• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yager

Banned
I have no fucking idea if this is a good or bad movie, I haven't seen it, but some of those negative reviews read like they're holding a competition on which of them can make the most damaging statement.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Doctor-Strange-Benedict-Cumberbatch-e1451316908237.jpg

??

I know almost nothing about Doctor Strange, but am hyped for this movie.

pestul

Thinking about the drops it might see, BvS also had really nothing in it's way for quite some time and still had terrible drops. It's difficult to predict for this one. It may be just seen as more fun by the general audience and get some repeat business. I still think $300M DOM is likely if the tremendous opening predicted happens.

Shaanyboi

Banned
herewegoagain.gif

GB2016 was a *good* movie by all objective viewpoints. It is certified fresh and rated higher than Jurassic World, which while I despised JW, most thought it was ok>good at minimum.

Suicide Squad is not looking to be up to par with GB2016.

If this upsets you, I'm not sorry.
By "objective viewpoints" Star Trek Into Darkness is supposedly better than Beyond, when really it's a burning trash fire.

This isn't true in the slightest - Marvel villains have personal connections to the Heroes, being their brother, their mentor, their best friend, etc, they have goals and motivations of their own, they have actual personality and character.

DC so far has had two villains that are lumps of hitpoints with no motivation, in fact they're so mindless they're barely sentient - Doomsday and the Adversary, and are about to get another in Steppenwolf.

If the next Spiderman film had Carnage as a villain, who is a similar pile of uninteresting, impersonal, mindless hitpoints as DC's villains, then maybe they'd be equal comparisons.
Luthor was the real villain of BvS and you forgot Zod. Outside of Loki and Zemo Marvel villains have all been one off borefests, they don't have any real charisma and just exist as another stepping stone for the heroes. I don't see the likes of Ronan, Whiplash, Dark Elf Guy, Stane, Hammer, Red Skull, etc as any better than Luthor or Zod. At least Zod gave me a live action DBZ fight.

- J - D -

Oh no dude I'm on the level. Shit would've been interesting, certainly would've had more depth than the shit Snyder is serving us. Plus I'm really curious as to how Cage would play the role. His geeky Clark Kent would be fabulous at the very least.

Ah ok. Yeah after watching Jon Schnepp's documentary about Superman Lives and seeing what current DC is giving us, I'm really sad over what's been lost. Cage and Burton had some really interesting ideas, but people get hung up over that damn suit.

This is sad. I had some expectations and I'm still going to watch it, but if this is another terrible movie like MoS and BvS I don't know what to think about WB/DC.

As A DC fan, all these movies getting bad reviews have been incredibly frustrating and disappointing. While I enjoyed BvS and MoS (for the most part), they could have been MUCH better.

I'll still see this since the trailers were good but man..

meanspartan

I know he's a meme around here, but I really liked Hardy's Bane. Dude was imposing as fuck. Zod was pretty good too.

Zod was so charismatic IMO that he was too good for that mediocre movie. I was practically rooting for him by the end haha. And ya, Hardy Bane was fantastic, he just had the misfortune of following the greatest comic book villain portrayal of all time.

Ah ok. Yeah after watching Jon Schnepp's documentary about Superman Lives and seeing what current DC is giving us, I'm really sad over what's been lost. Cage and Burton had some really interesting ideas, but people get hung up over that damn suit.

Well, that and Jon Peters wanting a giant spider, Brainiac fighting polar bears and having "a gay R2-D2" for a sidekick.

Gorillaz

these people put their dignity on the line for this movie

getting struggle tats from Margo
Jared Leto sending dead animals to people's home for the holidays
Jai Courtney burning himself

Like some human sacrifices were made for this to be good.

meanspartan

If you're going to talk about the Netflix shows, Purple Man.

Haven't seen all of Jessica Jones yet....getting there.

Oh and Punisher, though he is more frenemy than villain. I am SO stoked for his standalone, Punisher doesn't get enough love (seriously, read Punisher MAX).

Gleethor

I have no fucking idea if this is a good or bad movie, I haven't seen it, but some of those negative reviews read like they're holding a competition on which of them can make the most damaging statement.

It's almost as if the big takeaway from the BvS reviews was "look how many clicks we can get by trying to out-hyperbole one another"

It just seems like WB were reluctant on having a comic book universe in the first place, but just rolled with it when Snyder pitched the idea. They would have been much better off building a trilogy out of Man of Steel with better directors. All of this seems rushed and directionless.

BokehKing

Banned
Can someone please explain the Chris Evans tilting his head back screaming gif to me? I first seen the twister one around BvS, I want to enjoy it but I just don't get it?

Liamario

Banned
I'll never understand the people being happy because a movie is bad :s, I guess comic book wars are weird.

I wanted this movie to be good, and I liked most of the trailers, but the "we're bad guys, it's what we do" was always a bad sign...
I don't want it to be bad, no one who has any level of maturity does. But damn if it's enjoyable to see the reactions.

37% WTF is going on?? ...I thought they got it this time

Why did you think that?

Toxi

Banned

The problem here is that Jai Courtney was such a shitty sacrifice it had the inverse effect.

Kickz

Lmao, even Will's scientology fuckery couldn't save it

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
What was the last REALLY good comic book movie villain. Ledger's Joker?

I liked Zemo in Civil War. He felt pretty subdued near the end.
I expected him to release those other soldiers. my eyes were already rolling in anticipation and it swerved from that. And his conversation with Black Panther was the highlight of the film, for me. He's a little one note and conventional for most of the movie but was actually good in the third act.

But Ledger as Joker is the last time I remember being captivated by a comic book villain on screen. Tom Hardy's Bane was killing it throughout most of Dark Knight Rises...but then...well, you know what happened with him.

I've all but resigned myself to the fact that these comic book movies are just going to keep tossing garbage villains at us until something sticks. Oh! I'm not a big fan of Man of Steel, but Michael Shannon's Zod was very well acted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom