• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suicide Squad is the best dccu film

LoweredExpectations.jpg

The first 45 minutes are boring, poorly edited, poorly written, and somehow forgot to introduce one of the key members of the team

The last 30 minutes only happen because everyone collectively stops thinking

But that middle 45 was solid if sloppy, it was the most competent and enjoyable stretch in this universe so far.

TalonJH

Just got home. That movie was fun if anything. Sure, it's not great but I enjoyed it and will buy it on Bluray. I was surprised by how much the crowd loved it. They laughed every time Will Smith or Margot said a damn line. I had very low expectations and left satisfied. It could have been better with some more editing(I didn't like all the flashbacks personally but my wife says they helped her understand). I absolutely hate Batman Vs Superman and this redeemed my confidence in where DC films are going.

Bad villain choice though.

Boem

heard what

Indy 5 is coming in 2019, with Harrison Ford playing the title role. Spielberg, Lucas and Williams are all on board.

Spielberg said he never wants to recast Ford, although recently Lucasfilm has been talking about giving Indiana Jones the Star Wars expanded universe treatment (probably meaning more comics, books, maybe a cartoon or something. Presumably sequels, but I can't see Ford doing another one after 2019 at his age, and Spielberg's 'never recasting' comments throw doubt on that as well.

Indy 5 is coming in 2019, with Harrison Ford playing the title role. Spielberg, Lucas and Williams are all on board.

Spielberg said he never wants to recast Ford, although recently Lucasfilm has been talking about giving Indiana Jones the Star Wars expanded universe treatment (probably meaning more comics, books, maybe a cartoon or something. Presumably sequels, but I can't see Ford doing another one after 2019 at his age, and Spielberg's 'never recasting' comments throw doubt on that as well.
Is Shia boofy back?

Nudull

Banned
I had more fun with it than BvS, I can give it that. It's still not particularly great, however. Some try-hard dialogue, misogynistic in parts, and it never really does anything fresh or new outside of being a ensemble of supervillain protagonists.

Boem

Is Shia boofy back?

Given that he shittalked Spielberg and Lucas after Crystal Skull (ignoring whether he was right or not), and that both Spielberg and Ford have commented in public that they were pissed on Shia for that, and given that Shia has had his...curious... public moments over the last couple of years, I doubt it.

But who knows. Right now only Ford, Spielberg, Lucas and Williams are confirmed.

I had more fun with it than BvS, I can give it that. It's still not particularly great, however. Some try-hard dialogue, misogynistic in parts, and it never really does anything fresh or new outside of being a ensemble of supervillain protagonists.
That's what I expected after Fury.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

One of the reasons I stopped listening to his podcast is cus he thinks talking about sucking is the funniest shit possible, he ALWAYS went to that when he wanted to be funny and seconds into that video he starts talking about sucking dicks.

One day he will be smoking weed, crying and talking about sucking dicks and it'll be the most Kevin Smith thing ever.

Boem

One of the reasons I stopped listening to his podcast is cus he thinks talking about sucking is the funniest shit possible, he ALWAYS went to that when he wanted to be funny and seconds into that video he starts talking about sucking dicks.

One day he will be smoking weed, crying and talking about sucking dicks and it'll be the most Kevin Smith thing ever.

I'm fairly certain that has already happened fairly frequently.

Just watched. I felt entertained, but it was a mess at the same time haha.

Thank God for Margot robbie and will Smith though. I liked both of them.

Jared Leto... Just... No...

cr0w

Old Member
I liked it quite a bit. The villain was forgettable, but aside from Loki, which one hasn't been?

The cast and performances elevated the material, much like they did with Guardians. I didn't have a problem with any of them, but I absolutely loved Boomerang. I thought he was great. Leto I'll have to see more of to form an opinion, but I felt he was in the movie just enough.

Overall, I'm mystified, again, by critical response to this one. I just don't see any reason it should be getting the reactions it is.

c4PHKKv.png

I know the dude is a die-hard comics guy, but he goes off the deep end a lot. This review was his typical "LOVE IT" reaction..he doesn't like to hurt feelings, it seems. But yeah..the review was wild.

Craziest part was him saying his daughter was nutting out of her imaginary cock..😐

You've incomprehensibly skipped two of the few blockbusters released in recent times worth a shit.

I only moved out to the suburbs a couple years ago, before then it was extremely difficult for me to get to a theater if it wasn't an advance screening

by 'extremely difficult' I mean 'a 15 minute walk to the ghetto theater where tickets on Tuesday are 5 bucks, and people bring buckets of fried chicken into showings of Oblivion'

duckroll

How often does this dumb shit happen in the movie?

It's one of the most obvious examples I've seen(without watching the movie itself) that nearly confirms the report of a marketing company editing the movie.

A lot in the beginning. Basically all introductions and establishing shots are done like that. But they have run out of people to introduce or places to establish, it just becomes a completely boring and mundane trek through a generic ruined city in the middle of the night with no sense of visual excitement or even chronological tension.

Also, I gave up on Kevin Smith when he wouldn't shut the hell up about eating his wife's asshole on Twitter

I don't care about people's kinks, but keep that shit to yourself b

3N16MA

Banned
Estimates are placing Saturday BO in the mid 30s. That is a massive tank job if it holds and i has the potential to have worse legs than BvS.

A lot in the beginning. Basically all introductions and establishing shots are done like that. But they have run out of people to introduce or places to establish, it just becomes a completely boring and mundane trek through a generic ruined city in the middle of the night with no sense of visual excitement or even chronological tension.
You mean the 16 shots of the literal cgi trash storm wasn't enough for you?

While I found the movie to be a bit of a mess, often incoherent and inconsistent, it's still as far from bad as it is from great. There are some great scenes that make up for a cramped film with too many characters and not enough plot or development, but there was a better film to be made here. Unless you already have a deep love for the characters, I can't recommend the film wholeheartedly.

5/10

duckroll

Ayer's next film is with Netflix. He's going to love that process after this.

The sweet process of taking the agreed upon sum of money with no questions asked, and then delivering the final product in whatever form you want? It's a pretty good deal! But if it sucks, then -everyone- knows who is to blame after that!

While I found the movie to be a bit of a mess, often incoherent and inconsistent, it's still as far from bad as it is from great. There are some great scenes that make up for a cramped film with too many characters and not enough plot or development, but there was a better film to be made here. Unless you already have a deep love for the characters, I can't recommend the film wholeheartedly.

5/10

Was it better than Air Bud?

jett

D-Member
I only moved out to the suburbs a couple years ago, before then it was extremely difficult for me to get to a theater if it wasn't an advance screening

by 'extremely difficult' I mean 'a 15 minute walk to the ghetto theater where tickets on Tuesday are 5 bucks, and people bring buckets of fried chicken into showings of Oblivion'

lol sounds like a good time.

That sure sounds awful.

I remember when this clip got posted and people said it was edited down. That's exactly how it is in the movie.

That sure looks awful. Honestly, even the fanboys know when they're looking at crap, just like this clip from Civil War. "It was edited down for the clip!"

I've made a huge mistake.

lol sounds like a good time.

I saw Gravity there once and when Clooney showed up again it caused like 10 people to burst out in laughter uncontrollably, to the point that they all had to leave

The pre-show ads were all this one local comedian shilling his hot new one time only live event coming 3 months ago

The theater only shows Marvel movies twice a day so that it can show Tyler Perry movies eight times instead

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I've made a huge mistake.

I saw Gravity there once and when Clooney showed up again it caused like 10 people to burst out in laughter uncontrollably, to the point that they all had to leave

The pre-show ads were all this one local comedian shilling his hot new one time only live event coming 3 months ago

The theater only shows Marvel movies twice a day so that it can show Tyler Perry movies eight times instead

Sounds like the theater I worked at, but that was because they served food and drinks during. Most of the Tyler Perry films outlasted the majority of other movies.

I know it was brought up earlier in the thread but I'm not sure if you're being serious.

I mean it is kind of amazing it's aggregating lower but for a serious answer, no I don't think so. Two different film, attempting to do two different things.

It's like watching that funny moment when people don't like a score a reviewer gives to a film/book/game/tv show and look through their previous reviews to try and make an argument "They reviewed X better than Y? They don't know what they're doing!" Every piece of art can only be judged on how successful it is at accomplishing its own goals within its respective form.

The sweet process of taking the agreed upon sum of money with no questions asked, and then delivering the final product in whatever form you want? It's a pretty good deal! But if it sucks, then -everyone- knows who is to blame after that!

Will they? It'll be a who dun it between Ayer, Will Smith, and Max Landis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom