• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Comic book movies better than Nolan's trilogy:

• Captain America: First Avenger
  • Captain America: Winter Soldier
  • Captain America: Civil War
  • Avengers 1
  • Watchmen
  • Man of Steel
  • Batman V. Superman Ultimate Edition with 30 extra minutes that fixed everything
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World starring Chris Evans as Ex Boyfriend Lucas Lee
  • X-Men 2
  • X-Men: Days of Future Past
  • Spider-Man 2 (you forgot this)

You Nolanites are devoted though ������
FTFY

I can understand not being fond of The Dark Knight Rises, but the first 2 were pretty on-point to the point where few comic book movies can keep up.

Neoxon

Rumored so far. But given we know nothing about the next game from Arkham Origins developer except teases that it's an open world, I think it's coming alright.
If I had to guess, said Suicide Squad game would have to be set before the Assault on Arkham animated movie (which is canon to the Arkham games, by the way). While AoA did take place 2 years before Arkham Asylum, there's still the likes of Deathstroke who were unaccounted for in the animated movie but were teased as being recruited for the Suicide Squad in Arkham Origins.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
lrAxIjn.png

lol Youtube comments

Critics, just pretend the next DC is awesome cus these DC fans can't take 4 poorly reviewed movies back to back. Ya'll gonna kill these poor people.

spekkeh

Banned
Can someone explain to me, how Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic became so important in the last 12 months?
???

Rottentomatoes has been 'important' for at least ten years, and has been one of my go to sites for nigh on fifteen. They used to have comment possibilities, but took it out when fanboys started harassing the individual reviewers, I think around the Dark Knight era.

It's become more prevalent due to IMDb's very slow decay into shit, now being more of an advertorial for astroturfing production companies. At least there's still some modicum of authority with the top critics.

milanbaros

Member?
???

Rottentomatoes has been 'important' for at least ten years, and has been one of my go to sites for nigh on fifteen. They used to have comment possibilities, but took it out when fanboys started harassing the individual reviewers, I think around the Dark Knight era.

It's become more prevalent due to IMDb's very slow decay into shit, now being more of an advertorial for astroturfing production companies. At least there's still some modicum of authority with the top critics.

I agree on imdb turning to shit.

Rottentomotoes is a really useful site if you understand what the actual % scores represent. Too many people confuse the score to that of an individual review ignoring that a film universally viewed as a 6/10 can get 100%.

cakefoo

lrAxIjn.png

lol Youtube comments

Critics, just pretend the next DC is awesome cus these DC fans can't take 4 poorly reviewed movies back to back. Ya'll gonna kill these poor people.
Ah yes, good old IMDB. The site where 18-29 year old boys go to pummel their sci-fi/comic book superhero movies with 10 star ratings.

spekkeh

Banned
Rottentomotoes is a really useful site if you understand what the actual % scores represent. Too many people confuse the score to that of an individual review ignoring that a film universally viewed as a 6/10 can get 100%.
Yes, that too. Suicide Squad scoring 27% doesn't mean the movie is unwatchable, it means that only 27% was decidedly positive about it. The rest could be anything from 'great but only if you're into these kinds of films', to 'crock of horse shit'.

Hjod

Banned
Well, I'm going to see it with some friends later tonight, at least I'm going in with very low expectations.

Yes, that too. Suicide Squad scoring 27% doesn't mean the movie is unwatchable, it means that only 27% was decidedly positive about it. The rest could be anything from 'great but only for the fans', to 'crock of horse shit'.

Wait, it's down to 27%? Haha, ok my expectations is even lower now.

AMUSIX

Wait, we still have people in here going "RT scores mean nothing!"? BvS is a 27%...Suicide Squad is currently at 35%, yet people are claiming that the movies don't deserve to be there.

If the RT system didn't work, then we should expect quite a few good movies to show up around 30%...or is it only the DC movies that the RT system gets wrong?

I don't know...these are recent movies that got around the scores of BvS and Suicide Squad. I'm not seeing much good here.

Vacation
Poltergeist
Entourage
Max
Warcraft
Alice: Through the Looking Glass
Now You See Me 2
Chappie
Momentum
Independence Day: Resurgence
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2
Pan

shira

Captain America: Winter Soldier
•Captain America: Civil War
•Guardians of the Galaxy
•Spider-Man 2 (you forgot this)

FTFY

I can understand not being fond of The Dark Knight Rises, but the first 2 were pretty on-point to the point where few comic book movies can keep up.

Yeah this is morelike GAF taste.

Oersted

Rotten has its issues, with lacking many review outlets and being really wonky with non-english films. Also safe movies tend to be overrated on it because they make nothing particularly wrong( also great), which is enough for scores north from 80%.

IMDB is just horseshit for reviews.

Jamie OD

Not suggesting I want another hacking scandal but I would love to have seen the back and forth between producers during the movie's production.

guek

Banned
Wait, we still have people in here going "RT scores mean nothing!"? BvS is a 27%...Suicide Squad is currently at 35%, yet people are claiming that the movies don't deserve to be there.

If the RT system didn't work, then we should expect quite a few good movies to show up around 30%...or is it only the DC movies that the RT system gets wrong?

I don't know...these are recent movies that got around the scores of BvS and Suicide Squad. I'm not seeing much good here.

Vacation
Poltergeist
Entourage
Max
Warcraft
Now You See Me 2
Chappie
Momentum
Pan

good point

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Chris Stuckmanns Review

I have no idea why this movie has also bad editing and that you get the feeling that scenes were just cut out (similar to BvS). WB what are you doing?

I talked earlier about how I rarely notice editing because most movies have decent enough editing where it's never a problem but the biggest issue with BvS was the editing. The first 40 or so minutes felt like random scenes thrown together and even ways into the movie, you'd still get really weird editing decisions and it now seems like Suicide Squad has the exact same issue.

I really don't understand what is happening over there.

Guess we gotta wait until the director's cut of SS.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I talked earlier about how I rarely notice editing because most movies have decent enough editing where it's never a problem but the biggest issue with BvS was the editing. The first 40 or so minutes felt like random scenes thrown together and even ways into the movie, you'd still get really weird editing decisions and it now seems like Suicide Squad has the exact same issue.

I really don't understand what is happening over there.

Guess we gotta wait until the director's cut of SS.

This is becoming a trend. Unfortunatly.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Don't act like WB has fault in this one. The only fault I would give them that they haven't intervened. This seems like it's purely on Ayer.

So it's coincidence that both BvS and Suicide Squad suffer from bad editing?

WB told Snyder to cut the movie down to 2 1/2 hour instead of a having another 3 hour long film, you can see the result in the theatrical cut. I'm not saying that Suicide Squad was supposed to be 3 hour long or sth. just that WB most likely had something to do as this can't be just a coincidence.

WB told Snyder to cut the movie down to 2 1/2 hour instead of a having another 3 hour long film, you can see the result in the theatrical cut.

Both seem to have bad editting for different reasons.

milanbaros

Member?

Vacation
Poltergeist
Entourage
Max
Warcraft
Now You See Me 2
Chappie
Momentum
Pan

True. I almost always dislike rotten films on RT. However, it can get a bit wonky if you start looking for films you will find great only in the 80%+ category for example. You wont find bad films in that range but many are merely ok, if that makes sense.

Altairre

WB told Snyder to cut the movie down to 2 1/2 hour instead of a having another 3 hour long film, you can see the result in the theatrical cut. I'm not saying that Suicide Squad was supposed to be 3 hour long or sth. just that WB most likely had something to do as this can't be just a coincidence.

It's the director's fault that the cut that makes sense is three fucking hours long though. That's ludicrous. I haven't seen Suicide Squad yet but BvS definitey suffered from the pure amount of stuff Snyder tried to cram into that movie. The desert subplot was completely unncessesary since you already had the events of MoS to hang the central conflict on. Then there's the third act with Doomsday that comes out of nowhere and shouldn't have been there in the first place. If he had focused on one, two or even three things maybe it wouldn't have been such a mess of a movie. Hell, Civil War had a lot of shit going on and they managed it in two and a half hours.

Alienfan

What a shame, still can't wait to see it - the trailers looked so promising, that I can't imagine it being bad; but yeah WB aren't doing a very good job with the DC licence post Nolan.

Also can someone explain to me the Thor 2 thing :p

Vacation
Poltergeist
Entourage
Max
Warcraft
Now You See Me 2
Chappie
Momentum
Pan

I really loved Chappie. The others, not so much.

I tend to trust RT score as IMDb is prone to troll machination and other low-life behavior. You cannot troll critics consensus, thus RT is superior and has always been. IMDb is awesome for getting information of the said movie, nothing else.

the dance battle was the best on screen performance of a hero defeating the villain

I Dare you to find a better scene

awful conclusion to a mediocre movie.

I really loved Chappie. The others, not so much.

I tend to trust RT score as IMDb is prone to troll machination and other low-life behavior. You cannot troll critics consensus, thus RT is superior and has always been. IMDb is awesome for getting information of the said movie, nothing else.

Chappie was cringe.movie

BigDug13

It's the director's fault that the cut that makes sense is three fucking hours long though. That's ludicrous. I haven't seen Suicide Squad yet but BvS definitey suffered from the pure amount of stuff Snyder tried to cram into that movie. The desert subplot was completely unncessesary since you already had the events of MoS to hang the central conflict on. Then there's the third act with Doomsday that comes out of nowhere and shouldn't have been there in the first place. If he had focused on one, two or even three things maybe it wouldn't have been such a mess of a movie. Hell, Civil War had a lot of shit going on and they managed it in two and a half hours.

Is it the director's fault if the studio tells him "now your Man of Steel sequel is going to have batman. Now your movie is going to have Wonder Woman. Now your movie needs to introduce all the other Justice League heroes." Snyder is mostly to blame for length, but the studio doesn't get off scot free here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom