• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is your takeaway?

I think it shows how much nitpicking there can be for Marvel films when we see studios laying turd after turd trying to follow in Marvel's footsteps.

What some see as formulaic, others view as the genre underpinnings Marvel helped rewrite, while bringing something new and fresh to the table almost every time out.

I think when you get something like Fant4stic to put things in perspective that TDKR or Spiderman 3 aren't the worst movies ever made, you can appreciate consistent quality that a studio like Marvel produces.

Or.....you can keep waiting on Fox and DC to stop shooting themselves in the foot and show Marvel how it's supposed to be done.

Well that consistent quality gets pretty boring though. At least personally speaking. It's to the point that I'm not having fun any more. I get hyped then I watch the movie and realized wait...it's basically the same thing I saw before. I mean if they have this formula down-pat why can't they improved on some of what they consistently screw up?

Though it would be nice if Fox and DC can bring their quality up. What happened with Fant4stic shouldn't have happened and I don't know what the hell is up with DC and their editing department.

Salsa

Then she was just in an okay movie. It is what it is.

Co4-H8RXYAAb_ks.jpg

EdisonTrent

Neo Member
I really wish I knew what this 'execution' people talk about actually means. Marvel movies have boring cinematography/directing and soundtracks. The acting ranges from bad to passable. The scripts are boring. What are they executing? Sure they're simple popcorn flicks that kids can enjoy, but that's about it. They're passable movies.

I'm not trying to shit on Marvel. I enjoy their movies... once. They're good but forgettable. I just want to understand what "execution" means, because to me things like direction, soundtrack choice, framing, etc is all execution and Marvel fucking fails at that.
You say that like it's something only critics can understand and the plebs can never detect. The average person subconsciously takes those things in when watching the movie to form an opinion on whether the movie is fun or entertaining. If Marvel 'fucking failed' at that then they would have gotten BvS level reviews. To take a semi-mainstream example, it doesn't need to be a Wes Anderson kind of movie to be a decent and enjoyable flick.

Your word choice here is borderline trashing Marvel as if making a 'mediocre' film (If you really could call IM1, Avengers, CA:WS, GOTG that) is easy. Then why do so many movies fail to even reach that standard?

I think that it's a testament to the MCU that cranking out movies that the general public knows will get them their money's worth and attracting large numbers to the box-office so consistently seems so effortless as to have people criticizing them for 'phoning it in'

pestul

I really wish I knew what this 'execution' people talk about actually means. Marvel movies have boring cinematography/directing and soundtracks. The acting ranges from bad to passable. The scripts are boring. What are they executing? Sure they're simple popcorn flicks that kids can enjoy, but that's about it. They're passable movies.

I'm not trying to shit on Marvel. I enjoy their movies... once. They're good but forgettable. I just want to understand what "execution" means, because to me things like direction, soundtrack choice, framing, etc is all execution and Marvel fucking fails at that.
Editing for one. Outside of maybe Ultron, the movies are not messy. They make sense and are easy for an audience to follow. And have likeable characters..

If they fuck up Wonder Woman feminist Twitter is gonna to go through the five stages of grief with that movie. I don't think WB understands how important that character is. lol

- spider-man 2 is very much overrated
- spider-man 3 isn't as bad as most people say
- batman forever is pretty good
- the directors cut of daredevil is actually pretty decent
- the dark knight without Heath Ledger is just as bad as the dark knight rises
- the avengers is fondly remembered because of the novelty of all these characters finally coming together, it's mostly just OKAY
- the rhino parts and electro dub step of amazing spider-man 2 are actually awesome
- winter soldier is good but totally shits the bed and turns into same-y marvel crap in the 3rd act
- I can't be trusted to talk about civil war because spider-man is so awesome in it that it over shadows the rest of the movie for me

Some of this is totally on point.

The Winter Soldier is, sadly, one of those things I agree with. Incredible film until that third act. Not many people can dispute how bloated and boring that third act is.

The subdued finale of Civil War is really something else, by comparison.

New002

- spider-man 2 is very much overrated
- spider-man 3 isn't as bad as most people say
- batman forever is pretty good
- the directors cut of daredevil is actually pretty decent
- the dark knight without Heath Ledger is just as bad as the dark knight rises
- the avengers is fondly remembered because of the novelty of all these characters finally coming together, it's mostly just OKAY
- the rhino parts and electro dub step of amazing spider-man 2 are actually awesome
- winter soldier is good but totally shits the bed and turns into same-y marvel crap in the 3rd act
- I can't be trusted to talk about civil war because spider-man is so awesome in it that it over shadows the rest of the movie for me

I like you and your opinions.

Bluth54

Watching the BvS UC and I literally LOLed at the scene of Batman taking a shower and a shot of his bare ass.

No one pulled Snyder to the side and asked him WTF is he doing? I mean, I could see a scene like that for Harley and Poison Ivy (if she shows up) because sex appeal is part of their character, but Batman?

It's not like we've never seen Bat ass shots before.
batman97-ass.jpg

We're actually probably lucky that Zach Snyder was able to restrain himself and just show Batman's ass and not him being raped in the shower.

Thank you for this post. I enjoy the MCU, but people talk up literally every film to be the next best thing. I get it if you're a huge comic person, but let's not act like the films aren't cookie-cutter at this point.

Salsa

Watching the BvS UC and I literally LOLed at the scene of Batman taking a shower and a shot of his bare ass.

No one pulled Snyder to the side and asked him WTF is he doing? I mean, I could see a scene like that for Harley and Poison Ivy (if she shows up) because sex appeal is part of their character, but Batman?

yeah billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne being sexy? get outta here!

Like, I guess if Harley and Deadshot made it out ok in this movie then it's not a complete failure. At the end of the day Harley fans got what they want.

It's not like we've never seen Bat ass shots before.
batman97-ass.jpg

We're actually probably lucky that Zach Snyder was able to restrain himself and just show Batman's ass and not him being raped in the shower.

I can understand A Ass shot, but why show the gooch? GROSS

You say that like it's something only critics can understand and the plebs can never detect. The average person subconsciously takes those things in when watching the movie to form an opinion on whether the movie is fun or entertaining. If Marvel 'fucking failed' at that then they would have gotten BvS level reviews. To take a semi-mainstream example, it doesn't need to be a Wes Anderson kind of movie to be a decent and enjoyable flick.

Your word choice here is borderline trashing Marvel as if making a 'mediocre' film (If you really could call IM1, Avengers, CA:WS, GOTG that) is easy. Then why do so many movies fail to even reach that standard?

I think that it's a testament to the MCU that cranking out movies that the general public knows will get them their money's worth and attracting large numbers to the box-office so consistently seems so effortless as to have people criticizing them for 'phoning it in'

You are genuinely trying to convince people to praise a studio for their mediocrity.

It's not a "testament" to anything positive, other than placating the gentle bellies of an audience with diminishing standards.

guek

Banned
Editing for one. Outside of maybe Ultron, the movies are not messy. They make sense and are easy for an audience to follow. And have likeable characters..

The MCU does not have bad cinematography either, at least not compared to most blockbusters.

Fuckin' aye, I went through Guardians two days ago for the screenshot thread and that movie is better looking than either MoS or BvS or, at the very least, on even footing.

kswiston

Civil War is the only Marvel film with a strong third act.

I think that Marvel tends to nail the first half of their films, so people already have a positive take when the endings bring that down a bit.

BvS had a great first scene, but after that, there's not a lot to prop up the bullshit parts.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
The Winter Soldier is, sadly, one of those things I agree with. Incredible film until that third act. Not many people can dispute how bloated and boring that third act is.

Nah, the ending is great. Falcon gets to kick a bunch of ass and Cap's fight with Bucky is heartbreaking.

guek

Banned
You are genuinely trying to convince people to praise a studio for their mediocrity.

It's not a "testament" to anything positive, other than placating the gentle bellies of an audience with diminishing standards.

This is just a roundabout way of saying you think highly of yourself. Good for you!

Thank you for this post. I enjoy the MCU, but people talk up literally every film to be the next best thing. I get it if you're a huge comic person, but let's not act like the films aren't cookie-cutter at this point.

You mean you aren't looking forward to the explosion filled final battle of Doctor Strange where Strange and the big bad fight over the macguffin (possibly on an aircraft carrier)?

guek

Banned
Civil War is the only Marvel film with a strong third act.

I think that Marvel tends to nail the first half of their films, so people already have a positive take when the endings bring that down a bit.

BvS had a great first scene, but after that, there's not a lot to prop up the bullshit parts.

Ant-Man and Avengers have great third acts too.

And for the life of me, I can never understand what people find so objectionable about Winter Soldier's third act. It's emotionally gripping and the action is enjoyable. It's not as compact as some people wanted but that doesn't inherently make it bad.

Some folks in here trying to make it seem the MCU is the best thing since sliced bread. Absurdity abound,
Great Cinematography? LOL!!! Get outta here with that.
Amazing Soundtracks? AHHAHA nope.
scusthov.gif
scusthov.gif
scusthov.gif

Cuburt

ChrisEvanslaugh.gif

To each their own but I'll likely never agree with this.
People want to blame Marvel for DC trying to add a lighter tone or having a bland villains or adding connections to other films, but if that was all the "Marvel formula" consists of, how come no one can pull it off?

How come those movies trying to ape Marvel are not as well reviewed or not as successful?

Either you can believe the conspiracy theories some subscribe to, or face the reality that Marvel makes good films.

Some call it Marvel getting a pass, but maybe poorly edited, poorly scripted films with poorly developed characters just don't resonate with audiences.

People want to blame Marvel for DC trying to add a lighter tone or having a bland villains or adding connections to other films, but if that was all the "Marvel formula" consists of, how come no one can pull it off?

How come those movies trying to ape Marvel are not as well reviewed or not as successful?

Either you can believe the conspiracy theories some subscribe to, or face the reality that Marvel makes good films.

Some call it Marvel getting a pass, but maybe poorly edited, poorly scripted films with poorly developed characters just don't resonate with audiences.

Because Marvel does it well. It's the same reason NBC can't get a procedural or sitcom to hit like CBS.

EdisonTrent

Neo Member

Sorry for applauding an Olympic athlete that isn't Usain Bolt. I think there is enough praise to go around for all types of movies including blockbusters with wide-ranging popularity.

Again if that is so easy, why do you have studios doing the equivalent of falling flat on their face? (Unless you think the MCU is legitimately garbage and doesn't deserve wide ranging popularity and only got it because apparently Marvel=$$$$ for no good reason, and DC isn't)

Toparaman

Banned
Oh my god it's happening again...the Chris Evans gifs are killing me.

I swear the RT score on every DCU movie is going to be a running joke.

Despite Marvel movies being by the numbers I think the reason people love them is they typically nail the casting and produce very likeable, memorable heroes.

That goes a long way to peoples enjoyment and allows them to overlook the rest of the predictable plot and lame villain.

People love Ant Man. They love Peter Quill and Groot. They love Cap and Tony. They even love characters like goddamn Luis.

Outside of the comic fans I think very few mainstream moviegoers felt the same attachment to Cavills Kent/Supes or will latch on to the SS cast that they did with the ones I mentioned above

DC desperately needs their RDJ to REALLY get people to start buying in and I'm not sure they have found him yet.

Salsa

it's almost like the secret to films and scripts being good and memorable and fun since the dawn of the entire medium is focusing on characters rather than story

omg148.gif

Sorry for applauding an Olympic athlete that isn't Usain Bolt. I think there is enough praise to go around for all types of movies including blockbusters with wide-ranging popularity.

Again if that is so easy, why do you have studios doing the equivalent of falling flat on their face? (Unless you think the MCU is legitimately garbage and doesn't deserve wide ranging popularity and only got it because apparently Marvel=$$$$ for no good reason, and DC isn't)

What studios are attempting to ape Marvel's creative vision to a tee?
I'll wait.

Also, I never said it was easy. I am saying it is pedestrian and not particularly daring. A distinct lack of grinta.

it's almost like the secret to films and scripts being good and fun since the dawn of the entire medium is focusing on characters rather than story

This is a nice compliment to the post I made above. A great 'story' or plot - whatever that ends up being - is meaningless if you don't care about the characters participating in it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom