• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
lolwutsubbers1.jpg

I reeeeeeaaaaaaallllllly hate translators notes. Its done more for personal reasons than as a professional subtitler would. Its lazy, selfish, and just fucking stupid.

mAcOdIn

Nah, at least some of her characters wouldn't have been as interesting or endearing without her voice. Maka sounding like anything other than a scrawny, awkward girl wouldn't have been right. Hotori's warbly, annoying "idiot" voice was spot-on. The right voice is always necessary to bring out the essence of a character and, if anything, the industry desperately needs even more vocal diversity.
What I was trying to say was that I do think her voice actually fits her characters and as such is usually the best choice for those characters and so it should be considered that she's great in that regard, however, her actual real life voice isn't as whacky as her VA voice and so I can't say I'm a fan of her real voice nor do I count myself as a fan of hers as a real life individual.

So when I replied to that post it really was backwards to me because I do, rather unconditionally, think she does a good job with her characters and do, usually, like her characters unconditionally but I'm not a fan of her herself. If that makes any sense at all.

That said, it seems any studio not Shaft has trouble deciding where to place her but Shaft's awesome so it's only natural they're at the top of the casting game.
Hagure Yuusha no Estetica 2

Bodies being defiled, hot lesbian sex in the equipment closet, girls peeing themselves. What is this, hentai?
Well whatever it is, I approve.
I have to ask because I think I'm already at my quota of one bad show a season with Campione so I'm not watching any more Hagure Yuusha no Estetica to get the answer myself but please tell me the pressure point he hits to make the girls piss themselves is something totally not discreet, impressive, magical, or anything like what one would consider a pressure point and is instead just the MC punching chicks in the kidney from behind. It could be like Index but instead of the MC punching chicks in the face he can go around kidney punching chicks.

Naruto SD 16
tumblr_m7b0mnJEA61qbxqfpo1_500.png

Well Im shocked they managed to make skits that are more terrible than Rock Lee focused ones...skits focused around Sakura, Ino, and Tenten, ugh. There were a few chuckle worthy moments but still certainly not as good as all the others that had massive Naruto involvement. The second skit was awful and it seemed like it last so long. Might Guy and Rock Lee are really the least good of the crew (and Izumo and Kotetsu ftw).

cajunator

Banned
well
buying stuff that belongs to cheap fanservice type shows will help to ruin the industry
its not like you're supporting all anime when you get those

I buy a little of everything. I've bought many very well regarded animes as well as fanservice shows and throwaways. I dont just limit it to otaku pandering shows.

cajunator

Banned
It definitely could get worse. I think while fascinating, the anime industry is one of the riskiest and most undesirable industries to be a part of. I really cannot imagine the amount of despair those workers feel during crunch time, and not getting paid shit for it.
I don't make a king's ransom, but I make enough to live on comfortably for this area, at least for a single.

Jex

Rinne no Lagrange S2 02:

It feels a bit anticlimactic that after an entire season of mystery,
the nature of the conflict between Le Garite and De Metrio is straightfowardly explained in about ten seconds. Furthermore, the show places strong, enigmatic personalities at the head of each faction, sets up the whole dispute over Yurikano in the first season, and the conflict ends up being something totally impersonal?
Really? I suppose that I should be thankful that the show has upped its yuri quotient considerably because the plot is beginning to lose its luster for me.

I've always considered the incredibly generic, and rather boring, space-opera backstory to the be the worst part of the show. The show seems to be at it's best when it's dealing with other matters.

cajunator

Banned
I've always considered the incredibly generic, and rather boring, space-opera backstory to the be the worst part of the show. The show seems to be at it's best when it's dealing with other matters.

The story is the stupid part of Rinne. It's about cute girls doing cute yuri things and also mechas.

AKB 12

This shit is dumb yo.

Could have ended hot, but man that song. Idk if it's the song or the beat or the HORRIBLE VOICES, but shit is bad. BAD.

Clean my soul Taritari!

Jex

5 episodes in Monster, hope this gets more interesting.

I will point out that Monster is a rather slow burn and you're currently in the set-up portion of the story. However you should probably consider dropping it if you don't start enjoying it soon. The pacing doesn't really change across the whole show.

-Minsc-

We have a new strip today, detailing another frequent con scenario, though not unique to Comic Con and perhaps more prevalent at other types of conventions. My own boundaries for what constitutes Yuck are clearly very different from those of other people, that is what nearly fourteen years of continuous id projection has taught me, but old dudes who are way lech taking pictures of super young cat, elf, and witch girls is a personal line if you thought that maybe I didn’t have one. Cataloging and performing that culture are vital, I want to make sure that’s understood. But it’s got to be possible to take these pictures without your wet tongue hanging out of your actual fucking mouth.

First thing that came to mind:

sal-wiggle(a).gif

wonzo

Banned
Moyashimon 11
Damn straight!

I feel kinda shitty for putting this show off for so long as it's definitely one of the most unique and interesting things I've ever seen. I wasn't really all that fond of the "DRAMA" at the end but it was actually used rather effectively and let to some well done character development. I wonder how much of the manga this covered but it's not like I can find out as it hasn't been translated past the first volume. :(

moyashimon11d.jpg

"In this segment of the worlds most touching moments with bread..."

Now, onto the Microbe Theatre DVD shorts and then the second season!
tomorrow

Jex

Blu-ray
*6, *,763 *26,292 Kokurikozaka Kara Special Edition
*9, *,473 **8,388 Kokurikozaka Kara Standard Edition

DVD
*1, 3,251 *,*46.378 Kokurikozaka Kara Standard Edition
*4, 1,502 *,*33,273 Kokurikozaka Kara Special Edition

Wow, if this is all that Goro Miyazaki can sell, I think Eva 3.0 has a good chance of surpassing the latest Ghibli movie both in box office takings and in DVD/BD sales! Sweet! I was waiting for this day to happen! :D

So is Ghibli like, dead then? Do you think they'll seriously reconsider changing how they do what they do?

Firemind

To be fair, it is based on a manga that was serialized in a shoujo magazine in the eighties, and we all know how much we love shoujo.

But, yes, DOOOOOMED.

/XX/

So is Ghibli like, dead then? Do you think they'll seriously reconsider changing how they do what they do?
They already said it; Mr. Miyazaki & Mr. Takahata going with a bang next year and then proceed to fold the studio while managing their previous properties instead. There is no one else that can sustain their habitual approach to movie-making unless it is some kind of impersonal derive not many wants, perpetuating a forced stance.

It should be better this way for all the people involved, so they can go to try different things on another place without the heavy (suffocating) influence of those two.

NewFresh

Nah. Miyazaki's next movie will make a shit load of money. Ghibli will die when he dies.

They can keep going with "A Miyazaki film" as Goro continues to Direct. That will fool people, at least for a bit. I still think that the studio will become something entirely different after him and Takahata leave.

Firemind

They already said it; Mr. Miyazaki & Mr. Takahata going with a bang next year and then proceed to fold the studio while managing their previous properties instead. There is no one else that can sustain their habitual approach to movie-making unless it is some kind of impersonal derive not many wants, perpetuating a forced stance.

It should be better this way for all the people involved, so they can go to try different things on another place without the heavy (suffocating) influence of those two.

Give the studio to Hosoda. BAM! Problem solved.

duckroll

They can keep going with "A Miyazaki film" as Goro continues to Direct. That will fool people, at least for a bit. I still think that the studio will become something entirely different after him and Takahata leave.

That won't work. The problem is not that Goro's movies are not directed by Hayao Miyazaki. The problem is that Goro isn't a good director. Also, Miyazaki and Takahata aren't going to leave. They're going to eventually die. Then Ghibli dies with them. It won't be different, it just won't exist anymore. :)

I reeeeeeaaaaaaallllllly hate translators notes. Its done more for personal reasons than as a professional subtitler would. Its lazy, selfish, and just fucking stupid.

In this case, you're right , but in some cases where the anime is not in a regular setting i'd rather them to keep the original word and use notes than translating everything ..

Translation notes are bad when they are abused
"Note: keikaku mean plan"

cajunator

Banned
For something that's supposedly FACTUAL this scrub certainly hasn't heard about the greatness of Magi or really anything outside of NARUTO a.k.a THE TRUE SUCCESSOR TO DRAGON BALL Z

I do think someone who obviously wants to be taken seriously should look somewhat presentable. He looks like a miserable greasy slob. Hard for people to take someone like that seriously. the lighting in that video is abysmal.

Theonik

Beginning: "Anime will cease to exist in ten years"

Middle: "Anime might be dead, but probably just shrink"

End: "Anime will become a niche market in japan"

:/
Sounds like the typical moving goalpost internet argument. Only he's arguing with himself in this case. It's also typically a sign for "I don't have any clue what it is I'm talking about"

NewFresh

That won't work. The problem is not that Goro's movies are not directed by Hayao Miyazaki. The problem is that Goro isn't a good director. Also, Miyazaki and Takahata aren't going to leave. They're going to eventually die. Then Ghibli dies with them. It won't be different, it just won't exist anymore. :)

I can see the studio dissolving into a few people who only deal with licensing.... :(

You don't think he proved his competence with From up on Poppy Hill?

cajunator

Banned
My only regret is that I dont know much actual Japanese, so I cannot contribute in any way that actually brings a profit to the companies that make these things, but at least I can help to keep the US licensors afloat. In a much smaller way they help to bolster the industry, although indirectly. But still, it beats piracy.

Saki 25

Kinda dull SoL eps revolving around the worst girl lady taco. Has good moments though.

the art style is Saki is REALLY pleasing.
Its just easy to look at.

duckroll

I can see the studio dissolving into a few people who only deal with licensing.... :(

You don't think he proved his competence with From up on Poppy Hill?

But that's exactly what we're talking about. The movie is not that popular, and it's did very poorly as far as Ghibli shows go in the box office, and the home video sales aren't that hot either. All he has proven is that he is watering down the Ghibli brand.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Moyashimon 11

Wonzo already capped the good parts. :(

Anyway, lots of character development here, and since the characters are all very likeable and well done, the drama felt believable as well. The ending was pretty open, with plenty of threads left unclosed, just the way it should be for a show like this.

I didn't really know what to expect when I started this, but I got a very fun, quirky, and educational (at times) show. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone else here who hasn't seen it yet.

Firemind

But that's exactly what we're talking about. The movie is not that popular, and it's did very poorly as far as Ghibli shows go in the box office, and the home video sales aren't that hot either. All he has proven is that he is watering down the Ghibli brand.

Come on, there are other factors than it being directed by Goro. There are a number of Ghibli movies in the past that weren't directed by Miyazaki and Takahata and they didn't dilute the studio's brand.

duckroll

Come on, there are other factors than it being directed by Goro. There are a number of Ghibli movies in the past that weren't directed by Miyazaki and Takahata and they didn't dilute the studio's brand.

The only one worth talking about is Whisper of the Heart. And that director is DEAD. :(

cajunator

Banned

That's true. I don't know who directed The Cat Returns or Whisper of the Heart but those are really good. Goro is just shitty like Ducky says.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom