• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Thor 2 is ok, please redirect your anger to the real bad Marvel movie:

large_zJ2eK7fehqFSQ2w5JlQIF0OJP9q.jpg

This movie is... I hesitate to call it bad, because there are some really good things about it, but it's really sloppy. Any time the villain has to call the hero on the phone out of nowhere to tell him it's time for the movie's climax, your script has problems.

Well we'll find a spot for DC/wb somewhere down the list

There really is no list. At the end of the day Marvel has no competition. I thought maybe Wonder Woman could bring the heat but at this point I think I'll have to accept the possibility of a Captain Marvel movie making more money and reviewing well. You know how ridiculous that sounds?

guek

Banned
There really is no list. At the end of the day Marvel has no competition. I thought maybe Wonder Woman could bring the heat but at this point I think I'll have to accept the possibly of a Captain Marvel movie making more money and reviewing well. You know how ridiculous that sounds?

slayvn just turned over in his grave

There really is no list. At the end of the day Marvel has no competition. I thought maybe Wonder Woman could bring the heat but at this point I think I'll have to accept the possibility of a Captain Marvel movie making more money and reviewing well. You know how ridiculous that sounds?
Not more ridiculous than fucking Iron Man (throw Cap in there as well) becoming a bigger draw than Batman and Superman in a movie together. It's the new normal I guess.

MrChom

One of these days I'll make my "The First Avenger is the best MCU movie" magnum sized thread

One of these years....right after my "All the reasons Iron Man 2 is better than Iron Man" thread

The first Cap is definitely up there in terms of quality, and over time I've come to love IM2 far more than the original (which doesn't hold up to repeat viewing nearly as well).

Watched Fantastic Four because reviews were comparing SS to it.

I was enjoying it until 1 year later popped on the screen. Suddenly I was watching the back end of a second act that didn't exist followed by a 3rd act that was a 5 minute fight against Doom with like 3 minutes of wrap up. What a cluster fuck.

BumRush

I'm aware it's an unpopular opinion but it's truly what I feel. I could give all the reasons the Marvel movies are mostly terrible and BvS was more entertaining but I doubt anyone here wants to read that

I'm interested in hearing the reasons. I actually enjoyed certain things about BvS, but didn't think it held a candle to Civil War (for example). I'm down to hear your thoughts.

I was enjoying it until 1 year later popped on the screen. Suddenly I was watching the back end of a second act that didn't exist followed by a 3rd act that was a 5 minute fight against Doom with like 3 minutes of wrap up. What a cluster fuck.

Welcome to BvS and SS country. It's a mess.

Blader

Lmao, is this poster real? What's with Black Widow's humongous tits.

True to the comics.

RT gave Iron Man 2 a 70+% score. That pretty much sums it up for me. Instead I will rely on individual opinions and word of mouth like Jeremy Jahns for example.

These threads seriously need a Rottentomatoes tutorial.

RT does not give out scores. It aggregates scores from dozens/hundreds of reviewers. And a 70% does not mean Iron Man 2 scored a 7 out of 10. It means 7 out of 10 people liked the movie more than they disliked it. They could have liked it on a 10/10 level or on a 6/10 level; either score is cataloged into the RT percentage all the same. Given that the average rating of all those reviewers (which is actually the number you want me to getting yourself in knots about) is just a 6.5/10, I'm going to assume that most of the critics who did review the movie relatively positively did so closer to the 6/10 end of the spectrum than the 10/10.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I'm aware it's an unpopular opinion but it's truly what I feel. I could give all the reasons the Marvel movies are mostly terrible and BvS was more entertaining but I doubt anyone here wants to read that
After having a pretty shitty last four days, I would love to have some genuine good feels bro. Please indulge me.

Oersted

True to the comics.

These threads seriously need a Rottentomatoes tutorial.

RT does not give out scores. It aggregates scores from dozens/hundreds of reviewers. And a 70% does not mean Iron Man 2 scored a 7 out of 10. It means 7 out of 10 people liked the movie more than they disliked it. They could have liked it on a 10/10 level or on a 6/10 level; either score is cataloged into the RT percentage all the same. Given that the average rating of all those reviewers (which is actually the number you want me to getting yourself in knots about) is just a 6.5/10, I'm going to assume that most of the critics who did review the movie relatively positively did so closer to the 6/10 end of the spectrum than the 10/10.

Close to noone looks at the rating. It is not what the site itself advertises.

I weirdly enjoyed the start of Fantastic Four for it's body horror stuff but it's a damn mess in almost every regard. I'm actually more interested in seeing Suicide Squad now that these reviews are out especially if the editing is as sloppy as seems to be reported.

andthebeatgoeson

I've actually never finished Thor 2, everytime I sit down to watch it on the movie channel my body just ups and leaves or Im on my phone the whole time.

To this day all I know is that there is some Space Elf, and that's it. Movie has this magically ability to turn off my attention. I should really watch it properly some day. Nah.

Most likely seeing Suicide Squad come this thursday.
I'm the same way. Some dark landscape and maybe a chase, Taylor Swift's boyfriend and something. I can't remember it nor stay attentive.

Rottentomotoes is a really useful site if you understand what the actual % scores represent. Too many people confuse the score to that of an individual review ignoring that a film universally viewed as a 6/10 can get 100%.

Case in point:

I'm surprised that people still misunderstand how RT works. 90% freshness doesn't mean it's being regarded as a 9/10 film, only that 9/10 critics liked it enough to give it a positive review, which can be anything between 6/10 and 10/10. If you want to know how good critics think it is, you need to look at the average score. For example, have a look at Unforgiven:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1041911-unforgiven/

We all know Unforgiven is a damn fine film, so the 95% seems justified.

Here's the RT score for its Japanese remake:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/yurusarezaru_mono/

Holy shit, it's has 100% freshness, that means its even better than the original, right? Well, not so fast. The original has a average score of 8.7/10, while the remake has a 6.5/10. Makes a difference, doesn't it? So the japanese movie was good enough that everyone gave it a favorable review, but at the same time the general impression was still lukewarm, while the original has some negative reviews, but in general people thought it was outstanding. I know the sample of scores for the remake is really low, but i just wanted to use this extreme example to make my point.

boiled goose

good with gravy
33 percent? Ouch.

smfh.

A film can't spoil it's self. Numerous films open with flash forwards, it's a narrative device.

Completely unnecessary flash forward. Didn't add anything.

LOL, seriously? Showing that he shows up in the present is a Spoiler?
Spoiler: Bruce Waynes Parents are about to die as soon as they come out of a cinema/theatre!

Most people were not aware of caps history.

The Batman scenario doesn't really apply. It's not a flash forward spoiling the ending.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Yep, Fantastic Four goes off the rails and becomes tremendously lazy right there. An origin movie that has multiple time skips. It just glazes over them actually discovering their powers. Doom shows up so late in the movie and it races to wrap things up as quickly as possible. And that final scene. Woof. The first act does have some cool moments though.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Because Scarlett does have huge breasts?

They ain't that big.

The entirety of Fantastic Four feels like a trailer for a movie that doesn't happen. The first 20 minutes are okay but it just shits the bed from there on.

Blader

Completely unnecessary flash forward. Didn't add anything.

I think the ending of him waking up the present would feel way too jarring without that prologue scene, though. Otherwise you go from 99% in the 40s to suddenly jumping to the present, whereas with that opening scene you've set up a modern bookends and also introduced the whole freezing idea in the back of people's minds.

No, the trailers were pretty good.

honestly nope

I've been saying from the start, but every trailer after the first looked like a bunch of cluttered mayhem and cgi destruction nonsense, couldn't make out whatever story the movie was supposed to have

even the bohemian rhapsody one was pretty lame, I mean, who puts that song for a movie trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom