• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I would trade BvS, Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman and Justice League for Extended Editions/Director's Cut of Nolan's trilogy.

G-Fex

Well

there's always........................................................................................

DC comic movies are doomed.

jelly

Problem with Affleck's Batman film is the baggage of the DC Universe they've created. Does he try to shoehorn it into what he wants, ignore it, change it, be as standalone as possible?

At this point I would be okay with Affleck doing what he wants, even changing characters completely if it means a great film but will the DC Universe plan allow that?

I'll echo Gadot as Wonder Women, interesting era but she doesn't have anything but looks to go on unfortunately from the footage shown so far.

WB have tough decisions ahead. Do you bet on tighter focus with Affleck resetting things a little for a few good Batman films or continue down the current mess with Justice League/DC Universe. Wonder Women and Justive League aren't going anywhere but after their reception, it will surely be decided.

How does yours look?

This shitting on Gadot is laughable. We have countless no-talent male 'actors' in these big movies for years now and no one cares and actually likes them. Now Gadot (who from what we have seen does just fine) is suddenly so awful the movie shouldn't even be made.
I hear that everyone gave Liam and Usher a pass and didn't pine for Will Smith at all in Independence Day 2.

How does yours look?

This shitting on Gadot is laughable. We have countless no-talent male 'actors' in these big movies for years now and no one cares and actually likes them. Now Gadot (who from what we have seen does just fine) is suddenly so awful the movie shouldn't even be made.

You're not wrong. Direction of the thread got mean spirited these past couple pages.

Can we please return to poking fun at Suicide Squad?

Timu

Why would you have faith in a director that

a) Hasn't worked on a movie in 13 years.

b) Has never worked on a movie of this sort.

c) Has only worked on one movie.
Yeah, this alone makes me worried about how it's gonna do, it could go either way though.

SpaceWolf

Banned
and you know, as much as I love dining at a fine Italian restaurant, most of the time I think I'd rather just have my favorite cheeseburger!

My god tier of comic book films consists of Dark Knight, Spider-Man 2 and Avengers. Three different studios, three pretty different films tonally, but each excels so damn well at what they set out to do.

I know what you're saying, though. Nolan's films obviously strive to be something more than a light hearted, popcorn-flick, Summer blockbuster. And I love it. But I love Avengers for what it is, too :)

I couldn't agree more :) Most of the time, I'd much rather have a well-made cheeseburger than anything else in the world. Which is why I'm so excited to check out Doctor Strange and why I'm religiously following every scrap of production news revolving around Spiderman: Homecoming.

And for the record, our top three favorite superhero films are exactly the same. You have good taste, my friend!

RedStep

We have countless no-talent male 'actors' in these big movies for years now and no one cares and actually likes them. Now Gadot (who from what we have seen does just fine) is suddenly so awful the movie shouldn't even be made.

Look up the reaction to Sam Thirstington in Avatar and then rethink your position. Or Sam Worstington in the Titans movies. Or Sham Worthington in Terminator: Salvation.

Beefy

How does yours look?

I don't get paid a few million to look worried.

Gadot was awful in FF. So I will judge her by that as I haven't seen WW yet. I don't like Cavill (and others) either for what is worth, the guy is wooden as fuck. Just because you like what you see doesn't mean everyone thinks the same.

Fury451

Banned
The overall impression I seem to be getting so far is, "it's fine". Which is about what I was expecting.

I don't know how; critically at least. Even the "fresh" reviews are like....backhanded compliments when you actually read the text.

Erik Davis said:
Its structure is messy & its storytelling is incoherent at times, but it looks good, sounds great and pushes the genre forward in some neat ways.

Katie Walsh said:
The characters are the ultimate in "squad goals," but they're far more fun than the actual story itself.

Chris Nashawty said:
For DC, which blew it with Batman v Superman last spring, Suicide Squad is a small step forward. But it could have been a giant leap.

Isaac Feldberg said:
Haphazardly paced and generically plotted, Suicide Squad benefits immensely from the winning presence of Will Smith's Deadshot and Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn.

Peter Bradshaw said:
It's a clotted and delirious film, with flashes of preposterous, operatic silliness.

Froli

Rolling Stone

Vanity Fair

NgK8RKC.gif

No fucking way lol

As much as I loved Nolan and his take on Batman(even though TDKR, was a letdown), I would not want him to come back and direct for DC(I highly doubt he ever would).

He was ready to get out of comic book movies and work on other projects and it shows by how much of a mess Rises was.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously name one no talent male actor that anyone has said is good

Chris Hemsworth. Dude sucks, but he is fine as Thor. Or Cavill as Superman. Same story. You don't need great actors for these superhero roles. Just someone who is serviceable enough, Gadot seems to do the same from what we have seen so far.

a916

Rogue One looked promising at first but I don't know if the rumors of them changing the movie are true or false or even if that should matter. Dr Strange looked amazing though, I trust in Cumberbatch.

I really doubt they would greenlight an Aquaman movie if WW bombs.

WB will because:

A: James Wan

B: They aren't giving up on the DC thing, they'll drive it into the ground until it stops making money. They'll change course but they'll keep at it because they are desperate for a long term franchise.

SpaceWolf

Banned
The director did shakespeare which is what he pulled from when creating the dynamic between 2 brothers and their father.

I know he did. I was following production of that film very closely. Fun Fact: Kenneth Brangh's Hamlet is one of my top five favourite films of all time. Love that movie.

Needless to say, Thor is not very Shakespearian in its ambitions or in terms of its writing, and the flimsy connection does nothing to give such a remarkably flat and soul-less film any semblance of depth. Thor isn't a particularly good movie, and Thor: Dark World as a film is infinitely worse.

More than the director, I'm more worried about the writing/script. Which is where more of the problems from both Superman movies and BvS comes from.

I hate to be that guy, but Monster was held together by Charlize performence. It's mediocre movie at best in my opinion.

To be fair tho I've only seen it twice and it's been a while so maybe I'm being unfair to it. I just remember the movie felt like Serpico

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
how are you getting that overall impression??
I just clicked on the thread and read Drew McWeeny and Angie Han's reviews. Coupled with the impressions in the OP. Like I said, this is what I have gathered in the last few minutes. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Rottentomatoes meter doesn't make it to 'Fresh'.

WB will because:

B: They aren't giving up on the DC thing, they'll drive it into the ground until it stops making money. They'll change course but they'll keep at it because they are desperate for a long term franchise.

I hope so because Aquaman looks like the second best thing in this universe besides Batman.

Aquaman.

Jake2by4

WB will because:

You forgot

C. Make the second JL movie Flashpoint and reboot the universe.

Eidan

Remember the flashback scene where Bruce and Rachel were driving back from the courtroom and Rachel turns off of a random city street on the way back from city hall and suddenly the city looks like shit? That was just a random right turn in Gotham

They drove to an area with a lot of homeless and a Falcone bar. Stylistically it looks no different than areas we see during the truck chase in The Dark Knight. I can just as easily see those areas existing in the Gotham of TDK and TDKR, we just spent less time in impoverished areas of Gotham in those movies.

Vire

I'm sure this has been posted, but lol fucking DC.

...a noisy, murky dud where only the lesser known stars make any kind of an impact. "Suicide Squad" makes one almost nostalgic for "Batman v Superman."

Hey now, she's directed six (six!) TV episodes as well.

To be completely fair, though, a few episodes of Community was the Russos big claim to fame before TWS.

Arkeband

Banned
How does yours look?

Listen man, we're all waiting for Gadot
to put more nails in the DC universe coffin.

Sorcerer

Problem with Affleck's Batman film is the baggage of the DC Universe they've created. Does he try to shoehorn it into what he wants, ignore it, change it, be as standalone as possible?

At this point I would be okay with Affleck doing what he wants, even changing characters completely if it means a great film but will the DC Universe plan allow that?

I'll echo Gadot as Wonder Women, interesting era but she doesn't have anything but looks to go on unfortunately from the footage shown so far.

WB have tough decisions ahead. Do you bet on tighter focus with Affleck resetting things a little for a few good Batman films or continue down the current mess with Justice League/DC Universe. Wonder Women and Justive League aren't going anywhere but after their reception, it will surely be decided.

Why bother to continue with this mess? DC movie universe is a sinking ship. Affleck getting things right for his solo turn is probably the last hope. The rest needs to be jettisoned and reconstructed for a later time, if at all.
I don't understand WB's willingness to give bad directors like Snyder continual carte blanche.

mcrommert

Banned
Chris Hemsworth. Dude sucks, but he is fine as Thor. Or Cavill as Superman. Same story. You don't need great actors for these superhero roles. Just someone who is serviceable enough, Gadot seems to do the same from what we have seen so far.

Chris Hemsworth is an excellent actor
...cavill is absolute garbage

gimmmick

God damnit DC :(

You knows it's bad when South Park is making fun of your movie line up in its video game. As a marvel fanboy, I'm feeling sorry for my my friends swear by DC that were hoping for suicide squad to be good.

Hemsworth apparently has great comedic timing, he could end up as the replacement for Gosling on those romantic comedies.

Normal movies though? Eh.

I'd like to say that the next movie I'll watch in this universe is the Batman movie, but, unfortunately, I'll probably see this, Wonder Woman and Justice League too. I feel like there are a lot of people like me.

I didn't like it at all. I got to see an early screening but didn't write a review. If I were to rate it out of 5 I would give it a 1.5.

haha. uh oh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom