• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caesnd

Just start from ep12. :)

I still don't see what's so special about it honestly. Although I do admit that watching people react to Chitandas unique inquisitive nature is pretty funny, if nothing else than that it's so surreal, in the way that those scenes are done.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Maybe. Be warned that the middle is a lot like Kaleido Star S2: a silly, really simple conflict gets dragged on for 5-6 episodes straight. The Freesia/Yubei stuff and the Umakoshi action is really good, though.
I just wanna see cute yuri girls doing cute yuri things. :|

El Sloth

Banned
Nakama.

As a Yozora fan I approve. I hate meat.
iN7fD.png

True story.

Dresden

I still don't see what's so special about it honestly. Although I do admit that watching people react to Chitandas unique inquisitive nature is pretty funny, if nothing else than that it's so surreal, in the way that those scenes are done.

A change of pace, accompanied by sharp direction and writing, in a shift away from the norm. (The norm being boring.)

It's just really good.

sleepykyo

You don't think there's already enough?

Considering how temporary nature of yuri? Never.

eg. Lagrange ep. 3 takes off the googles fairly shortly. Aoi Hana - the older cousin gets married. Natsu no Arashi - Kayo's reason for only bonding with females smashes those googles.

Yaoi, on the other hand, is for life. Sakura's older brother? That's for life and across dimensions. World's Greatest First Love? Adults and still loving their own gender.

edit: Speaking of which, does World's First Love get better after the bookstore arc? Most of the stuff was fine, but the bookstore one is kind of a downer. I much prefer cheesy Artist love triangle or the ridiculous main triangle.

Narag

Silent Möbius

Just going to steal ANN's synopsis since I'm tired and since it's not spoilerific.

In a futuristic Tokyo, several policewomen fight a monster. One of them, Katsumi Liqueur, remembers where she saw it before... Katsumi Liqueur, an American-born woman of Japanese descent, travels to Tokyo to visit her mother, Fuyuka, who is sick in the hospital. She takes a shortcut through an alley after her taxi gets stuck in traffic, only to encounter a monster and two policewomen fighting it. Later, she meets their chief, Rally Cheyenne, who, it seems, has been expecting her, though Katsumi has never met her before. The policewomen want Katsumi to help them fight the monster, but Katsumi, who does not want to believe in magic, resists.

My first exposure to this dates back to the old awesome Orion Home Video anime preview video and so it's been in the back of my mind to check this out forever. I wasn't sure what to expect going into it but ended up getting a serviceable product. This 1991 movie is based on the manga of the same name per the usual and I've no idea what part of it was adapted here if any but the story presented is thankfully self-contained although there's some inference for the audience to conduct as to why certain things are the way they are in the period between the flashback and the present time. The score is nicely varied and the mechanical animation is great but sometimes the faces would get a little derpy which was bothersome. It's not to say it affected the work as a whole but it did get distracting. I did enjoy the mystical contrast against the backdrop of a sci-fi setting and thought that much worked nicely too.. I enjoyed it in the end but it's very much an early 90s movie and it never really breaks that mold.

cajunator

Banned
Silent Möbius

Just going to steal ANN's synopsis since I'm tired and since it's not spoilerific.

My first exposure to this dates back to the old awesome Orion Home Video anime preview video and so it's been in the back of my mind to check this out forever. I wasn't sure what to expect going into it but ended up getting a serviceable product. This 1991 movie is based on the manga of the same name per the usual and I've no idea what part of it was adapted here if any but the story presented is thankfully self-contained although there's some inference for the audience to conduct as to why certain things are the way they are in the period between the flashback and the present time. The score is nicely varied and the mechanical animation is great but sometimes the faces would get a little derpy which was bothersome. It's not to say it affected the work as a whole but it did get distracting. I did enjoy the mystical contrast against the backdrop of a sci-fi setting and thought that much worked nicely too.. I enjoyed it in the end but it's very much an early 90s movie and it never really breaks that mold.

I wanna see what you think of Iczelion.
Should be interesting.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Revolutionary Girl Utena 3

Literally all the girls in the school love Utena and she just wants a normal boy. SDBurton does not approve.

This episode starts off with the most dramatic "Don't touch my hair" scene ever and Anthy being abused (again). I guess she's the perfect girl for Prince Utena to protect. And... That was the whole point of this episode.

Evil imoutos FTL.

Mhmm.

And this dude is totally obsessed. Look at that expression. Can't say I blame him, though. Utena's the real deal.

BluWacky

Really? REALLY?

If anything we need more yaoi to even it out.

What we actually need are shows that aren't locked into the tropes of either BL or yuri but instead can present homosexual relationships in a vaguely sensible fashion. Like Aoi Hana! Or Antique Bakery!
or Utena, because all homosexual relationships inevitably involve metaphorical-or-is-it stabbing! i am joking

Caesnd

A change of pace, accompanied by sharp direction and writing, in a shift away from the norm. (The norm being boring.)

It's just really good.

I actually agree with all your points, but for some reason I can't seem to get into it as some others here. Not that I've ever been that much into the sort of series that Hyouka steers away from anyway. Perhaps my soul will return to me some day, so that I can appreciate and enjoy it to its full extent :(

Hakuouki Reimeiroku 3
tumblr_m7pf1knFuC1qfv2xro6_r1_500.gif

Shinpachi, Heisuke, Ryuunosuke are probably the best characters, even if they are all just there for laughs and such and I guess Shinpachi and Heisuke actually do have some sort of skills, since Ryuunosuke seems unable to do much of anything. Though I hope he continues to enjoy his time with everyone and finds a place to belong here since he continues to say that "its not like I want to be here or anything" line, though clearly does like keeping the peace.

Souji is interesting too.
I dont understand why he wants to kill so much. Serizawa is bad but even he doesnt seem to want to actually kill other people. Hopefully the others can help him stay on the right path. The rules proposed were also insane and strict, I wonder how they will be undermined and enforced.

Saito's and Ryunnosukes best moment, as well as Shinpachi's and Ryuunosukes best moments were both hilarious.

cajunator

Banned
What we actually need are shows that aren't locked into the tropes of either BL or yuri but instead can present homosexual relationships in a vaguely sensible fashion. Like Aoi Hana! Or Antique Bakery!
or Utena, because all homosexual relationships inevitably involve metaphorical-or-is-it stabbing! i am joking

Doesn't gravitation take BL somwhat seriously?
Im trying to think of serious yuri shows...

7Th

Ano Hana is tropey as hell, though. Then again, there is very little more formulaic than yuri manga

BluWacky

Ano Hana is tropey as hell, though. Then again, there is very little more formulaic than yuri manga

I couldn't actually think of a Yuri story that wasn't super tropey. I just wanted to pick something with a little bit of dignity rather than just OMG WOMEN BE KISSING AND MAKING VAGUE SEX NOISES.

I mean, Antique Bakery is hardly unstereotypical, but at least it has actual gay men with adult love/sex lives and jobs (and a lot of delicious cake) alongside its straight characters and their personalities aren't defined by their positions while screwing.

Firemind

I couldn't actually think of a Yuri story that wasn't super tropey. I just wanted to pick something with a little bit of dignity rather than just OMG WOMEN BE KISSING AND MAKING VAGUE SEX NOISES.

I mean, Antique Bakery is hardly unstereotypical, but at least it has actual gay men with adult love/sex lives and jobs (and a lot of delicious cake) alongside its straight characters and their personalities aren't defined by their positions while screwing.

Candy Boy? Unless lesbian twins are considered to be stereotypes.

trejo

Nagareboshi Lens OVA

lIciW.jpg

Pretty much, yeah.

With a runtime of only around 18 minutes I figured why not? But holy balls this is shoujo as fuck. Add to that Kana Hnngazawa reciting some of the sappiest lines you can think of and now I need to watch some MANime to balance this out somehow.

Some of the hand-drawn backgrounds were nice to look at. Whenever they bothered to show up, that is.

Computer Kakumei OVA

x3rZ2.jpg

I bet this guy passed HER Turing test!

A really short 10-minute OVA with a slight touch of :firehawk and a connection to actual events for dat real world cred that attempts to inform us how awesome the future's gonna be, not to mention hella colorful and kawaii.

I, for one, can't wait for the inevitable cute robot uprising.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom