• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
UYga9IX.jpg

I can't...
ms_quer.gif

Despite the reviews I may still go see the film. I'm kind of disappointed as it looked like it could of been good and help DC start down the right path after the poor reviews of Batman vs. Superman

It'll be interesting to see the audience consensus on this a few months from now, if there is one.

Where I think BvS was divisive mainly due to whether or not people thought that version of Batman and Supes were mopey angsty douchebags, I don't think that same issue will come up here. So there should be less of interpretation factor in that regard, and I would think a more consistent reception

So we at the part of the thread where pages consist of y'all reposting and quoting old ass Evans gifs huh.

I haven't seen the tornado Kent money one in a 10 pages or something if we are going for 100% completion.

Oersted

Well, the obvious reality is that Snyder delivered a 3hour movie and the studio mandated that he cut it so they could get the requisite number of weekend screenings in.

No way would he get final cut on such a big project without the suits' say-so, and he's not dumb enough to publicly complain about having to do it and sabotage his position helming Justice League.

How many comercially designed movies are there, where the final theatrical cut belonged to the director?

Seriously asking, can't be that many.

LosDaddie

Banned
Well, the obvious reality is that Snyder delivered a 3hour movie and the studio mandated that he cut it so they could get the requisite number of weekend screenings in.

No way would he get final cut on such a big project without the suits' say-so, and he's not dumb enough to publicly complain about having to do it and sabotage his position helming Justice League.

While I agree the UC is the superior film, it's still a deeply flawed movie. Critic reviews and auduence WOM would've been only marginally better had it been the film shown in theaters.

Directors are forced to make cuts all the time. Whedon complained as much for AoU.

It'll be interesting to see the audience consensus on this a few months from now, if there is one.

Where I think BvS was divisive mainly due to whether or not people thought that version of Batman and Supes were mopey angsty douchebags, I don't think that same issue will come up here. So there should be less of interpretation factor in that regard, and I would think a more consistent reception

he BvS was a lousy movie because it was lousy. it had a lame villain who was a copy of a copy of a cheesy Jim Carrey villain from the 90s Batman series. the entire B story with the senator and luthor made no sense. the terrorist plot made no sense (so they were framing Superman by making it look like he shot a bunch of terrorists? what?) it had a dumb plot. it hyped up the title bout to no end with pretentious and shallow religious allusions and overwhelmingly underdelivered on it.

emo Superman was really the only thing going for it, the only thing to make this movie stand out. i will give it that, it probably took guts to have Superman say "Superman was never real" in a movie. and a few scenes in the alt reality were cool but that's about it.

I've seen Batman beat people up before so that scene didn't exactly blow me away like it did some people.

the Martha thing at the end was so stupid i would have believe if you told me Zach Snyder wrote the screenplay when he was 10 and just held onto it all this time.

Inspiration isn't the problem. It's talent. DC doesn't have it, not enough to make good movies.

They got top-notch talent to make the film. I assume it's just cinematic universe syndrome, where the talent isn't allowed to make any of the creative decisions.

So many of these big franchise movies feel like they are being kicked to death by business people.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The problems I had with the movie were the following;

- Too many characters with not enough focus. It's a simple film (as a strength) but I feel the narrative stretches itself too thin, resulting in a sometimes bloated cast where not enough attention is given to potentially interesting crew (it's a problem I had with Age of Ultron too).

- Typical super hero movie contrivances in the narrative to ensure characters end up where they need to be, and the usual big bad does the big bad stuff.

- Leto's Joker is half great half awful. The pathological, unstable gangster thing is fine by me and a refreshingly different take to the last two. But Leto's wacky clown laughter and loljoke personality does not work at all and instead comes across as laughably unthreatening and lame. Good idea, wrong casting or direction.

- All those rumours/talk of reshoots to make the film funnier are really obvious to me. Sometimes the movie weirdly disconnects itself to go into a kinda character skit (Harley in the elevator from the trailers is an example) and it never feels right. It's like the movie had one tone, a kinda semi-dark but funny due to inherent context and concept, and the producers have forced in very deliberate "funny things". They're not frequent, but they definitely feel like out of place reshoots that break the pacing. Another example would be the whole kitschy neon aesthetic. Like okay, I get it, but it doesn't feel like it was part of the original vision and instead stitched in later in production. Lacks cohesion in aesthetic and vision, particularly tone.

- The story is junk but it's a super hero movie and they're all shit so you should expect that already. It's formulaic I guess.

Good things;

- The cast is fun. Smith is great, surprisingly so. Carla is underused but great for what she does. Viola is fucking amazing holy shit best actor on set. Seriously kills it and easily my favourite character to watch.

- When it's not in its weird tonally off reshoots I like the aesthetic, premise, and tone. I think that elevates it above the usual shlock. It's basically DC's Guardians of the Galaxy, but whatever.

- It's disposable fun.

I actually didn't mind it. I mean, keep in mind when it comes to super hero movies I really, truly, deeply don't give a fuck about them. I started of loving them, but they've become so formulaic and uninteresting to me that I just don't care. I totally dig the appeal and I'm not trying to high horse, I just don't care, about the characters or climaxes or anything. It's a cinematic direction I have nearly zero emotional investment or resonance with. That being said I still see them from time to time, and Suicide Squad while obviously riddled with problems was still a fun ride. It's a far more competent film than most of DC's output, competence issues seemingly mostly a result of the production team fucking around with the overall vision.

I think as a whole it would have benefitted with reduce LOLNEONMEME aesthetic and lame, kitschy cuts to character skits, and instead relied on the natural humour from the premise and concept alone (which is what I suspect the original vision was). You don't need silly jokes or goofy sequences in a movie like this; it's inherently wacky and dumb, and that tongue-in-cheek premise of villains-as-heroes works well enough as it is.

I don't know. I kept unintentionally falling asleep in Star Trek Beyond, but I didn't feel that watching this. Enjoy, I guess?

And that's why their movies have been shut so far.

But even before this DCEU we still got turds like green lantern.

Going from MoS -> BvS isn't the reason they have been disappointments. That would have nothing to do with this movie, for instance. Team movies can work straight off the bat - we don't need 5 X-men solo films before we do an X-men team movie. We don't need 4 Fantastic 4 solo films before we do the Fantastic 4 (this post assumes there will ever be a good fantastic 4 film, but it applies to the comic stories I guess. Guardians of the Galaxy didn't need solo films to establish the backstory of most characters. The Dirty Dozen didn't need extensive origin stories.

In BvS's case, what they needed was a better script and a better final cut of the movie. The improved Director's Cut did go some way to improving it, and demonstrated that it was damaged in editing, but could only work with what it had. They needed a better foundation.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Inspiration isn't the problem. It's talent. DC doesn't have it, not enough to make good movies.

It's a tough game. Man of Steel and Batman v Superman weren't my cup of tea, but Snyder can juggle these big projects and deliver on time. I don't know if that merits them staying on their path with him...

Yeah, DC could find some new hot shots with good pitches. But unless there is a good support network, the weight of such a big project might crush an inexperienced director. DC doesn't want a F4NTASTIC FOUR situation on their hands.

Save us, Wonder Woman.

Man, everything related to this film's villain sounds terrible. No idea what Ayer et al were thinking.

That WB picked a director who thought a three-hour, R-rated cut of a Superman/Batman film was an acceptable thing to deliver speaks equally badly of both parties.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
How many comercially designed movies are there, where the final theatrical cut belonged to the director?

Seriously asking, can't be that many.

Above a certain budget threshold, basically zero. Its always at the studio/execs discretion and they couldn't give a fuck about "art" or creative concerns if it gets in the way of making a return on investment.

Baha

Thinking of resubbing to Double Toasted tonight just to see their review of Suicide Squad in all it's glory.

So we at the part of the thread where pages consist of y'all reposting and quoting old ass Evans gifs huh.

I haven't seen the tornado Kent money one in a 10 pages or something if we are going for 100% completion.

Yeah but we haven't gotten into the cyclic Marvel trilogy thread derail of AoU, IM3, and Thor 2 yet. ;(

IT'S BACK :D

love that laugh

Green Lantern was our warning of the Post-Nolan world. And we did not heed it.

More like a promise that got shredded by executives into a grim reminder of what WB's meddling is capable of.

charsace

Sounds like producers fucked this movie up. Snyder's serious style of movies scared them and they did a ton of reshoots to try to be like marvel.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Thinking of resubbing to Double Toasted tonight just to see their review of Suicide Squad in all it's glory.

It's gonna be goooooood. Korey has been hyped by the trailers, Martin has been extremely cautious as usual. It's BvS a over again.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's honestly no worse than Age of Ultron.

PS Age of Ultron was shit.

charsace

Did anybody really dislike Batfleck? The Superman thing was a problem, yes, but the movie being long and incoherent was the real issue most reviews and fans talked about.

Affleck is the best casting for Batman so far. Saved the movie with the exception of a few bad scenes that he could do nothing about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom