• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gintamen

Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai 03
Well, seems like it's going somewhere....
dakara03a.png
dakara03b.png
dakara03c.png
That's one important condition. How humble of her. :D And an important truth.

Can't miss out on the next episode, wisely titles "Bust Size Discrimination".

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

This show just screams idiocy. Thank goodness I'm not watching it.

I guess I should get started on watching this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'll get on it after I finish the OVA of Battle Athletes.
Now why would you go and do that? lol

Oh yeah, you (or someone) should check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fight!_Iczer_One
I have no idea what it is, but I have a tape of it. Wikipedia has it as a horror mecha yuri though. :p

45.6%

Marriage counseling!
You need to watch more slice of life. Then again, opposites attract or whatever. :lol

You're a terrible husbando, and not fit for my fellow Rose Council member. :p
Rum raisin for everyone!

You saying shounen jump stuff has bad writing!?

His statement was baffling considering Barrage, Naruto, and Bakuman have some of the best writing in manga, comparable to such masterpieces as Kodansha's Fairy Tail. If JRPGs are comparable to this quality, then they are really greatly written stories such as that of Golden Sun and The Lost Age, Star Ocean 4 The Last Hope, and Eternal Sonata.

survivor

Banned
His statement was baffling considering Barrage, Naruto, and Bakuman have some of the best writing in manga, comparable to such masterpieces as Kodansha's Fairy Tail. If JRPGs are comparable to this quality, then they are really greatly written stories such as that of Golden Sun and The Lost Age, Star Ocean 4 The Last Hope, and Eternal Sonata.

Isn't it a bit too early to start the Barrage hype? We are just at the 10 chapters point and they haven't even fully shown the universe or explained the powers system.

Flashing Milky Holmes II 05

9KVo9.gif

That can't be good for the sauce.

An average episode. For an episode about flashing I would have expected more Twenty action.

One world: Sasuke Uchiha.
But seriously, why i don't doubt there are probably... few decent manga on jump i really can't consider the shounen jump average manga on par with manga like Bokurano or Mushishi. (to name a few)

Yeah, bad writing exists in Jump like Bleach, Dragonball and Naruto, but good writing exists there too like One Piece, Beelzebub, Hunter x Hunter, etc.

I think you may have a somewhat insular view of the term "bad writing". That isn't to say you're wrong because everyone defines it differently. Sometimes it just comes down to not contradicting yourself and accomplishing what the writer sets out to do (and no, I don't mean the writer setting out to have "bad writing). Sometimes it's just what someone finds compelling and consistency doesn't come into the mix. Depth does not necessarily imply good writing and the lack of depth doesn't necessarily imply bad writing.

Look at 999, a visual novel/adventure game praised on the gaming side for its writing. But if you actually play it all the way through, you'll notice a ton of convolution and plot points that don't make sense no matter how much you think about them. Yet it's still highly regarded. Why is that? Does it come down to execution? Is it the fact it's thought-provoking? Either way, this kind of thing is going to vary from person to person.

Also, I don't think Bokurano is a very good example here. That has a ton of shoddy writing.

cajunator

Banned
Now why would you go and do that? lol

Oh yeah, you (or someone) should check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fight!_Iczer_One
I have no idea what it is, but I have a tape of it. Wikipedia has it as a horror mecha yuri though. :p

You need to watch more slice of life. Then again, opposites attract or whatever. :lol

Rum raisin for everyone!

Iczer is good, but stay away from Iczelion because it has a whiny bitch named Nagisa

Although the rest of the characters are awesome and lovely.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

Taruranto

Yeah, bad writing exists in Jump like Bleach, Dragonball and Naruto, but good writing exists there too like One Piece, Beelzebub, Hunter x Hunter, etc.

I think you may have a somewhat insular view of the term "bad writing". That isn't to say you're wrong because everyone defines it differently. Sometimes it just comes down to not contradicting yourself and accomplishing what the writer sets out to do (and no, I don't mean the writer setting out to have "bad writing). Sometimes it's just what someone finds compelling and consistency doesn't come into the mix. Depth does not necessarily imply good writing and the lack of depth doesn't necessarily imply bad writing.

Look at 999, a visual novel/adventure game praised on the gaming side for its writing. But if you actually play it all the way through, you'll notice a ton of convolution and plot points that don't make sense no matter how much you think about them. Yet it's still highly regarded. Why is that? Does it come down to execution? Is it the fact it's thought-provoking? Either way, this kind of thing is going to vary from person to person.

Also, I don't think Bokurano is a very good example here. That has a ton of shoddy writing.

Opinions, i consider stuffs like Beelzebub nothing but your average shounen fanfare.

I'm rather curious to see what your problem with Bokurano writing and story is, if you don't mind.

Bloody Hell, what!?

wonzo

Banned
But seriously, why i don't doubt there are probably... few decent manga on jump i really can't consider the shounen jump average manga on par with manga like Bokurano or Mushishi. (to name a few)
i don't see how one bad character from a bad manga's indicative of the overall quality of a publication's lineup as a whole

Opinions, i consider stuffs like Beelzebub nothing but your average shounen fanfare.

I'm rather curious to see what your problem with Bokurano writing and story is, if you don't mind.

Diablos ex machina, something Kitoh is good at. I love the guy and his work, but he makes bad situations worse in a way that makes it seem really contrived. Like
the pilot dude suicide bombing one of the enemy mechs, leaving another spot open.

Jarmel

Banned

This must be a joke.

Jintor

I think it's in execution and how compelling it is at the time that you're reading it. For example, with regards to 999, my brain actively shuts down if I try to analyse it properly because it'll probably wreck the magic.

Also I fucking hate
trying to work out time-related bullshit

Gundam Seed HD Remaster 21
tumblr_m7osy2SN3I1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Hone your soul, Gundam. Nice fight scene on the red sea, which seemed to have a better looking scenes then usual, which I guess means they finally decided to focus on touching up mobile fight scenes. Unfortunately they still continued the tradition of saying acronyms and not defining them, like GOOhNs...Kira was great and Athrun screentime, and for canon pairing which I guess means theres romance, Cagalli is definitely better than Flay.

Also there was a bit of an unquality moment, it was like all out of focus and blurry and just ugly and the water was quite not good, but at least there was a dolphin.
tumblr_m7osr9dmXz1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_m7orxrWHa01qbxqfpo1_500.png

Gintamen

You are naming some of the best manga from Afternoon and Ikki there, do you realize what you have written there? That the average WSJ manga isn't as good as the top of other magazines... you must be a detective for coming to such a conclusion. Hey Vinland Saga or BotI aren't on the same level as the average WSJ manga too.

fertygo

I what?

Araki Hirohiko say hi bro.

I think it's in execution and how compelling it is at the time that you're reading it. For example, with regards to 999, my brain actively shuts down if I try to analyse it properly because it'll probably wreck the magic.

Also I fucking hate
trying to work out time-related bullshit

See, this is another thing. Sometimes people write off stuff as being bad in retrospect. I justify liking Heavy Rain because it's a damn intense experience the first time through, plot holes be damned!

Again, something that will vary from person to person.

fertygo

Good writing isn't mean gonna automatically make something interesting/compelling too.

I can't think any example, but you get it.

Araki Hirohiko say hi bro.

Honestly, I wouldn't count Jojo among the better written stuff in Jump. Araki contradicts himself nonstop, forgets plot points, makes up shit as he goes along, etc. The writing in battles, on the other hand, is fantastic. That's why I consider it god-tier shounen despite the problems with the plot.

survivor

Banned
You are naming some of the best manga from Afternoon and Ikki there, do you realize what you have written there? That the average WSJ manga isn't as good as the top of other magazines... you must be a detective for coming to such a conclusion. Hey Vinland Saga or BotI aren't on the same level as the average WSJ manga too.

Ikki has such high amount of classy manga, I really wish Viz would release their titles faster.

I think Beelzebub is slightly above average. It doesn't try to be as serious as other WSJ titles and fail like Naruto and it's usually pretty funny when it's not trying to be battle shounen

fertygo

Honestly, I wouldn't count Jojo among the better written stuff in Jump. Araki contradicts himself nonstop, forgets plot points, makes up shit as he goes along, etc. The writing in battles, on the other hand, is fantastic. That's why I consider it god-tier shounen despite the problems with the plot.

Considering 90% of the writing is the fighting/power level stuff, Its not any different for me lol. He's damn good at it, and very consistent with his point (unless for the last power-up lol)

I agree there is nothing even like FMA in WSJ, their system make its hard to make good writing.

duckroll

S8a4j.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom