• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTM

As if the cast got tattoos of the word SWKAD for this film. Forever will they remember being associated with this flop of a movie.

How is it a flop if it hasn't even been released yet? Who knows, maybe the general audiences will actually like it more than the critics have so far.

How is it a flop if it hasn't even been released yet? Who knows, maybe the general audiences will actually like it more than the critics have so far.

assuming the review consensus holds (which is likely, given we're about 50 reviews in) its a rare movie that scores THAT badly with critics but still does well at the box office.

When it does happen it tends to be a comedy- because comedy is so weirdly subjective.

Edit: oh, and those transformers films. no idea what's going on there.

Well...that's better than
him taking over the movie, I guess.

Batman is my favorite superhero, but it annoys the piss out of me that writers let him take over other heroes stories.

I'm sorry to say but get ready for a lot more of him in every DC film if this movie underperforms.

Veelk

Banned
Sent them used condoms, anal beads, a dead pig and some live rats.

thats-just-like-your-opinion-man_1_.gif

I had the suspicion that Leto didn't really 'get' the Joker the same way Snyder doesn't get Batman or Superman from the few headlines I did glance at, but this would have removed any doubt. The Joker is about a lot of things, many of them contradictory, many of them disgusting, but the Joker is not merely about grossing people out with grotesquely. The best Joker stories have him doing repulsive things to prove some kind of point, not repulsiveness for it's own sake.

Congratulations, DC, this is the first major superhero movie I will make sure I do not pay for. I don't know when I'll see it, but between this, the negative reviews, and particularly the Vanity Fair review mentioning elements of racism, sexism, and gun worship, you've killed any appeal the movie had for me. I've seen literally every superhero movie put out by Marvel and DC for the last 8 years, sans maybe one or two. But those were done out of disinterest, because the fuck am I going to see Jonah Hex for? But this, I am choosing to not see, not because it didn't grab my interest, but because it doesn't deserve it.

aBarreras

assuming the review consensus holds (which is likely, given we're about 50 reviews in) its a rare movie that scores THAT badly with critics but still does well at the box office.

When it does happen it tends to be a comedy- because comedy is so weirdly subjective.

Edit: oh, and those transformers films. no idea what's going on there.

what about BvS?

Watchmen is DC and it has a 65% on RT.

Anything 60% or higher is certified fresh.

no, "certified fresh" is 75% or higher.

Certified Fresh. Wide-release films with a score of 75% or higher that are reviewed by at least 80 critics, of which 5 are "Top Critics" are given this seal. The "Certified Fresh" seal remains until the score drops below 70%.[16] Films with limited releases only require 40 reviews (including 5 from "Top Critics") to qualify for this seal.[16]

60% is just fresh.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Still seeing it as harley quinn is one of my favourite characters and i want to see her first live action version

But i really hope the movie is better then the reviews. I enjoyed BvS so i presume i will enjoy this too

Salsa

im just really surprised (liking Ayer) that a lot of people describe it as a long put together trailer with just tons of licensed music shit and all that

there's few things in movies as cringe-inducing than overusing licensed music

apparently the film has all that was in the trailers and more. during actual scenes

gross

Sadist

Man, the Plainr_ gifs are truly amazing.

Still, disappointing to hear about Suicide Squad. Trailers made it look fun, but yeah, after getting burned with BvS, I'm not spending anymore money on DCU movies. Sorry WB. I know some people on GAF ridicule TDKR, but come on man, I wish the current and future DC movies would actually reach that level of quality. Save us Nolan-Man!

Anyway, at this point I just want Marvel to make a The Great Society movie just to see how a good DC-ish movie would look like these days.

It's crazy that Deadpool will likely end up with an RT score higher than both DC movies combined. It's pretty fitting considering how badly they botched his Green Lantern movie.

213372bu

Banned
thats-just-like-your-opinion-man_1_.gif

I had the suspicion that Leto didn't really 'get' the Joker the same way Snyder doesn't get Batman or Superman from the few headlines I did glance at, but this would have removed any doubt. The Joker is about a lot of things, many of them contradictory, many of them disgusting, but the Joker is not merely about grossing people out with grotesquely. The best Joker stories have him doing repulsive things to prove some kind of point, not repulsiveness for it's own sake.

Congratulations, DC, this is the first major superhero movie I will make sure I do not pay for. I don't know when I'll see it, but between this, the negative reviews, and particularly the Vanity Fair review mentioning elements of racism, sexism, and gun worship, you've killed any appeal the movie had for me. I've seen literally every superhero movie put out by Marvel and DC for the last 8 years, sans maybe one or two. But those were done out of disinterest, because the fuck am I going to see Jonah Hex for? But this, I am choosing to not see, not because it didn't grab my interest, but because it doesn't deserve it.
He wasn't even going for "understanding" Joker because he literally didn't read/watch any source material.

He just did some really corny/fucked up/questionable things and thought he was brilliant for it.

He was method acting for a character that doesn't exist or necessarily fits the script.

I know some of you are talking about blockbusters but I liked Midnight Special, Green Room, and Hunt for the Wilderpeople this year too.

I wonder what the chances are of this getting a higher tomatometer:

v1.bTsxMjA2MTc4MDtqOzE3MDU5OzEyMDA7OTAwOzEzMzM

Oh man I can't believe that comes out in 3 dyas. I will see that over Suicide Squad this weekend if it comes to my area. Looks like the best bad movie since The Beaver.

And if you think Jai's Boomerang is the best character in the movie, well, then... what do we have cooking here?

Jai being better than anyone is a sign that the film is going to be a special kind of evil. The minute I realized I was tolerating his performance more than Emilia Clarke's (and that they were both floundering compared to fuckin' Arnold Schwarzenegger) was the moment I realized that I had made an even bigger mistake than I initially thought the moment I decided to go see Terminator Genisys.

Veelk

Banned
He wasn't even going for "understanding" Joker because he literally didn't read/watch any source material.

He just did some really corny/fucked up/questionable things and thought he was brilliant for it.

He was method acting for a character that doesn't exist or necessarily fits the script.

Really? That's just....bizarre. You'd think that if he was so passionate about it, he'd look up some material to understand the character.

It sounds like he just used this role as an excuse to act like a stupid jackass.

Comic book
Animated animals
Comic book

I mean, all three are decent movies, sure. But there's shit like The Nice Guys, Green Room, Everybody Wants Some, Midnight Special...

the box office for all four of those movies combined wont even match up with any of those three movie's opening weekends, nobody saw that shit. There's not just a GAF demographic, that's a "regular people" demographic

and I'm saying that with "Sing Street" and "Everybody Want Some!!" as my two favorite movies, but they're niche as hell lets be real

Ah yes, the Zootopia-Deadpool demographic.

Gamers like comics, naughty words and anthropomorphic animals

news at 11

Apparently, they're all kids movies and liking them put you in a bad movie-goer demographic.
If you want to get into a better one you better start watching those indie flicks.

Not kids movies, but it's only on places like GAF on the internet that Civil War or The Avengers or whatever are routinely be exclaimed to be amazing movies, because of the make up of the forum.

Obviously I am posting on GAF (the irony), and I'm not speaking for everyone, but I will be very surprised if Civil War doesn't win GAF movie of the year.

It's not even really that Warners can't make a good DC movie, it's very close to being that almost nobody can make a good superhero movie outside of Marvel, unfortunately.

Mahonay

Banned
Great insight 10/10
It just reminds me of people getting super excited for Superman despite the director's shitty output post 300. And then again for Batman vs Superman.

David Ayer is very hit or miss. DC licenses have been mishandled heavily. Also Will Smith in any super hero related movie is a bad omen.

I'll admit though, that was a shit post from me.

Two stinkers in a row. DC isn't going to get the benefit of the doubt anymore. It's a shame, WW might end up unfairly taking hit regardless of its quality due to SS and BvS.

Will Smith should have done Independence Day instead.

the box office for all four of those movies combined wont even match up with any of those three movie's opening weekends, nobody saw that shit. There's not just a GAF demographic, that's a "regular people" demographic

and I'm saying that with "Sing Street" and "Everybody Want Some!!" as my two favorite movies, but they're niche as hell lets be real

The difference being that not all regular people think those movies are masterpieces or amazing films, yet on GAF (and various other places on the internet) they are.

I know they got good critic responses, I don't mind all three myself. But I'm pretty sure I've seen shit the last two years admonishing the Oscars for not representing The Winter Soldier or some shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom