• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not even really that Warners can't make a good DC movie, it's very close to being that almost nobody can make a good superhero movie outside of Marvel, unfortunately.

Technically, Deadpool and the recent X-Men films (aside from Apocalypse oops) came from FOX and they were well-received.

Busty

Banned
It's not even really that Warners can't make a good DC movie, it's very close to being that almost nobody can make a good superhero movie outside of Marvel, unfortunately.

Perhaps. But Marvel themselves didn't knock it out of the park on their first try either. I'd argue that it wasn't until the first Avengers film that they really got into their stride.

LosDaddie

Banned
Gamers like comics, naughty words and anthropomorphic animals

news at 11

Not kids movies, but it's only on places like GAF on the internet that Civil War or The Avengers or whatever are routinely be exclaimed to be amazing movies, because of the make up of the forum.

Obviously I am posting on GAF (the irony), and I'm not speaking for everyone, but I will be very surprised if Civil War doesn't win GAF movie of the year.

What exactly is your point?

The difference being that not all regular people think those movies are masterpieces or amazing films, yet on GAF (and various other places on the internet) they are.

I know they got good critic responses, I don't mind all three myself. But I'm pretty sure I've seen shit the last two years admonishing the Oscars for not representing The Winter Soldier or some shit.

go out on the street and ask the first 50 people what their favorite movies of the year was. You'll probably gonna get a lot of Civil War, Zootopia, and Jungle Books.

who do you think these people on the internet even are??? PEOPLE IN REAL LIFE!

Raguel

Gamers like comics, naughty words and anthropomorphic animals

news at 11

Not kids movies, but it's only on places like GAF on the internet that Civil War or The Avengers or whatever are routinely be exclaimed to be amazing movies, because of the make up of the forum.

Obviously I am posting on GAF (the irony), and I'm not speaking for everyone, but I will be very surprised if Civil War doesn't win GAF movie of the year.
Thats very condescending of you.

Garlador

Technically, Deadpool and the recent X-Men films (aside from Apocalypse oops) came from FOX and they were well-received.

The Incredibles was... er, incredible too.

Really, it's arguably harder to screw it up than it is to make it succeed.

Batman versus Superman should have been a slam dunk a grade schooler could've made work.

Perhaps. But Marvel themselves didn't knock it out of the park on their first try either. I'd argue that it wasn't until the first Avengers film that they really got into their stride.
Iron Man was a homerun. Critical and commercial success.

Avengers was just a phenomenon though.

Ok, so what exactly are you implying with the demographic comment?

16-30 white males (of which I am one)

It wasn't necessarily a criticism to begin with... but sometimes when you're in insular communities like the Movie thread or a sports thread, there's more variety in opinions because there's less voices, if that makes sense?

You step into a comic book movie thread, guaranteed to attract the majority of the forum because that's what the majority of the forum are into, and you get reminded of such things.

Raxus

It just reminds me of people getting super excited for Superman despite the director's shitty output post 300. And then again for Batman vs Superman.

David Ayer is very hit or miss. DC licenses have been mishandled heavily. Also Will Smith in any super hero related movie is a bad omen.

I'll admit though, that was a shit post from me.

Hancock looked awful early on though. The rest holds true. I hope the movie is better than what critics say but I'll have to see it to believe it. DC needs to get their act together before their Cinematic Universe falls apart at the seams.

milanbaros

Member?
Yeah, after the absolute shit soaked mess that was BvS, people may hold off on viewing this until seeing the critical reception.

Is there a site that tracks viewer opinions through Friday. For example positive vs negative Facebook posts.

Cipherr

WHAT?

What the fuck is going on? Snyder didn't work on this in any large capacity? Are the people making this stuff just misfiring?

I don't believe it. Im gonna go see this anyway. I think maybe BvS was so bad that it pushed its shit into the future via cosmic waves or some shit and the reviewers had a chip on their shoulder from the last time. I have a hard time believing this is going to be this bad.

Wow, this is surprising and disappointing. The trailers made the movie look pretty fun. It's a shame that Marvel seems to be the only comic company putting out decently-reviewed films.

I almost wonder if The Dark Knight would have received lower scores if it were released today. The MCU seems to have totally changed people's perceptions and expectations of what a comic book movie "needs" to be.

go out on the street and ask the first 50 people what their favorite movies of the year was. You'll probably gonna get a lot of Civil War, Zootopia, and Jungle Books.

who do you think these people on the internet even are??? PEOPLE IN REAL LIFE!

Man, four people I know said X Men Apocalypse was great :lol. They were all around my age, males... that's what I'm getting into. It's only when I read threads like this and don't stick to community threads or more insular ones that I'm reminded most people do love comic book movies this much and are extremely vocal about it.

Why was it nothing?

Did she expect to get an Oscar nomination?

Didn't she get paid?

I don't know what you're trying to say.

She got paid, but she could've gotten paid and avoided all the Leto-in-character nonsense on another film. At least if it was a great film, you can justify it as in the service of something amazing.

Raxus

WHAT?

What the fuck is going on? Snyder didn't work on this in any large capacity? Are the people making this stuff just misfiring?

I don't believe it. Im gonna go see this anyway. I think maybe BvS was so bad that it pushed its shit into the future via cosmic waves or some shit and the reviewers had a chip on their shoulder from the last time. I have a hard time believing this is going to be this bad.

Believe it or not trailers can be very misleading in both directions on occasion. As many posted before the warning signs this might tank critically were there. Nobody called it out though.

Mahonay

Banned
WHAT?

So movie reviewers are conspiring to give this movie poor reviews across the board?

16-30 white males (of which I am one)

It wasn't necessarily a criticism to begin with... but sometimes when you're in insular communities like the Movie thread or a sports thread, there's more variety in opinions because there's less voices, if that makes sense?

You step into a comic book movie thread, guaranteed to attract the majority of the forum because that's what the majority of the forum are into, and you get reminded of such things.

so...one of this demographic's favorite movies of the year would be a thinly veiled allegory about racism, using cute bunnies and foxes?

Wow, this is surprising and disappointing. The trailers made the movie look pretty fun. It's a shame that Marvel seems to be the only comic company putting out decently-reviewed films.

I almost wonder if The Dark Knight would have received lower scores if it were released today. The MCU seems to have totally changed people's perceptions and expectations of what a comic book movie "needs" to be.
People keep trying to bring this up and the answer is no.

Raxus

She got paid, but she could've gotten paid and avoided all the Leto-in-character nonsense on another film. At least if it was a great film, you can justify it as in the service of something amazing.

At least she is going to get to play Harriet Tubman (who I feel, going off of interviews, is a personal heroine of hers).

giphy.gif

image.thumb.jpeg.0d3096c7e9c31364cc56a41480574382.jpeg

Absolute savagery at its finest, and I'm loving every minute of it. You two are unbelievable. XD

Bullshit. Their very first MCU movie (Iron Man) was fantastic. Can't say the same about Incredible Hulk but you forget Iron Man was universally praised.

Something

Banned
All of this makes Ayer's "fuck marvel" and Leto's weird condom mailing method acting antics hilarious in retrospect.

What a time to be alive.

Cipherr

Oh yeah.. there's no indication from the GENERAL public that CW nor Avengers were found to be enjoyable movies by any means at all.

None whatsoever.

Just those good ol' gamers.
photo.jpg

Mega

Banned

TDK is still highly watchable and enjoyable today. It and BvS are nothing alike.

Harmen

No, it just needs to be a good film. Something BvS definitely was not to many people. And this one seemingly isn't good either.

Furthermore, people seem to be really digging the tone of the Marvel Netflix series, which in many ways actually resembles that of the Nolan films, some goofy sidecharacters aside.

Busty

Banned

I have a feeling that Ms Davis has worked with more difficult characters than Leto during her career and not gotten paid as handsomely as she was on this.

I just think it's odd that this critical reception has lead to people almost suggesting that this film should be reverse engineered out of existence.

If it is terrible who cares?! I didn't pay for the fucking thing. My only expectation is paying to see it at the cinema. And given that it's a David Ayer film I would have done that anyway.

Oh yeah.. there's no indication from the GENERAL public that CW nor Avengers were found to be enjoyable movies by any means at all.

None whatsoever.

Just those good ol' gamers.
photo.jpg

Is enjoyable a synonym for amazing?

Like I said, I have seen these films. They were enjoyable. They were okay. I don't know anyone in real life apart from my brother who uses GAF and I don't know anyone who thinks the Avengers is one of the best movies around.

What makes you so confident this isn't the case? There's no proof one way or the other. I could definitely see reviewers complaining that The Dark Knight is too dark and serious for a comic book film, especially if it released in the midst of this MCU mania.

No, the burden of proof isn't on us to prove otherwise, it's on YOU for having made that claim.

All you're doing is posting conjecture.

milanbaros

Member?
What makes you so confident this isn't the case? There's no proof one way or the other. I could definitely see reviewers complaining that The Dark Knight is too dark and serious for a comic book film, especially if it released in the midst of this MCU mania.

Because the Dark Knight isn't a seriously flawed piece of film making. BvS reviewed poorly because it was utter shit. The Dark Knight was fun and engaging.

Rooster12

The Joker is about a lot of things, many of them contradictory, many of them disgusting, but the Joker is not merely about grossing people out with grotesquely. The best Joker stories have him doing repulsive things to prove some kind of point, not repulsiveness for it's own sake.

Yeah but I assume the Joker doesn't do any of those "repulsive" things in the movie right?

Those are all off-set antics.

...Marvel blaming is a thing now?

Cipherr

This is lunacy. TDK is an amazing film top to bottom. It was amazing when it released, and it would be amazing today. This is a reach, and a ridiculous one.

TDK is heads and shoulders above MoS and BvS, that's why those two didn't score similarly. They aren't even remotely as good as movies. Period.

No one demands a film be light in order to score well. The Thor movies all have Marvels signature 'humor' and they still score like ass because they are terrible films.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
DC fans are starting a petition to shut down Rotten Tomatoes.
https://www.change.org/p/rottentomatoes-com-shutdown-rotten-tomatoes

This is fucking embarrassing. I've never been a fan of the DC vs Marvel bullshit. With comics, I follow good writers more than characters and especially companies. But I got into comics through DC and...the hardcore fans need to let it go. There isn't a conspiracy. Demand more entertaining films from DC. They're stumbling with live action and animation these days after they released that embarrassing Killing Joke film.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
WHAT?

I've just about given up. At this point, I'd feel lucky just to get a Netflix Animated TV Universe that uses Young Justice as its foundation.

spookyfish

I don't get paid a few million to look worried.

Gadot was awful in FF. So I will judge her by that as I haven't seen WW yet. I don't like Cavill (and others) either for what is worth, the guy is wooden as fuck. Just because you like what you see doesn't mean everyone thinks the same.

Yeah, but with Cavill, seeing him in other movies, I think he *could* do Clark Kent justice if he had a director with a modicum of understanding about the character.

What I saw in BvS with Gadot -- yeah, how people said "She's the standout!" are just people blinded by finally getting a Wonder Woman movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom