• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Kid

I don't even think this is true. Tbh, almost no one I know outside of the internet talks about RT scores or anything like that. I don't think movie going experiences have changed much. The majority of people who go to 3D movie screenings are just people doing it socially. My perception is that the more a person cares about RT scores or whatever, the more likely the person is someone who books IMAX 3D tickets a month in advance and wants to feel as hyped as possible before going into a film. :p

I actually hear it brought up quite a bit. It's never in a "this movie is objectively bad" sort of way, but when Batman V Superman came out we all sort of lost interest because of it.

It's not the specific score even. It usually just makes me more excited for a movie or tempers my expectations. I didn't expect anything out of Zootopia 2 months before but when I saw those RT scores being like 99% positive I became more excited for the weekend showing.

With Batman V Superman I canceled my ticket.

Kathian

Banned
I just hope the failures of these films makes Marvel wonder if a series about some stones and a CGI villain are really to be the high points of their universe.

HowZatOZ

Banned
We're getting a more steady stream of comic book films so overzealous fans use the scores to validate their own opinions or invalidate the opinions of others. It's either:

Look! This movie is great! It has a 90% on RT

Or

Fuck critics! I enjoyed it.

I would say that social media played a part in their growing importance. Movie studios started using their RT score in promotion material as well. I literally just saw a commercial for Star Trek Beyond that had the RT score on it. Not the first time I've seen that either.

It's the modern equivalent of cherry picking random quotes from critics to include in the "Now in theaters" commercials.

I mean...you don't gotta explain yourself if you enjoyed a movie with a low RT score. Other people enjoyed it. Batman vs Superman having a 27% or whatever doesn't make it a 2.7 out of 10 movie. Just that only 27% of critics had a favorable opinion of it. But people can't get that through their skulls. We do this same song and dance over and over again. I don't know why crazy fans get so worked up about it. Probably because they have some strong emotional attachment to all of this and they're perceiving bad critical reception as the world collectively saying they have bad taste.
Its the exact same gaming side. It's a justification for your opinion and god dammit it'll be the right one.

Like I keep saying and was saying in the OT after seeing the premiere, it's a good film. It isnt overly fantastic but it does a good job at being fun and has some enjoyable characters to boot. Expect that and you'll be fine.

And also Jai Courtney is redeemed. Best fucking comic hero this year alongside Deadpool.

Thor 2

ERE4pv.gif

shit quality I know lol

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Warner Bros is probably happy as well. Batman v Superman made back their budget, obviously not as much as they hoped but it still paid the bills. Gotta be happy about something.

Suicide Squad is different though, it has a bunch of no names that the general audience has no idea of who they are unlike the trinity of DC comics.

milanbaros

Member?
If this underperforms, how long until they rethink the DC cinematic universe? I suppose they will wait to see if Batman can be a success first.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I don't even think this is true. Tbh, almost no one I know outside of the internet talks about RT scores or anything like that. I don't think movie going experiences have changed much. The majority of people who go to 3D movie screenings are just people doing it socially. My perception is that the more a person cares about RT scores or whatever, the more likely the person is someone who books IMAX 3D tickets a month in advance and wants to feel as hyped as possible before going into a film. :p

But people hear the bad reviews. When BvS reviews showed up, I was asked by friends and relatives what happened to that movie and these people dont care for reviews usually.

HowZatOZ

Banned
If this underperforms, how long until they rethink the DC cinematic universe? I suppose they will wait to see if Batman can be a success first.
It won't be a gigantic success, like a billion dollars or anything, but it'll do alright. That will put some concern into DC, and probably shift style of Justice League and solo Batman.

ramparter

Banned
Comic book movies better than Nolan's trilogy:

-Captain America: First Avenger
-Captain America: Winter Soldier
-Captain America: Civil War
-Avengers 1
-Watchmen
-Man of Steel
-Batman V. Superman Ultimate Edition with 30 extra minutes that fixed everything
-Guardians of the Galaxy
-Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World starring Chris Evans as Ex Boyfriend Lucas Lee
-X-men 2
-X-men Days of Future Past

You Nolanites are devoted though 😂😂😂
Some of those are valid challengers. But

JimiNutz

Banned
If they want to pull a redo, the best point I think would be Flash to travel back in time, save Pa Kent from tornado and let him die from a heart attack.

Hopefully Justice League Part One doesn't really have Superman in it at all. The League are getting their butts kicked by some sort of super powerful being. In a desperate attempt to correct the past and save Superman, Flash travels back in time...
Reboot.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

Well, production for Justice League is well underway, Wonder Woman is (almost?) done, IIRC Batman is locked in, so my guess is that if Justice League Pt 2 underperforms, they'll pull the plug. But that's years from now.

Waldini

They're playing catch up with Marvel. The Avengers are gonna be like 50 deep by the time Infinity War rolls around.

They most certainly are ...

Man of Steel ... mediocre movie. Entertaining, but that's about it.
Batman vs Superman ... terrible. Didn't make alot of sense. Extended Edition was slightly better.
Suicide Squad ... looks fun.

The reason Avengers was good was because the audience was INTRODUCED to these characters before. Batman vs Superman could've been better if they'd just take Bale-Bat. We know how Bale-Bat works and we know what he can do. Now, you need to introduce a new Batman ... who works different. O well.

For a movie that's called Batman vs Superman ... they should've just focused on these two characters. Now you get Doomsday, Lex Luthor, Wonder Woman and a shitload of other information.

CloudWolf

-Avengers 1
-Watchmen
-Man of Steel
-Batman V. Superman Ultimate Edition with 30 extra minutes that fixed everything
-Guardians of the Galaxy
-X-men 2

I love a few of those films, but none of them come close to the greatness of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

Chichikov

The reason Avengers was good was because the audience was INTRODUCED to these characters before. Batman vs Superman could've been better if they'd just take Bale-Bat. We know how Bale-Bat works and we know what he can do. Now, you need to introduce a new Batman ... who works different. O well.
People keep saying that, but I don't think it's true. I only watched Iron Man before watching The Avengers and that movie was enjoyable to me.
And I don't think there was a whole lot of introduction of characters in this movie, there was some of it, and yes, the email attachment scenes were stupid as fuck, but I think the movie doesn't work even if all those characters were established in prior films.

-Avengers 1
-Watchmen
-Man of Steel
-Guardians of the Galaxy
-X-men 2

Might as well just list Fantastic Four and Thor 2 while you are at it.

duckroll

The reason Avengers is good isn't because the audience was introduced to these characters beforehand in individual movies. That really doesn't have much bearing on the movie itself being good or bad. It could still have been a shit movie.

But!

One of the reasons Avengers made so much fucking bank is because the audience was hyped and marketed to directly through a bunch of individual films before it was ever released. See, this makes more sense to me. It's not about the quality of Avengers itself so much as the extended prolonged marketing campaign that was Phase 1.

Liamario

Banned
I really don't understand how people are suprised by the negative reviews? From the first trailer alone you could tell this movie would be a fun ride .. not a great one. I'll go see this tonight.That's for sure. Because ... it looks fun and I really do not care about ratings.

Don't quite understand DC's need to introduce a shitload of characters in ONE goddamn movie though. Take your time.

Ah yes ... RottenTomatoes <3 Marvel. GTFO ...

You come into a ratings thread to proclaim how you don't care about ratings.

My point is, is that you do care a little bit. They may not influence your decision, but you do care.

milanbaros

Member?
Well, production for Justice League is well underway, Wonder Woman is (almost?) done, IIRC Batman is locked in, so my guess is that if Justice League Pt 2 underperforms, they'll pull the plug. But that's years from now.

Thanks. So they are truly buckled in for this ride.

What do you think they would view as good in terms of BO? I would think they want >$650m ww.

Stayin in the ride until the end

http://i.imgur.com/TM1J3Ww.jpg[img]

Pigs will fly before I see another Chris Hemsworth film that isn't directed by Michael Mann, let alone a Thor movie[/QUOTE]

Man it was heartbreaking when they announced Chris Hemsworth was starring in blackhat. Still ended up loving it though.

I really don't understand how people are suprised by the negative reviews? From the first trailer alone you could tell this movie would be a fun ride .. not a great one. I'll go see this tonight.That's for sure. Because ... it looks fun and I really do not care about ratings.

Don't quite understand DC's need to introduce a shitload of characters in ONE goddamn movie though. Take your time.

Ah yes ... RottenTomatoes <3 Marvel. GTFO ...
Lmao from the first trailer everybody thought edgy joker was gonna shit everything up.

zsynqx

-Avengers 1
-Watchmen
-Man of Steel
-Guardians of the Galaxy
-X-men 2

You Nolanites are devoted though &#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;

Scott Pilgrim is the only one I would put above Nolan's trilogy, but I am a massive Edgar Wright fanboy.

Including Man of Steel and BvS UE in the list is pretty laughable though, at least to me. :p

AHA-Lambda

-Avengers 1
-Watchmen
-Man of Steel
-Guardians of the Galaxy
-X-men 2

You Nolanites are devoted though &#128514;&#128514;&#128514;

Wow, no, just no to like most of those picks

Waldini

Lmao from the first trailer everybody thought edgy joker was gonna shit everything up.

When the first promotional photo "leaked" showing Joker covered in those tattoo's I laughed my ass off. This isn't Joker. Sure, everyone can have his on take on the character and this is Ayer's version.

Still ... it pisses me off to read that he isn't featured heavily in SS :(

sappyday

-Avengers 1
-Watchmen
-Man of Steel
-Guardians of the Galaxy
-X-men 2

Nice one

-Avengers 1
-Watchmen
-Man of Steel
-Guardians of the Galaxy
-X-men 2

Lol, no way. A couple of those picks I would put above certain films in the Nolan trilogy. But as a whole? Only the CA trilogy really comes close.

But trash like BvS? Movies like MoS and Watchmen?

First Avenger? I like that movie and it has nothing on Nolans stuff.

I guess that list is a pretty good indication of how great Nolans stuff was that nothing really has been able to match it.

I came away liking it a lot. It was pretty good, not exceptional, but certainly up there for me in terms of Comic book films.

My favorites before this were: Blade 2, Civil War, GoG, Dark Knight, and honestly BvS:Ultimate Cut (I just dug it what can I say)

The story, after the heavy exposition, is a straight shot to the finish line and rather simple. I don't agree about the pacing being wonky or bad (I like Grace from Beyond the Trailer but her review was bewildering to me) but maybe Ayer hewed to close to comic book structure by toploading it slowly and the going batshit crazy. It didn't detract or confuse me but I read a lot of comic books.

Villain. Yeah. A weak point. There ARE tons of better Suicide Squad foils he could have picked from but it was certainly a spectacle.

Joker - Needed more. Leto is Aces in my book. He shouldn't be compared to Ledger as I think that is unreasonble. Like the comics there are many different incarnations of the man and Leto's is top notch.
Diablo - kicked ass. Won't say more
Boomerang - Up there along Dead Pool. Well done Jai. Funny
Enchantress - Weird but fascinating. Something about that little Brit Cara is transfixing.
Deadshot - I'm back on the Smith train. He committed whole heartedly

The women definitely needed more to do, which is a shame because they are so heavily part of the marketing. Hopefully an extended cut on bluray will rectify

So I dug the heck out of it. It is a fun popcorn flick. It doesn't have the gravitas of something like Civil War but that's an apple and oranges game.

Guardians of the Galaxy is still my favorite comic universe B-side movie but go see it. It is not a waste of time or your money. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom