• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaythe

Is it the director's fault if the studio tells him "now your Man of Steel sequel is going to have batman. Now your movie is going to have Wonder Woman. Now your movie needs to introduce all the other Justice League heroes." Snyder is mostly to blame for length, but the studio doesn't get off scot free here.

But this isn't even fair to say that.

BvS and SS are awful because of the writing and the story telling, before anything else.

Cramming too much into one movie is a "whatever" issue, it can definitely harm your movie but if it's good content it doesn't flat out destroy it.

Cramming too much into a BAD movie on the other hand, is suicidal.

duckroll

Is it the director's fault if the studio tells him "now your Man of Steel sequel is going to have batman. Now your movie is going to have Wonder Woman. Now your movie needs to introduce all the other Justice League heroes." Snyder is mostly to blame for length, but the studio doesn't get off scot free here.

Making the sequel Batman v Superman was Snyder's idea though, not the studio's. He's a HUGE fan of The Dark Knight Returns.

Skux

Oh wow I thought the early reviews were pretty middling, but I had no idea it was 35% bad until I checked back in this thread.

The DCCU is going to be an expensive disaster if DC goes through with it. Can you imagine an entire film franchise without a single good film in it? (see: Underworld)

neorej

ERMYGERD!
It's the director's fault that the cut that makes sense is three fucking hours long though. That's ludicrous. I haven't seen Suicide Squad yet but BvS definitey suffered from the pure amount of stuff Snyder tried to cram into that movie. The desert subplot was completely unncessesary since you already had the events of MoS to hang the central conflict on. Then there's the third act with Doomsday that comes out of nowhere and shouldn't have been there in the first place. If he had focused on one, two or even three things maybe it wouldn't have been such a mess of a movie. Hell, Civil War had a lot of shit going on and they managed it in two and a half hours.

BvS had no business being 3hours long. They should've cut the Dawn of Justice part, and focused on the conflict between Batman and Superman. That could make an interesting 2.5 hours. End the movie with Luthor realizing his plan has failed and he has to resort to his backup plan: "if man won't kill god, the devil will." cut to black. Done. After/mid credits scene; Bruce going over the decrypted Luthor-files, seeing Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg and Wonder Woman.

Altairre

But this isn't even fair to say that.

BvS and SS are awful because of the writing and the story telling, before anything else.

Cramming too much into one movie is a "whatever" issue, it can definitely harm your movie but if it's good content it doesn't flat out destroy it.

Cramming too much into a BAD movie on the other hand, is suicidal.

It's not a "whatever" issue because it affects both writing and story telling. I'm not saying it's impossible to make a good movie with all the shit that's in BvS but it is a lot more difficult to pull off. If you instead focus on one central conflict and flesh that out as much as possible you'll probably get a more coherent movie. Does that guarantee a good movie? Obviously not but it would have at least helped BvS because while the ultimate cut still isn't a good movie, it's definitely better than the nonsensical garbage that is the theatrical cut.

duckroll

BvS had no business being 3hours long. They should've cut the Dawn of Justice part, and focused on the conflict between Batman and Superman. That could make an interesting 2.5 hours. End the movie with Luthor realizing his plan has failed and he has to resort to his backup plan: "if man won't kill god, the devil will." cut to black. Done. After/mid credits scene; Bruce going over the decrypted Luthor-files, seeing Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg and Wonder Woman.

Both MoS and BvS should have ended before their final fights. Snyder just has no self control.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Making the sequel Batman v Superman was Snyder's idea though, not the studio's. He's a HUGE fan of The Dark Knight Returns.

What? I read or heard somewhere that Snyder was working on MoS 2 but the studio wanted BvS, I mean the studio also put up the whole movie slate up to 2019 or so (keeping up with marvel).

Snyder was promised a 3 hour movie by WB executives and then they went back on their decision a bit late, and that forced him to cut 30 minutes, which is a lot mind you. Honestly when i watched the TC i was a bit overwhelmed because the film was messy, but after watching the extended version it became for me one of the best superhero movies ever, even if there are a few misplaced scenes, the film just flows much better.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So a bit shit then. I expect no less from a DC movie.

Fliesen

yeah, this is an AppleTV rental.

i barely find the time to see movies in the cinema. Haven't gotten around to watch ST: Beyond yet, neither the new Bourne ...

Too little time, too much good stuff on Netflix to waste time on seeing (what seems to be) a mediocre movie that my girlfriend's gonna end up hating.

A true shame, but i didn't expect any different.

And people claiming "regular people don't care about RT scores" ... you know what even less people care about? - the fuckin Suicide Squad. People didn't care all that much about Deadpool or GotG before that, but great WoM made those huge hits. With this one, not so much.

It's gonna be ever so slightly profitable, but have no legs at the box office. What a shame. :(

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
And people claiming "regular people don't care about RT scores" ... you know what even less people care about? - the fuckin Suicide Squad. People didn't care all that much about Deadpool or GotG before that, but great WoM made those huge hits. With this one, not so much.

Speaking for myself, after all the word-of-mouth hype for Deadpool I found the movie to be faintly disappointing to be honest. I liked it, but can't say I'm in any rush to see it again.

GotG on the other hand exceeded my expectations.

As to RT... As a cranky old bastard it seems to me that the bar to be considered a "criitic" for the purposes of online aggregation are so low, its barely more educated than IMDB and arguably less relevant due to the smaller sample-sizes.

I'd also add that to me, a hallmark of greatness is often divisiveness, because if noone has a problem with something, its very likely playing it super-safe or is riding the fickle tide of fashion and current populist taste.

In short, I know my own mind and couldn't give too many fucks about what the "consensus" thinks.

guek

Banned
Oh wow I thought the early reviews were pretty middling, but I had no idea it was 35% bad until I checked back in this thread.

The DCCU is going to be an expensive disaster if DC goes through with it. Can you imagine an entire film franchise without a single good film in it? (see: Underworld)

Thankfully for DC, it looks like they're at least making some money off of the DCEU between merchandise and a modest net return from BO/rental/home video. I'm sure the hundreds of millions of dollars in potential revenue that they're missing out on keeps the execs up at night regardless.

It could still be a lot worse. The DCEU isn't a Pan or Ghostbusters level of financial flop.

Care to spoil me what they are teasing? Can't be bad like ASM/ASM2 teaser....right?

it's up on youtube if you want to watch it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYfTaK6QcFw

basically it's:

Waller handing Bruce a file with info about Aquaman, Flash, etc.. and then tells him that he looks tired and he should stop working at night revealing that she knows he's Batman.

I mean we already have a JL trailer so it's not exactly a huge deal.

shingi70

Banned
yeah, this is an AppleTV rental.

i barely find the time to see movies in the cinema. Haven't gotten around to watch ST: Beyond yet, neither the new Bourne ...

Too little time, too much good stuff on Netflix to waste time on seeing (what seems to be) a mediocre movie that my girlfriend's gonna end up hating.

A true shame, but i didn't expect any different.

P
It's gonna be ever so slightly profitable, but have no legs at the box office. What a shame. :(

We actually don't know if it will have legs or not. It could kill in a way bayformers does or just resonate with the general audience.

guek

Banned
it's up on youtube if you want to watch it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYfTaK6QcFw

basically it's:

Waller handing Bruce a file with info about Aquaman, Flash, etc.. and then tells him that he looks tired and he should stop working at night revealing that she knows he's Batman.

I mean we already have a JL trailer so it's not exactly a huge deal.

da fuq. Bruce might as well put "I'M BATMAN" on his business card.

what have reviewers been saying about leto?

He's in it for about 17 seconds

Alpende

Too bad it's getting bad reviews but I'm still gonna watch it anyway. Wonder Woman and Justice League have to do better review wise or WB is gonna be in trouble I guess.

Yager

Banned
Too bad it's getting bad reviews but I'm still gonna watch it anyway. Wonder Woman and Justice League have to do better review wise or WB is gonna be in trouble I guess.

If they keep making money, I don't think they will really care about what the critics say.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Well, Ayer has responded to the critics:

Prefiero morir de pie que vivir de rodillas - Emiliano Zapata
6:29 PM - 2 Aug 2016
3,405 3,405 Retweets 4,700 4,700 likes
Translation: “I’d rather die standing than live on my knees”

Follow
David Ayer ✔ @DavidAyerMovies
Zapata quote is my way of saying I love the movie and believe in it. Made it for the fans. Best experience of my life. ❤️

It's like both him and Snyder have no self-reflection at all.

"I made it for the fans!"

Doesn't matter that it stinks, made it for the fans. The really, really hardcore fans. The kind that goes "FUCK MARVEL" amirite?

TheStrangestpartOfTheLightsaberDuelInRevengeoftheSith-94929.gif
Live Footage of DC's editing room

Oddish1

Doesn't matter that it stinks, made it for the fans. The really, really hardcore fans. The kind that goes "FUCK MARVEL" amirite?

Seems like a fine response to me.

you expect him to say otherwise during release? no filmmaker would do that. never mind "self-reflection" or whatever.

jelly

I'm starting to think one of the reasons the films are a mess is because WB green lights production before they have a good story and script. They just make it up as they go along based on things that sound deep in their heads and wow at boardrooms but their execution is paper thin and nothing more than look how deep this is because they stuff in some mythology which all falls apart because it was nothing more than surface level scene and quote wankery. Then you add in Snyder not knowing what the hell he is doing other than attempting to paint a pretty picture above all else and even then many scenes in BvS look utter shit.

BumRush

Skimming through the thread, I've seen a lot of responses saying "why trust rotten tomatoes, just see it for yourself". When you have kids and can only get to the movies (for non-animated children's films) 4-5 times a year, RT is the best place to ensure your time and money is spent wisely.

I honestly thought this movie would land in the mid 70s given the trailers.

Woo boy, gonna have to pass on this one it seems. Last time I walked into a mid-30's RT movie knowing it was reviewed poorly, it was BvS. And that was awful.

Not gonna waste my money again.

Waldini

I love it that most of the DC Comic fans go absolutely ape-shit on Marvel if a DC movie gets burned to the ground. These sort of petitions to bring back RottenTomatoes because they have negative reviews on almost all DC movies are really something else.

Anyway ... I prefer Marvel movies above DC movies. There's not a single DC movie that comes to mind (besides Nolan's Batman Trilogy) that can top ANY Marvel movie.

Staf

Skimming through the thread, I've seen a lot of responses saying "why trust rotten tomatoes, just see it for yourself". When you have kids and can only get to the movies (for non-animated children's films) 4-5 times a year, RT is the best place to ensure your time and money is spent wisely.

This is the important factor for me and why rottentomatoes is very great. Does a high rottentomatoes score ensure i'm going to see a movie i'll enjoy? No, but it increases the likelihood and therefore reduces the risk of me wasting my time.

I honestly thought this movie would land in the mid 70s given the trailers.

Woo boy, gonna have to pass on this one it seems. Last time I walked into a mid-30's RT movie knowing it was reviewed poorly, it was BvS. And that was awful.

Not gonna waste my money again.
Yup, gonna check it out on Netflix or lend a blu ray if some friend gets it.

I mean I am not a movie snob. I can enjoy movies with a sub 50% RT score every now and then, sometimes tastes differ. But most of the time I can pretty much relate to the rating.

But I'm not gonna waste time on this in the cinema. Maybe if more people do, WB will try and change things up. You can only fool me so many times (this regarding to the "see it yourself" arguments) and MoS and BvS was enough.

Was really looking forward to it though.

Ushay

RT gave Iron Man 2 a 70+% score. That pretty much sums it up for me. Instead I will rely on individual opinions and word of mouth like Jeremy Jahns for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom