• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yuru Yuri S2 - 01

Now this is how you start off a season! Amazing!

So many worthy screenshots in this ep. So many!

Anime. Of. The. Season.

Seriously. This was an even better opening than series 1. Of course they had the advantage of not needing to introduce the characters, but from the get go you knew they meant business. Seriously hope the quality of the whole series is up to this standard.

I'll see how this avatars works for now.

survivor

Banned
Yuru Yuri S2 - 01

NLJyj.png

My garden of maidens. GIVEN LIFE!

Now this is how you start off a season! Amazing!

So many worthy screenshots in this ep. So many!

Anime. Of. The. Season.

Yeah there was a lot of screenshot worthy moments in this episode, I didn't know which one to pick.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Seriously. This was an even better opening than series 1. Of course they had the advantage of not needing to introduce the characters, but from the get go you knew they meant business. Seriously hope the quality of the whole series is up to this standard.

I'll see how this avatars works for now.

Seriously. If they keep it up like this it will easily make my top 10.

If you have a Chinatsu chibi avy like yours I'll forever be in your debt.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tari Tari
shIPvl.jpg

When you start the show like this, it's like a siren song for me. I can even see exactly how the show will end at this point.

The show itself is mostly inoffensive so far, unlike last season's Natsuiro Kiseki which offended based on its blandness and writing. You introduce a conflict, the characters, the setting, and you're ready to go.

I suppose the fact that people keep talking about how this is apparently some kind of Ohana ripoff that the preview at the end reminded me of how that show used to do previews - a mishmash of random lines from the next episode cut together in quick succession.

I was already in before the show aired, so there was really nothing the show could have done to get me to hate it outside of
being set in Tokyo
. :p

Jex

[Tari Tari] - 1

TariTari1.jpg

Tari Tari is the latest series from Progressive Anime Works (yes, that is their full title). You may already know it as 'that show that looks like Hansaku Iroha'. It's quite understanable why such a comparison would arise - both shows feature very similar looking character designs, a very similar colour, similar background art and that classic PA works soft-lighting that fills every scene.

However, beyond the visual similarities these shows seem to be quite different. Hansaku Iroha really was about running an inn, where as this shows focus is clearly on teenagers in school. I can practically hear your groans from here - another show about teenagers in highschool? I am afraid so. I was extremely resilient to the idea at first because I think we've all seen too many shows cover this ground. However, this show eventually won me over.

Unlike Hansaku Iroha which was focused largely on Ohana this shows does a good job of introducing us to a wide range of non-stereotypes right off the bat. The cast doesn't solely consist of 'the shy gir', 'the genki gir' and 'the tsundere'. Instead we're treated to a wide range of people who aren't as easily categorised as usual. Now, this shouldn't be a massive deal but frankly, for anime, this is quite impressive. Everyone feels fairly natural and likeable at this point in time and I didn't have to shout at the screen once, so that's a very good thing indeed.

However, unlike Hanasaku Iroha the direction and editing isn't nearly as tight. It's not bad, per see, it's just unremarkable. Luckily the actual strength of the cast manage to pull through this episode.

Ultimadrago

AKB0048 10

1qhAM.jpg

Well between (You might not want to view this at work, NSFW just in case, etc)all of that there was some further delving into the mysterious back stage of AKB regarding Acchan. I also learned that the Kirara love yuri intentions.

Anyways, here's hoping for more craziness next time
and no, swollen, actual jellyfish stung breasts don't count

firehawk12

Subete no aware
[Tari Tari] - 1

Unlike Hansaku Iroha which was focused largely on Ohana this shows does a good job of introducing us to a wide range of non-stereotypes right off the bat. The cast doesn't solely consist of 'the shy gir', 'the genki gir' and 'the tsundere'. Instead we're treated to a wide range of people who aren't as easily categorised as usual. Now, this shouldn't be a massive deal but frankly, for anime, this is quite impressive. Everyone feels fairly natural and likeable at this point in time and I didn't have to shout at the screen once, so that's a very good thing indeed.

Err, one of the characters actually categorizes what seem to be the two leads precisely in this manner. :p

Jex

Anyway, it's only been one episode so I wasn't drawing any serious inferences. It could be MELODRAMA next week for all I know.

Narag

Time Jam: Valerian & Laureline 2

Aesthetic of Central Point was really great. Not much time was spent in the different settings there but it was enough to make it feel like a busy urban environment. It looks like the foundation has been set for more episodic adventures as Valerian & Laureline found themselves established in Central Point thanks to the guy they helped out.

Valerian being a smug asshole.

Their space suits are part of the old school charm the show is rife with.

If there's one thing to criticize, there's some seriously poor choices with visual effects.

jman2050

Yuru Yuri 9

Not really feeling this episode. Lots of talky talk but not much funny. On the other hand...

Yuru Yuri 10

22 straight minutes of Kyoko acting more like a total spaz than usual? Sign me up plz.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita

KSNmMl.jpg

1QD41l.jpg

I have no idea what this show is about or if I even like it, but I did laugh several times over the course of the episode. Certainly, it seems like it should be satire anyway.

e_i

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita Episode 1

Wow...Ritalin and crack at the same time. I think Miss watashi looks better with short hair.
Oh, and we "skin" chickens now?

Narag

Sailor Moon SuperS 130

Amazon Trio picking victims over drinks at a bar fulfills my need for villain interaction. That target was some bullshit though. Really dig the One-Two-Three thing too. It's weird but fitting for the enemies and that mirror is so damn invasive.
Dat Pink Sugar Heart Attack lmao

Makoto

The End of Evangelion (First 3 Minutes)

You all already know what I'm going to talk about.

So here I am, about to watch End of Evangelion because despite my loathing of the initial 24 episodes of the TV series, the final two episodes (as preachy as they were) actually left a taste in my mouth that didn't reek of poopoo.

I decide, "Hey, let me take a spin with this movie with the English dub since I watched the TV series with the original VA." So I'm watching it and Shinji is standing there, trying to wake up Asuka. No problem. He's shaking her. No problem. Her robe reveals her chest. No problem. Then some breathing. And to me, the dub makes it sound like Shinji is about to start whimpering. No problem either as this is not out of the realm of possibility when it comes to Mr. Ikari.

Then in the next shot, I see what's in his hand.

I dash for the internet, desperate to confirm that I didn't see what I thought I just saw. And lo and behold, Shinji did what I just saw. I'm stunned and despite my new found observation being fact, I still didn't believe it. So I changed the audio track to the Japanese and it makes even more sense because of his increased breathing second-by-second.

So I get up and I start pacing. I feel like Roger Ebert after watching Pulp Fiction. This is either the best thing I've seen Shinji do in this effing series or the worst thing. Contrary to Ebert's conclusion on Pulp Fiction, I declared that this was, in fact, the worst thing Shinji has done. But there's a redeeming trait about that in the grand scheme of the movie. It's the sign of a pathetic boy becoming more pathetic. Very much in line with the final episodes of the TV series. I brace myself and press play. This is truly the End of Evangelion.

The End of Evangelion (The Rest)

That was a whole lot of movie for something that didn't really need to be
regurgitated. Between people blowing up into LCL Tang and the goddess Rei showing off her goods to the world, that was a lot of pretty images for what was essentially Shinji's repeat rejection of instrumentality. Then I started laughing at the live-action portion while the movie lectured on about existentialism and self-worth once more.
So between this and Yuru Yuri S2 1, it's been a nice day for comedic anime.

That being said, there must have been subliminal messages up the wazoo present in the TV series and movie. I do not regret watching EoE in the slightest. And I also have a desire to watch Rebuild, which I'm sure I'll loathe but still eagerly look forward to the final two because DEEP down in my heart, I actually really like Evangelion, but the mech-critic inside me doesn't want to admit it. Either that or it's because I love Asuka that much.

The End of Evangelion (First 3 Minutes)

You all already know what I'm going to talk about.

So here I am, about to watch End of Evangelion because despite my loathing of the initial 24 episodes of the TV series, the final two episodes (as preachy as they were) actually left a taste in my mouth that didn't reek of poopoo.

I decide, "Hey, let me take a spin with this movie with the English dub since I watched the TV series with the original VA." So I'm watching it and Shinji is standing there, trying to wake up Asuka. No problem. He's shaking her. No problem. Her robe reveals her chest. No problem. Then some breathing. And to me, the dub makes it sound like Shinji is about to start whimpering. No problem either as this is not out of the realm of possibility when it comes to Mr. Ikari.

Then in the next shot, I see what's in his hand.

I dash for the internet, desperate to confirm that I didn't see what I thought I just saw. And lo and behold, Shinji did what I just saw. I'm stunned and despite my new found observation being fact, I still didn't believe it. So I changed the audio track to the Japanese and it makes even more sense because of his increased breathing second-by-second.

So I get up and I start pacing. I feel like Roger Ebert after watching Pulp Fiction. This is either the best thing I've seen Shinji do in this effing series or the worst thing. Contrary to Ebert's conclusion on Pulp Fiction, I declared that this was, in fact, the worst thing Shinji has done. But there's a redeeming trait about that in the grand scheme of the movie. It's the sign of a pathetic boy becoming more pathetic. Very much in line with the final episodes of the TV series. I brace myself and press play. This is truly the End of Evangelion.

The End of Evangelion (The Rest)

That was a whole lot of movie for something that didn't really need to be regurgitated. Between
people blowing up into LCL Tang and the goddess Rei showing off her goods to the world, that was a lot of pretty images for what was essentially Shinji's repeat rejection of instrumentality. Then I started laughing at the live-action portion while the movie lectured on about existentialism and self-worth once more.
So between this and Yuru Yuri S2 1, it's been a nice day for comedic anime.

That being said, there must have been subliminal messages up the wazoo present in the TV series and movie. I do not regret watching EoE in the slightest. And I also have a desire to watch Rebuild, which I'm sure I'll loathe but still eagerly look forward to the final two because DEEP down in my heart, I actually really like Evangelion, but the mech-critic inside me doesn't want to admit it. Either that or it's because I love Asuka that much.

Usually the Asuka
'death' shocks everyone. Poor lass goes through hell, to end up with Shinji. How did you like the last scenes? The "How disgustin/I feel sick" line is always fun to discuss

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If you have a Chinatsu chibi avy like yours I'll forever be in your debt.

53db9.png

It's from the series 1 title card, since this episode only had Akari. If there's another title card with China on it next week I could make that into an avatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom