• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jg7Q9qO.jpg
Will Smith should have done Independence Day instead.
XQh0iYZxSSWjGeXMmPjo_Confused%20Larry%20David.gif

Busty

Banned
Bullshit. Their very first MCU movie (Iron Man) was fantastic. Can't say the same about Incredible Hulk but you forget Iron Man was universally praised.

Iron Man is as 'meat and potatoes' as superhero films get. If that film came out today it would look practically archaic. RDJ does most of the heavy lifting in that film too. It never gets beyond solid for me.

But to each their own.

However First Avenger to Winter Solider is definitely the biggest jump in quality. The first Cap film is a good first act and then a series of montages before a weak ending.

When BvS came out, I was ready to love it despite the reviews. After seeing it, I said I wouldnt see another comicbook movie just because I liked the characters. I guess I'm waiting until this comes out on Redbox.

I wonder how much the score can swing now

I remember BvS was actually at 41% for quite a while, like up to 50-60 reviews and then started to rapidly go south

What makes you so confident this isn't the case? There's no proof one way or the other. I could definitely see reviewers complaining that The Dark Knight is too dark and serious for a comic book film, especially if it released in the midst of this MCU mania.

not really

you can count the jokes in this one on one hand. Nearly universal acclaim on it at 89% fresh or so.

ah of course. I forgot all about the time when GAF went wild for this movie

51W13EJ3R7L.jpg

I'm not saying Zootopia isn't a good movie. But it's certainly more likely to be a GAF member's favourite movie of the year than the film critic for the New York Times, or my dad, or my priest.

My little brother liked Minions more than Zootopia.

Demographics.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Unsurprising considering how lackluster most of the trailers have been. It's been trying so hard to look fun and contrast with BvS.

The way things are looking now, Wonder Woman might end up being the only good DC film in this new universe.

Papacheeks

Banned
GAF demographics become even more apparent when everyone's favourite film of the year is CW, Zootopia and Deadpool :lol

Sorry if were not talking about Captain Fantastic, Hail Caesar, 10 cloverfield lane for scifi creap junkies, plus other indie films that released this year.

We are on a message board about a comic book film? What else kind of movies do you want us to talk about that have nothing to do with the topic?

So someone says they liked jungle book which was a feet itself to revitalize a movie from 1967 with CGI and make it work.

Zootopia is a great animated film that handles different things seen in our society. But it's not a film like Captain fantastic so people must be super young and not understand the more dignified movie going experiences?

Am I getting warm?

sooo, how will this reflect in the BoxOffice...?

If at all.

Expecting a BvS situation in which the film has a respectable OW and then drops like a brick from the second week onwards.

Though thanks to the stain BvS has left on the DCCU and SS's focus on an ensemble group of smaller villains, I doubt SS will have an OW anywhere as good as BvS for that matter. Add to that the poor reviews and I wouldn't be surprised if SS actually underperformed in gross.

Busty

Banned
When BvS came out, I was ready to love it despite the reviews. After seeing it, I said I wouldnt see another comicbook movie just because I liked the characters. I guess I'm waiting until this airs on CBS and even then I'm going to sneak into my neighbours garden and watch it through his back window. .

Fixed. .

I just saw half of Jeremy Jahns review and he really liked the film. I trust his opinion so I'm going to see it. He liked BvS more than I did but he didn't like it overall. So that gives me some reprieve.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So what's next on Excuses for why DC Films Are Received like Trash?

It's only going to get worse after this movie. It's a persecution complex. Batman v Superman's critical response started this "Fuck the critics" mentality. Now there is a hardcore base of fans who feel like this getting critically savaged is another attack on their well-being. The entire thing fits this year's political climate quite well actually.

Sorry if were not talking about Captain Fantastic, Hail Caesar, 10 cloverfield lane for scifi creap junkies, plus other indie films that released this year.

We are on a message board about a comic book film? What else kind of movies do you want us to talk about that have nothing to do with the topic?

So someone says they liked jungle book which was a feet itself to revitalize a movie from 1967 with CGI and make it work.

Zootopia is a great animated film that handles different things seen in our society. But it's not a film like Captain fantastic so people must be super young and not understand the more dignified movie going experiences?

Am I getting warm?

I said that seeing that the majority of GAF would claim that Civil War is the best film of the year reminds me of the demographic of the forum.

I don't think I'm wrong.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's only going to get worse after this movie. It's a persecution complex. Batman v Superman's critical response started this "Fuck the critics" mentality. Now there is a hardcore base of fans who feel like this getting critically savaged is another attack on their well-being. The entire thing fits this year's political climate quite well actually.
This post is poignant.

Kickz

what idiot? Zemo?

c'mon, DKR sells you the idea that Bane is all knowing and always a step ahead of batman when in reality he's just a puppet,

at least Zemo was the one pulling the strings of everyone on Civil War

Still a punchless loser villain, better off not having him in it and going villain-less

Mega

Banned
What makes you so confident this isn't the case? There's no proof one way or the other. I could definitely see reviewers complaining that The Dark Knight is too dark and serious for a comic book film, especially if it released in the midst of this MCU mania.

TDK is not a boring slog, it's not confusing, it's not thematically all over the place, it isn't poorly edited and disjointed. It doesn't have an awful CG battle against a random monster gone amok. It doesn't shoehorn in a bunch of heroes for no reason. It doesn't overstay its welcome. It doesn't have unlikable heroes and unlikable villains. It's not brimming with people we absolutely don't give a damn about. It's not full of cringe worthy lines of dialogue.

TDK is serious as far as Batman goes, and isn't full of the Marvel one-liners but it doesn't venture into depressing No Full Allowed territory. It's still a really fun movie, especially with the Joker killing it in every scene he appears. Even Bale's Bruce and Batman seem to be having way more fun than his BvS counterpart, heck anyone in BvS... minus Eisenberg who misread his Luthor role into a goofball and ruined it.

I'm not saying Zootopia isn't a good movie. But it's certainly more likely to be a GAF member's favourite movie of the year than the film critic for the New York Times, or my dad, or my priest.

My little brother liked Minions more than Zootopia.

Demographics.

speaking as a dad, dads love zootopia. moms love zootopia. kids love zootopia. The NY Times film critic ALSO loved zootopia.

NY%20times_zpsslzkp5gk.png

Is it his favorite film of the year? probably not, but film critics watch substantially more films than the average person, and don't have to pay to do so.

Your average movie goer only sees 2 or 3 films a year if that. Less if they're older. Given that zootopia is one of those rare films that is not only excellent but appeals to just about all demographics including your priest, it has a very high probability of being the average person's favorite movie this year IF they went out to see it.

you're off base here.

Gleethor

More Trump comparisons, good lord.

Harmen

not really

you can count the jokes in this one on one hand. Nearly universal acclaim on it at 89% fresh or so.

I said it before, but why do people ignore the success of the Netflix series (both critically and by the public)? There are plenty of episodes that go really dark and heavily themed in both DD and JJ and people love it. I don't see why this wouldn't apply to film. I am not buying this "people only want happy superhero films now because of Disney". And as you mention, it is not like the Marvel films are all sunshine either, especially the Cap films.

Papacheeks

Banned
I said that seeing that the majority of GAF would claim that Civil War is the best film of the year reminds me of the demographic of the forum.

I don't think I'm wrong.

So me being 32 and someone who get's movies to watch like mojave, captain fantastic, demolition, last days in the desert with Ewan Mcgregor for his tv station to write reviews for and put up on their blog is just part of the demographic because I'm on a thread that's about a comic book film review?

There are other threads on gaf, and other forums that are specifically about the more artistic, cinema type dramas that wouldn't have the demographic talking about jungle book, civil war and Zootopia.

What you said came off as insulting, like because we are talking about movies we just enjoyed seeing in a theater that left a lasting impression, that we don't like more artful cinema, that has more meaning.

It's like because of what were saying so far for Summer Films which is what the majority of us are talking about, you think our tastes are childish? That's the way it came off to me anyway.

speaking as a dad, dads love zootopia. moms love zootopia. kids love zootopia. The NY Times film critic ALSO loved zootopia.

NY%20times_zpsslzkp5gk.png

Is it his favorite film of the year? probably not, but film critics watch substantially more films than the average person, and don't have to pay to do so.

Your average movie goer only sees 2 or 3 films a year if that. Less if they're older. Given that zootopia is one of those rare films that is not only excellent but appeals to just about all demographics including your priest, it has a very high probability of being the average person's favorite movie this year IF they went out to see it.

you're off base here.

But you're a dad on GAF who may well be a white male between 18-30. You may well fit the demographic.

Cuburt

Believe it or not trailers can be very misleading in both directions on occasion. As many posted before the warning signs this might tank critically were there. Nobody called it out though.
Well there was the one report about massive reshoots that were confirmed by insiders but shouted into the ground by fans that were angry that they were rumored to "add more humor" and the director said the studio only wanted to give him money to make a good movie even better with more actions scenes.

I took it as something not quite working the way they want but the scope of reshoots didn't say to me everything was perfect and they just wanted to make it better. Lots of people didn't want to hear it though.

I said it before, but why do people ignore the success of the Netflix series (both critically and by the public)? There are plenty of episodes that go really dark and heavily themed in both DD and JJ and people love it. I don't see why this wouldn't apply to film.

I agree re: the tone, but the tv series are generally considered to be different things than movies. Pacing, plot structure etc are all a lot different when you have 13 1 hour episodes to work with instead of 120 minutes.

But you're a dad on GAF who may well be a white male

wrong

between 18-30.

also wrong.

You may well fit the demographic.

Swing and a miss. would you also like to take a stab at the demographics my wife is in? she likes the movie more than I do.
And again- ignoring that it has "cute bunnies and foxes", Zootopia is a movie about racism, and is as subtle about it as a blow to the head. This is the exact OPPOSITE kind of film you would expect to be universally loved by 18-30 year old white males, bunnies or no.

aBarreras

So me being 32 and someone who get's movies to watch like mojave, captain fantastic, demolition, last days in the desert with Ewan Mcgregor for his tv station to write reviews for and put up on their blog is just part of the demographic because I'm on a thread that's about a comic book film review?

There are other threads on gaf, and other forums that are specifically about the more artistic, cinema type dramas that wouldn't have the demographic talking about jungle book, civil war and Zootopia.

What you said came off as insulting, like because we are talking about movies we just enjoyed seeing in a theater that left a lasting impression, that we don't like more artful cinema, that has more meaning.

It's like because of what were saying so far for Summer Films which is what the majority of us are talking about, you think our tastes are childish? That's the way it came off to me anyway.

well yeah there is every kind of movie goer on this forum but, those artful movies dont create a 50 page thread about its reviews,

at the end he is right more people on the forum are interested in those kind of movies.

cj_iwakura

Unsurprising considering how lackluster most of the trailers have been. It's been trying so hard to look fun and contrast with BvS.

The way things are looking now, Wonder Woman might end up being the only good DC film in this new universe.

Lackluster? The trailers have been fantastic. The hype in this very board was through the roof until now. I'm not letting my opinion be swayed, just like it wasn't with BvS.

But you're a dad on GAF who may well be a white male between 18-30. You may well fit the demographic.
I was with you when you mentioned that there are other better films than just the yearly blockbuster stuff, but you've gone down a path that's not making any sense and it's becoming downright insulting.

zsynqx

well yeah there is every kind of movie goer on this forum but, those artful movies dont create a 50 page thread about its reviews,

at the end he is right more people on the forum are interested in those kind of movies.

More people in general are interested in these movies; this isn't a Gaf exclusive thing. Like a poster above said, ask 50 random people on the street what their favourite movie released this year was and you'll likely get a bunch of Zootopia and Jungle Book answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom