• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uchip

Banned
I hate you people. Avatar was trash. Never in my life have I watched anything as painfully dull (the filler in this show is beyond awful) with insufferable characters and a overly simplified storyline that is just completely dull. The voice acting in this show is some of the worst I've ever listened to in any show.

This is one of the most offensive shows I've ever watched. It's a show where a lot of thought, eforrt and work were placed into a show that was so painstakingly mediocre. I will never ever understand why people think of this as something better than your average shounen series. It was the American equivalent of Naruto. It's certainly not even close to being the best American cartoon ever, or the best American action cartoon.

I would have rather rewatched Ro-Kyu-Bu three times then have to put up with those 60 episodes of Avatar.

Its ok to have bad taste
we wont judge

sonicmj1

Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki

The Hosodacalypse is nigh. None shall be spared from its excellence.

Some of the last third dragged a bit, but the vast majority of it (ending included) is top-class animated cinema that anyone will love if they have a single remotely romantic bone in their body. Bonus points if you think animals are cool.

It's hard for me to recommend it highly enough. You all should see it if it is showing anywhere near you.

7Th

Avatar is fine, but the direction is totally vanilla and the action animation feels floaty and is mostly uninteresting; on the other hand, Korra has stylized direction and more polished animation, but the script is total crap for the entire second half and it's filled with ugly CG robots.

Uchip

Banned
Avatar is fine, but the direction is totally vanilla and the action animation floaty and uninteresting; Korra has stylized direction and more polished animation, but the script is total crap for the entire second half and it is filled with ugly CG robots.

it has its flaws, sure
but the characters are more expressive and the humor isnt nearly as forced as most shows
the 'live action referenced' martial arts are a great thing for people that practiced it or are just fans of the stuff too

and there really aren't many (if any) similar shows with continuity

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki

The Hosodacalypse is nigh. None shall be spared from its excellence.

Some of the last third dragged a bit, but the vast majority of it (ending included) is top-class animated cinema that anyone will love if they have a single remotely romantic bone in their body. Bonus points if you think animals are cool.

It's hard for me to recommend it highly enough. You all should see it if it is showing anywhere near you.
yeah but you gotta list a ranking of your favourite hosoda movies or else we won't have a frame of reference

do it for the nerdlists

sonicmj1

yeah but you gotta list a ranking of your favourite hosoda movies or else we won't have a frame of reference

do it for the nerdlists

Wolf Kids is better than Summer Wars. Benefits of having a tighter cast and a more intimately focused plot.

I haven't seen any other Hosoda, though TGWLTT is high on my list of things to watch.

I forgot to mention that I love how the movie shows the passage of time. Lots of fantastic montage.

7Th

it has its flaws, sure
but the characters are more expressive and the humor isnt nearly as forced as most shows
the 'live action referenced' martial arts are a great thing for people that practiced it or are just fans of the stuff too

and there really aren't many (if any) similar shows with continuity

Avatar has likeable characters, sure. Definitely way more likeable than anyone in Korra, anyway.

NewFresh

Compared to other shows on Nick like Spongebob or Fairly Odd Parents its crap, its not comparable against a ton of Disney shows, its not comparable against Batman TAS or even Justice League and it is certainly no My Little Pony.

Avatar is overrated because its a generic shounen in an artistic medium that thankfully did not have many generic shounens before this.

Using the word overrated is like saying "A lot of people like this and they are wrong to like this and hold it in such high regards". I don't like MLP, and I don't even understand why it's so popular, but it's not overrated. I think your point about the shounen aspects of the show aren't far from the truth; however, calling it shounen doesn't make it any less interesting or entertaining to me.

Avatar is fine, but the direction is totally vanilla and the action animation feels floaty and is mostly uninteresting; on the other hand, Korra has stylized direction and more polished animation, but the script is total crap for the entire second half and it's filled with ugly CG robots.

I agree with most of this, but Korra still has boring direction and camera work. I would say that Avatar benefited from being mostly set out in large open areas, while Korra seems to be confined to the city and the camera seems to just linger most of the time.

Defuser

Dog Days' ep 3
O5jYC.jpg

F7FaK.gif

Uchip

Banned
Using the word overrated is like saying "A lot of people like this and they are wrong to like this and hold it in such high regards". I don't like MLP, and I don't even understand why it's so popular, but it's not overrated. I think your point about the shounen aspects of the show aren't far from the truth; however, calling it shounen doesn't make it any less interesting or entertaining to me.

also don't see how its generic when there really is nothing like it

saying that spongebob is better is such a nonsensical comparison
they cant even be compared

faridmon

Don't ask me why, guys, but I have watched the first 2 Ep. of Arcana Familigia....

It has to be some of the worst 2 Ep I have watched in long long time. Horrible animation, horrible art, horrible characters, terrible everything. I am wondering is I should stick with it just t see how terrible it can get.

Alos Inverse Harem are the worst.

Defuser

Don't ask me why, guys, but I have watched the first 2 Ep. of Arcana Familigia....

It has to be some of the worst 2 Ep I have watched in long long time. Horrible animation, horrible art, horrible characters, terrible everything. I am wondering is I should stick with it just t see how terrible it can get.

Alos Inverse Harem are the worst.

Hey man, don't be dissing reverse harem. It can be good if there is a good source material.

Theonik

Avatar has likeable characters, sure. Definitely way more likeable than anyone in Korra, anyway.
I don't know, I pretty much hated every character on TLA except Toph. I can see where Darkside is coming from on this one. I found Korra a lot more tolerable in that regard.

Uchip

Banned
I don't know, I pretty much hated every character on TLA except Toph. I can see where Darkside is coming from on this one. I found Korra a lot more tolerable in that regard.

you didnt like iroh? aang? sokka?
katara is the worst of the lot but still not as obnoxious and generic as 90% of anime girls

Theonik

you didnt like iroh? aang? sokka?
katara is the worst of the lot but still not as obnoxious and generic as 90% of anime girls
Oh yeah I liked Iroh too, he was consistently likeable throughout the show. Aang? No actually he's the character I hate ALL throughout the show. Sokka did get better somewhere midway along S2 iirc too. But even then while they get better they go back to their old unlikeable selves quite often even after that.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Kokoro Connect 3

This is getting more and more interesting very quickly. First it seemed like it was just a little game, then we got the proof of some kind of alien influence, and now there's Inaba suddenly laying the truth bare. Shit's gonna get serious real soon.

3 episodes rule test passed with honors. If you like K-On! character designs, this is the show to watch.

Defuser

Kokoro Connect 3

This is getting more and more interesting very quickly. First it seemed like it was just a little game, then we got the proof of some kind of alien influence, and now there's Inaba suddenly laying the truth bare. Shit's gonna get serious real soon.

3 episodes rule test passed with honors.
So far this show is handling itself well with the supernatural, personal issues and the relationships between the 5. It's been quite a while since we have a love triangle.
I'm really looking forward every week to it.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I hate you people. Avatar was trash. Never in my life have I watched anything as painfully dull (the filler in this show is beyond awful) with insufferable characters and a overly simplified storyline that is just completely dull. The voice acting in this show is some of the worst I've ever listened to in any show.

This is one of the most offensive shows I've ever watched. It's a show where a lot of thought, eforrt and work were placed into a show that was so painstakingly mediocre. I will never ever understand why people think of this as something better than your average shounen series. It was the American equivalent of Naruto. It's certainly not even close to being the best American cartoon ever, or the best American action cartoon.

I would have rather rewatched Ro-Kyu-Bu three times then have to put up with those 60 episodes of Avatar.

Why must my yuri comrade do this to me. Why darkside! ;_;

Space bros 17

Was a bit bummed that they spend so much time explaining the pretty obvious 'mystery' with all the flashbacks and what not, but that ending, LMFAO.

Mutta is easily climbing up my list of top main characters.

And his flashback 'presentation' was amazing.

So far this show is handling itself well with the supernatural, personal issues and the relationships between the 5. It's been quite a while since we have a love triangle.
I'm really looking forward every week to it.

the way i see it ..it will be more than a triangle

Defuser

the way i see it ..it will be more than a triangle

Depends whether Yui will blush whenever she see Taichi. We all know the real contenders for Taichi's heart is Iori and Inaba.

I wonder if the red head will really get involved much. I figure Inaba and Iori are the real contenders here, and Iori is going to play the Kanna role and suffer.

Looking at ep 3, it's Inaba that is playing the Kanna role. She's practically pushing Taichi to Iori.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom