• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

I think you read my post missing my intentions, TDK is an Oscar level Blockbuster CBM. But these big studios mostly don't care about "messaging", just how much $$$ it makes.

they 100% care about making these films good. they're just misguided and bad at it

idk why you focus on message

something like Winter Soldier isnt necessarely deep nor anything of the sort

it's just a GOOD movie

Gleethor

- spider-man 2 is very much overrated
- spider-man 3 isn't as bad as most people say
- batman forever is pretty good
- the directors cut of daredevil is actually pretty decent
- the dark knight without Heath Ledger is just as bad as the dark knight rises
- the avengers is fondly remembered because of the novelty of all these characters finally coming together, it's mostly just OKAY
- the rhino parts and electro dub step of amazing spider-man 2 are actually awesome
- winter soldier is good but totally shits the bed and turns into same-y marvel crap in the 3rd act
- I can't be trusted to talk about civil war because spider-man is so awesome in it that it over shadows the rest of the movie for me

I...uhhh...

You know what? Yeah. Yeah to all of it.

At least people recognize the DC films are heavily faulted and sometimes outright bad. Marvel films continually get a pass despite lackluster, uninspired, poorly developed villains with lame motivations. Dull climaxes with no real emotional weight, risk, or challenge for the frequently bloated, undeveloped cast, complete with a predictable outcome. Two dimensional cast of heroes who go through the same motions and puddle deep internal conflicts quickly and easily resolved. And the same big budget explosion filled aliens/blue sky laser/floating ship shlock at the end. But don't forget to have 2 - 3 post credits scenes that only exist to market the next set of films.

Unless it's an "origin story" in which case the villain will be the same as the hero only a badguy version with all the same powers/suit and be motivated by money/power and probably wear a suit, and it'll go through all the story beats of every origin story because they're endlessly replicating Iron Man's success.

Super hero movies.

Looking forward to Gambit, though. I think Channing Tatum is really going to turn some heads.

Timu

- the rhino parts and electro dub step of amazing spider-man 2 are actually awesome
- winter soldier is good but totally shits the bed and turns into same-y marvel crap in the 3rd act
Agreed with these!

Salsa

At least people recognize the DC films are heavily faulted and sometimes outright bad. Marvel films continually get a pass despite lackluster, uninspired, poorly developed villains with lame motivations. Dull climaxes with no real emotional weight, risk, or challenge for the frequently bloated, undeveloped cast, complete with a predictable outcome. Two dimensional cast of heroes who go through the same motions and puddle deep internal conflicts quickly and easily resolved. And the same big budget explosion filled aliens/blue sky laser/floating ship shlock at the end. But don't forget to have 2 - 3 post credits scenes that only exist to market the next set of films.

Unless it's an "origin story" in which case the villain will be the same as the hero only a badguy version with all the same powers/suit and be motivated by money/power and probably wear a suit, and it'll go through all the story beats of every origin story because they're endlessly replicating Iron Man's success.

Super hero movies.

I think they know they're being called out on it tho

this is mainly the reason why im most excited about Thor Ragnarok out of the next films, funnily enough

given what we know I doubt they can follow that trite structure much, and they got a purely independent comedy director

gimme them left turns

I can't believe I just spend a good part of the day reading through this thread. At least the gifs made it worth it. I guess I can't say I'm too surprised by the RT score, but I'm still going on Friday. This has been a really dry summer for good movies, though movies in general have been pretty good for me (Zootopia, Jungle Book, Civil War, Finding Dory, The Witch, Green Room, Midnight Special).

Super hero movies.
SS sucks-> SS is great-> Better than thor 2-> Better than Ironman 3-> better than Ultron-> better than superman 64 -> Comic films are the end of cinema-> Marvel is the Illuminati-> bob iger is lucifer, Repeat

pbZx6PO.jpg

they 100% care about making these films good. they're just misguided and bad at it

idk why you focus on message

something like Winter Soldier isnt necessarely deep nor anything of the sort

it's just a GOOD movie

It's alright. Not that good. This genre has been peaking at like 7/10 since the dark knight. They're such underachievers and they can get away with it because we're always discussing and arguing about them and making them the biggest movies of the year every year. It's a director issue i think. The people Marvel and WB are hiring now really do make Chris Nolan look like Kubrick in comparison lol.

And it's not gonna change any time soon. The real ambitious and interesting filmmakers are constantly turning these movies down and doing their own thing and that's fine but damn.

This isn't a bad thing. It's been working very well for marvel financially and the DC movies haven't been doing bad either so far. But the element of surprise has just gone. You go in the theaters now knowing exactly what you're gonna get with these films. That's cool but it's become so routine.

On one hand, I am legitimately disappointed that this film turned out the way it apparently did. This would've been the movie to salvage the DCEU. Alas, it doesn't seem to be the case. I'll be waiting for the reboot.

On the other hand, reading this thread, page by page...

popcorn__.gif

RDreamer

You're too hung up on the what and not the execution which not only highlights the key differences between the two studios but also how well Marvel does it. Strip that important variable out of the picture and you're post comes close to being true.

On a side note, The entire argument against one dimensional villains still throws me off. These movies need not prioritize Shakespearean characters far more than having a good time at the theatre.

I really wish I knew what this 'execution' people talk about actually means. Marvel movies have boring cinematography/directing and soundtracks. The acting ranges from bad to passable. The scripts are boring. What are they executing? Sure they're simple popcorn flicks that kids can enjoy, but that's about it. They're passable movies.

I'm not trying to shit on Marvel. I enjoy their movies... once. They're good but forgettable. I just want to understand what "execution" means, because to me things like direction, soundtrack choice, framing, etc is all execution and Marvel fucking fails at that.

Jhans is a pretty poor reviewer honestly. Checked out some of his other reviews to see.
He's more of a first impression reviwer. He doesn't really go into details on technical side. Mostly on what cools and whatnot.

Cuburt

Super hero movies.

That is your takeaway?

I think it shows how much nitpicking there can be for Marvel films when we see studios laying turd after turd trying to follow in Marvel's footsteps.

What some see as formulaic, others view as the genre underpinnings Marvel helped rewrite, while bringing something new and fresh to the table almost every time out.

I think when you get something like Fant4stic to put things in perspective that TDKR or Spiderman 3 aren't the worst movies ever made, you can appreciate consistent quality that a studio like Marvel produces.

Or.....you can keep waiting on Fox and DC to stop shooting themselves in the foot and show Marvel how it's supposed to be done.

Solo Batfleck movie should just adapt
If WB somehow fucked that up...

I don't want them to adapt anything. Give me something fresh, not just re-telling the stories people already know.

Super hero movies.

Marvel executes well, which is why I think they get more of a pass. I agree with some of your points. My problem with MCU is that it doesn't ever feel like there are any stakes, and I think this is the issue with the whole "extended universe" in general. They set out to give comic fans their comic characters and stories brought to life, and because of that I totally get why people go crazy for them even if it can be a little fan service-y at times, but I think it's starting to get stale for me. Knowing Nolan's TDK universe was a self-contained trilogy sort of made it feel like they could go more interesting/different places with the storytelling and characters. Short of WB abandoning the Cinematic Universe concept and instead just telling individual stories (maybe some Elseworld's style stuff) I think they would eventually deal with the same thing.

The Doctor Strange review thread is going to be Boring as hell. probably wont get past 25 pages. Even this thread is unmomentous compared to the BvS one.

I think you're reading into something that doesn't exist. And maybe she's lying, but she often she talks about how empowering playing Waller felt. Can't comment on her character's role in Suicide Squad as I haven't seen yet, but who knows if it's the last she gets to play her.

Then she was just in an okay movie. It is what it is.

others view as the genre underpinnings Marvel helped rewrite, while bringing something new and fresh to the table almost every time out.

I think when you get something like Fant4stic to put things in perspective that TDKR or Spiderman 3 aren't the worst movies ever made, you can appreciate consistent quality that a studio like Marvel produces.

ChrisEvanslaugh.gif

To each their own but I'll likely never agree with this.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Marc Bernardin has posted his thoughts

Baenardin ‏@marcbernardin 57m57 minutes ago
So, thoughts on #SuicideSquad. Mind you, these are MY OWN. While I am a journalist, I am not a critic for any outlet.

Baenardin ‏@marcbernardin 54m54 minutes ago
There's a really fun 40 minutes at the top of #SuicideSquad, where it feels like Ocean's 11 meets Guardians of the Galaxy. And then...

Baenardin ‏@marcbernardin 55m55 minutes ago
Then you can watch as #SuicideSquad becomes the movie Zack Snyder hired David Ayer to make: a grim, punishing, humorless urban action movie.

Baenardin ‏@marcbernardin 54m54 minutes ago
For the life of me, I can't understand why these films have to end with CG punching CG standing in front of a CG destroy-a-city machine.

Baenardin ‏@marcbernardin 51m51 minutes ago
Margot Robbie is fun and Will Smith kicks that old Will Smith charm into gear, but it's not in service of much.

Baenardin ‏@marcbernardin 49m49 minutes ago
Jared Leto's Joker is an interesting creation but is totally peripheral to #SuicideSquad's drama, to its detriment.

Baenardin ‏@marcbernardin 46m46 minutes ago
But, hey, #SuicideSquad will make $140 million this weekend, so what I do know? (Except that Warner Bros are ninjas at selling a movie.)

Schlorgan

Raimi was actually predicting all of this with Spider-Man 3.

Symbiote-suit Peter Parker = Post-Nolan DC

Think about it.
;P

I really wish I knew what this 'execution' people talk about actually means. Marvel movies have boring cinematography/directing and soundtracks. The acting ranges from bad to passable. The scripts are boring. What are they executing? Sure they're simple popcorn flicks that kids can enjoy, but that's about it. They're passable movies.

I'm not trying to shit on Marvel. I enjoy their movies... once. They're good but forgettable. I just want to understand what "execution" means, because to me things like direction, soundtrack choice, framing, etc is all execution and Marvel fucking fails at that.

^^

The Hermit

- spider-man 2 is very much overrated
- batman forever is pretty good
- the directors cut of daredevil is actually pretty decent
- the dark knight without Heath Ledger is just as bad as the dark knight rises
- the avengers is fondly remembered because of the novelty of all these characters finally coming together, it's mostly just OKAY
- I can't be trusted to talk about civil war because spider-man is so awesome in it that it over shadows the rest of the movie for me

tumblr_inline_mq378y49Db1qz4rgp.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom