• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of Shane black I dont see the love IM3 gets, the movie is all over the place and is barely better than IM2. Both are "Fun" but that about the only positives I can give them. And Gwyneth remains the First Lady of the MCU

Ahasverus

Woah. Story? Or events that shape the character arcs of the Fellowship? Because the story itself..... The trails and battles in LOTR would mean nothing without the characters. Characters provide stakes and context. LOTR would be just a bunch of traveling, fighting, and set pieces without the characters and that would be shit. Oh wait, I just described the Hobbit trilogy.
They are both important. You just can't use good characters in bad stories, for a good character to be actually good story can't be braindead, that's all I'm asking for.
unlike BvS, I am actually sad now
Unlike BvS, I'm not. You just like what you like, there's lot to love if you're willing to look hard enough. Emphasis on willing. Ha.

Phamit

I dunno, Lord of the Rings? There isn't a more unlikeable protagonist as Frodo, and still, the story is so well executed you can't help bu fall in love with the world. The Hobbit has a better MC, but a far worse story.

One of the most important things in Lord of the Rings are the characters. It's not all about Frodo after all. You still have Sam, Gimli and Legolas, Gollum, Saruman etc.

The Hobbit fails to make the dwarfs memorable

wachie

- spider-man 2 is very much overrated
- spider-man 3 isn't as bad as most people say
- batman forever is pretty good
- the directors cut of daredevil is actually pretty decent
- the dark knight without Heath Ledger is just as bad as the dark knight rises
- the avengers is fondly remembered because of the novelty of all these characters finally coming together, it's mostly just OKAY
- the rhino parts and electro dub step of amazing spider-man 2 are actually awesome
- winter soldier is good but totally shits the bed and turns into same-y marvel crap in the 3rd act
- I can't be trusted to talk about civil war because spider-man is so awesome in it that it over shadows the rest of the movie for me
Stopped at the first line, couldn't be further from the truth.

Lotr is a better ensemble series than any mcu film or justice league will be. Believe that

The Hobbit is more on their level but I found the first two more enjoyable than the avengers movies honestly.

And nah salsa you literally just said nice guys is ONLY about the characters. I don't get what youre saying at all with that. Shane Black says hes inspired by a lot of crime novels. Many of which are very much plot-oriented page turners. Just because he has very likeable characters given plenty of time on screen with doesn't mean they're all of a sudden character studies or some shit. Nice guys and kiss kiss bang bang are your standard murder mysteries.

Salsa

Shane Black got to direct Iron Man 3 cause the MCU school of film was completely taking his ideas since day 1

each time people go see one of those film and cum in their pants when Bucky / Falcon gives a slight "we are great friends" eye to Cap or that approving face when he kisses a lady Shane Black should get a dollar

The Hermit

They are both important. You just can't use good characters in bad stories, for a good character to be actually good story can't be braindead, that's all I'm asking for.

Unlike BvS, I'm not. You just like what you like, there's lot to love if you're willing to look hard enough. Emphasis on willing. Ha.

but BvS was a sequel of an already terrible movie that tried to link 3 different stories at once (Dark Knight, Doomsday and the birth of Justice League)
It had NO right to work.

SS was a cool idea that had no expectation at first and gained momentum to crash and burn. I still have to see it, but apparently the movie ends up like another dark, emo crap like Man of Steel.

Ahasverus

SS was a cool idea that had no expectation at first and gained momentum to crash and burn. I still have to see it, but apparently the movie ends up like another dark, emo crap like Man of Steel.
That's not the main criticism at all, if anything it seems to be too shallow, the jokes are in there, but it flies dangerously close to cartoon levels.

Shane Black got to direct Iron Man 3 cause the MCU school of film was completely taking his ideas since day 1

each time people go see one of those film and cum in their pants when Bucky / Falcon gives a slight "we are great friends" eye to Cap or that approving face when he kisses a lady Shane Black should get a dollar
I'd argue other directors have been doing what Black does just with a different style.

Salsa

Well LOTR has writing at a level no comic film can even dream of touching so it's kinda hard comparison to make

not like anyone is gonna dispute that but it's beside the point. the similarities lie within caring about the characters and the relationship between em enough to give a fuck about stakes. that's a huge part of why these movies succeed

I'd argue other directors have been doing what Black does just with a different style.

it's not like Shane Black invented that sort of "buddy cop" movie but Marvel always got real close to 80s Black with its approach

thing is, it's the way to go. Shane Black sure took a lot from comics too

it all works out

More like he was persona non grata until RDJ used his 'I own you' button on Disney

Disco hates family brah

Maybe that's why he spends all his time on GAF.
sass2.png

Ahasverus

I mean they could but LOTR also has the huge benefit of its source material being legit incredible and written by a Linguist Professor. As much as I love comics, they aren't anywhere near Tolkien.
There is great stuff to be inspired by in the comics, they need talent, good talent.

Maybe that's why he spends all his time on GAF.
sass2.png

Don't we all?

Speaking of Dark Worlds, we should talk about THOR!

But honestly, I very much agreed with the sentiment given earlier that Marvel movies are mostly just inoffensive boring movies made to watched once, because on the second run they're so fucking boring. Except for Guardians of the Galaxy and Iron Man, which both finer writing to them. On the DC end, it's either animation, Tim Burton, or Nolan's first two Batman's, the rest is so far kind of underwhelming too. But points for Batman and Robin for trying though. For a bad movie, it sure is quotable.

Speaking of Shane black I dont see the love IM3 gets, the movie is all over the place and is barely better than IM2. Both are "Fun" but that about the only positives I can give them. And Gwyneth remains the First Lady of the MCU

Fuck it, let me derail the conversation about IM3 and let's go straight to Thor 2 is the best movie ever

wachie

Please no.

Shane Black did one movie and it was so tonally different than the rest of the MCU movies that it was his last. The character treatment in MCU movies is nothing like Shane Black's movies.

P. S. I liked IM3 and made a thread about it last year.

Salsa

The character treatment in MCU movies is nothing like Shane Black's movies.

well i'd argue that's just factually wrong but im gonna go ahead and say "opinions" cause I feel like I already had this conversation just now and the examples are too obvious to point out

i'll say this: Iron Man 3 is easily his most different movie, so that's to your point

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
This thread, like the movie Suicide Squad, is a disaster.

Some observations:
- The Ultimate Edition of Batman V. Superman remains the superior movie, though I'd-Rather-Die-Than-Watch-This Squad tried it's best.
- Marvel won. Civil War remains the best live action film of 2016, with triple the rottentomato percentage of Kill-Me-Now Squad.
- The Nolan Batman trilogy is garbage. Affleck is a better Batman than Bale could ever HOPE to be.
- Chris Evans is coming for that Oscar.

8k3fRLD.gif

someone called me out on Twitter for my terrible opinions in this thread haha

Scarjo is baby momma material in TWS, but the film does fall apart in the final act.

Avengers is the best Superhero movie of all time IMO, but TDK is the best general film based on a comic property.

This thread, like the movie Suicide Squad, is a disaster.

Some observations:
- The Ultimate Edition of Batman V. Superman remains the superior movie, though I'd-Rather-Die-Than-Watch-This Squad tried it's best.
- Marvel won. Civil War remains the best live action film of 2016, with triple the rottentomato percentage of Kill-Me-Now Squad.
- The Nolan Batman trilogy is garbage. Affleck is a better Batman than Bale could ever HOPE to be.
- Chris Evans is coming for that Oscar.

8k3fRLD.gif
Bruh.. I think you need a break from the internet.

Plot doesn't mean anything if the characters suck. Character comes first, always. Why care about what's happening in a story if you don't care about the characters? The success of the MCU is based on the characters. If you don't dig the characters, it would make sense that you don't dig the movies that they star in.

Also, the Hobbit movies are terrible, just though I would throw that out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom