• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does that even mean

flawlessly executed amalgamation of good things old and new in a very safe package, but its blandness makes it ultimately forgettable for most, and its disingenousness makes it disagreeable for some.

There's nothing wrong with the movie or any of the decisions it made, but it's never going to be truly great or generation-defining.

Blader

Btw, claiming that anyone has taken on the Spielberg mantle is a joke. The man stands firmly alone, and that's a really sad thing when you watch Bridge of Spies and realize that style of making actual good movies is somehow dying.

Bridge of Spies is mediocre.

Munich is Spielberg's last example of a master craftsman at work. Everything since, good or bad, has had the same going through the motions feel.

This thread in a nutshell:
ba1cb9904053c9678a556f0fc52cb96e835e8b778f564283092456d392d9b606_1.jpg

You know what else is too rough? Sand.
And you know who doesn't like sand? Anakin Skywalker.
I don't remember why though.

Bridge of Spies is mediocre.

Munich is Spielberg's last example of a master craftsman at work. Everything since, good or bad, has had the same going through the motions feel.

We're talking about directing specifically though. Bridge of Spies has somewhat limited material to go on from the writing, but the directing and editing skills are all there.
Also, you guys did not watch TinTin, I can tell. That ship battle sequence is literally batshit insane. Even more than Spiderman 2's subway segment? Yes. Tony Zhou was not kidding on that one.

fake edit due to slow typing: oooooow, having to choose between prime Spielberg and Cameron though. Can I choose multiverse answer where we can have our cake and eat it too? I am far more nostalgic towards Cameron, but Spielberg has greater skill in the language of movies, which goes to selling them. Why Cameron then has the better track record of breaking the BoxOffice I honestly don't have an answer to.

real edit: maybe Cameron's are more atmospheric? He did say (in that little interview before people flipped on it and it went private) that his cuts are about two seconds longer than the industry average, so there is obviously more time to take them in. Also, he made a point to have shots in movies just because they're beautiful, not for plot or any other purpose. In that context, the shot in Avatar of the plushy things landing on main guy's body (which lasts like ten seconds or so, an eternity in modern film) comes to my mind, and it's best one in it, aside from the Colonel charging out: "masks on!" and holds his breath until someone brings him a mask. I was cheering for that guy.

So let me get this straight
Air Bud > Suicide Squad > Pulp Fiction > Thor 2 The Dark World > The BFG > BVS

I think I got all that right
dont kill me

Cetra

Just got back from my watching this. It was pretty good, not great, but pretty good. Certainly not a 27% (or whatever it is now) movie. I feel WB fucked it up by reshooting. I'd love to see the original cut. That being said, Leto's Joker was just fucking bad. I will never understand why they chose to go that direction with the character.

Just got back from my watching this. It was pretty good, not great, but pretty good. Certainly not a 27% (or whatever it is now) movie. I feel WB fucked it up by reshooting. I'd love to see the original cut. That being said, Leto's Joker was just fucking bad. I will never understand why they chose to go that direction with the character.

Because tats and Hot Topic clothes is phat with da kidz, yo...

Just got back from my watching this. It was pretty good, not great, but pretty good. Certainly not a 27% (or whatever it is now) movie. I feel WB fucked it up by reshooting.

That is how I feel about this movie too. I would like to see what this movie looked like before reshoots.

Just got back from my watching this. It was pretty good, not great, but pretty good. Certainly not a 27% (or whatever it is now) movie. I feel WB fucked it up by reshooting. I'd love to see the original cut. That being said, Leto's Joker was fucking rad. I will never understand why they chose to go that direction with the character but it was awesome!!!

Great review!!

Unfortunately, this was the original cut.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
flawlessly executed amalgamation of good things old and new in a very safe package, but its blandness makes it ultimately forgettable for most, and its disingenousness makes it disagreeable for some.

There's nothing wrong with the movie or any of the decisions it made, but it's never going to be truly great or generation-defining.

There's nothing forgettable about TFA and it's definitely not forgotten by most. There's tons of movies I don't like that I at least know are believed by a lot of people, TFA is one of those movies that even if you don't like, you know for a fact you're in the vast minority.

Whose output you enjoyed the most in that timeframe.

To be clear though, I'm counting ESB and RotJ for Lucas, since he had such a heavy role in their productions.

I don't love Aliens like most people do so I'm gunna go with Lucas but my real favorite is mille-checks beyond thunderdome release date- never mind.

I can't say I've ever sat through an entire Indiana Jones movie that wasn't the Crystal Skull. Which isn't a measure of its quality or my interest compared to the others, I've just never seen any of them in their entirety.

studyguy

Went to watch this.
It wasn't bad.
It wasn't great.

My biggest take away is that someone at WB needs to lay off whatever filter they use to make scenes dark. Was literally too dark to see shit sometimes

Went to watch this.
It wasn't bad.
It wasn't great.

My biggest take away is that someone at WB needs to lay off whatever filter they use to make scenes dark. Was literally too dark to see shit sometimes
Maybe it was the theatre? I felt this a lot in BvS but I feel like it was a lot better here aside from maybe the under water scene.

Alebrije

Went today , theater was less than half filled.

Movie is basic , think the main problem is try to explain a cohesive main story at the same time you need to explain others , it felt like a collage of ideas that end in something bland.

But for a Saturday time killing is a nice movie , just bring your pillow to theater for the first hour of the movie

The_Kid

I think the first thing that pulled me out of the movie was the enchantress trying to be mysterious in dancing or whatever it was. Looking like a cartoon.

I just came back from the movies.

I absolutely LOVED this. Screw those reviews... lol

The only negative imo was Jared Leto as the Joker. I think he is a really talented guy, but this role just didn't do it for me.

Bluth54

He tried to find the good in Fantastic Four. He's entertaining, but too optimistic to trust as a reviewer imo.

Fun to watch, though.

Yeah I like Kevin Smith but I would never, ever trust his reviews. He loves every thing.

And part of that may just be because he makes movies he doesn't want to piss off anyone in the industry and potentially hurt his chances to work with them in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom