• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
It's got a 46 on Metacritic. Not exactly disastrous so I'll still go and watch it. But if it's anywhere near as bad as Bull vs Shit then it will be hard to keep bothering with the DC universe.

tomtom94

RT gave Iron Man 2 a 70+% score. That pretty much sums it up for me. Instead I will rely on individual opinions and word of mouth like Jeremy Jahns for example.

All RT does it collect the individual opinions and assigns them a "yes or no".

I mean bully for you if you prefer to find a critic whose opinions you tend to agree with (I tend to trust Mark Kermode) but don't act like Rotten Tomatoes is some monolith.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
RT gave Iron Man 2 a 70+% score. That pretty much sums it up for me. Instead I will rely on individual opinions and word of mouth like Jeremy Jahns for example.

Congratulations for not knowing what you are talking about.

Thor 2 is ok, please redirect your anger to the real bad Marvel movie:

large_zJ2eK7fehqFSQ2w5JlQIF0OJP9q.jpg

Best Iron Man movie for me.

The fucking drone fight! Justin fucking Hammer!

Looking at other RT superhero scores though, I feel the scores are mostly on point. At least for me. Sure some I wouldn't agree with, but percentage wise I feel RT is a good indicator most of the times if it's a turd or not.

kurahador

Why Jeremy Jahns only though? There's Chris Suckerman, Grace Randolph, Angry Joe, IGN reviewer, hell...even Gaf posters in the OT.

tomtom94

Average rating for Suicide Squad currently at 5.3/10.

I wonder if that's the few good reviews (which seem to really love the film) pulling it up from the 2-star ones.

Waldini

I truly believe WB fucked with Ayer. The man had a hit with Fury. What happened?

Doesn't matter how many times you polish a turd (script) ... it'll always be a turd.

I just noticed David Ayer is the only one who wrote the script? No revisions? No "noted" script writing name on there? ... *sigh* That's ballsy. This might be a serious case of way too many characters in one movie. Pretty hard introducing characters in such little time.

DC. Take note. Introduce your characters first. Make team-up movie later. Goddamn. Killing off the DC-Universe one movie a a time.

Caode

Why Jeremy Jahns only though? There's Chris Suckerman, Grace Randolph, Angry Joe, IGN reviewer, hell...even Gaf posters in the OT.

I just seen Grace's tweets regarding it, she fucking hated it which I wasn't expecting after her somewhat.. er.. staunch (bizarre), to say the least, defense of Batman v Superman. I'm going to watch her review now.

guek

Banned
Best Iron Man movie for me.

The fucking drone fight! Justin fucking Hammer!

There are a lot of good parts to IM2 but the plot itself is pretty bad. That movie got by on RDJ and would have been a disaster if the leading man had any less charisma

BumRush

This is the important factor for me and why rottentomatoes is very great. Does a high rottentomatoes score ensure i'm going to see a movie i'll enjoy? No, but it increases the likelihood and therefore reduces the risk of me wasting my time.

Exactly. I've still seen some duds and avoided some films I've enjoyed on blu ray, but in general RT gets it right.

There are a lot of good parts to IM2 but the plot itself is pretty bad. That movie got by on RDJ and would have been a disaster if the leading man had any less charisma

Which begs the question, is Marvel screwed when RDJ (and Chris Evans) leave? To me RDJ is to Ironman and Evans is to Cap as Bale is to Batman. Very hard to replace, I'm sure the suits are thinking about contingency plans though.

Waldini

Which begs the question, is Marvel screwed when RDJ (and Chris Evans) leave? To me RDJ is to Ironman and Evans is to Cap as Bale is to Batman. Very hard to replace, I'm sure the suits are thinking about contingency plans though.

They'll get replaced eventually. Or, if they are smart ... introduce other characters? Example; Miles Morales can take over Spider-Man if needed. Bucky can become Captain America. Warmachine can be Iron Man. That way, viewers still recognize the characters.

You'd still have the same characters played by someone else. All a matter of how it's executed.

Iron Man was great. IM2 was OK, the ending kinda screwed up the movie. IM3 was fine. I had to get used to the fact that Tony was out of his suit so often ... actually showed the man himself instead of the man he is supposed to be.

Again, this is DC's greatest FAULT. The only character who got a new introduction was Superman. Man of Steel isn't a bad movie ... but it isnt great either. I liked it, sure ... but my ears and eyes needed to recover after that relentless destruction.

guek

Banned
This is the important factor for me and why rottentomatoes is very great. Does a high rottentomatoes score ensure i'm going to see a movie i'll enjoy? No, but it increases the likelihood and therefore reduces the risk of me wasting my time.

Exactly. I've still seen some duds and avoided some films I've enjoyed on blu ray, but in general RT gets it right.

Filthy casuals, the lot of you

6MP1h321HItTa.gif

Jobbs

Banned
The 36% RT makes me want to see it more, because RT critics award high scores to terrible crap like Civil War and Avengers and Ant Man and lower scores to more entertaining movies like BvS

Kinda want to go see it this weekend now

Considering how they are still pretty much nailing all the other heroes with the right actors, I think they will be fine. Pratt, Holland, Cumberbatch, Boseman. The last three will show how much of a draw they can be when their first standalone movies hit. I think Tom Holland could be huge. Spidey could become the new draw for future Avenger movies to replace Cap and IM.

The 36% RT makes me want to see it more, because RT critics award high scores to terrible crap like Civil War and Avengers and Ant Man and lower scores to more entertaining movies like BvS

Kinda want to go see it this weekend now
You probably wanted to post this on the dccu sub reddit.

jelly

I always wondered what they'll do, even when they get too old or the story goes somewhere completely different after Infinity War or whatever it's called. Do they reset the Universe ?

Also, it makes WB chasing Avengers even more stupid because they could be making solo films, building up the base and still have big tent pole group films and cross overs ready to go when Marvel are somewhat spent.

I always wondered what they'll do, even when they get too old or the story goes somewhere completely different after Infinity War or whatever it's called. Do they reset the Universe ?

Also, it makes WB chasing Avengers even more stupid because they could be making solo films, building up the base and still have big tent pole group films and cross overs ready to go when Marvel are somewhat spent.

Marvel will never be spent. There gonna pass the mantle down to the next generation. It's the only logical step for them.

Jobbs

Banned
Considering how they are still pretty much nailing all the other heroes with the right actors, I think they will be fine. Pratt, Holland, Cumberbatch, Boseman. The last three will show how much of a draw they can be when their first standalone movies hit. I think Tom Holland could be huge. Spidey could become the new draw for future Avenger movies to replace Cap and IM.

You probably wanted to post this on the dccu sub reddit.

I'm aware it's an unpopular opinion but it's truly what I feel. I could give all the reasons the Marvel movies are mostly terrible and BvS was more entertaining but I doubt anyone here wants to read that

Litan

Boseman's Panther, Larson's Cap Marvel, Holland's spidey, Rudd's Antman, Cumberbatch's Strange, maybe Bucky Cap, plus whoever is introduced post IW.

guek

Banned
I'm aware it's an unpopular opinion but it's truly what I feel. I could give all the reasons the Marvel movies are mostly terrible and BvS was more entertaining but I doubt anyone here wants to read that

Hey you do you, man. Live and let live.

Zakalwe

Banned

Affleck > Bale.

Hopefully he gets a better film to showcase it. There's no denying (the first two) Nolan films are brilliant.

Downhome

Now I wish they would release a shorter, alternate, cut of the film consisting of just the scenes featuring Harley. Mmmmmmm...

This shit looked like a disaster from the get go

But it didn't. Check the teaser trailer thread for this and BvS.

BvS was a disaster from the first 30 sec teaser and people were calling it in the very first thread (except oogling @ Batfleck). SS was hype from the very first 30 sec teaser and people were cheering it in the very first thread (except pissing @ Jared's Joker). I was super hyped for SS!

It seems both movies are garbage in reality but SS had... better marketing?

Oh well... when is Deadpool 2/ Guardians of the Galaxy 2 coming out? They won't disappoint.

Harmen

Nah, Disney seems to be pretty great at introducing well-casted new characters that can carry their films. I think both Starlord and Spidey have a lot of mass appeal, for example. And Cumberbach as an actor has a lot of potential as well. Furthermore, I have good hopes for Black Panther in terms of mass appeal.

Furthermore, no Bale is the least of the problems DC/WB has now. Batfleck is about the only consistently well convieved aspect of BvS.

Apathy

Damn I was hoping for it to be good.

I guess DC is going to DC. Marvel/Disney is the big screen kings, DC is destined to be number two forever. Now you gotta winner how bad justice league will be, yikes.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?

They'll just retire those characters for a while before passing the mantle. Meanwhile they've got Spider-Man to play with alongside an entire universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom