• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought you guys were joking but holy shit, every site running a negative review is getting blasted in their comments and on Facebook about how the film is too smart or made for comic fans or the critics are biased/paid off

I had no idea there were this many delusional people
DCCU hardcore fanboys are the movie/comic equivalent of Trump supporters. WB could make another Batman and Robin and they would worship it.

I didn't like Ben at Batman. I thought it looked like Ben wearing a Batman costume, especially that adlib he did

He was fine as Bruce, but I think he looks silly in his Costume.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
DC fans are Trump supporters? The fuck.

I thought some of the persecution complex posts were hilarious but this post tops everything I've read in this thread.

Bravo.

Did I say all DC fans? No. I said the hardcore who are floating weird conspiracy theories like all these critics are somehow being influenced by Marvel. Two groups having persecution complexes at the same time doesnt mean they're the same, it's just interesting to see this at the same time. It probably says a lot about how people are consuming information today compared to a few years ago. There weren't people harassing critics over the reviews for shitty comic movies ten years ago.

But yeah, they're both being fucking crazy. If you think the media is in the midst of a massive conspiracy to shit on DC Comic films, you're being a whacko. My post was about 2016 basically being whacko season. But if the shoe fits, lace that bitch up.

- spider-man 2 is very much overrated
- spider-man 3 isn't as bad as most people say
- batman forever is pretty good
- the directors cut of daredevil is actually pretty decent
- the dark knight without Heath Ledger is just as bad as the dark knight rises
- the avengers is fondly remembered because of the novelty of all these characters finally coming together, it's mostly just OKAY
- the rhino parts and electro dub step of amazing spider-man 2 are actually awesome
- winter soldier is good but totally shits the bed and turns into same-y marvel crap in the 3rd act
- I can't be trusted to talk about civil war because spider-man is so awesome in it that it over shadows the rest of the movie for me

-Spider-Man 2 cannot be overrated, it is beyond critique
-Spider-Man 3 is more entertaining than most of Marvel's modern oeuvre despite being steaming shit
-Batman Forever is a zoo film, that is: entertainment to play in sitting areas of an animal exhibit
-Daredevil is a fetish film
-Heath Ledger is in The Dark Knight tho
-The Avengers is good for the combo meals the Odeon creates
-Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a poor youtube endeavour
-Winter Soldier's 3rd act is a trusted method of euthanasia in Latvia
-Tom Holland's Spider-Man is as dull as my post

Anyone else

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
A few years ago I'd find it laughably hyperbolic to call Dark Knight a masterpiece. But relative to the marvel movies and where DC has been heading overall post-Nolan it's looking more and more like that now in comparison

We need something like that again to kick the doors down soon.

I was hoping this would be some subversive punk rock comic movie but reviews making it sound fairly derivative. And with the joker to boot :(

Granted I am excited to see justice league, wonder woman and black panther but I'm not expecting anything beyond a decent romp in theaters any more. Shit is getting stale.

TDK holds up really well on rewatch, but yeah, I agree and that's what I'm getting at too. At the very least, despite the shlock, Nolan's trilogy addressed a set of distinct, core themes unique to each film and constructed villains with decently focused motivations and involvement in the arcs of other characters. It's still a "super hero movie", but the narrative beats that take you to the climax are engaging and generally unpredictable (outside of the "Batman will win" obviousness).

The existing run of Marvel / DC super hero films has absolutely none of this. That doesn't mean they can't be well directed, acted, and a fun popcorn ride. But they're just shlock that, at least for me, are completely forgettable once I'm out of the cinema because they've got nothing else going for them. They spend no time exploring themes or challenging the audience to engage, and instead run the numbers and provide big screen special effects. And that's fun but fuck it because I've now seen it several times back-to-back.

Age of Ultron had the scene on Hawkeye's farm so that alone doesn't make it shit.

This almost actually convinced me.

- the avengers is fondly remembered because of the novelty of all these characters finally coming together, it's mostly just OKAY
- the rhino parts and electro dub step of amazing spider-man 2 are actually awesome
- winter soldier is good but totally shits the bed and turns into same-y marvel crap in the 3rd act
- I can't be trusted to talk about civil war because spider-man is so awesome in it that it over shadows the rest of the movie for me

And I'm enjoying every minute of it. Except the Spider-man movies, I just can't stand the main actors.

Did anybody really dislike Batfleck? The Superman thing was a problem, yes, but the movie being long and incoherent was the real issue most reviews and fans talked about.

**raises hand slowly**

Maybe not completely disliked, I think Battfleck could probably make for a good solo movie, and I was hyped for BvS, but I think I'm just tired of Frank Miller Batman. We've been getting various interpretations and inspired by versions of movie Batman for the last 20 years and then Snyder went and goes "Full Miller" and I just don't think it works as well as it should/could.

Do you mean Heaths performence? Because without the Joker, it would've been a completely different Movie. The whole movie was about Chaos, White Knight vs Dark Knight. Which meant no Harvey Dent.

I thought this had the most chance out of all the DC films coming out in the near future to get the best reviews, but after this I really dont expect any of them to be critically praised. Still going to watch it and see for myself. As long as I enjoy it, it'll have to be good enough.

I thought this had the most chance out of all the DC films coming out in the near future to get the best reviews, but after this I really dont expect any of them to be critically praised. Still going to watch it and see for myself. As long as I enjoy it, it'll have to be good enough.
Wonder Women is a Origin Story, which are easier to make. It has that to its advantage. I guess.

I expect it to be mediocre, but it should be a easier film to make

ItIsOkBro

8gFRKSd.gif

Yoooooooooooo

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

Posts like these are the reason why I think there are right and wrong opinions.

You, sir, are right.

Fj0823

get a look at this jabroni

He kinda has a point, Batman is not exactly the dude you use for an ass-shot. It kinda diminishes his character.

Nightwing is a male character with much more focus on his sex appeal and the money shot would work better. (Also, in the comics Nightwing's ass is extremely recognizable according to several characters)

Suggesting it only for girls though...yikes

If people use this post as transition to talk about how SpiderMan 3 isn't really awful I'm ok with that

I don't get why people are so surprised. Ayer movies are usually shitted on critically. Same goes for Snyder. Both their movies had more chance of being reamed by reviews than praised tbh.

I don't like Ayer tbh, just wanna see this because I'm really curious about Waller and Joker and I like the grungy look he gave these dc characters. Will certainly check it out soon tho to see how it is. I'm only swayed by bad reviews if I found the trailers shit AND I don't care for the director and material.

cj_iwakura

I wish I could go through and find all the posts about people excited for the movie from the trailer threads, but I really don't have the time or patience. I'm still excited.

Still kind of sad at the massive turn-around.

This is something that I believe that I can see when it comes to the general movie going audience when it comes to block busters. There is the "It's just a forgettable blockbuster film" crowd, the "It's entertainment crowd", and folks like me who believe that there is a place for both big budget films and low-mid budget Oscar category films.

Many folks might say that films of this caliber are possibly forgettable but they inject money into the industry. Whereas "Prestige films" don't make as much money as these consistently. Sometimes people forget that movies like this are mostly made for money, and expecting every film like this to have a "message" is at times asking too much for them, when there are other genre's that do exactly just that.

No excuses for Shit films, but Directors like Michael bay intentionally don't care about a fucking message, just the Benji's.

Just my 2c

J_Viper

Spider-Man 3, as a follow-up to Spider-Man 2, is an atrocity.

However, when viewed on its own, it's a hysterical romp and one of my all time favorite comedies.

Salsa

This is something that I believe that I can see when it comes to the general movie going audience when it comes to block busters. There is the "It's just a forgettable blockbuster film" crowd, the "It's entertainment crowd", and folks like me who believe that there is a place for both big budget films and low-mid budget Oscar category films.

Many folks might say that films of this caliber are possibly forgettable but they inject money into the industry. Whereas "Prestige films" don't make as much money as these consistently. Sometimes people forget that movies like this are mostly made for money, and expecting every film like this to have a "message" is at times asking too much for them, when there are other genre's that do exactly just that.

Just my 2c

nah

it's easy

movies can be entertaining, blockbusters AND good!

these are just bad films (I mean, up to anyone's own opinion)

there's no excuse

So do we have hope for The Flash?

He's been the one Hero I've wanted on the Big screen.

Just use his movies to reverse this Cinematic universe/s

Edit: I think Will Smith Would've made ID 2 a better movie

Salsa

I bet the solo Affleck batman film features both The Joker and Harley and fuckin nothing else now

they'll just grab whatever works for the audience from these crap films and make that move

I bet the solo Affleck batman film features both The Joker and Harley and fuckin nothing else now

they'll just grab whatever works for the audience from these crap films and make that move

Fire dude will be the valet taking Bruce's keys at a party or something

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
At least people recognize the DC films are heavily faulted and sometimes outright bad. Marvel films continually get a pass despite lackluster, uninspired, poorly developed villains with lame motivations. Dull climaxes with no real emotional weight, risk, or challenge for the frequently bloated, undeveloped cast, complete with a predictable outcome. Two dimensional cast of heroes who go through the same motions and puddle deep internal conflicts quickly and easily resolved. And the same big budget explosion filled aliens/blue sky laser/floating ship shlock at the end. But don't forget to have 2 - 3 post credits scenes that only exist to market the next set of films.

Unless it's an "origin story" in which case the villain will be the same as the hero only a badguy version with all the same powers/suit and be motivated by money/power and probably wear a suit, and it'll go through all the story beats of every origin story because they're endlessly replicating Iron Man's success.

Super hero movies.

nah

it's easy

movies can be entertaining, blockbusters AND good!

these are just bad films (I mean, up to anyone's own opinion)

there's no excuse

I think you read my post missing my intentions, TDK is an Oscar level Blockbuster CBM. But these big studios mostly don't care about "messaging", just how much $$$ it makes.

If I was Tsujihara I'd take all the money i can right now.

I hope Ben is thinking about his Three homeruns in directing. I don't think he wants a bad mark on his resume.

I don't him to force DCU stuff in his films unless he knows what he's doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom