• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I got a pair of free tickets I will most likely still see this. I can't find anyone willing to go with me after I mentioned that this is connected to BVS and Rt is not helping lol.

At least it's only 2 hours long.

LosDaddie

Banned
Man, everything related to this film's villain sounds terrible. No idea what Ayer et al were thinking.

That WB picked a director who thought a three-hour, R-rated cut of a Superman/Batman film was an acceptable thing to deliver speaks equally badly of both parties.

Watching the BvS UC and I literally LOLed at the scene of Batman taking a shower and a shot of his bare ass.

No one pulled Snyder to the side and asked him WTF is he doing? I mean, I could see a scene like that for Harley and Poison Ivy (if she shows up) because sex appeal is part of their character, but Batman?

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I understand what you're getting at with the formulaic stuff. It's hard to unsee in a lot of these films.

Watching the BvS UC and I literally LOLed at the scene of Batman taking a shower and a shot of his bare ass.

No one pulled Snyder to the side and asked him WTF is he doing? I mean, I could see a scene like that for Harley and Poison Ivy (if she shows up) because sex appeal is part of their character, but Batman?

Listen right, I'm straight as they come, but out of everyone in the DCEU, I want to share a cosy bed with Affleck the most.

You guys are saying that Jahns and Stuckman didn't like BvS, yet they still gave the movie a score that would be considered fresh on RT (IIRC Jahns gave it a "watch it drunk", which is positive in his scale and Stuckman gave it C+)

Even when they seem negative they still give the movies positive scores and above the average when it's about comicbook movies, which is what leads to me to not trust them with these movies

Did anybody really dislike Batfleck? The Superman thing was a problem, yes, but the movie being long and incoherent was the real issue most reviews and fans talked about.

Nothing wrong with a mopey Superman. The story, editing, writing, etc. was shit. People latch onto how GRIIIMDAAAAAAARK it was because they either don't know how to explain the actual problems or they just don't care and want to be part of the cool crowd.

I feel like DC will keep making money with these movies because these films will always have AMAZING trailers. Sure, the movies may not be considered great or loved or remembered but the studios will make bank.

Moral of the story: if you can't make a great film, make a film that will guarantee an AMAZING trailer.

Did anybody really dislike Batfleck? The Superman thing was a problem, yes, but the movie being long and incoherent was the real issue most reviews and fans talked about.

I don't think anyone disliked his performance but some took issue with the way the character was written. I understand he's a dude who has seen some shit but to me he came across as bitter, murderous and worst of all, dumb. That isn't to say he can't be those things or that it's necessarily a problem in the context of the movie - it simply didn't work for me personally and I have little desire to see that take on the caped crusader again. My hope is that the events changed him to be a bit more optimistic and 'heroic' and that I'll enjoy his return in JL and the solo movie.

charsace

A lot of women find batman attractive though.

Elaborating on the villain (staying vague, but spoilered just in case):

specifically that this threat literally would not exist at all if it weren't for Waller and Task Force X (which might work in a sequel with 1-2 films' worth of buildup, but which completely undermines the entire point of the team when it's their first mission), and that nothing about the nature of said threat - aside from being inadvertently created by Waller et al. - necessitates a black-ops villain team being deployed against them; he/she could just as easily be the villain in a Justice League film

...what?

Schlorgan

Everyone should just go see Star Trek instead. A surprise jump back to #1 for that movie would be great and it could really use it.

UYga9IX.jpg

nfw2fi0.gif

Not getting nearly enough love as the Rocky 4 one.

Damn that sexy man and his amazing laughing.

icespide

Banned

what the hell is this post

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I understand what you're getting at with the formulaic stuff. It's hard to unsee in a lot of these films.

Pretty much. It's just shlock, and I'm off the hype train with the super hero stuff. End of the day almost all of these movies follow the same formula, with the same risks, and with the same safety nets. I can't remember who it was, RLM maybe, but the description of Civil War's Stark vs America fight as a "play fight" is apt and really where I'm at with this cinematic fad.

I guess for me personally Suicide Squad at least had an interesting premise in the cast going on that none of the other films have, sans Guardians of the Galaxy (which I also liked for the same reasons).

Not as bad as Winter Soldier, mind.

King of the Turds.
Winter Soldier is one of my legit fav super hero movies.

wachie

It's only going to get worse after this movie. It's a persecution complex. Batman v Superman's critical response started this "Fuck the critics" mentality. Now there is a hardcore base of fans who feel like this getting critically savaged is another attack on their well-being. The entire thing fits this year's political climate quite well actually.
DC fans are Trump supporters? The fuck.

I thought some of the persecution complex posts were hilarious but this post tops everything I've read in this thread.

Bravo.

To the people that have seen this movie: Does Batman have a pretty significant role in the movie? And also, is he awesome in this movie? Go ahead and spoiler tag if you would like. This is the deciding factor on whether I see this or not.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
To the people that have seen this movie: Does Batman have a pretty significant role in the movie? And also, is he awesome in this movie? Go ahead and spoiler tag if you would like. This is the deciding factor on whether I see this or not.

I don't think it takes having to see the movie to know Batman does next nothing in this film.

icespide

Banned
- spider-man 2 is very much overrated
- spider-man 3 isn't as bad as most people say
- batman forever is pretty good
- the directors cut of daredevil is actually pretty decent
- the dark knight without Heath Ledger is just as bad as the dark knight rises
- the avengers is fondly remembered because of the novelty of all these characters finally coming together, it's mostly just OKAY
- the rhino parts and electro dub step of amazing spider-man 2 are actually awesome
- winter soldier is good but totally shits the bed and turns into same-y marvel crap in the 3rd act
- I can't be trusted to talk about civil war because spider-man is so awesome in it that it over shadows the rest of the movie for me

Pretty much. It's just shlock, and I'm off the hype train with the super hero stuff. End of the day almost all of these movies follow the same formula, with the same risks, and with the same safety nets. I can't remember who it was, RLM maybe, but the description of Civil War's Stark vs America fight as a "play fight" is apt and really where I'm at with this cinematic fad.

A few years ago I'd find it laughably hyperbolic to call Dark Knight a masterpiece. But relative to the marvel movies and where DC has been heading overall post-Nolan it's looking more and more like that now in comparison

We need something like that again to kick the doors down soon.

I was hoping this would be some subversive punk rock comic movie but reviews making it sound fairly derivative. And with the joker to boot :(

Granted I am excited to see justice league, wonder woman and black panther but I'm not expecting anything beyond a decent romp in theaters any more. Shit is getting stale.

Order

This is a bullshit post tbh

get a look at this jabroni

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
- spider-man 2 is very much overrated
- spider-man 3 isn't as bad as most people say
- batman forever is pretty good
- the directors cut of daredevil is actually pretty decent
- the dark knight without Heath Ledger is just as bad as the dark knight rises
- the avengers is fondly remembered because of the novelty of all these characters finally coming together, it's mostly just OKAY
- the rhino parts and electro dub step of amazing spider-man 2 are actually awesome
- winter soldier is good but totally shits the bed and turns into same-y marvel crap in the 3rd act

god damn
you're mostly right tbf

- I can't be trusted to talk about civil war because spider-man is so awesome in it that it over shadows the rest of the movie for me
image.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom