• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

3N16MA

Banned
wait why do people think strange is going to tank? That movie looks amazing. Hell i'llw atch it twice, once normally and one high as fuck.

MCU films don't tank.

Ant-Man did not tank even with Edgar Wright leaving. The character had little to no name recognition with the general public.

It has some of the best legs at the BO of any MCU film. Grossed 100M in China and earned itself a sequel.

I think there is some sentiment that Marvel's luck has to run out at some point.

Some of It ran out with thor 2 breh.

The breakdowns here will be glorious.
sass2.png

3N16MA

Banned
Something seriously has to go wrong at Marvel for one of their films to get hit this hard. Maybe they miss the mark with a future film but I doubt it goes this low.

Maybe when this run is over and someone new takes over and starts fucking things up.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The best thing about Marvel, which I'm sure DC/WB wishes they could do, is bring in completely obscure characters and have a hit.

With how things are going, DCU will never be able to bring in an Ant-Man or Guardians and have them lead a movie. The closet thing is Cyborg but they're hoping people like him enough in JL that they'll wanna watch his solo movie.

I think there is some sentiment that Marvel's luck has to run out at some point.
Took a long time for the Pixar luck to run out, only to be reenergized right after. We are 8 years into the MCU. They are pretty safe, just like Pixar was. This is not a statement on the quality of the films, but their financial success. Even with some missteps, they still pull in money.

maybe captain marvel

but by virtue of being their first female solo movie, they gonna ensure its top-notch

by golly, we have to thank Feige so much. Dude is a fucking blessing to the world of comic books

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I'm not sure what you're saying?
Very often when Wonder Woman is discussed here, people are saying, yeah, Wonder Woman is iconic, she is a big symbol for feminism, her movie will be fine. Thats the case for America, where superheros have a bigger history in popculture. Not for the big majority outside of america. Pretty sure people are now aware of her because of BvS here too, but still, I am pretty sure she wouldnt be recognized when people just see her symbol or her costum.

American Users on NeoGAF have in my opinion sometimes really big issues in putting their point of view in relation it the rest of the world and I have a lot of times the feeling they think that how things are seen in america, they are worldwide, and thats very often annoying.
And thats now not directly aimed at you, just a general observation.

Thats going right into another thing, I have very often the feeling that when I read the discussions of BoxOfficeGAF, that people think movies are only successfull if they make all their money in america. It may be the most important market, but the rest of the world has at least the same importance.

Pretty sure the movie will be fine, I really hope so, but its not going to sell itself because its named Wonder Woman.

At any rate regardless, proper marketing, good reviews and word of mouth goes a long way.

True. And its needed outside of America.

duckroll

Took a long time for the Pixar luck to run out, only to be reenergized right after. We are 8 years into the MCU. They are pretty safe, just like Pixar was. This is not a statement on the quality of the films, but their financial success. Even with some missteps, they still pull in money.

I'm just explaining why people tend to keep saying the next less known Marvel film will bomb. Happened with GotG and Ant Man too.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
They should just cancel the Cyborg standalone film. He seemed dull as dishwater in what little we saw of him in the Justice League teaser. I feel like their efforts could be focused on something that has a better chance of being a hit.

Einchy

Marvel will have its Cars one day. It just ain't happening with Strange.

So coming up we have:

Doctor Strange

Guardians
Spider-Man
Thor

Black Panther
Avengers 3
Ant-man and The Wasp

Captain Marvel
Avengers 3

Anything is possible, of course, but judging by the talent they have working on the future movies, I think only Captain Marvel might be their first dud and that's all the way in 2019.

Cuburt

I would bet anything that Dr Strange won't tank. Your general public is seeing those images in the trailer of the buildings falling and shit and going "Wow! It's Marvel and it looks so different and awesome!"
Exactly.

At this point, "different" is a selling point in a Marvel movie and not something that is going to be a hard sell to audiences.

If it looked like "more of the same", that is when they are in trouble.

If it happens I bet that the first mistake from Marvel will be the Inhumans movie.

But right now I doubt that movie will even happen.

Thor 3 could be a dud but it will have Hulk so to me that's already better than the two previous Thor movies.

it's highly manufactured 'luck' though. Disney doesn't panic as easily, and their first act would be finding out where in the feedback data they fucked up exactly. Also, large outlines and outlines per movie before getting near production help with keeping variations small between movies. They're still different movies and thereby also slightly different takes on characters, but they try to keep them mostly consistent and that's really where things start to differ immensly with DC: you watch a Marvel movie for its characters (except Thor, but he has Loki so you watch for Loki), whereas Zack Snyder has no idea what a character is and the fact that DC / WB keeps him on means neither do they. So their lack of 'luck', or really just incompetence, because that's what that is, is their own fault. James Cameron considering Snyder an inspiration be damned (that short interview that was put on private :( To be fair, he also mentioned George Lucas due to the technology needed for Avatar angle).

What's more surprising is how the Nolan movies got made knowing that.

Speaking of Zach Snyder, has everyone checked on Honest Trailers doing Watchmen?
Because it has literally the exact same fucking bullshit that BvS has. To the "same name" thing on.

Nuke Soda

Honestly still really looking forward to this. I enjoyed BvS, much to my own surprise so I will probably like this. Good. Bad, as long as they do Harley Quinn right I am happy.

Even with these mediocre reviews, if the movie breaks 140 as it was tracking to do, a sequel will be immediately greenlit.

I think people will take to it. I'm just curious if the home release will be an extended version ala BVS. For me, the BVS Ultimate Edition is a mostly great movie, with a few problem spots here and there ("MARTHA").

Still looking forward to Suicide Squad. Wanna judge it for myself. Sometimes the critics are just don't align with the general audience.

LeonSPBR

Great title mods.

Also Cars is a moneymaker, have a cousin with 4 years old and that kid loves Cars. Anything that has Cars in it, like cups, toys etc... he wants it. So Cars movies makes a lot of money on merchandising alone, and I don't know how well they did it with 2 movies, but I don't think Marvel will be sad if they have a Cars situation with one of their franchise.

Someone said that earlier but only now I'm starting to think about it: if Infinity Wars isn't a two-parter, what could end phase 3?

What would you end phase 3 with? Not counting on them getting back any heroes.

DC might be going with Injustice as someone said earlier (Knightmare, etc), even though I think that's too soon. But hey, they already did Death of Superman, so fuck waiting.

Einchy

Marvel will get the rights to F4, completely throw away all of the F4 heroes and just use the villains. I don't care about the villains but I do want Doom and Galactus.
I used to think that..... used to

You used to be right!

Someone said that earlier but only now I'm starting to think about it: if Infinity Wars isn't a two-parter, what could end phase 3?

What would you end phase 3 with? Not counting on them getting back any heroes.

It will be a two parter, it's just that they're not calling it part I and II anymore cus they feel that's not representative of what the movies are. It implies that part I only exists as the first half of another movies and that's not what it is.

It will be a two parter, it's just that they're not calling it part I and II anymore cus they feel that's not representative of what the movies are. It implies that part I only exists as the first half of another movies and that's not what it is.

Hm, so Infinity Wars could be (Fiinal Fantasy VI midgame spoilers) like the
World of Balance and World of Ruin.

Don't know what they will do if/when Thanos uses the Gauntlet.

I think it's more like the Divergent series completely killed the notion of having "part x" in your title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom