• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadotsu

Banned
The best moment the DCU has produced is the Flash scene in the JL trailer. If all movies had that tone I would probably like the DCU.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
All this talk of "edge" makes it sound like it has always looked in the trailers: Hot Topic, the Movie.

10643174_hi

You better watch mouth unless you're ready to square up outside the movie theater. All that chit chats gonna get you hurt.

Yeah, the allusions in reviews to Guardians make a lot of sense but you'd think the comparison wouldn't be this easy to make given the obvious differences. Disappointing by the reviews but maybe I'll like it when I see it? Who knows. The whole 'edgy' think was obvious from the start and it's been turning me off, especially as Robbie's performances in the clips has been less than stellar.

some of the hints i was hearing on the Twittersphere over the past few days. i expected MUCH MUCH worse, lol. Seems more mixed, which is fine I GUESS, lot more critics actually enjoying this compared to BvS. Doesn't sound like a boring slog like that, so i'm expecting to have fun and enjoy this, sounds messy but lots fun, like for example just earlier this year, i really enjoyed Apocalypse this year so i figure ill like this. goddamn do i wish DC would get a true home run already lol. Wonder Woman NEEDS to be a slam dunk. i can actually take this and even Justice League getting not so amazing reception, but i feel on a culturally important level that one truly needs to be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkddduq1WsA
also dont follow alot of Youtuber movie reviwers but i do follow Mr Sunday and he liked it.

also in a stunning twist, ya boi Devin Faraci, kinda liked it? He said its kinda messy but still loved some of the characters and gave it a fresh review.

On Tuesdays the local theater does a discount for tickets and popcorn combos but I wonder if WB nixes this for the first two weeks like they did for BvS

some of the hints i was hearing on the Twittersphere over the past few days. i expected MUCH MUCH worse, lol. Seems more mixed, which is fine I GUESS, lot more critics actually enjoying this compared to BvS. Doesn't sound like a boring slog like that, so i'm expecting to have fun and enjoy this, sounds messy but lots fun, like for example just earlier this year, i really enjoyed Apocalypse this year so i figure ill like this. goddamn do i wish DC would get a true home run already lol. Wonder Woman NEEDS to be a slam dunk. i can actually take this and even Justice League getting not so amazing reception, but i feel on a culturally important level that one truly needs to be great.

also dont follow alot of Youtuber movie reviwers but i do follow Mr Sunday and he liked it.

also in a stunning twist, ya boi Devin Faraci, kinda liked it? He said its kinda messy but still loved some of the characters and gave it a fresh review.

Vanity Fair said it was worse than Fantastic Four. Not sure how you can get worse than that.

Phediuk

lol what are you talking about? Reviews are calling it a disaster, some even worse than F4ntastic.

Toxi

Banned
After Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, and now Suicide Squad, it really sounds like the DC film department needs better editors

Beefy

Now question is do I still go to watch this or skip it? I was really looking forward to this movie because Snyder hadn't touched it. :(

Who can we blame this on? Snyder wasn't involved and Ayer seems like a competent director. Was it studio execs?

Seems like an unclear vision and some studio interference maybe mixed with struggling to make a movie about bad people but not able to make them really bad without going R or alienating audiences

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Who can we blame this on? Snyder wasn't involved and Ayer seems like a competent director. Was it studio execs?

Can't blame it on the studio with this one. This is Ayer's cut of the movie and WB gave him more money to improve the film. They tried. Ayer is probably going to shoulder a lot of the criticism though. Didn't he write this as well? The buck kinda stops there...

Snyder and Geoff Johns were executive producers..

Still going to see this, but my expectations are low especially after the shithole that was BvS.

Ah, so it is his fault afterall.

Seems like an unclear vision and some studio interference maybe mixed with struggling to make a movie about bad people but not able to make them really bad without going R or alienating audiences

That's the same thing I'm thinking.

spookyfish

what idiot? Zemo?

c'mon, DKR sells you the idea that Bane is all knowing and always a step ahead of batman when in reality he's just a puppet,

at least Zemo was the one pulling the strings of everyone on Civil War

And, as a villain, Zemo was at least successful. How often does that happen?

pestul

A lot of RT certified press are seeing the film tonight. I suspect the RT score will go down. As much as reviewers like to enjoy a film from a fresh perspective, they will definitely be somewhat influenced by what their colleagues have already written. And to be fair, who wouldn't?

Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised going into this with low expectations.

mcrommert

Banned

In the grief process this is called Bargaining

tomtom94

A lot of RT certified press are seeing the film tonight. I suspect the RT score will go down. As much as reviewers like to enjoy a film from a fresh perspective, they will definitely be somewhat influenced by what their colleagues have already written. And to be fair, who wouldn't?

Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised going into this with low expectations.

It could go up, to be fair. There are some positive reviews in there and it's not pulling anywhere near as bad as BvS. But the divisiveness is in and of itself a problem for Warner and DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom