• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still mad. All this for nothing. Margot did all her stunts for nothing.
kx0Msegl.jpg

Well I'm relived you're feeling the same way I do. Hopefully more level headed thinking will prevail. It's fine to not like something but hyperbole isn't very constructive however it is admittedly fun. Yay internet.

I think the caracters especially Deadshot and Diablo were thoughtful and a big reason I was down with the movie as a whole. I even liked killer Croc.

I'd like to see a second Suicide Squad. DC can scrap the justice leauge stuff. I'd be satisfied.
I'd really like to see SS2 also just because I think this has the potential to be great and really special, the team just had a troubled development and for better or worse this is what we got.

Let's be real, is "don't see this movie" really that much a worse message than "this movie that is not reviewing well is fiiiiiine, ignore the haters"?

Personally, yes, I have already told friends that I do not recommend seeing it, but, if any of them does not go see the movie, it won't be because I told them not to. It will be because they weren't really that interested in it in the first place.
I'm not even really saying that aside from to people who have already seen it and liked it. I'm just saying let people go see it for themselves and form their own opinion. If I read only the last few pages of this thread and stayed home then watched it later I'd be pretty disappointed that I missed out. And I mean even if you don't want to go see it just yet I'd rather people give others reasons they didn't like it and let them base their opinions off of that then just because someone said "it sux don't see it".

Burt

Okay, okay, I forgot about Munich, and I haven't seen Defiance in forever.

But Spy is better than CraigBond.

korona15

Banned
Left after 30 minutes in. Not sure if it was me being tired or if the movie was simply boring. Next time I'll go in fully alert and with a cup of coffee, it could have been just me.

J_Viper

Look.

I could let a lot slide. I think both MoS and BvS are great. I love the Fast & Furious franchise. That should give you an idea of how lenient I can be.

Suicide Squad, however, is terrible. Downright terrible. It's so bad that I now have a newfound appreciation for X-Men: Apocalypse. It's so bad, I'm going to re-watch Street Kings to cleanse my palate.

Holy fuck this movie is a FUCKING MESS. The pacing, the dialogue, the villain, the editing, the nonstop licensed tracks ever five minutes, the lack of any character development, nearly all of it.

To give you an idea of how fucked this shit is, that scene from the trailer with Batman chasing down Joker and Harley is less than a minute long. What the fuck man.

And the worst part, there's not even any memorable action scenes to fall back on! There's not a single second of choreographed action that's at all memorable or enjoyable to watch. It's literally faceless soldiers getting shot. IT'S LITERALLY HORDE MODE. The final boss fight is just terrible.

The only positives here are the main cast. Will Smith brings it even with the little that he's given. Viola Davis does great work, but she isn't given much to do either. Margot did her best, but she's unfortunately stuck with the worst lines in the movie. Leto has potential, but he's in the movie for a whole two minutes, there's not really enough of him to judge. Everyone else does decently, I guess. There's not really much to go on for the supporting characters.

Ayer says this is his cut, but I don't believe that for a god damn second. It can't be. There's just no way he could let this happen voluntarily. Even fucking Roland Emmerich wouldn't let this happen voluntarily.

I'm in shock.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
They actually already tried that route with Green Lantern and Man Of Steel (which wasn't supposed to be the DCEU kickstarter it retroactively became). Those movies didn't make what they should, so WB figured going the Mahvel route would be a surefire way to make some hits.

Everything WB/DC does ends up all fucked to be honest.

That's the "standalone" route. But then again, DC has been doing that since 1978.

Surely it's not the "auteur arthouse" direction. Snyder? Maybe in the mid-2000s you could believe it.

I'm thinking more like.... what if PT Anderson wanted to make a DC movie? Or if that's crazy then Alejandro González Iñárritu? Tarantino? Or whoever. Real film artists. That's what Nolan was back in 2005: a very oddly artistic choice.

Actually back when Darren Aronosky was attached to Batman, and then moved to Nolan, they might have been thinking of that more arthouse direction 15 years ago. But they didn't follow through after Nolan. We're nearly back to Schumacher territory.....

liquidtmd

Banned
The fact that I enjoyed Man of Steel more than Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad...
tumblr_inline_o41g9h9HYH1qzxf0m_540.jpg

Hey MoS at least felt like a cohesive whole, with a start middle and end that had the confidence to say 'this is the movie I wish to be' even if you didn't like it (I did overall)

DoJ and SS (the latter I have not seen but judging on the opinions coming out...) are movies that regardless what you think of their content, seem to be suffering major identity crisis' from an editorial and tonal point of view that stem directly from the studio frantically panicking to Assemble an overarching movie universe

I'm curious what people were expecting this movie to be with the mostly negative reactions it's getting. I anticipated feeling like I wasted evening but left feeling entertained. Maybe my ignorance to all that is riding on fan expectations is why I enjoyed it?

Shame WB is already too deep in this bed they've made not to start this universe from scratch again.

There's very little about these films that can't be smoothed over in the same universe. Two for me are (BvS and Suicide Squad spoilers)
killing Superman off this early; already in the Marvel trap of undermining death. And the entire dynamic between Joker and Harley.

Nairume

Banned
I'm not even really saying that aside from to people who have already seen it and liked it. I'm just saying let people go see it for themselves and form their own opinion.
This is a terrible viewpoint. The whole point of reviews existing (as well as why we even have discussions over things like this) is that not everybody has the luxury of experiencing things through trial and error. Movies take money and time to go see in theaters, and not everybody has those things available at all times. For those people, both praise and criticism goes a long way in helping people not waste their time.

Were I in that position of having limited time and money to spend on going to the movies (and I absolutely have been in the past), I'd have been furious if it turned out that everybody with legitimate criticisms of this movie had just shut up about it "so I could make my own opinion."

Look.

I could let a lot slide. I think both MoS and BvS are great. I love the Fast & Furious franchise. That should give you an idea of how lenient I can be.

Suicide Squad, however, is terrible. Downright terrible. It's so bad that I now have a newfound appreciation for X-Men: Apocalypse. It's so bad, I'm going to re-watch Street Kings to cleanse my palate.

Holy fuck this movie is a FUCKING MESS. The pacing, the dialogue, the villain, the editing, the nonstop licensed tracks ever five minutes, the lack of any character development, nearly all of it.

To give you an idea of how fucked this shit is, that scene from the trailer with Batman chasing down Joker and Harley is less than a minute long. What the fuck man.

And the worst part, there's not even any memorable action scenes to fall back on! There's not a single second of choreographed action that's at all memorable or enjoyable to watch. It's literally faceless soldiers getting shot. IT'S LITERALLY HORDE MODE. The final boss fight is just terrible.

The only positives here are the main cast. Will Smith brings it even with the little that he's given. Viola Davis does great work, but she isn't given much to do either. Margot did her best, but she's unfortunately stuck with the worst lines in the movie. Leto has potential, but he's in the movie for a whole two minutes, there's not really enough of him to judge. Everyone else does decently, I guess. There's not really much to go on for the supporting characters.

Ayer says this is his cut, but I don't believe that for a god damn second. It can't be. There's just no way he could let this happen voluntarily. Even fucking Roland Emmerich wouldn't let this happen voluntarily.

I'm in shock.
I don't disagree with your complaints but lmao X-Men Apocalypse has the same villan issue except arguably worse considering he walks around like he's hot shit then pretty much does nothing, that and it's characters overall sucked. Though the action wasn't great I didn't have any major issues with it, but I did hate the villains goons, so fucking dumb and a waste along with their plan being just incredibly uninspired. I wish they didn't remove any of the joker scenes since I really like this portrayal and really wasn't expecting anything from it and they definitely used the licensed music way too often, sometimes I liked it but when they were playing Led Zeppelin among other things it was like "Okay guys.. enough". Editing is unforgivable though and it's pretty obviously not what Ayer had envisioned, he even kind of made up excuses for it.

This is a terrible viewpoint. The whole point of reviews existing (as well as why we even have discussions over things like this) is that not everybody has the luxury of experiencing things through trial and error. Movies take money and time to go see in theaters, and not everybody has those things available at all times. For those people, both praise and criticism goes a long way in helping people not waste their time.

Were I in that position of having limited time and money to spend on going to the movies (and I absolutely have been in the past), I'd have been furious if it turned out that everybody with legitimate criticisms of this movie had just shut up about it "so I could make my own opinion."
While I understand and appreciate what you're saying, you're ignoring the part where I was talking about expanding on said issues with the movie so you're kind of taking the statement out of context when it's meant to be viewed as a whole. There's a difference between saying "this is bad because of this, this, and this and I didn't like it" vs "this is bad" and that's the distinction I'm trying to make. I'm not in here white knighting about the movie and saying it's perfect like you seemed to suggest earlier and I'm in here with you guys talking about the movies flaws and what I liked vs what I didn't like so it doesn't look like we're on opposite sides of the fence here. I just think if you're going to try to convince someone of what you're opinion is and why you should spend time being constructive and or critical instead of just making empty statements.

stop with the generalizations and false dichotomy. Negative reactions and expectations can be mutually exclusive.

This has very little to do with expectations. Stop drawing your own imaginary lines. You liked the movie. Fine. It's done.
OK so fine let's just have this thread be a circlejerk whatever.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I really don't think he was saying that since Ledger's death didn't make them release more unseen footage. I think it was his way of saying that they fucked him over and that if he dies, they'll be nice and release all the scenes he worked hard on.

The film doesn't need more Joker, it probably needs less if anything.

Cuburt

I too felt like walking out by the time they got to the bar scene. Obviously I wouldn't do that, because I don't walk out of movies, but I really felt by then that I had basically wasted my time completely. :(

Did the opening title credits feel REALLY weird to anyone else? That was like, a really bad sign. I'm not talking about the character introduction cards, but the studio logos, followed by character intros, and then the lead up to the Suicide Squad title logo. It just felt really odd and mistimed completely. Instead of an intriguing or exciting lead up to the title logo, it was a bunch of shit thrown together, with no momentum at all. Weird.

I thought introducing Deadshot and Harley should have waited until after the title, when Waller starts identifying the team. It's weird how Waller starts narrating after those scenes and it reintroduces them a few minutes later but I really like how she sets up the team and it goes straight into the title card.

If they lengthed her scene a bit to start the film that way, it would have been cool. I actually felt myself getting hyped for a second, but the editing killed that momentum immediately for me.

overcast

I'm okay with them using licensed music but it didn't create a tone or sense of identity for this film. They would have done better with decent application or a score.

Fuck.. this movie was mediocre.

You would know what a circle jerk looks like since you're spending the majority of your time conversing with the other one dude here who liked it wondering why the fuck no one else gest it.

While there have been plenty of "hated" comments here and there, a lot of people have taken the time to type out elaborate posts explaining why they hated it. Neither of you have taken the time to acknowledge any of these posts or ask questions.

No, you don't want a circle jerk, instead, you're comfortable making leaps of logic as to why people hated it. That's laziness. Just like this movie's writing.

You're clearly not reading my posts of that's what you're getting out of them and quite honestly just seem really upset for some reason about whatever. I don't see why you're being so overly aggressive especially when everyone in here is being fairly friendly despite opposing views. Maybe back away from the screen a bit and come back when you're feeling like less of a dick and are ready to actually take the time to read posts instead of projecting on to others.

And there are quite a few people in here who enjoyed the film if you actually take the time to read the thread but you're too busy being reactionary and antagonistic.

You would know what a circle jerk looks like since you're spending the majority of your time conversing with the other one dude here who liked it wondering why the fuck no one else gest it.

While there have been plenty of "hated" comments here and there, a lot of people have taken the time to type out elaborate posts explaining why they hated it. Neither of you have taken the time to acknowledge any of these posts or ask questions.

No, you don't want a circle jerk, instead, you're comfortable making leaps of logic as to why people hated it. That's laziness. Just like this movie's writing.
I honestly didn't see myself being lazy and jumping to conclusions but you got me. I'm not adding to this thread. I'll see myself out.

I'm curious what people were expecting this movie to be with the mostly negative reactions it's getting. I anticipated feeling like I wasted evening but left feeling entertained. Maybe my ignorance to all that is riding on fan expectations is why I enjoyed it?

I expected it to be better than BvS and it couldn't even surpass that dog turd.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm okay with them using licensed music but it didn't create a tone or sense of identity for this film. They would have done better with decent application or a score.

Fuck.. this movie was mediocre.

So that's definitely all about Warner execs getting the feedback that Bohemian Rhapsody was the best part of the trailer, right?

Spam licensed music! Fire everything!!

Ricitor

Well I am disappointed as hell. I actually had faith in the first 40 minutes or so. There was a style with the music that made it fun and enjoyable. Editing issues aside the movie was at least having some goofy and likable moments to work with. Then once the "meat" of the movie starts it just goes to shit. Best song choice was definitely
Spirit in the Sky
because that is the exact moment the movie kills itself. Action scenes were bland as hell or just plain hideous
I am looking at you final fight scene!
. Villain was fucking awful and the bits of interaction hardly make me feel like they would give a shit about each other.

Also with regards to the ending. The
Killer Croc BET
bit really pissed me off.

Power to the people who liked it, but man I walked out of this one mad.

Dead

well not really...yet
That's the nuclear option I guess, but BvS didn't actually bomb, and this won't either. Who knows with Wonder Woman, but Justice League will probably still make money.

I'm all up for an emergency reboot myself. This universe is built on the decaying foundations of Zack Snyder*. These movies are never going to be good. The level of course correction needed to right the ship is too much I think.

And I can probably take another scene of Krypton exploding lol, why not. Snyder's idea of Krypton was complete balls anyway.

*edit: A Zack Snyder misguidedly trying to make a Superman movie feel "grounded" like Nolan's Batmans. What a MORAN.
But Nolan himself set the tone for a grounded Superman, not Snyder. It's as much Nolan's foundations as Snyder's.

In Nolan's own words from the Making of Book:

Science Fiction were the words at the core of the pitch. Ground the tale by dealing head-on with the implications of an alien walking among us

Like, I get that people hate Snyder and think a "grounded" Superman was his idea...but it wasn't.

But Nolan himself set the tone for a grounded Superman, not Snyder. It's as much Nolan's foundations as Snyder's.

In Nolan's own words from the Making of Book:

Like, I get that people hate Snyder and think a "grounded" Superman was his idea...but it wasn't.

I actually liked that aspect of the movie. It's awful dialogue at certain times really hurts the movie tho. But conceptually i definitely fuck with the 2 snyder dc movies.

I'll make up my own mind when I leave my own screen and how I feel. Thanks. Antagonistic? You take responsibility for your own behavior. Like name calling.

It needed no Joker whatsoever. His character served no purpose to the overall plot or story. He was shameless pandering to the fans.
Say whatever you want but you come off as an asshole so maybe it's best to just end this interaction here since you don't seem interested in any kind of actual discussion about the movie.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I liked it more than the reviews suggested. But it's still not a very good movie. It has some good moments here and there, the cast is generally really good. But otherwise... ehhhhhhhh...

pigeon

Banned
This movie is comprehensively bad. In case you might not really notice some kinds of badness, it makes a list of all the different ways a movie could be bad and does its best to check off each one. Characters are terrible. Misogyny is rampant. Action scenes are cluttered and boring. Plot twists are telegraphed from a mile away, with one exception. Not that it matters since the movie has no stakes so who cares what happens in the plot? Even basic storytelling structure is lost in the effort to rush through the two hours.

I feel bad for the actors trying really hard to make this movie worth making. Everybody else betrayed them.

First half was really solid. Second half especially the final act, was pretty bad. Lots of potential and nots as bad as the 29% on rotten tomatoes suggests.

Still a relatively mediocre movies though.

First half was really solid. Second half especially the final act, was pretty bad. Lots of potential and nots as bad as the 29% on rotten tomatoes suggests.

Still a relatively mediocre movies though.

Once again, the 26% RT means only 26 percent of reviewers gave it a decently positive review. The average score is 4.7 out of 10. Perfectly mediocre.

Four sevenths out of ten? Or did you mean 4-7 out of 10?

4.7. Typing too fast.

Lemaitre

Banned
Saw it tonight in IMAX at Downtown Disney.

It was...better than what rotten tomatoes suggests. I'd give it a solid 6/10.The worst thing about it is that the movie is pretty boring at times.

It wasn't as subversive as the marketing made it suggest too.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Apparently the
brother's
design was changed from
being covered in body parts of the people he absorbed early on to whatever that thing was that we got.

I bet that's why the CGI was so bad compared to the rest of the film, they just didn't have enough time.

Apparently the
brother's
design was changed from
being covered in body parts of the people he absorbed early on to whatever that thing was that we got.

I bet that's why the CGI was so bad compared to the rest of the film, they just didn't have enough time.
That would've been so trippy and infinitely better than glowing metal man.i liked the "dark" Enchantress's vibe and look and I think something in vein of that with a mass of body parts wouldve been much more visually interesting and fit the movie better.

Dead

well not really...yet
Apparently the
brother's
design was changed from

That makes sense since he literally just starts to
absorb people like a katamari damaci ball when he is born.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
That makes sense since he literally just starts to [
absorb people like a katamari damaci ball when he is born.

That scene was spooky as hell.

They got away with a lot of gnarly shit for a PG13 film.

Harmen

Take a step back and ask yourself why, as a studio, you establish a cinematic universe.

It's for the halo effect. You hope that the good vibes viewers have from one movie will translate into their willingness to watch another in the universe.

But this DCCU has been so bad, at least for me, that it's having an opposite halo effect. I am less willing to see a movie if it is set in this universe. If you announced that Wonder Woman were going back to the drawing board and being re-worked into a standalone film, I'd be more likely to see it than any DCCU-connected version.

I think the DCCU is tainted, and it doesn't seem tenable to start over.

I say go back to standalone films from creative auteurs. Look to The Dark Knight. That was DC's strength and the model they should have followed, not Avengers. That doesn't mean copy Nolan. That means open the gates to real filmmakers and give them real creative control. Be the opposite of Marvel, who demand directors that need to play ball with the studio and stay "on brand". Instead, be the arthouse destination for superhero films.

The general audience sure as shit didn't go to BvS because of MoS and didn't go to SS because of BvS. I can see part of the general audience digging SS (pop music, vibrant presentation, humor), but I really doubt it does JL or WW that much goodwill in the end.

MCU works because people are invested in the characters and because Marvel took the time to build those. If you are not going to do that and instead just try to cram in all kinds of famous comic books without any direction, you indeed might as well just go and let a director loose on an existing comic book story.

Dram

He probably doesn't want to say anything that could hurt his career like Josh Trank did.

--

I haven't seen the movie yet, so I'm not sure if its fair to compare them, but why did Guardians of the Galaxy connect with audiences, while it seems like Suicide Squad hasn't?

i really liked it

didnt go in expecting anything deep, just popcorn fun and got exactly that.

a million times better than batman vs zzzzzzz

Theorry

Saw it last night. Quite liked it. Overal introduction was very good. After that it becomes abit more generic. But still enjoyable and time flew by. Cool to see Quinn on the big screen also. Give it a 7.5/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom