• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinc

As it regards TDKR quality, GAF and almost everywhere else you mean.

Critics Consensus: The Dark Knight Rises is an ambitious, thoughtful, and potent action film that concludes Christopher Nolan's franchise in spectacular fashion.

RT Score: 87.

Average rating: 8/10

334 reviews.

TDKR is a really great movie. It has problems and it's not as good as TDK, but it's a great movie.

I'm not looking forward to this film at all but I'm still going to see it before forming a definitive opinion. The tone really doesn't seem for me, way too edgy, I get Shadow The Hedgehog vibes from all the trailers I've seen. I didn't mind Batman v Superman but it was very forgettable. I hate the character designs but I have hope that the story will at least be good.

Sephzilla

Dark Knight hinges on Ledger's performance and he's what elevates the movie to another level and makes you ignore how absolutely weak Dark Knight's plot becomes from the car chase on. For what it's worth I think Begins is the better Batman movie.

Bad Trip

Banned
Dude you are crazy. Like objectively all three were good. Subjectively we can speak about how good.

Nah they were mediocre and somewhat unintentionally funny given how serious the premise of a man dressing up as a bat was applied to a world supposedly "grounded" in reality . Ledger gave a great performance , but for the most part these films had great art direction and style but the stories themselves were straight trash , much like Nolans other films , Momento aside .

Timu

Critics Consensus: The Dark Knight Rises is an ambitious, thoughtful, and potent action film that concludes Christopher Nolan's franchise in spectacular fashion.

334 reviews.

TDKR is a really great movie. It has problems and it's not as good as TDK, but it's a great movie.
Yes, I'm with rottentomatoes on this. Some people are making it sound like Spider Man 3 or X-Men 3 which are the real letdowns for superhero trilogies.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

334 reviews.

Yes, that is exactly my point. He implies only GAF thinks TDKR is a good movie, calling it okay at best.

Eidan

Batman Begins is absolutely the better Batman movie.

The Dark Knight is absolutely the better movie.

The Dark Knight probably would have been a better Batman movie if it had actually thought to bring back Gotham City, for one thing.

gotham_narrows_001.jpg

I mean, what happened to it?

That was one neighborhood in Gotham.

Papacheeks

Banned
This is all true. But then again, I don't believe any film that's come out of Marvel Studios has yet to top Spiderman 2 either, which was a film that unashamedly embraced it's comic book roots heart and soul. Again, that felt like a film that, although a superhero film, had a voice and a soul that these Marvel tentpole franchises otherwise completely lack as individual films.

Again, this comes from someone who's going to be first in line to see Doctor Strange this November.

So Iron Man, thor, Captain america:First avenger, lack character?

Each one has character. Thor is like a Shakespeare play with family issues among brothers and their father for battle of the throne.

Iron man is a narcissistic spoiled guy who finally takes responsibility for his actions after seeing people die, and have their villages destroyed by the very weapons he created.

And captain america is the closes thing to a superman morally. He just wants to so the right thing and stick up for those who can't protect themselves from bullies.

I mean we must have watched different movies.

Most of Gotham in Batman Begins was depicted that way though.

I'm with you on this, and I'll answer other posters as well, gotham in Batman Begins is actual sets to depict the underbelly of gotham. Dark knight used shots of chicago among other big cities, and no sets that helped paint the dark gritty streets Batman Begins and Tim buttons batman films.

JABEE

Dude you are crazy. Like objectively all three were good. Subjectively we can speak about how good.

All three of those films were miles better than what Zack Snyder put out in MoS and BvS.

The big mistake was letting Zack Snyder style and shape the cinematic direction of the entire DC universe. It was all downhill from the bad Man of Steel. I have no judgement on Suicide Squad which I thought may redeem the DC Universe due to the Zack Snyder not being the Director of the film.

Fury451

Banned
Dark Knight hinges on Ledger's performance and he's what elevates the movie to another level and makes you ignore how absolutely weak Dark Knight's plot becomes from the car chase on. For what it's worth I think Begins is the better Batman movie.

Agreed on all counts. The plot in TDK is actually kind of a mess, though it's still one of the best comic films imo; but I've always preferred Begins as the best Batman movie.

Litan

This is why I dislike movie discussions on GAF.
Something is either great or 'thrash, garbage fire.'

There's nothing in between for some people and a lot of posters seem incapable of realizing that just because you don't enjoy a movie that is considered goodgreat by the majority, doesn't mean it's bad or overrated.

SpaceWolf

Banned
the only reason I put Avengers at the level of Begins and TDK is just how well it executed on the bolded. It's the perfect fan service movie. The perfect summer blockbuster. The stars of the film are oozing with charisma, and they all come together perfectly. No one is overshadowed, no one has their thunder stolen from them. It has some of the best light hearted banter I've seen in a film. It is one of the most satisfying films I've ever seen. A dream idea come true (The Avengers, on the big screen, AND IT WORKS) and exceeding all expectations.

I absolutely love The Avengers (to my mind, it's probably Marvel's best film to date, perhaps excluding the first Iron Man and Winter Solider). But to me, The Avengers is a cheeseburger. A brilliantly made, extremely tasty cheeseburger, but a cheeseburger nonetheless. Well-crafted blockbuster entertainment, which never strives to be anything more.

Whereas, Nolan's Batman films (perhaps excluding The Dark Knight Returns) felt like more substantial films to me, films that had a lot more substance and artistry behind them. They were films with thematical underpinnings, films that had something to say.

I mean, what were the main themes of Guardians of the Galaxy, for example? Family is good? No, there weren't really any themes. Because it was a deliriously cheerful, thrill-seeking blockbuster. But it wasn't hugely substantial as an actual film which explores its characters in depth or engages us as an audience in any kind of creative way.

I love Marvel's films, but they've still got a long way to go before they hit the highs of the Nolan films and Spiderman 2, at least in my opinion. But at the very least, Marvel Studios has an extremely strong understanding of the source material they're continuing to adapt...unlike say, Snyder and friends as they continue to mishandle comic book property after comic book property.

kevin1025

Banned
This year feels like there's a curse. A lot of the big movies haven't been so hot, more than previous years (at least it feels that way). There are still some gems out there, and there's five months to go, but something feels off about a lot of 2016 movies.

Papacheeks

Banned
Agreed on all counts. The plot in TDK is actually kind of a mess, though it's still one of the best comic films imo; but I've always preferred Begins as the best Batman movie.

Yup.

I agree with the first part but as a CBM film, no Batman begins was better as a cbm.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Soren Anderson
Seattle Times August 2, 2016
In a year overloaded with comic-book movies, "Suicide Squad" just seems like more of the same.
Full Review | Original Score: 2.5/4

---

Oh shit, 5-6 comic book/superhero movies in a year full of other movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom