• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Yurumates 3D 16

yurumate16.jpg

Death by indoor tent, a fate worse than fan death?

Campione! 3
tumblr_m7his7iMo31ra89e5o1_500.gif

Pretty nice action even what little there was, Im a fan of lances, however, Erica is awful
running away from Athena, seriously?!

Kind of half and half on the Words of Power (talking telepathically) being super wet saliva filled kisses...though Godou.

What sort of shows do you actually enjoy?
I don't know, I'm finding that I can't exactly trust what I liked in the past. As for what I've particularly enjoyed in recent times:
  • Ghost in the Shell
  • Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
  • Mobile Police Patlabor (OVA)
  • Patlabor: The Movie (need to watch the second movie)
  • Eureka Seven (despite all its flaws)
  • Blood-C

Nafe

Unfortunately, Aura is a separate item in this case. Sneaky bit of collaboration between the two manufacturers.

Yeah, I guess it helps if I take a couple moments and read the whole product description instead of doing a quick skim over. Still kind of neat though.

But they are wolves and not cats.

Your right, maybe I should have said inner furry. I just remember talk about how everyone is a furry and,if not, then when the movie comes out it would turn you into one. I think when Hitokage first switched his avatar people joked about this as well. I guess I was going more for that broader theme and not as much about them being wolves specifically. Plus I think the girl in my avatar is actually a fox and not a cat too. It's just for the weekend anyway.

About Toradora, yeah, it gets kind of melodramatic later like was mentioned. For what it's worth the girl coming next episode I guess it is was my favorite too.

Campione 3

Don't think I really want to watch this anymore. The haremmites are all dull and annoying and the action could be better. Might watch an action compilation video though, but I think I'm pretty much done with the show.

Area no Kishi 27
tumblr_m7hljkxclV1qbxqfpo1_500.png

One of the best episode where they dont play no soccer. I guess they had to make up for the lack of Nadeshiko JPN episodes by having all of the girls in that swimsuit photo shoot. But anyway, so many great moments thereafter on the beach.
They even brought out the announcer dude! Best voice in this anime. Predictable ending to the episode though, but it was sitll funny when it was executing.

Preview:
The game will be intense, I dont even know who I want to win as both have good characters, Silva would be crushed if he lost I bet.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Your right, maybe I should have said inner furry.
Some would argue they aren't the same. I personally think you might as well go all-in.

I just remember talk about how everyone is a furry and,if not, then when the movie comes out it would turn you into one.
Eh, the second part was the joke, yes, but the first part not so much, although I do think it shouldn't be as big of a deal as certain people make it.

I think when Hitokage first switched his avatar people joked about this as well. I guess I was going more for that broader theme and not as much about them being wolves specifically. Plus I think the girl in my avatar is actually a fox and not a cat too. It's just for the weekend anyway.
To be clear, I don't have this avatar just for the movie, even though it is a great occasion for it.

cajunator

Banned
I don't know, I'm finding that I can't exactly trust what I liked in the past. As for what I've particularly enjoyed in recent times:
  • Ghost in the Shell
  • Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
  • Mobile Police Patlabor (OVA)
  • Patlabor: The Movie (need to watch the second movie)
  • Eureka Seven (despite all its flaws)
  • Blood-C

Oh. BLOOD C
Thats what it was.

Articalys

I'll bet a ton of you would love the chance to go to this.
Tokyo's Toshimaen amusement park will be hosting a live-action role-playing game on August 18 and 19 themed after Namori's Yuruyuri manga operated by the PK Theater "creator team." In the game, visitors will play the role of students from the series's Nanamori Middle School and take on various missions that involve solving puzzles, using items, and finding lost items.

The four members of the "Nanamori-Chu Goraku-Bu" voice actress team, Minami Tsuda, Rumi Ookubo, Shiori Mikami, and Yuka Ōtsubo will make appearances over the two days of the event, and participants will be able to meet them after finishing the game. Yuruyuri goods exclusive to the event will also be available to players.

Soma

Redline
ibk4WNmfTL02pz.jpg
ibhoTAaVgEM1pz.jpg

mindblown.gif

That was a lot of fun. Really enjoyed it.

I know it's been said to death by now but yes the visuals/animation are gorgeous. Some really interesting and unique character designs and the universe they created here is really stylish. A lot of the movie was just plain ridiculous and I enjoyed it more because of that. The plot and romance was pretty silly, especially the whole
'oh hey we already knew each other in the past!' deal
but whatever, I just came here for the pretty visuals and the movie most certainly does not disappoint there. That said, the film felt more like a 1hr 40min music video with some downtime in the middle and I honestly really don't have a problem with that comparison.

The main characters were pretty decent. JP is a pretty standard lead character with some big dreams and nice hair (or nice dreams and big hair) and I liked Sonoshee a lot both in terms of character and her design. The soundtrack was pretty great for the most part. I loved whenever the fast electronic beats kicked in whenever a tense moment began but man I thought the 'romantic' styled music was pretty cheesy especially in context with some of the scenes.

But in the end, I liked it a lot. In terms of visuals it's a masterpiece as far as i'm concerned. As far as the plot and characterization goes... eh, not so much but this is one of the few movies where I can look past a mediocre plot and appreciate where the film excels at.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Accel World 15
NTR and blackmail are creepy, gross, and all around bad. I just want to watch robots fight and stuff Accel World, why are you making this so uncomfortable. Engrish guy did his best to make the episode not a complete downer.

Narag

Highlander: The Search for Vengeance

So when I learned there was an anime Highlander film, a fact I likely intentionally forgot, many things ran through my head. Phrases like "I didn't ask for this." or "Why is this even a thing?" are tamer examples thus I was loathe to watch this. I had some pretty heavy bias at the idea of this existing and went in with every intention to hate it.

I failed.

This had all the trappings of the older manime I do enjoy.
  • Gratuitous violence with buckets of blood
  • Terrible dub script with poetic lines like "I can rape and kill ye and no one will care." and "This isn't fucking Rome; this is New York!" that culminated in an exchange between two characters that was simply "Not if you're dead." "It is you, my friend, who is dead."
  • Dub delivery replete with terrible Scottish accents
  • Awkward sexuality & nudity
  • Post apocalyptic setting
    tFCwR.gif
  • distant haunted manly protagonist out for revenge
    B0H9b.gif

There's not much of a story. Colin MacLeod is out for revenge against his old immortal foe, Marcus Octavius, for reasons. Action ensues. It sure was pretty at times. There were a couple shots that seemed a little more artistic than was necessary in the movie though. Namely one scene that's a timelapse of the sky over Stonehenge and another that's Colin & Marcus facing off with the camera behind a filling wine glass. Turns out this was a joint venture with a western animation studio. Yoshiaki Kawajiri directed it which is likely why I felt right at home. It's a shame the english release cut about seven or eight scenes from the film at the producers' behest. This didn't please Kawajiri and I'm really curious what I missed out on as the director's cut is about ten minutes longer in run time. In the end, it was nice to be surprised by this given my misapprehension.

v0K55l.png

Our antagonist, Marcus Octavius, was introduced just chilling on the highest building in the city while searching for the perfect guitar riff. How cool is that?
kmwlPl.png

Samurai-robot-spider-police force. They have swords too!
13HBul.png

I don't even know why this scene was necessary. I guess to show how well she fights without clothing.
Fplr0l.png

Rejecting the topless hooker like an old pro. What a boss.

Redline
The main characters were pretty decent. JP is a pretty standard lead character with some big dreams and nice hair (or nice dreams and big hair) and I liked Sonoshee a lot both in terms of character and her design. The soundtrack was pretty great for the most part. I loved whenever the fast electronic beats kicked in whenever a tense moment began but man I thought the 'romantic' styled music was pretty cheesy especially in context with some of the scenes.

tumblr_m76nb9JM3y1rr56cmo1_250.gif

I should rewatch to reexperience some of it and understand a few of the characters better.

Jintor

Oh my god, K-on movie, i'm overloaded with adorable feels

FLYING IS TOO AWESOME IN THIS MOVIE. IN REALITY IT IS INCREDIBLY AGGRAVATING. 0/5 STARS

WHERE IS THE CONSTANT, EVER-PRESENT HUM OF THE ENGINES? THIS AIRCRAFT IS TOO SILENT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom