• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone please explain the Chris Evans tilting his head back screaming gif to me? I first seen the twister one around BvS, I want to enjoy it but I just don't get it?

It's during an interview with Jeremy Renner as they were promoting Civil War. The interviewer posed a question about Black Widow's romantic ties to both characters and Jeremy Renner deadpanned, "she's a slut" which caused that outburst from Evans. Another gaffer linked the video in an earlier post.

LewieP

There's no way that a future Batman movie would fail at the box office. Same goes for a Justice League or a Superman. Regardless of how bad they or any other DC movies are.

The problem DC will have is that they probably won't be able to do a Guardians of the Galaxy. I guess perhaps Suicide Squad is there attempt at that, but it speaks volumes that they had to put Batman and The Joker in there.

DC would not be able to take a set of characters or a series that mainstream audiences don't really know and get people into the cinema primarily on the basis that it's a new DC thing, without any prior grounding in the characters or story. Marvel won people's trust so they took a shot on an unknown quantity, because there was positive word of mouth, and Marvel's track record in the run up to GOTG was solid.

DC will probably just see diminishing returns on their big name characters, and not much else. Unless people really fall in love with The Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg as depicted in the Justice League movies, their standalone movies will crash and burn.

The Rock might be able to carry Shazam, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is hoping to distance it from the other DC movies.

One more from the archives.

nkPVmGm.gif

originally had captain america hail hydra there
might as well post these unused evans gifs. I didn't get use em the first time around.

8gFRKSd.gif

nfw2fi0.gif
Holy crap I love this Chris Pine laughing meme.

The Hollywood Reporter

A puzzlingly confused undertaking that never becomes as cool as it thinks it is, Suicide Squad assembles an all-star team of supervillains and then doesn’t know what to do with them.

Why anyone thought this creaky narrative line was a good idea for a wannabe-edgy superhero action piece is unfathomable. Indeed, it brings any and all investment in what’s going on to a quite complete end.

All this talk of "edge" makes it sound like it has always looked in the trailers: Hot Topic, the Movie.

Sou Da

There's no way that a future Batman movie would fail at the box office. Same goes for a Justice League or a Superman. Regardless of how bad they or any other DC movies are.

The problem DC will have is that they probably won't be able to do a Guardians of the Galaxy. I guess perhaps Suicide Squad is there attempt at that, but it speaks volumes that they had to put Batman and The Joker in there.

DC would not be able to take a set of characters or a series that mainstream audiences don't really know and get people into the cinema primarily on the basis that it's a new DC thing, without any prior grounding in the characters or story. Marvel won people's trust so they took a shot on an unknown quantity, because there was positive word of mouth, and Marvel's track record in the run up to GOTG was solid.

DC will probably just see diminishing returns on their big name characters, and not much else. Unless people really fall in love with The Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg as depicted in the Justice League movies, their standalone movies will crash and burn.

The Rock might be able to carry Shazam, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is hoping to distance it from the other DC movies.
RIP Cyborg.

I guarantee I'll enjoy this WAY more than Ghostbusters. Thought GB was a 6/10 and totally forgettable. Are the DC movies being held to some subconscious standard of superhero movie making? Just because they're not as light hearted as the Marvel movies they get reviewed harsher? I'll find out in 3 days.

EDIT - It was a rhetorical question! I know there's no bias, haha.

Whether it was rhetorical or not, this movie seems to be like a 12 year olds idea of what "dark" should be. Civil War deals with some dark themes and ideas, but it does so without having to go OTT.

I wouldn't be so sure about Justice League. It might pay for the sins of BvS regardless of how good or bad it actually is. That happened with several sequels this summer. Its the follow-up to a very divisive movie in a very divisive franchise. It's not goint to bomb because of the curiosity factor but I wouldn't be surprised if it grossed less than BvS. The 3 characters that will sell tickets in Justice League were already in BvS anyway, the rest of the League isn't going to expand the audience much.

aBarreras

And that idiot in Civil War

what idiot? Zemo?

c'mon, DKR sells you the idea that Bane is all knowing and always a step ahead of batman when in reality he's just a puppet,

at least Zemo was the one pulling the strings of everyone on Civil War

Saw io9, indiewire, and moviebob criticizing Leto's Joker. Ledger still the GOAT.

BTW there's still room on my Godzilla-Kong bandwagon. Get hype and hop on folks!

I never really had great expectations about BvS, especially considering how much I disliked MoS, but I really had high hopes for this one. It really seemed like artistically they made great choices and the trailers/previews all looked like a lot of fun. I'll still go see it but I don't understand why WB/DC is having such a hard time putting these characters into good movies :x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom