• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So.

19 critics rated it fresh
35 didn't like it and it is only Tuesday.

Why are we all making these definitive statements about product based on other people's OPINIONS professionally paid critics or otherwise? How about you read a review and then get background on said reviewers to see if your tastes and preferences historically even align.

Watch a movie through to the end and get introspective for a moment and find your own thoughts on something.

This is why I think aggregates are a sticky wicket. Helpful for a quick glance on a Friday when you have nothing to do but if you go by aggregates you are not developing at all as a film viewer.

So me being 32 and someone who get's movies to watch like mojave, captain fantastic, demolition, last days in the desert with Ewan Mcgregor for his tv station to write reviews for and put up on their blog is just part of the demographic because I'm on a thread that's about a comic book film review?

There are other threads on gaf, and other forums that are specifically about the more artistic, cinema type dramas that wouldn't have the demographic talking about jungle book, civil war and Zootopia.

What you said came off as insulting, like because we are talking about movies we just enjoyed seeing in a theater that left a lasting impression, that we don't like more artful cinema, that has more meaning.

It's like because of what were saying so far for Summer Films which is what the majority of us are talking about, you think our tastes are childish? That's the way it came off to me anyway.

I didn't say you fit the demographic for being in this thread. I certainly think this thread being 50 pages long in 6 hours fits the demographic.

Nor did I say that people here don't like 'artistic' movies. But I mean... you were comparing Thor to Shakespeare earlier. Just because there's some lads with long hair and Branagh directed it doesn't mean it's Shakespeare. The last Jack Ryan film was by no means Shakespeare.

I am 97% certain that Civil War will be voted GAF movie of the year. Is part of that because it is enjoyable? Yes. Is part of that because it's widely seen? Yes. Is part of that because of the make up of the forum? Yes. Sometimes when you spend time in insular communities, people may show distaste for comic book movies more than you find in the majority of the forum.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Honestly, I enjoyed S.W.A.T. even though it wasn't critically acclaimed (another David Ayer produced and written film), so I'll most likely enjoy Suicide Squad.

Veelk

Banned
Yeah but I assume the Joker doesn't do any of those "repulsive" things in the movie right?

Those are all off-set antics.

it's not the repulsive part you should focus on, it's the 'pointless' part. They may be off screen antics, but if this is how he method acts the joker, then that's atleast suggestive of what he believes the joker to be: A being that does pointlessly disturbing things (whether it's just grossing people out or inflicting violence) for no reason.

Also, keep in mind that the past movies had their own shares of pointlessly indulgences of the grotesque, like Lex Luthor giving the senator a jar of piss. The pointless indulgence in the ugly, gross and disturbing would be a perfect fit for the cinematic universe that Snyder has set up. It's a feature, not a bug.

Civil War is not going to be voted movie of the year on GAF, fucking lol

You're now being intentionally obtuse

When was the last time a superhero movie won movie of the year on GAF?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, this looked really bad in any of the extended clips they've shown. The only time it looked sort of good is when they had a trailer where none of the cuts were longer than two seconds.

zsynqx

I am 97% certain that Civil War will be voted GAF movie of the year. Is part of that because it is enjoyable? Yes. Is part of that because it's widely seen? Yes. Is part of that because of the make up of the forum? Yes. Sometimes when you spend time in insular communities, people may show distaste for comic book movies more than you find in the majority of the forum.

Gaf 2014 movie of the year, the Grand Budapest Hotel.

Not Guardians of the Galaxy, The Winter Soldier or Days of Future Past

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=997001&highlight=

Edit: Avengers was 2015, my bad.

aBarreras

More people in general are interested in these movies; this isn't a Gaf exclusive thing. Like a poster above said, ask 50 random people on the street what their favourite movie released this year was and you'll likely get a bunch of Zootopia and Jungle Book answers.

well, thats the point, just like in real life, the majority of people will be ineterested on zootopia and jungle and civil war, and some people on movies like nice guys and green room and such.

i dont know what was your point, because you said the same thing i did or i intended.

What the flying fuck is going on here
ktMM8xy.gif

It's Mahvel baybee!

AxeMan

I thought it wouldn't be much chop from watching the trailers and it appears I was right.

Could be a complete fluke though as I thought BvS looked good and it appears it isn't. I haven't seen it yet but I still think I'll like it. SS....I'm not so sure

Harmen

I agree re: the tone, but the tv series are generally considered to be different things than movies. Pacing, plot structure etc are all a lot different when you have 13 1 hour episodes to work with instead of 120 minutes.

Oh, I do agree there are differences, but to me it serves as a pretty good indication that people do enjoy a darker tone and heavy themes in relation to superheroes. For me that is a better indicator than people not liking BvS and liking the latest Marvel films, for arguing the other way around.

Furthermore I think X-men is a bit inbetween and people loved First Class/DotFP. Apocalypse just wasn't there in terms of quality.

Gaf 2014 movie of the year, the Grand Budapest Hotel.

Not Guardians of the Galaxy, The Winter Soldier or Days of Future Past

Wes Anderson's a pretty big name director and it was his biggest film yet.

Spielberg's film wasn't that wonderfully received, most Oscar stuff this year won't be widely viewed as much as Civil War.

96.9%.

kswiston

Man was grand Budapest hotel excellent...his best movie by far.

Yup. I am sad that Wes Anderson is going back to animation for his next film. I liked The Fantastic Mr Fox, but I would greatly prefer a live action film given the time he takes to complete a project.

Papacheeks

Banned
I didn't say you fit the demographic for being in this thread. I certainly think this thread being 50 pages long in 6 hours fits the demographic.

Nor did I say that people here don't like 'artistic' movies. But I mean... you were comparing Thor to Shakespeare earlier. Just because there's some lads with long hair and Branagh directed it doesn't mean it's Shakespeare. The last Jack Ryan film was by no means Shakespeare.

Dude stop, now your stereotyping people on gaf. Gaf is a forum for nerdy shit, news, movies, comic book films, hell theres even big ass anime, and wrestling threads here.

But there are probably also threads about just films in general like captain fantastic, Hail Cesar etc.

I want to say Neogaf started about video games mostly, but now it's much more, people talk politics to a degree on here. But the base for neogaf is fans of games, who also are fans of comic books, which are interm fans of other films.

But your grouping people with no basis but someone who just told you what his/her favorite films were of 2016, and those movies are appropriate for what were talking. OUTSIDE of zootopia which was Feb-March, the rest were summer films like Jungle book kicked off the summer movies like Fast and the furious did last year in april.

So seriously check yourself, stop grouping stereotyping us, because some of use like those films, more than not people saw alot of these with their kids, family and thats what cinema is about out experience by ourselves or with the ones we love enjoying something together.

zsynqx

Wes Anderson's a pretty big name director and it was his biggest film yet.

Spielberg's film wasn't that wonderfully received, most Oscar stuff this year won't be widely viewed as much as Civil War.

96.9%.

Number 2 from 2014, Whiplash. Damien Chazelle was not a big name director. I'm not even sure what point you are trying to make anymore.

Papacheeks

Banned
Yup. I am sad that Wes Anderson is going back to animation for his next film. I liked The Fantastic Mr Fox, but I would greatly prefer a live action film given the time he takes to complete a project.

Did you get to see Moonrise Kingdom a while back? Both movies excellent!

So.

19 critics rated it fresh
35 didn't like it and it is only Tuesday.

Why are we all making these definitive statements about product based on other people's OPINIONS professionally paid critics or otherwise? How about you read a review and then get background on said reviewers to see if your tastes and preferences historically even align.

Watch a movie through to the end and get introspective for a moment and find your own thoughts on something.

This is why I think aggregates are a sticky wicket. Helpful for a quick glance on a Friday when you have nothing to do but if you go by aggregates you are not developing at all as a film viewer.

This is what I do with films I'm anticipating. I don't read any reviews until I have watched and processed them. I can then see who I align with in the critic world (usually but certainly not always it's Kermode) then when a film I'm not particularly interested in is said to be good by the critic I tend to seek them out. I have limited time these days and can't afford to waste it.

As I have never had any plans on watching this film I am here out of a sense of morbid curiosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom