• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Suicide Squad' to Star Will Smith, Jared Leto, Margot Robbie, Jai Courtney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
So Forbes dude ran with the haircut as the big reveal....

Dude was smart anyway, the female Jared Leto fandom is all over this shit.

tumblr_nklogu8rvN1rrd77co1_1280.jpg

I'm starting to think that he picked this role specifically because of how challenging it's going to be after Ledger's Joker in TDK. Otherwise I don't think we would've ever seen him in any comic book film, dude seems very picky about which roles he plays.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Dude was smart anyway, the female Jared Leto fandom is all over this shit.

I'm starting to think that he picked this role specifically because of how challenging it's going to be after Ledger's Joker in TDK. Otherwise I don't think we would've ever seen him in any comic book film, dude seems very picky about which roles he plays.

Very likely. Taking up the role after Ledger and managing to make it different and unique and personalised and critically acclaimed? That'd be a crowning achievement for any actor.

Loxley

How many movies is Jared Leto signed on for?

Chances are it's SS, Justice League and maybe one of the standalone Batman films WB has planned for the moment. If his Joker is well received, you can bet they're going to want to get their money's worth out of him.

Ahasverus

Leto is not going to be better than Ledger.

But it's going to be different.

And I agree with Sheroking, we haven't had a bad Joker in.. ever? It's like the easiest character to do well.

And I agree with Sheroking, we haven't had a bad Joker in.. ever? It's like the easiest character to do well.

Disagree. Just cause almost every actor/VA has nailed it doesn't make it an easy role. Anyone can play psychotic, but to do so with the right amount of glee? Not at all easy.

I dunno... Leto is pretty damn talented. Not saying Ledger wasn't talented, but I wouldn't say outright that Leto won't be better.

Ahasverus

I dunno... Leto is pretty damn talented. Not saying Ledger wasn't talented, but I wouldn't say outright that Leto won't be better.
Even if he was better, he wouldn't have the same impact.

I personally think that constant need of a new thing having to be the BEST EVER is tiring and more often than not it ends up in dissapointment. I just expect a well acted, interesting take on the Joker that hopefully is in a good story, if he's the best or the worst I don't care, I came from the character, if it's the character, that's good enough.

I really like this mock up though.

Busty

Banned
Chances are it's SS, Justice League and maybe one of the standalone Batman films WB has planned for the moment. If his Joker is well received, you can bet they're going to want to get their money's worth out of him.

I imagine that it might be a trilogy of Suicide Squad films and a standalone Batman film or two. Or possibly, as you say, a Batman standalone and an appearance in a Justice League film...., though I could see WB keeping him in the Suicide Squad 'universe'.

It's not as if WB could spin Joker off into his own film (as they might do with Will Smith's Deadshot and/or whoever ends up as Deathstroke) and with Margot Robbir talking about playing Harley Quinn for 'ten years' I imagine that this will be a long term gig.

Totally disagree. A different interpretation of the character deserves to exist alongside another interpretation.

Nicholson's Joker is nothing like Ledger's and really cannot be compared. I imagine that Leto etc are extremely aware of this.

I imagine that it might be a trilogy of Suicide Squad films and a standalone Batman film or two. Or possibly, as you say, a Batman standalone and an appearance in a Justice League film...., though I could see WB keeping him in the Suicide Squad 'universe'.

It's not as if WB could spin Joker off into his own film (as they might do with Will Smith's Deadshot and/or whoever ends up as Deathstroke) and with Margot Robbir talking about playing Harley Quinn for 'ten years' I imagine that this will be a long term gig.

Totally disagree. A different interpretation of the character deserves to exist alongside another interpretation.

Nicholson's Joker is nothing like Ledger's and really cannot be compared. I imagine that Leto etc are extremely aware of this.

yeah I actually love all these different versions of jokers i don't really compare them so far i've never seen a horrendous joker yet.

Error

If there's a SS2 it'll probably be about infiltrating the Watchtower or Hall of Justice or whatever is the HQ of the JL to get stuff on the JL since one of things about Waller is that she doesn't trust the JL at all.

So it's not necessary for Joker to appear in another SS film, once the group has been established in the first movie.

Ahasverus

I bet Joker is not even a member of the Squad (Waller is not that stupid) He's probably the one they're custoding or perhaps he will use them somehow to escape Arkham.

Busty

Banned
If there's a SS2 it'll probably be about infiltrating the Watchtower or Hall of Justice or whatever is the HQ of the JL to get stuff on the JL since one of things about Waller is that she doesn't trust the JL at all.

So it's not necessary for Joker to appear in another SS film, once the group has been established in the first movie.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say with this speculation. Are you suggesting that Leto will only be the Joker once?

Error

I'm not sure what you're trying to say with this speculation. Are you suggesting that Leto will only be the Joker once?

No, he'll definitely appear in more movies you don't snatch a talent like that for just one movie. What I'm saying is that it's not necessary for him to appear in more SS films after the first one.

Busty

Banned
No, he'll definitely appear in more movies you don't snatch a talent like that for just one movie. What I'm saying is that it's not necessary for him to appear in more SS films after the first one.

Agreed. And as I said before unlike most other members of the SS the Joker doesn't exactly lend himself to being spun out in his own film so he'll be the antagonist for other characters etc no doubt.

If Margot has signed up for Harley for 10 years then Jared can too.

I wouldn't be surprised if Warners intended to try and spin off Harley into her own film or possible team up if she proves popular enough.

I imagine that her deal will reflect that.

That's a crappy reveal, he should have just posted it instead of teasing. Teasing implies its a big deal. I like that ayer is posting stuff though. I feel like were getting more stuff from this than BvS even though this a longer ways out.

as much as I love his work in other areas, I thought DiMaggio's interpretation of Joker in Under The Red Hood was the weakest version I've seen in a really long time.

DaveH

Any movie with Cara Delevingne worth checking out?

Playhouse Presents "Timeless" (Season 3, Episode 8)

Aired date: Jun 19 said:
Plot: Alice and Chloe may be generations apart but both share the pain of having been separated from their partners by war. Chloe's soldier fiancé is serving a term of duty in Afghanistan when an army official arrives at Alice's door. The two women are shocked by the news but the generation gap is finally closing. Sylvia Syms and Cara Delevingne star in this engaging tale of love, loss and hope, written by Tim Firth.

For a TV debut, it was really impressive... she's only going to get better with experience / training.

Sheroking

as much as I love his work in other areas, I thought DiMaggio's interpretation of Joker in Under The Red Hood was the weakest version I've seen in a really long time.

It was probably either DiMaggio or Emerson who was the "weakest", and even in those cases, I wouldn't say either were BAD.

We've just had three brilliant Joker performances since 1989 and that's a lot to live up to.

munchie64

It was probably either DiMaggio or Emerson who was the "weakest", and even in those cases, I wouldn't say either were BAD.

We've just had three brilliant Joker performances since 1989 and that's a lot to live up to.
Whhaaattt? Both were great for the Jokers they were portraying. Especially Emerson.
Young Justice is like the only bad Joker recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom