• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

[Space Brothers] - 13

I have a very strange relationship with this show. I am not excited about watching the it when it comes out and I can wait days or weeks between episodes without caring too hoots. Yet whenever I sit down to watch an episode I find it to be extremely enjoyable.

Accel World 12
NAKAMA NAKAMA NAKAMA
When this show is talking, it's really boring. Really boring. I don't really care too much for the characters and their problems here so it makes it hard for me to listen to it.
The action this episode was kinda cool. A little silly when they decided to make
the armor suddenly be spiderman

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
[Space Brothers] - 13

I have a very strange relationship with this show. I am not excited about watching the it when it comes out and I can wait days or weeks between episodes without caring too hoots. Yet whenever I sit down to watch an episode I find it to be extremely enjoyable.

Same. But the only shows I really can't wait to sit down and watch this season have been Space Brothers and AKB0048.

Mouretsu Pirates 26 (end)
tumblr_m6fyiesCmk1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Would have rather they gave this at least another episode. More time with the other pirates, as well as the actual effort in the conflic would have been nice to see expanded beyond just 15 or so minutes (especially considering quite a bit of that time was
electronic warfare
). And the ending itself
would have rather it been conclusive, is it implying the whole thing was a plan by Ironbeard, whom Im guessing is Marika's father, just to get her to go to the other sea? Crystal could have actually been defeated instead of fleeing
)

6 / 10, not the best space sci anime Ive seen though for that aspect of space and ships it was good. Character cast was lacking as I didn't like much of any of the school antics or even crew antics unless it directly involved characters of the Bentenmaru, which had lots of fun ones like Kane and Sandaime who both needed way more screentime. Really its universe was really appealing and visual stunning at times

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Sankarea 12 [END]

The show was pretty much dead to me the moment
Wanko began having a defeatist attitude about her possible romantic relationship with Chihiro.

Had some awesome visuals in the first 2~3 eps.. don't know what happened after that.

Here's a tentative Fall lineup so far:

newtaminA 2.0:
Robotics;Notes
Psycho-Pass

Shounen apocalypse:
Magi
Zetsuen no Tempest
Code:Breaker
Gyrozetter

Continuations:
Kyousogiga Sequel
Hidamari Sketch x Hanikamu
Jormungand S2
Hiiro no Kakaera S2
Bakuman S3
Hayate no Gotoku! New Series

Wildcards:
Say "I love you"
Girds Und Panzer
K
From the New World (Might be delayed to Winter)

Smut:
Busou Shinki
ToLoveRu Darkness
Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankei Nai yo ne
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
Little Busters!

I think I'd put K in shounen apocalypse over Gyrozetter.

Just to make sure, Darkness came out after the writer's wife took everything from him, right?

Yes, and after he got the rights back to her character.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Accel World 12

Why must the characters take turns being pathetic?

Good follow-up to last week's episode. I was hoping that they'd
destroy the Armor completely...
But I guess not.

Jex

Midori Scramble

MinoriScramble2.jpg

So, this is part of Ufotable's 2012 OVA series of works that were, apparently, complete commercial failures. I won't really speak to that because I don't feel it's particularly relevant.

Minicori Scramble is a 40 minute OVA about a a girl that hates penguins who gets paired up with a weird penguin/robot/girl/thing. Suffice to say, wackiness ensures. Whether or not you'll enjoy the events that follow really depends on your enjoyment of really extended chase sequences. Personally, I don't have much of a problem with them but I feel this errs a little on the lengthy side. I didn't really feel much investment in what was going on because I wasn't really interested in the characters - which is fine, this isn't a character study, it's a very silly action/chase OVA.

What really stands out about the production is the extremely lively, expressive and creative 2D (!) animation. The entire production is just oozing with creative charm and it's hard to find an image from the show which doesn't look great. It's obvious that a lot of talented people had a lot of fun creating this and it shows.

It also contains more penguins per second of film than you'll see in any other anime ever made.

MinoriScramble1.jpg

I would recommend this to just about anyone, it doesn't contain a single piece of objectionable content.

That actually makes me curious. There's always something interesting about a work that's been written from a very dark place.

It's a long story. Here's a good summary of events I found on another forum.

The common consesus in the TLR threads is that, Yabuki had to quit because he can't be a full time mangaka for a weekly series and taking care of his little girl (she's three) at the same time (now that he has full custody).

Ataru was asking about how much TLR was Hasemi, Yabuki, and the editors... Well, according to the Manga Brain (a special section dedicated to interviews with a mangaka in WSJ), Yabuki usually discusses the story with Hasemi over the phone on Wednesdays, then spends half a day doing the preliminary draft on Fridays... Have another in-depth discussion with both the editor and Hasemi in the afternoon, and finish up the final product on Tuesday morning (Tuesday afternoon is his free time).

- There is this person called Nakamura Ine who is quite famous on the Nico Nico website (a large Japanese online community somewhat like Youtube), who turned out to be a minor (last year in high school) and also insinuated that he has something going on with a Kashiwagi Shiho.

- Now this Shiho was the wife of Yabuki Kentaro, the author of To-Love-Ru. She met Yabuki when he was looking for assistants, seduced him and ended up becoming his wife and gave birth to a daughter.

- But she hardly did any house work, neglected her daughter, and spent most of her days in front of a computer spending time in Nico Nico etc.

- January 2009, when Yabuki was sick with flu and bedridden, she kidnapped her own daughter and disappeared, and it turned out that she left her daughter at her parents' place while she was doing this and that with Ine.

- February 2009, Yabuki 'begged' Shiho to return for the sake of their daughter, and Shiho did return to Tokyo, but few days later she dropped out once again with the girl, this time taking a notebook computer and Yabuki's credit cards. Yabuki later stopped the cards, but a large sum of money was already taken out.

- Yabuki looked for them everywhere, but to no avail. March 2009, Shiho demanded a divorce on the grounds of personality clash and a large chunk of Yabuki's assets, but when the evidence of her infidelity was discovered on her computer, she then changed her stance and demanded money in exchange for the custody right of the daughter.

- Realizing it would take over a year to settle things, Yabuki accepted her conditions and got the daughter back.

- Haruna Sairenji was based on Kashiwagi Shiho, and there is a reason why her role was reduced dramatically since volume 13, and Yui getting more prominent. And apparently Shiho has sued/demanded more money for the character of Haruna recently.

- A comment of Yabuki's while this was all happening:
[While I was working hard on a manga that was focused on taking young girls' panties off, another man was taking my wife's panties off.]

- I forgot to mention that following the dispute over Haruna's character right, Yabuki feared his daughter getting hurt by all the debacle, so he accepted Shiho's demand yet again and ended the series prematurely.

Nakamura Ine, the famous guy in the horse mask performing music on nico, has admitted on his blog that he had extramarital relations with Kashiwagi Shiho, the wife of ToLoveru artist Yabuki Kentarou. On his blog he apologizes deeply once more to Yabuki and also to all that have been affected by this.

Kashiwagi Shiho had started getting in touch with the musicians on nico douga and got to know Nakamura Ine among others, and she had collaborations with them by helping them draw the art for the music they post up (under the handle name of Ume).

Kashiwagi and Yabuki are apparently now currently divorced since early this year (the extramarital relations happened before the divorce) and Yabuki has the custodial rights to their 3 year old daughter.

The entire issue was spotted and dug up through mixi and there was a very long battle as 2ch posters tried to find more evidence and confront Nakamura and Kashiwagi. There was a lot of unconfirmed info so I hadn’t posted about it till now.

There is still a lot about what happened between them, so interested parties that understand Japanese can read the wiki.

He had announced that he will be joining the Ouzoku Band but now he’ll leave them instead, and he’ll delete his mixi account, his blog, and all of his and Ume’s videos from nico douga.

Jex

True, I'll take your advice here.

Oreimo 10

I can't escape :(

I need that Justeen anime. Everytime they're in the cafe I stop paying attention to the dialogue and just watch the monitor behind them.
Earlier, I was joking about you becoming a Gen Urobuchi character. Now it all seems too real.

Ginga e Kickoff 13
tumblr_m6fzz2NS7F1qbxqfpo1_500.png

This episode was pretty good. Kota, Ryuuji, Ouzou ftw!The referee was dumb but so glad everyone managed.
I love that strategy of when they all switch their hair and then Ryuuji's method of scoring, where he makes them knock their own ball in, lol, and Kota's intense shots are epic.

The opponents had awkward faces though...
tumblr_m6g0x0cFGW1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Moyashimon 2

After recently seeing splitscreen shots show up quite a bit in Oniisama e, here it is again in exactly the same format:

There was another neat shot type that I believe I recall seeing in the earlier show, when one character is talking to characters reflected on mirrors behind him, framing the conversation in a visually engaging manner.

The episode has quite a few interesting moments like these which show the influence of Dezaki. It turns out that its storyboarder and director was Hiro Kaburaki, director of Kimi ni Todoke. Kaburaki doesn't seem to have been in direct contact with Dezaki from what I can glean from his resume, but he clearly picked up some tricks from the master.

On another note, I would totally buy those microbe trading cards featured in the eyecatch.

---

Are you trying to get me to watch it? :(

Only your own soul can guide you there.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sailor Moon R 75

Inception!
Hopefully Sailor Pluto shows up again! I like her. When will the real identity of Chibiusa's mother be revealed? Also, how does it work that there's the same sailors in the 20th century as there are in the 30th? It was good seeing Usagi and Chibiusa getting more friendly.

Sailor Moon R 76

Let them eat cake! Usagi is such a gluttonous girl. :( Though the other girls had their share of blame this time, too. Tuxedo Mask's speech was hilariously rambling, even if it did have a point.

Sailor Moon R 77

Finally,
Usagi and Mamoru hook up again. Was there really any point to that whole subplot beyond extending the anime a bit? I still don't understand how those promise ring things work. :(

Sailor Moon R 78

A Minako Episode! This was really a full on comedy episode, when will Minako ever get a serious one? At least the comedy was top notch!
not quite sure what the deal with the thermometer was though.
The artists went all out with the faces this episode.

Narag

Sailor Moon R 76

Let them eat cake! Usagi is such a gluttonous girl. :( Though the other girls had their share of blame this time, too. Tuxedo Mask's speech was hilariously rambling, even if it did have a point.

Cakeshop episode was an abomination.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Cakeshop episode was an abomination.

Yeah, especially
how weirdly jealous Usagi gets of Chibiusa hanging out with Mamoru. And the random "let's all binge on cake!"

At least episode 78 made up for it,
Nurse Minako
was great.

Narag

spoilertags for a Sailor Moon show... isn't it common knowledge?

maybe I'm too old for animes.

More than a few people going through it currently so it's a courtesy. It's also old enough to fall off the map and be rediscovered via its age so to speak. Lots of older stuff I assume folk would be familiar with simply aren't due to decreased exposure from more viewing options too.

MartyStu

Sooo, whats good this season?

It has been 2-3 years since my last anime binge and I am looking for something to ease me into the newer stuff. Suggestions?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Half way through Angel Beats (I'm watching like one episode every other night at this rate..) I see nothing wrong with this show.. Actually enjoying it.

Nothing excites me that much this season... I think I'll finally get around to watching Haruhi first season and the movie. 2nd season is pretty much unnecessary, right?

Narag

"Hey guys, we just licensed IDOLMASTER! One of the big hits in Japan now!"

"Oooooh yeah, FUCK YEAH!"

"Erm... why does this contract say.... Sunrise...."

No doubt they saw how AKB0048 was taking Earthstar by storm and wanted to get in on thie idol/mecha revival. Striking while the iron is hot and all that.

Makoto

Half way through Angel Beats (I'm watching like one episode every other night at this rate..) I see nothing wrong with this show.. Actually enjoying it.

Nothing excites me that much this season... I think I'll finally get around to watching Haruhi first season and the movie. 2nd season is pretty much unnecessary, right?
The second season is critical to the movie. It is a necessity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom