• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that is exactly my point. He implies only GAF thinks TDKR is a good movie, calling it okay at best.

what? I didn't imply that. I was reacting to his TDKR better than 99% of marvels output comment which in my opinion is just absurd. Despite it's problems Rises is okay film which is I called it okay at best

Sephzilla

Agreed on all counts. The plot in TDK is actually kind of a mess, though it's still one of the best comic films imo; but I've always preferred Begins as the best Batman movie.

The car chase in TDK always pulls me out of the movie so hard because that entire sequence along with Joker's escape is pretty much 100% reliant on Joker knowing things he can't possibly know about or plan for and requires everything to go 100% perfectly right in order to work. It makes "prep time" Batman blush in comparison because it's so goddamn ridiculous. And then the whole sequence with the doctors/hostages switcheroo is just kind of dumb because why does Gordon suddenly stop listening to Batman?

Not really.

Remember the flashback scene where Bruce and Rachel were driving back from the courtroom and Rachel turns off of a random city street on the way back from city hall and suddenly the city looks like shit? That was just a random right turn in Gotham

Dynedom

Snyder gets the heat off of him for awhile. Ayer becomes the new punching bag.

Snyder managed to fuck up the first ever Batman and Superman movie. The stakes were higher going in. I don't think people will be as harsh on Ayer outside of the hardcore comic fandom.

Snyder's going to get another dose once JL drops and is eventually hot garbage anyway.

Aww this sucks i was hoping this would be great. Did the Batman vs Superman youtube guy announce that this movie is better then any Marvel movie yet?

Oddduck

Seattle Times - ★★½  

It’s all about personality, and Harley has that by the freight carload. Coy, comical and completely crazed, she outshines everyone in the DC universe, and Margot Robbie, who plays her in “Squad,” expertly occupies every naughty niche in her convoluted psyche.

Heath Ledger remains the gold standard of movie Jokers with his portrayal of a fiend whose shiver-inducing twistedness ran soul deep. Jared Leto’s Joker in “Suicide Squad” is all on the surface: green hair and a mouthful of steely teeth. He’s a gargoyle, almost ornamental, popping in and out of the story from time to time, contributing little more than maniacal laughter and a demented smile. In a movie full of villainous characters, he does not stand out.

Smith’s handling of Deadshot, full of quips and humanized by tender feelings for his young daughter, likely signals the resurrection of his lately stalled career. In the unaccustomed position as a member of an ensemble, he reclaims the engaging mojo that made him a superstar.

Associated Press / Beaumont Enterprise

The standout is Robbie's Harley Quinn, the most dynamic presence of the bunch: a clown cocktail of mental disorder and cheerleader pep. Robbie pulls it off, but Ayer spoils the movie's breakout character by continually reducing her to mere eye candy, ogling her as she bends over.

Quinn is the demented girlfriend of the on-the-loose Joker (Jared Leto), who turns out to be a curiously small part of the film. That, however, proves to be a relief.

Leto, working in the sizable wake of Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger, proves a massive disappointment in the role, lacking in both menace and wit despite the tall-tales of his Method extremes during shooting.

The film, as a whole, is missing the humor and spryness that was promised. Its best laughs are unintentional
(all I'll say is that there are souls trapped in swords)
and the charisma of Smith and Robbie are drowned out in Ayer's turgid tale.

Soren Anderson
Seattle Times August 2, 2016
In a year overloaded with comic-book movies, "Suicide Squad" just seems like more of the same.
Full Review | Original Score: 2.5/4

---

Oh shit, 5-6 comic book/superhero movies in a year full of other movies.

I don't get this criticism, there's hundreds of superhero comic books each year, if you don't like em it's not like there aren't hundreds of thousand of other books. Same with movies but it's somehow a problem here.

I know I don't post much in OT but I definitely lurk and keep an eye on these threads. I checked in earlier and everything seemed to be going normal. I come back now and... what happened here? There's no way this could be just as disappointing as BvS. It just can't be.

I wonder what she's thinking right now?
anigif_original-10416-1453300015-4.gif
Wait, I have to act? I can't just get away with being hot like in Fast & Furious?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
what? I didn't imply that. I was reacting to his TDKR better than 99% of marvels output comment which in my opinion is just absurd. Despite it's problems Rises is okay despite it's many problems which is why I called it okay at best

Ah, gotcha. For me, Cap 1 is okay at best, TDKR is much better than okay. But yes, the 99% comment is absurd.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Is that Gadot's worried face?

How does yours look?

This shitting on Gadot is laughable. We have countless no-talent male 'actors' in these big movies for years now and no one cares and actually likes them. Now Gadot (who from what we have seen does just fine) is suddenly so awful the movie shouldn't even be made.

Sephzilla

How does yours look?

This shitting on Gadot is laughable. We have countless no-talent male 'actors' in these big movies for years now and no one cares and actually likes them. Now Gadot (who from what we have seen does just fine) is suddenly so awful the movie shouldn't even be made.

image.php

SpaceWolf

Banned
So Iron Man, thor, Captain america:First avenger, lack character?.

You're not...quite getting my point, mate. My critique of Marvel Studio's movies have nothing to do with the personality quirks of its protagonists. I'm talking about the artistic integrity of the films themselves and how they differ as art-forms, whilst still managing to be enjoyable popcorn entertainment through their own (very different) approaches to cinema.

Each one has character. Thor is like a Shakespeare play with family issues among brothers and their father for battle of the throne.

You need to read more Shakespeare.

mcrommert

Banned
How does yours look?

Seriously name one no talent male actor that anyone has said is good

DirtyLarry

Might be a good thing the reviews are coming in and the consensus appears to be pretty much negative.
Means I will watch it this weekend and not expect much at all. So I will either be pleasantly surprised or indifferent.

SArcher

Banned
How does yours look?

Indeed, a pretty obvious double standard.

Anth0ny

I absolutely love The Avengers (to my mind, it's probably Marvel's best film to date, perhaps excluding the first Iron Man and Winter Solider). But to me, The Avengers is a cheeseburger. A brilliantly made, extremely tasty cheeseburger, but a cheeseburger nonetheless. Well-crafted blockbuster entertainment, which never strives to be anything more.

Whereas, Nolan's Batman films (perhaps excluding The Dark Knight Returns) felt like more substantial films to me, films that had a lot more substance and artistry behind them. They were films with thematical underpinnings, films that had something to say.

I mean, what were the main themes of Guardians of the Galaxy, for example? Family is good? No, there weren't really any themes. Because it was a deliriously cheerful, thrill-seeking blockbuster. But it wasn't hugely substantial as an actual film which explores its characters in depth or engages us as an audience in any kind of creative way.

I love Marvel's films, but they've still got a long way to go before they hit the highs of the Nolan films and Spiderman 2, at least in my opinion. But at the very least, Marvel Studios has an extremely strong understanding of the source material they're continuing to adapt...unlike say, Snyder and friends.

and you know, as much as I love dining at a fine Italian restaurant, most of the time I think I'd rather just have my favorite cheeseburger!

My god tier of comic book films consists of Dark Knight, Spider-Man 2 and Avengers. Three different studios, three pretty different films tonally, but each excels so damn well at what they set out to do.

I know what you're saying, though. Nolan's films obviously strive to be something more than a light hearted, popcorn-flick, Summer blockbuster. And I love it. But I love Avengers for what it is, too :)

jett

D-Member
It's going to take a (Wonder) woman to save the DCEU. I have faith in Patty Jenkins.

Why would you have faith in a director that

a) Hasn't worked on a movie in 13 years.

b) Has never worked on a movie of this sort.

c) Has only worked on one movie.

All we need is for Rouge one and Doc Strange to suck. Duds for everyone this year

Rogue One looked promising at first but I don't know if the rumors of them changing the movie are true or false or even if that should matter. Dr Strange looked amazing though, I trust in Cumberbatch.

Don't worry, guys. You still have an Aquaman movie to look forward to.

I really doubt they would greenlight an Aquaman movie if WW bombs.

Papacheeks

Banned
You're not...quite getting my point, mate. My critique of Marvel Studio's movies have nothing to do with the personality quirks of its protagonists. I'm talking about the artistic integrity of the films themselves and how they differ as art-forms, whilst still managing to be enjoyable popcorn entertainment through their own (very different) approaches to cinema.

You need to read more Shakespeare.

The director did shakespeare which is what he pulled from when creating the dynamic between 2 brothers and their father.

And you think marvel's films lack artistic integrity? I think you misunderstand the brand of marvel films. They are meant to be CBMS with their own themes, ideology's. But are not trying to be what people like christopher nolan make as they actually adhere closely to the source material. Which in it's own right are great works by themselves.
Marvel isn't trying to make Captain america into saving private ryan. They are not interested in making the Incredible hulk into a drama like ang lee tried too.

They are making movies that are about these characters that each have their own values, virtues, and to tell their stories as a lot of them derive from classic story telling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom