• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebron

Had fun with it, but it's not a polished film at all. 5-6 seems about right to me. It feels like it could have been a homerun, but WB rushing fuckery came into play. I really don't have much faith in DCU after this.

Media

Just watched this. I give it a solid meh. Deadshot and Harley did carry the movie, and had the most chemistry. The actor who played Diablo was good, but wasn't given enough dialogue to really shine. Everyone else aside from Waller and Joker was totally forgettable.

Funny in parts, but I recommend friends wait for rental on it.

I also wanna say that the original soundtrack is pretty fire. Especially Heathens and Sucker for Pain. Gangster isn't bad either neither is the action Bronson song or the Skrillex one and most of this is totally out of my range of tastes. Think I'm gunna grab the soundtrack.

My brand is accuracy and sensibility
EJVWKv.gif

Blizzard

Banned
Just watched this. I give it a solid meh. Deadshot and Harley did carry the movie, and had the most chemistry. The actor who played Diablo was good, but wasn't given enough dialogue to really shine. Everyone else aside from Waller and Joker was totally forgettable.

Funny in parts, but I recommend friends wait for rental on it.
This is a pretty decent summary for how I felt, except for the Joker, who I'll follow up on below.

I also wanna say that the original soundtrack is pretty fire. Especially Heathens and Sucker for Pain. Gangster isn't bad either neither is the action Bronson song or the Skrillex one and most of this is totally out of my range of tastes. Think I'm gunna grab the soundtrack.
The soundtrack had some really bizarre tonal shifts to me. There was the stuff you mention, but it would randomly bounce between that, Jimi Hendrix, Queen, and so forth. I would have probably preferred sticking with one or the other.

Anyway, I saw the movie tonight myself. I've heard the phrase "persistent dumpster fire" used to describe recent DC universe movies, and I kind of agree after watching both BvS and Suicide Squad in theaters. I didn't even mind Man of Steel much as far as I recall, but since then it's been downhill. Suicide Squad thoughts:

• Soundtrack was all over the place tonally as mentioned above -- shifting styles and sudden changes. Editing was likewise kind of abrupt in places, almost as if they had people who normally edit trailers working on it.
  • Special effects were passable. Camerawork wasn't awful. Costumes were decent.
  • Writing was ok for some characters (or else Will Smith just really sells his lines) and baaaaad for others (Enchantress had some Power Rangers level stuff).
  • Plot and villains were kind of lame. The first 40 minutes drag out, the second 40 minutes are fun, and the last 40 minutes are kind of mindless fighting, smoke, and slow motion.
  • Characters were good besides the really useless guy (
    Boomerang, I guess he was the comic relief?
    ).
  • Acting was decent, I felt, besides Jared Leto. The standouts were Margot Robbie and, surprisingly, Will Smith. I feel like Will Smith did his best in quite some time.
  • I really didn't like Jared Leto's Joker. It was just weird, awkward, and distracting. I guess he was going for the gangster Joker voice but it was sort of all over.

Specifically about Jared Leto, my girlfriend loves him and didn't mind his Joker. She said every scene, she imagined him without the makeup. Despite that, she didn't like the overall plot and said she'd really hoped it was going to be a better movie.

Overall I'd say it is quite mediocre, maybe 5/10 for me. I enjoyed it more than BvS at least.

Blizzard

Banned
I forgot to mention, my theater had what sounded like 12-year-old boys behind me explaining stuff while crinkling candy wrappers, AND a baby several rows forward making happy baby calls.

shingi70

Banned
"Film critics showed up to see a film, not validate their obsession with a fucking action figure."

oh lawd

Doesn't this argument lose weight considering most popular things are popular because it's basically action figures or a turn your brain off movie like Transformers.

Just saw it, was not very impressed overall. The movie had some funny bits, Robbie steals the show as Harley but that was about it really for me.

Plot was very muddled, cgi Egyptian monster should have not been in there and the eyebrow girl playing the witch looked ridiculous with the Hawaiian belly dancing near the special effect of doom. Which looked like the one in fan4stic but thankfully this movie never sinks that low. Like the only time Enchantress looked menacing was at the end.

Leto wasn't a very captivating Joker, he fell kinda flat for me. Maybe Batfleck movie can get more out of him.

jett

D-Member
Doesn't this argument lose weight considering most popular things are popular because it's basically action figures or a turn your brain off movie like Transformers.

Yeah well that line was in relation to fanboys freaking out over rottentomatoes and shitting on film critics.

Worst film I have seen in ages. For real. Total fuckng mess. Huge disappointment from Ayer. 100% dud. Wtf happened? :(

Yeah I'm definitely not biting the bullet for this movie.

But is it worse than Fantastic Four?

This is sounding actually a lot of like Fant4stic. Watched that thing a few days ago. Not interested in watching something like that ever again.

duckroll

In terms of badness, I would easily compare this to Maleficent and Transformers 2. The problem is that the entire movie is a mess and not an interesting mess. It feels like all the interesting parts got chopped out and all the lameass boring Syfy stuff was left over.

Terrible editing, awful flow, bland as fuck cinematography, crappy effects. Nothing works smoothly at all. Even the music is shit. Good song selections but the entire soundtrack feels like a series of music videos cut together instead of something that enhances and complements the film.

vordhosbn

Banned
Some elements were quite nice, especially Harley Quinn(?) was executed quite nicely but I couldn't give less of a shit about the rest of the squad members. They're all so lame, and the editing was quite crappy. The first 30mins was just too exhausting, who really wants to hear the greatest hits of the last 50 years? It's just so predictable and shit.

neoism

lol, can you blame him? They've spent the better part of a year talking up the crazy shit he's been doing to get in character, and nearly everything he shot gets cut from the movie.

wtf lol is ther any news on a directors extened cut for DHD or bluray if soo will wait for it like BvSUC

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Maleficent is a surprisingly apt comparison.

duckroll

didn't you go to see gods of egypt or whatever?

Yeah. That was pretty bad. I think this might be worst. Well, I guess at least it isn't racist. Gods of Egypt was a bad corny film which made sense. Suicide Squad is a bad messy film which doesn't make much sense. I don't think there was a single scene of daylight in this either. Really unpleasant.

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah. That was pretty bad. I think this might be worst. Well, I guess at least it isn't racist. Gods of Egypt was a bad corny film which made sense. Suicide Squad is a bad messy film which doesn't make much sense. I don't think there was a single scene of daylight in this either. Really unpleasant.

Hmmm.

Now debating whether I should go watch it tomorrow.

shoplifter

I liked it, and would pay money to see a Bonnie and Clyde style "Harley Loves Mista J".

As a film it's a mess, But Digger Harkness on the big screen was a treat. In fact, I'd love to see more DC villains get their own movies. It's one area that DC shines.

Edit: I thought Leto was actually good, but I guess a lot of people are going to compare his Joker to Ledger's. They're two completely different versions of the character but both are accurate to how J had been portrayed at one point or another. I think it's fair to take a punt on him though until we get the scenes that were cut.

BRUTAL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL7UStivFHY

This thing is going to crater.

I wanna review this review. It's easy to make things sound bad, you just take quotes out of context and and play them after building the anticipation that its cringy. Basically telling the audience "this is going to be bad ready! Now listen to this!". Dark isn't bad, it fits the tone of the movie (or the tone it tries to convey). Harley was great and so was Deadshot.

Anyway, solid 6.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom