• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you not familiar with Ayer? Half of his movies are decent, the other half are trash.

I'm just now looking at all the movies he's directed so far and wow.

Rotten Tomatoes scores:

Harsh Times 48%
Street Kings 36%
End of Watch 85%
Sabotage 20%
Fury 77%
Suicide Squad 26%

I don't think I want him directing a sequel to SS at all. WB needs to hire directors with a good track record.

Leto's Joker came across like Johnny Depp in that recent gangster film. But with bad makeup.

I dunno if that's a good or bad thing tho because I walked out of black mass thinking depps Whitey Bulger was a solid audition to play the joker honestly

And I don't think I've ever liked a David Ayer movie. Even found end of watch kinda overrated.

Does training day count if he just wrote it? Script for that movie sucked ass tbh. Denzel saved that one

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't really have a good sense for what the larger catastrophe even was. After a point, it felt like everything took place in a big orange post-apocalyptic city.

Nairume

Banned
So is this a film I should wait for the director's (or trailer people's) cut?
The editing is certainly an issue and a director's/improved cut would fix some of this movie's problems, there's a ton more issues that aren't going to go away no matter how much work is put in to recut it.

Which is a problem that they keep having with these movies and I desperately hope they manage to eventually stop doing.

The editing is certainly an issue and a director's/improved cut would fix some of this movie's problems, there's a ton more issues that aren't going to go away no matter how much work is put in to recut it.

Which is a problem that they keep having with these movies and I desperately hope they manage to eventually stop doing.
What're your issues that "can't be fixed?"

It was terrible, just terrible. I've seen stupid and lame villains before, but the witch siblings complete with disco dancing girl take the cake as the worst I've seen in a long ass time. Boring, stupid, cheesy, and worst of all, uninteresting.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
If they do a director's cut, which I doubt since a lot of the cut scenes change the tone of the movie, I'd like for the first act to be completely re-edited. There's absolutely zero flow between each scene in the first act.

Anung

Un Rama
I'm just now looking at all the movies he's directed so far and wow.

Rotten Tomatoes scores:

Harsh Times 48%
Street Kings 36%
End of Watch 85%
Sabotage 20%
Fury 77%
Suicide Squad 26%

I don't think I want him directing a sequel to SS at all. WB needs to hire directors with a good track record.

End of Watch was a great movie. I think Ayer's style would have been better suited to a GCPD movie. Focus on the police procedural stuff they have to deal with and have all the Batman stuff be auxiliary to the plot.

Nairume

Banned
I didn't really have a good sense for what the larger catastrophe even was. After a point, it felt like everything took place in a big orange post-apocalyptic city.
It really feels like they took the wrong lesson away from the complaints about all the collateral damage in MoS

since both this and BvS came up with really lazy reasons for having huge almost apocalyptically empty cityscapes

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
What's Scott Eastwood role in this? I've seen him in the trailer a bit, but is it developed in the film or is he non-existent?

guek

Banned
I have a hard time picturing this being worse than the theatrical cut of BvS but I'll see for myself soon enough.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Some of the quotes from the "Fresh" reviews don't even sound like a Fresh movie lol

Theresa Smith Independent Online (South Africa) said:
It starts off so well, but then the heavy hand of corporate DC filmmaking just leaches all the fizz and colour out of it.

Chris Klimek NPR said:
It wants so desperately to be subversive and irreverent in the manner of Fight Club or, more likely, Deadpool. And yet the most shocking thing about it is how risk-averse it turns out to be.

Heroman

Banned
another problem I had with the movie was that Tast force X is suppose to be the worst of the Worst right, but outside of Fire dude none are bad really.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
another problem I had with the movie was that Tast force X is suppose to be the worst of the Worst right, but outside of Fire dude none are bad really.

Killer Croc, Deadshot and Harley are pretty bad.

Boomerang just robs a lot of banks, I don't know if we are ever told why he is seen as such a bad guy and did we ever find out why Rope Guy is even in prison?

Boomerang just robs a lot of banks, I don't know if we are ever told why he is seen as such a bad guy and did we ever find out why Rope Guy is even in prison?
We didn't get anything about him lol.
Dude was around for like
all of 3 minutes on screen

Compare his performance in those few minutes to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqvbv-SB4bg and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3dl32LaOls. That's less than 10 minutes of Joker (the intro has about 2 minutes of Joker with the rest being exposition about his character) and plenty of time to get an idea about the sort of Joker we're getting.
Ledger's wouldn't be near as good if he is cast in this movie. I agree that Leto is trying too hard in the wrong direction, but writing/directing has a lot of influence to the actor's preformence. He could have been better.

Heroman

Banned

Are they? the worst thing Deadshot did was killed a mobster dude and we see him with the daughter so that right there takes him out, Killer croc I don't what he even did cause he barley character and Harley is weird, we don't see scenes where she is doing something bad. We know this character are bad do to the history of the character but the movie feel to make me feel like these due are the worst of the worst.

I walked out of BvS feeling like I had attended a 2.5 hour long wake. I'm glad you guys enjoyed it to whatever degree, but at least SS didn't try to send me to therapy for depression.

Yeah BvS at least evoked some feeling except for confusion. Suicide Squad was a big long boring trailer with no build up, hardly any context to stuff that's going on, just a mess. And the worst part about it is that I feel if they focused the story and didn't take it to some grand scale, the movie had a real chance of being pretty damn good.

thequestion

If they do a director's cut, which I doubt since a lot of the cut scenes change the tone of the movie, I'd like for the first act to be completely re-edited. There's absolutely zero flow between each scene in the first act.

You are on point on this and with the shitty musical score choices that were copy and pasted over some of the scenes that were obviously added by nervous studio heads.

I really hope you are wrong and we get an ultimate cut of this film with the pop music taken out and whatever the original score was, re-inserted into the scenes. I would chop off the first act completely and start the film with Waller talking to the government guys with the file folder of the potential candidates for her task force x.

I didn't hate the movie, but it wasn't the greatest either. A rotten score of 50% seems reasonable to me. Harley Quinn and Enchantress are really sexy in this film and would watch this movie again for the sole reason of just seeing these two femme fatales again. My libido bumps the score up to a 6/10.

duckroll

Now that I'm home I want to write a more substantial review for this to detail my thoughts, but every time I start I get angrier and more disappointed. This might take a while. :(

Now that I'm home I want to write a more substantial review for this to detail my thoughts, but every time I start I get angrier and more disappointed. This might take a while. :(
Honestly I don't know why anybody would waste their time on such a nothing film. It doesn't warrant the effort of a meticulous review.

I wanted to walk out of the film after an hour and haven't had that urge since Sandler's The Longest Yard.

Honestly I don't know why anybody would waste their time on such a nothing film. It doesn't warrant the effort of a meticulous review.

I wanted to walk out of the film after an hour and haven't had that urge since Sandler's The Longest Yard.

How did you end up seeing that in a theatre

This film that bad huh?

Will negative reception affect that stand alone Harley movie (assuming that's more than a rumor)?

Honestly, I was drowsing throughout the movie. At one time, I actually knocked out for a good 10 seconds. I tried real hard to like it, almost as much as the movie tried to impress me. It all felt like setpieces with no major outcome. It felt like Pirates of the Caribbean series or The Mummy series or Lord of the Ring series, except you get these unlikable characters that you barely care for and will ever care for. The way they introduced all the characters felt very weird, like some Instagram marketing video. The cameos were so forced and so CG, it was completely unnecessary. They tried to intertwine this within DCU but even that felt forced. They mentioned Superman more than they mentioned their own characters. It was all crammed into one movie and everyone got a very lengthy build up to the battle that leads to nowhere. Everything was bland and plain. The effects were blah, the ridiculous grunts that the enemies are, the hilarious ending. Everything was just a bit too loosely cut.

Sorry WB. You just fucked up by having an identity crisis, again.

Nairume

Banned
What're your issues that "can't be fixed?"
A director's cut of the movie won't fix the Enchantress and Incubus being uninteresting villains, nor will it fix the general lack of justification for the Joker being involved outside of flashback stuff*, nor will it completely fix the movie doing a terrible job juggling its cast, nor will it fix character issues that were obviously not victims of bad editing. This isn't to say that a recut version can't at least be less bad with those areas, but I don't think just adding back in scenes and recutting things are going to go as far as we'd all hope nor do I think holding out for a recut version of the movie is going to make a big difference on whether or not somebody is going to like the movie or not.

That said, while I am very unsatisfied with how this movie turned out, I sincerely hope it gets a sequel because there absolutely is potential for a great movie there and I really think the cast could knock it out of the park if they were working with better material going by what they were able to do with what they were given here. I loves me some Will Smith, Margot Robbie is perfectly cast, and this movie did the unthinkable and made me enjoy Jai Courtney's presence and be fine with seeing him pop up again. That last bit has to count for something.

edit:
*As clarification, this kinda is something that could be fixed in editing, but let's be real and admit that a possible director's cut isn't going to cut more of the Joker out of the film.

Oh yeah the opening digital intro cards for each character with character profile tidbits that seemed to be written by the film's titling team screamed straight to dvd producer trying to be creative with a film in post.

duckroll

I too felt like walking out by the time they got to the bar scene. Obviously I wouldn't do that, because I don't walk out of movies, but I really felt by then that I had basically wasted my time completely. :(

Did the opening title credits feel REALLY weird to anyone else? That was like, a really bad sign. I'm not talking about the character introduction cards, but the studio logos, followed by character intros, and then the lead up to the Suicide Squad title logo. It just felt really odd and mistimed completely. Instead of an intriguing or exciting lead up to the title logo, it was a bunch of shit thrown together, with no momentum at all. Weird.

Nairume

Banned
Oh yeah the opening digital intro cards for each character with character profile tidbits that seemed to be written by the film's titling team screamed straight to dvd producer trying to be creative with a film in post.
The hilarious thing about it is that

As soon as Slipknot turns up without having had one of those (aside from having his picture in the one briefing, it was like the movie immediately painted a target over him and said "yeah, this dude isn't surviving this film"

Illucio

Banned
Okay so things the sequel needs:

1. Remember that the bad guys are BAD GUYS.

2. Better writing, no more throwing in characters just to be there because you don't have time for them.

3. Better fight scenes

4. A Joker that doesn't look like a thug. (Just clean him up and give us something like the Joker from the Arkham games.) Let his Bullshit reasoning to removing all that shit is that it's his way of cleaning himself up in order to win back Harleys affection or something.

5. More back story on the wrong doings of the characters and why they deserve to be in prison.

6. If absolutely necessary only add 2 new characters tops, but in all seriousness work on the characters you already got. But adding a Killer Frost to the squad, and put poison ivy into the movie giving Harley super powers/while being a romantic love interest would be interesting. (Love triangle with Joker, Deadshot, AND Poison Ivy? Fucking entertaining. )

7. Better audio mixing

8. Give a reason as to why a song should be playing. They hit a jukebox, they plug earphones in listening to songs in their phone, give some sort of reasoning that's not too cheesy and fits the feel of the scene without being too try hard about it.

9. Don't make a villain super powerful as fuck but then weak in the final battle.

10. Let the movie be R rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom