• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animator

That would've been so trippy and infinitely better than glowing metal man.i liked the "dark" Enchantress's vibe and look and I think something in vein of that with a mass of body parts wouldve been much more visually interesting and fit the movie better.

Yea it was way better than what is in the movie. Both the enchantress and the brother had design changes like weekly though it was ridiculous.

At the end whoever did the color correction for the movie destroyed the vfx anyway since you can't see anything with how dark everything is.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Yea it was way better than what is in the movie. Both the enchantress and the brother had design changes like weekly though it was ridiculous.

At the end whoever did the color correction for the movie destroyed the vfx anyway since you can't see anything with how dark everything is.

What were some of the potential designs you saw? Was it just the corpse one and the final one?

dmshaposv

Viola Davis, Will Smith and Jay hernandez carried the film.

Jared leto and margot robbie did not work. Leto's joker was too harshly edited to be intimidating or cool or whatever he was trying to be. Robbie's comic timing was off.

Others were forgettable.

Better than batvssup, tho. Id give it a 5/10.

Animator

Design changes were mostly to his armor and tattoos and general color. Basically all the cool stuff inside him got hidden under those over time. I still hate that armor design with a passion. But hey client makes the calls since they pay the bills.

Einchy

Design changes were mostly to his armor and tattoos and general color. Basically all the cool stuff inside him got hidden under those over time. I still hate that armor design with a passion. But hey client makes the calls since they pay the bills.

Yeah, it was an odd choice to go with, seems like they picked the most generic design they had and it especially stood out since Enchantress looked so good. At least her first "costume" did, wasn't the biggest fan of the second one.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Viola Davis, Will Smith and Jay hernandez carried the film.

Jared leto and margot robbie did not work. Leto's joker was too harshly edited to be intimidating or cool or whatever he was trying to be. Robbie's comic timing was off.

Others were forgettable.

Better than batvssup, tho. Id give it a 5/10.

Hernandez was fantastic. Like holy shit good.

Monocle

Enchantress owns. Even with those janky face effects toward the end, she's great.

I approve of her freaky spell-dancing, BTW.

Hernandez was fantastic. Like holy shit good.
Yep. Big surprise. Margot Robbie was definitely the #1 standout apart from Will Smith though.

Sure, the humor was a bit off at times, but she totally nails Harley's loopy personality, ricocheting between psycho-ditzy-lucid without missing a beat. And that bar scene, damn. "Own that shit" was powerful.

Einchy

Enchantress owns. Even with those janky face effects toward the end, she's great.

Yep. Big surprise. Margot Robbie was definitely the #1 standout apart from Will Smith though.

Sure, the humor was a bit off at times, but she totally nails Harley's loopy personality, ricocheting between psycho-ditzy-lucid without missing a beat. And that bar scene, damn. "Own that shit" was powerful.

I think the only Harley line that felt really force and not at all funny was the voices in her head scene, everything else worked for me.

Monocle

I think the only Harley line that felt really force and not at all funny was the voices in her head scene, everything else worked for me.
That and the following scene in the helicopter with Katana felt off. Otherwise nothing really stands out. Solid performance. Better than solid for me, actually. She really embodies the character.

Qvoth

just finished... i can't in good conscience give this anything more than 5/10 from me
wtzgU.gif

i think i agree with the reviews saying negative things about the editing

I approve of her freaky spell-dancing, BTW.

I liked her and Boomerang, everyone else was a big meh. Enchantress' dancing was like from some exploitative 60's hippie/psychedelic cemetery stripper horror flick. Really funny and sexy. :)

6.5/10. I enjoyed it, it was a fun movie, decent, but not "good". Good enough to watch it again sometime. Joker was kinda pointless though.

im still on the fence

i was waiting for tuesday, for discount tickets

margot and jai are my australian baes plus i've been a fan of leto for the longest time, so.... i was very excited for this

but, .... have to admit my hype has sort of died :x

SilentRob

And that bar scene, damn. "Own that shit" was powerful.

I really, really disliked that scene and the "Own that shit" moment. I honestly facepalmed while sitting in the theater because I couldn't believe they went there.

At no point did any of these characters ever actually build a relationship with each other. There is absolutely no reason for them to suddenly be friends with each other, there was no character development, nothing.

What would have been believable to me would have been Harley mocking Hernandez in that scene. "Oh, boohoo, I have amazing powers but I can't deal with my wife disagreeing with me so I exploded her, silly me. Get the fuck out of here with your self-pity and stop talking to me, you pussy."

Like, that's what would have made sense with her being built up as that crazy psychopath. Hell, they call her "crazier than the Joker". And then she gives some random stranger who doesn't want to fight with her a pep talk telling him to confront his feelings? Come on.

And then just...everyone falls in line with them? Like, Deadshots motivation to suddenly be not evil anymore was far-fetched, but at least they tried. Harley just kinda goes "Alright, I have nothing else to do, I guess I'm going to do what the people who just murdered the love of my life wanted me to do!. Croc just shrugs. And Mister "What the fuck am I doing here I have a Boomerang" actually leaves(which makes sense for his character)...but then just comes back in the very next scene with no explanation at all.

The bar scene was supposed to be the emotional center of the movie, where everyone's motivations fall in line and their previous character development led to a change of hearts but hoooly shit, was that a trainwreck.

Houndi101

I really, really disliked that scene and the "Own that shit" moment. I honestly facepalmed while sitting in the theater because I couldn't believe they went there.

At no point did any of these characters ever actually build a relationship with each other. There is absolutely no reason for them to suddenly be friends with each other, there was no character development, nothing.

What would have been believable to me would have been Harley mocking Hernandez in that scene. "Oh, boohoo, I have amazing powers but I can't deal with my wife disagreeing with me so I exploded her, silly me. Get the fuck out of here with your self-pity and stop talking to me, you pussy."

Like, that's what would have made sense with her being built up as that crazy psychopath. Hell, they call her "crazier than the Joker". And then he gives some random stranger who doesn't want to fight with her a pep talk telling him to confront his feelings? Come on.

And then just...everyone falls in line with them? Like, Deadshots motivation to suddenly be not evil anymore was far-fetched, but at least they tried. Harley just kinda goes "Alright, I have nothing else to do, I guess I'm going to do what the people who just murdered the love of my life wanted me to do!. Croc just shrugs. And Mister "What the fuck am I doing here I have a Boomerang" actually leaves(which makes sense for his character)...but then just comes back in the very next scene with no explanation at all.

The bar scene was supposed to be the emotional center of the movie, where everyone's motivations fall in line and their previous character development led to a change of hearts but hoooly shit, was that a trainwreck.
Ooh boy this sounds like they wanted to go for the standing around in a circle like idiots scene from GOTG

Ooh boy this sounds like they wanted to go for the standing around in a circle like idiots scene from GOTG

it's pretty apparent they wanted a gotg-like hit with this but come on man, soooo many ensemble films before guardians have had that little "group talks in a room and understands each other" scene, it's practically a guarantee in these types of films now. it's how they make the characters develop.

Houndi101

it's pretty apparent they wanted a gotg-like hit with this but come on man, soooo many ensemble films before guardians have had that little "group talks in a room and understands each other" scene, it's practically a guarantee in these types of films now.
Eh, that's true. But I think it was one of the better scenes in GOTG and freaking Batista of all people got me to tear up.

Eh, that's true. But I think it was one of the better scenes in GOTG and freaking Batista of all people got me to tear up.

Yeah, it is well written. The opposite of how SS' bar scene is. SS scene is very awkward, the chemistry isn't there.

I'm pretty sure GoTG crew and cast had really fun shooting the film while SS crew had more of a terrible time (judging from the current rumors).

Poona

im still on the fence

margot and jai are my australian baes plus i've been a fan of leto for the longest time, so.... i was very excited for this

Go to it then. Stuff reviews.

You've just given three reasons to see it, so see it for those reasons at least and make your mind up rather than choosing to possibly parrot a review for something you haven't even seen.

I avoided reviews before I even saw this as I wanted to go in unspoiled, so they had no effect on me. I only wanted to see it as I had been following the making of it, so had only seen bits of that and the official hype and trailers.

The fact you talk of Australia and Tuesday for cheaper tickets has me assuming you live in Australia. You're not with Telstra or Optus? They offer cheaper movie tickets for various cinemas, and I know Optus ones (who I'm with) at least seem to come out even cheaper than waiting for Tuesdays, so I saw it on opening day (before it even opened in the US).

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
im still on the fence

you don't know whether you'll like it until you've seen it.

DeathyBoy

Banned

The funny thing is that the GOTG characters barely knew each other either, and people were fine with them deciding they were a family.

Like I get GOTG's popularity and it's a film I enjoy a lot, but it's full of just as many "go with it" moments. The entire superhero film genre is comprised of characters suddenly being in love or being best friends with minimal set up, or in Civil War's case we're told Cap and Tony are friends turned adversaries after two Avengers films where they barely got on at all.

JB1981

I actually liked that aspect of the movie. It's awful dialogue at certain times really hurts the movie tho. But conceptually i definitely fuck with the 2 snyder dc movies.

Definitely. The "first contact" aspects of MoS were great. Would have been a far better movie had Nolan directed though.

One of the main problems with the script for MoS is that it doesn't make good on the central question: what if there was an alien walking among us?

I suppose BvS does a bit of a better job with that as it explores how Superman's existence impacts Lex, Bruce Wayne and society more generally.

EGM1966

The funny thing is that the GOTG characters barely knew each other either, and people were fine with them deciding they were a family.

Like I get GOTG's popularity and it's a film I enjoy a lot, but it's full of just as many "go with it" moments. The entire superhero film genre is comprised of characters suddenly being in love or being best friends with minimal set up, or in Civil War's case we're told Cap and Tony are friends turned adversaries after two Avengers films where they barely got on at all.
Films are generally 2 hours to 2 hours 10 which means only a few scenes can and should move characters to new relationships quickly.

It's all down to execution though. GotG executes such scenes well, the actors deliver performances that convince you and boom it's on to next development with audience on board for how their relationships have changed.

SS simply doesn't execute well. It doesn't mesh script, performances and pacing nearly as well hence such scenes don't work for many and thus fail to convince.

Go to it then. Stuff reviews.

You've just given three reasons to see it, so see it for those reasons at least and make your mind up rather than choosing to possibly parrot a review for something you haven't even seen.

I avoided reviews before I even saw this as I wanted to go in unspoiled, so they had no effect on me. I only wanted to see it as I had been following the making of it, so had only seen bits of that and the official hype and trailers.

The fact you talk of Australia and Tuesday for cheaper tickets has me assuming you live in Australia. You're not with Telstra or Optus? They offer cheaper movie tickets for various cinemas, and I know Optus ones (who I'm with) at least seem to come out even cheaper than waiting for Tuesdays, so I saw it on opening day (before it even opened in the US).

im with spintel, they are smaller, but i like to give the lil guys a try (i was with vaya before this. dont recommend it. they are terrible).

and yesh, im in melb, au \o/

you don't know whether you'll like it until you've seen it.

i'll wait until tuesday, it's the discount day

but yeah, hype is dyiiiiingggggggg

tbh, i avoided all the spoilers for BvS and i regretted going to the cinemas for it so im trying to learn a lesson here

it's kinda expensive to go to the cinemas here idk why

$22 full price ticket plus popcorn and drinks ($15 ish), that's like almost $40 for a movie and if it's bad............ i get really blue about it :<

i still enjoy parts of BvS but boy, i should have waited for rental and / or UC tbh :x

Flavius

Caught it last night, and like others, I found it absolutely mindless and mediocre.

The GOTG comparisons are spot on. The film feels as though someone watched that film, then haphazardly recut this one to achieve a similar vibe...at the cost of consistency, pacing, basically all the things that make for quality films. First third dragged far too long with the character intros. Last third was nonsensical, generic as fuck, sci-fi action film. Somewhere in the middle, there were some alright bits and pieces.

I thought all of the actors did very well with what they were given. They weren't the problem.

EDIT:

I fully admit that I absolutely adore GOTG and very likely give it more credit than it's due, but to your point -- they do work to establish how lonely or otherwise off-putting those characters are, so there is some logic explaining why they bond so quickly. Here? Uh-uh.

Just came home from seeing the movie. Wow its bad. Not even sure where to start..... With the amount of songs they stuff into the movie i can't remember an single track. Joker is barely relevant to the plot line. They have no real bonding session , i don't understand why they become a real team or
Family
in the end. they introduce some elements that have no payoff
The trapping of souls sword , the dick guard that Deadshot hates , Joker, Feeding on people by the brother , etc.

Just a total mess . I am not sure which DC movie this year is worst :|

shingi70

Banned
Just came home from seeing the movie. Wow its bad. Not even sure where to start..... With the amount of songs they stuff into the movie i can't remember an single track. Joker is barely relevant to the plot line. They have no real bonding session , i don't understand why they become a real team or
Family
in the end. they introduce some elements that have no payoff
The trapping of souls sword , the dick guard that Deadshot hates , Joker, Feeding on people by the brother , etc.

Just a total mess . I am not sure which DC movie this year is worst :|

All those things did have pay off.

-
The sword is just a sword it's her weapon and more of a eater egg.

-the guard that deadshot hates is the same guard that gives the location of where Harley is in the first place.

- Joker in all honestly should have probably just been in the Flashbacks.

-the brother was feeding to go into that huge CG form he has.

Nipo

This thread has been really interesting. I had no idea so many people didn't know how rotten tomatoes works or how to interpret the scores.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
All those things did have pay off.

-
The sword is just a sword it's her weapon and more of a eater egg.

-the guard that deadshot hates is the same guard that gives the location of where Harley is in the first place.

- Joker in all honestly should have probably just been in the Flashbacks.

-the brother was feeding to go into that huge CG form he has.

That isn't payoff. When you mention stuff like that, it has to go somewhere. Chekhov's gun.

Elandyll

Banned
First half was really solid. Second half especially the final act, was pretty bad. Lots of potential and nots as bad as the 29% on rotten tomatoes suggests.

Still a relatively mediocre movies though.
RT is not a score that indicates how good the movie is. The RT critic score average is about 4.7, rounded up to 5/10 it indicates a slightly lower than average, aka mediocre movie.

26% is the amount of critics who would rate it 6/10 and above.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I enjoyed it. I actually liked the second half more than the first. Thought the pacing is a bit all over in the first half.

Things I liked..
Cast
Plot (let'a ace it, we're not getting a traditional SS plot these days in a movie)
most of the script
special call out to harley who she nailed

Things I was meh on
Joker.. they tried too hard. Sort of like "how can we deconstruct the joker even more after TDK?" He wasn't even bad.. it just was clear they were ADAMANT on making their own joker for this movie.
Brother. ok, this was just bad. Unnecessary. The entire plot line was basically "we have no idea how to do this.. so... let's try this?"
CG was pretty bad in spots.. Funny that Enchantress for the first half was 100% acceptable.. but Super Sayian Enchantress was awful.

Overall more good than bad, and I really did enjoy it. Hoping we get a sequel with the intros out of the way and time to narrow in on a better idea on how to do the villains.

I'd say 6/10.

Saying katana sword didn't have a payoff is like saying Batman's grappling hook didn't have one. It's her weapon.

Also everything I mentioned did go somewhere.
Um no there's a difference between Batman's grappling hook and Katana's sword
They mentioned the sword and its ability twice implying that it would be important later. Nobody points out Batman's grappling hook or gives it a backstory like the soul of her husband is inside of it like the sword. There isn't a "that grappling hook belonged to Batman's father" line in Batman making it important.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Saying katana sword didn't have a payoff is like saying Batman's grappling hook didn't have one. It's her weapon.

Listen, if you're fighting
an ancient sorceress that is a soul possessing someone's body
and you have a sword that
you go out of the way to say captures souls in its blade
, and the two have absolutely nothing to do with each other and you don't even bring it up, that feels like there's no payoff.

Also there is literally no reason for Katana to be in this movie.

Zemm

Most impressions seem to be 'it's not as bad as batman vs superman'. That's a quote for the blu ray box if ever I've seen one.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

When you specifically take time out of your movie to explain what something is, it should be used in a meaningful way later on. So no, it isn't the same as Batman's grappling hook. It's the equivalent of Batman mentioning that he designed a new grappling hook that can carry yadda yadda yadda extra weight and then it not being used to carry extra weight.

And again the guard isn't payoff either because Deadshot should be involved in his death or humiliation in some major way.

shingi70

Banned
Listen, if you're fighting
an ancient sorceress that is a soul possessing someone's body
and you have a sword that
you go out of the way to say captures souls in its blade
, and the two have absolutely nothing to do with each other and you don't even bring it up, that feels like there's no payoff.

Also there is literally no reason for Katana to be in this movie.

She's cool looking, and does cool shit. Enough reasons for me.

Honestly I did expect
Enchantress to be asrbobed into the sword, but in the end I'm glad they didn't do it. I like the how the movie didn't make a big deal about her sword being able to hurt Incubus. Its just a given that magic can hurt something else that's magic.

Anton Ego
In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations. The new needs friends. Last night, I experienced something new, an extra-ordinary meal from a singularly unexpected source. To say that both the meal and its maker have challenged my preconceptions about fine cooking is a gross understatement. They have rocked me to my core. In the past, I have made no secret of my disdain for Chef Gusteau's famous motto: 'Anyone can cook.' But I realize, only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere. It is difficult to imagine more humble origins than those of the genius now cooking at Gusteau's, who is, in this critic's opinion, nothing less than the finest chef in France. I will be returning to Gusteau's soon, hungry for more.

Pretty apt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom