• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Batman is in this, so they are already shoehorning him into stuff.

Yeah, I guess so. I can't form an opinion until I see it, but I am really concerned about the Joker and Harley. This film really could have been great if it respected the
abusive
aspect of their relationship. Tiny things that define characters and would create stories for many more films have been ignored for whatever reason.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

200_s.gif

Dance of bro! You and me!

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't know what DC do now. I mean clearly all that matters is money and this may still do well at the box office, but one terribly reviewed film is bad luck but two is starting to look like a pattern. If they need to double down on batman then fine... The animated films and universe has been shoehorning batman in for years and that seems to work.

Well this film (and WW) was a part of the early DC movie slate, they jumped the shark. The only thing I can imagine for WB to do is stop doing whatever they did with/after Man of Steel and slow down, focus on one movie at a time.

Thor 2 actually has some stunning visual design and great character moments for both him and Loki. It's only let down by the fact Darcy doesn't get enough screen time as she should.

Nev

Banned
I really don't know what DC do now. I mean clearly all that matters is money and this may still do well at the box office, but one terribly reviewed film is bad luck but two is starting to look like a pattern. If they need to double down on batman then fine... The animated films and universe has been shoehorning batman in for years and that seems to work.

They don't have to do anything, Suicide Squad will be a financial success and most people will enjoy it despite what RT garbo have to say, and so will be Justice League and Wonder Woman. Things like IMBD or Filmaffinity exist, by the way, and they're much more extempt of absurd hyperbole unlike that other click-bait site people seem to worship here.

BvS did 900m$ and a lot of people liked it despite being one of the worst films ever if we take the 27% score seriously.

Get over it, RT and the hyperbolic critics won't change anything.

Is that seriously a thing? People have stakes in this movies and can't just accept if a movie is good or bad? That's pretty pathetic.

The best thing is they're taking out their frustrations on a website which does nothing but aggregate scores. What a bunch of geniuses.

What bugs me most about Batman's casual killing in BvS is that it's not clearly explained why this is happening. Is it a symptom of age and being in the game too long? Is it an after effect of Joker killing Robin? Is it because Superman's presence humbled him (in a bad way)? It's a little all of the above, but the cause is too muddled imo and the effect is never really addressed in any real way; this Batman just kills people, for some reason, and never really reflects on it.

Yeah I think even just a single minute to address the issue would have helped the character greatly.

Still there's massive potential there for a great batman. Particularly in that metropolis scene in the opening. Wasn't in the suit but he was extremely heroic. And I also really liked the Gotham intro too, shit was appropriately grimy and had a nice horror tone

duckroll

Transformers - 57% Rotten
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - 19% Rotten
Transformers: Dark of the Moon - 35% Rotten
Transformers: Age of Extinction - 18% Rotten

Still to come from the Transformers Cinematic Universe:
Transformers: The Last Knight
Transformers: Bumblebee's Final Stand
Transformers: Sixth Bay Avenue
Transformers: The Search of Infinite Yuan

DC doesn't have to do anything. They just have to believe in themselves like Michael Bay and Paramount does.

Astral Dog

Not really, plenty of the newest Batman animated films have been mediocre at best
And their budget seems to be going down

Xater

Still there's massive potential there for a great batman. Particularly in that metropolis scene in the opening. Wasn't in the suit but he was extremely heroic. And I also really liked the Gotham intro too, shit was appropriately grimy and had a nice horror tone

I have high hopes for Batman. Affleck is a great director and even more important writer. Him having reigns over both parts gives me hope.

They don't have to do anything, Suicide Squad will be a financial success and most people will enjoy it despite what RT garbo have to say, and so will be Justice League and Wonder Woman. Things like IMBD or Filmaffinity exist, by the way, and they're much more extent of absurd hyperbole unlike that other click-bait site people seem to worship here.

BvS did 900m$ and a lot of people liked it despite being one of the worst films ever if we take the 27% score seriously.

Get over it, RT and the hyperbolic critics won't change anything.

Look, I like BvS a lot, but taking my girl friend to see both that and civil war, DC definitely have a problem appealing to people that aren't fans already. 900M isn't a bomb, and SS probably wont bomb either... But the point is, how many misses can DC take before people just give up on hyping them?

Dead

well not really...yet
One of these days I'll make my "The First Avenger is the best MCU movie" magnum sized thread

One of these years....right after my "All the reasons Iron Man 2 is better than Iron Man" thread
It's one of the few MCU movies to stick the landing with achieving an actual comic book aesthetic, and Hugo Weaving's Red Skull is one of the few (only?) MCU villains to have any presence whatsoever.

CrayToes

I wish more reviews directly compared DC movies to Marvel. It riles people up beyond belief. Comparing SS to GotG is perfectly legitimate.

duckroll

27% means 27% of critics liked it. If we extrapolate that to the total audience, 900 million with an average of say 10 dollars per ticket, suggests 90 million viewings. For the sake of the discussion we'll assume those are all unique viewings. That's 24 million people who would have liked it!

zoukka

Can someone explain to me, how Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic became so important these in the last 12 months?

People like to have validation on their opinions.

Because generally its the best way to judge the quality of a movie.

Generally the best way to judge quality is to witness it yourself and then decide for yourself.

Both Tomatoes and Metacritic are full of bad movies with good scores and good movies with bad scores.

skyhaven

Neo Member
This movie's screwed because it's made with a PG13 script with ill-suited characters.
I'm kinda confused why DC doesn't seem to dare to take their IP off that PG13 mindset and sell it for more mature audiences.

Taika Waititi's Thor Ragnarok vs Snyder's Justice League.

Who you got?

Thor, duh.

Justice League by a landslide. It would have to be worse than sucker punch for a thor movie to beat it for me.

Dat Karl Urban and Cate Blanchett tho. Wonder what they do with them.

Aiii

So not worth it
Can someone explain to me, how Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic became so important these in the last 12 months?

Because movie ticket prices, especially in 3D, are high enough now to need justification before spending.

And to be perfectly honest, extremely low ratings are pretty accurate. While one can debate about middle-of-the-road movies that score around 50% depending on tastes, universally panned movies are very rarely not actually bad.

I've actually never finished Thor 2, everytime I sit down to watch it on the movie channel my body just ups and leaves or Im on my phone the whole time.

To this day all I know is that there is some Space Elf, and that's it. Movie has this magically ability to turn off my attention. I should really watch it properly some day. Nah.

Most likely seeing Suicide Squad come this thursday.

The_Kid

Are you serious?

Rotten Tomatoes is great for looking at a movie and generally seeing if it's going to be a dud or not (if the reviews are overwhelmingly negative).

If they're on either end of the spectrum you can probably figure out whether it'll be worth the money. In the middle is the tricky thing.

Dead

well not really...yet
Taika Waititi's Thor Ragnarok vs Snyder's Justice League.

Who you got?

Thor, duh.
Stayin in the ride until the end

TM1J3Ww.jpg

Pigs will fly before I see another Chris Hemsworth film that isn't directed by Michael Mann, let alone a Thor movie

duckroll

Because movie ticket prices, especially in 3D, are high enough now to need justification before spending.

I don't even think this is true. Tbh, almost no one I know outside of the internet talks about RT scores or anything like that. I don't think movie going experiences have changed much. The majority of people who go to 3D movie screenings are just people doing it socially. My perception is that the more a person cares about RT scores or whatever, the more likely the person is someone who books IMAX 3D tickets a month in advance and wants to feel as hyped as possible before going into a film. :p

Waldini

I really don't understand how people are suprised by the negative reviews? From the first trailer alone you could tell this movie would be a fun ride .. not a great one. I'll go see this tonight.That's for sure. Because ... it looks fun and I really do not care about ratings.

Don't quite understand DC's need to introduce a shitload of characters in ONE goddamn movie though. Take your time.

Ah yes ... RottenTomatoes <3 Marvel. GTFO ...

ramparter

Banned
For some reason I never understood, most people expected this to be great. Every time a new trailer released, people got even more hyped and I was like "wtf this has mediocrity written all over it". I'm glad I was right. Still watching it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Can someone explain to me, how Rotten tomatos and Metacrtic became so important these in the last 12 months?

We're getting a more steady stream of comic book films so overzealous fans use the scores to validate their own opinions or invalidate the opinions of others. It's either:

Look! This movie is great! It has a 90% on RT

Or

Fuck critics! I enjoyed it.

I would say that social media played a part in their growing importance. Movie studios started using their RT score in promotion material as well. I literally just saw a commercial for Star Trek Beyond that had the RT score on it. Not the first time I've seen that either.

It's the modern equivalent of cherry picking random quotes from critics to include in the "Now in theaters" commercials.

I mean...you don't gotta explain yourself if you enjoyed a movie with a low RT score. Other people enjoyed it. Batman vs Superman having a 27% or whatever doesn't make it a 2.7 out of 10 movie. Just that only 27% of critics had a favorable opinion of it. But people can't get that through their skulls. We do this same song and dance over and over again. I don't know why crazy fans get so worked up about it. Probably because they have some strong emotional attachment to all of this and they're perceiving bad critical reception as the world collectively saying they have bad taste.

For some reason I never understood, most people expected this to be great. Every time a new trailer released, people got even more hyped and I was like "wtf this has mediocrity written all over it". I'm glad I was right. Still watching it.
The trailer is actually still great to me. I felt noting for JL teaser and Wonder Woman trailer but SS have me hyped. =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom