• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If nothing else, I'm sure Cumberbatch will give a great performance as Stephen. Dude can sell emotion really well and he has a ton of range, he can bring a kind of sarcastic humor to the character.

All Marvel needs to do is sell us on is the character. That's what they do best. From there, it's relative smooth sailing.

The thing that makes me sad the most about the state of the DCEU is that I'll probably never see a live-action All Star Superman adaptation.

Goddamnit.

EDIT: Not that I would want to see one with Snyder there, dear lord no.

black_13

Banned
Damn DC really needs to start putting real talent behind the screen. At this point the only DCU movie I'm looking forward to is Wonder Woman but even that I'm not sure about.

Just catching up on the last few pages, I have to comment on what Cara said.

While her and Ayer saying it's "for real people" etc is just ridiculous, the questions like that from journalists and reporters really annoy me. It happens in sports and other stuff too when a team loses.

"Hey your movie is getting trashed - what do you think of that?"

What the fuck do you think they think? What are they supposed to say? They certainly can't publicly agree with it so all they have left is to reach out for a flimsy branch to cling to until it's over.

It's a shitty question and while I am not saying people movies can't be criticized, I don't think that's the proper forum for it and certainly in many cases the actors themselves aren't at fault when a film doesn't turn out well.

Anth0ny

are they? man of steel did well, BvS didn't hit a billion but came close to 900. Justice League will probably do a billion.

I think their expectations are too high considering the tone Snyder has brought to the films and the reviews they've been getting. these movies are doing pretty well at the box office though.

i'm pretty sure both super underperformed when you consider budget + marketing dollars. of course they both got shit on by critics, too.

I don't see justice league doing a billion if the critics shit on it the same way bvs got shit on. I was certain bvs would do a billion no matter what. reviews and word of mouth are powerful, and making a billion isn't as easy as people think.

Thread's title is amazing! :))
Not surprised by the scores. didn't like trailers and they had a low quality sense in my opinion. but should watch the movie and maybe it's not that bad. BVS had awful scores too, but I liked it! it wasn't amazing, but much better than I expected.

i'm pretty sure both super underperformed when you consider budget + marketing dollars. of course they both got shit on by critics, too.

I don't see justice league doing a billion if the critics shit on it the same way bvs got shit on. I was certain bvs would do a billion no matter what. reviews and word of mouth are powerful, and making a billion isn't as easy as people think.

it's a 100 million stretch more than BvS did. may or may not be reviewed better than BvS since it's going for a more simpler storyline too and Snyder can't go nihilistic on the heroes this time. i think a billion isn't out of the question honestly.

I have a feeling the critical savaging that Suicide Squad is getting will hurt its grosses more than it did BvS. The hurt is still fresh from BvS, and I don't think audiences will be as forgiving.
Having said that, I still think we are heading to a new August opening record. Tracking was too high not to break the record that GotG set in 2014. It could take a big hit from estimates and still take the record.

I don't think it will flop, but consider what we're talking about here. dr strange is like a d tier marvel superhero. marvel still has iron man, avengers, captain america and spider-man to pick up the slack.

meanwhile DC is flopping with superman, batman/superman/wonder woman and now joker+harley and friends... what the fuck does that mean for aquaman and cyborg, DC's d tier superheroes?

I mean, you sort of answered your own question. Aquaman and Cyborg will do well if they are good, just like Marvel's "D-tier" heroes like Iron Man or Guardians of the Galaxy did well and became not so D tier anymore.

I've talked to a few people. The people who were planning to see it are still planning to see it. The people who didn't wanna see it just went "I told you so."

Shrug lol

Hydrargyrus

EsTBzre.jpg

The problem moving forward is that in order to grow your box office results, or even maintain them, people need to like the product.

So BvS made around 900m, but how many of those tickets liked it enough to come back for Justice League?

BLACKLAC

it's a 100 million stretch more than BvS did. may or may not be reviewed better than BvS since it's going for a more simpler storyline too and Snyder can't go nihilistic on the heroes this time. i think a billion isn't out of the question honestly.

Its biggest problem is this:

Nov 3

Thor: Ragnarok

Nov 17

Justice League

Nov 22

Coco

Dec 15

Star Wars: Episode VIII

Fantastic Beasts is fucked for similar reasons.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I'm just explaining why people tend to keep saying the next less known Marvel film will bomb. Happened with GotG and Ant Man too.

Everytime peopld said that, the film ended up exceeding expectation and Marvel green lit a sequel to it.

The problem moving forward is that in order to grow your box office results, or even maintain them, people need to like the product.

So BvS made around 900m, but how many of those tickets liked it enough to come back for Justice League?

Depends on WOM for Justice League. People will get out and see a movie if their friends/family are talking about it and if it has good hype/word of mouth after release. DC's problem clearly isn't hype building or getting people in on opening weekend, it's keeping them in the following weeks. If JL comes out and, by some miracle, has a ton of good word of mouth people will go see it. For your average person the cost of a movie ticket isn't some huge cost obstacle or investment. Even if they hated BvS, if they hear JL is cool, they'll pay $12 and watch it.

If there is one thing DC fans can celebrate it's that DC comics is currently destroying Marvel in sales thanks to CWII being a divisive mess.

what in the fuck is a Coco Let it Snow? and who cares about thor, that's 2 weeks before JL, when it comes to these comic properties it's always onto the next one. Thor will have made most of it's gross by the time JL comes out.

After BvS are folks really willing to spend extra dollars to see cyborg, Aquaman, and Flash?

Holy trinity>>>>>> those 3 lame schmucks

Its biggest problem is this:

Nov 3

Thor: Ragnarok

Nov 17

Justice League

Nov 22

Coco

Dec 15

Star Wars: Episode VIII

Fantastic Beasts is fucked for similar reasons.
WB currently has an untitled DC film slated for 7/27/2018

I could totally see then deciding to push back their entire slate and delaying Justice League to that spot. Especially when Suicide Squad blows up this weekend.

BLACKLAC

what in the fuck is a Coco Let it Snow? and who cares about thor, that's 2 weeks before JL, when it comes to these comic properties it's always onto the next one. Thor will have made most of it's gross by the time JL comes out.

Just Coco. BvS had damn near a good month to itself. No free lunch for JL.

It can and will happen but for now? They had there plans ready for years to come.

Honestly, aside from Age of Ultron it feels like they are actually just hitting their stride. Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, Civil War are all massive steps up from their Phase 1 stuff.

I'm sure they'll stumble at some point but it feels like it will be Infinity War or after

guek

Banned

Coco is a Pixar movie. 2wks is close enough to where some people might not be up for another superhero movie so soon. However, JL is such a bigger property, the effects could be minimal. It's hard to say at this point though what the hype will be like in the wake of BvS.

E-flux

Ehh, at this point i have come to expect DC movies to score low, i enjoyed MoS and BvS a lot more than i have enjoyed most of the Marvel movies. Guardians of the galaxy is the only Marvel movie to this point that i truly liked.

They'd replace Richards with Tony. Richards would be redundant. The MCU can't have a smarter man than Stark.
Besides, the F4 are trash.

I used to think that for a while, just because Mr Fantastic hadn't been impressive in a long time.

Secret Wars made me change my mind, Doom needs Reed.

They'd replace Richards with Tony. Richards would be redundant. The MCU can't have a smarter man than Stark.
Besides, the F4 are trash.
They already have a smarter man than Stark. He was only in one film though. But hopefully we get some more Hank Pym soon.

And maybe you should read some more FF stuff before saying they are trash. Their record is spotty, but in the right hands they are glorious and wonderful.

They already have a smarter man than Stark. He was only in one film though. But hopefully we get some more Hank Pym soon.

And maybe you should read some more FF stuff before saying they are trash. Their record is spotty, but in the right hands they are glorious and wonderful.

i'd gladly take a scene with hank, stark and banner over any other team up opportunity in the mcu right now.

pym easily has the best screen presence of the marvel characters after stark.

Most exciting event on the MCU end is seeing what they do with their current crop of characters after IW, and what they do when the stone nonsense is over. Gradually the focus will likely shift to the newer characters. And I can't see them pulling a Transformers move by killing them.

Indelible

I was going to see this on the weekend but now I will wait for blu-ray or maybe even skip it altogether. I'am done blindly giving my money to DC after being burned by BvS, I still have hope that Wonder Woman will deliver.

Its funny hearing people saying how JL will "Easily" make $1 billion when 5 months ago BvS was supposed to coast through a $1 billion gross like it was no problem. And unlie BvS, Justice League will be coming after 2, possibly 3 critically derided films in the same series.

Log4Girlz

Its funny hearing people saying how JL will "Easily" make $1 billion when 5 months ago BvS was supposed to coast through a $1 billion gross like it was no problem. And unlie BvS, Justice League will be coming after 2, possibly 3 critically derided films in the same series.

BvS hit 800 million with just 2 headlining characters. JL has like a million. It'll do much better. Its simple multiplication.

EGM1966

Fans are optimists. Generally a bad film hurts BO of next film in a franchise whether it's good or not (Star Trek Beyond is latest example of this). Sure it's possible to buck the trend but statistically at this point the odds have to be stacked against JL and future DC superhero movies.

But... Fans are optimists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom