• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Haly gave me a bunch of shows to watch, and then told me Eureka 7 is bad.

I should stop listening to him, right?

qcf x2

FYlEm.jpg

I miss that guy.

what is a bakyu~n

"bang"

Instro

Tari Tari 1

That was pretty enjoyable. The two main girls seem genki and tsundere respectively, but otherwise the rest of the cast seem suitably different from the norm. It's hard to get a feel for how well they will mesh together, but they seem like a good crew. As Jexhius mentioned there's a rather natural element to them. Gaijin guy seems like a cool fellow, I like him. It's got the usual PA Works look as well, although there's something about the visuals that is bugging me that didn't bother me in Iroha. It seems like in this there is a larger amount of purely CG objects rather than hand drawn ones or something. Or maybe its just that the show isn't as animated as Iroha was.

Anyway, this seems like a solid show to stick with this season. Is it 1 or 2 cour?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
53db9.png

It's from the series 1 title card, since this episode only had Akari. If there's another title card with China on it next week I could make that into an avatar.

YES! I would appreciate it if you do when that happens.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The End of Evangelion (First 3 Minutes)

You all already know what I'm going to talk about.

So here I am, about to watch End of Evangelion because despite my loathing of the initial 24 episodes of the TV series, the final two episodes (as preachy as they were) actually left a taste in my mouth that didn't reek of poopoo.

I decide, "Hey, let me take a spin with this movie with the English dub since I watched the TV series with the original VA." So I'm watching it and Shinji is standing there, trying to wake up Asuka. No problem. He's shaking her. No problem. Her robe reveals her chest. No problem. Then some breathing. And to me, the dub makes it sound like Shinji is about to start whimpering. No problem either as this is not out of the realm of possibility when it comes to Mr. Ikari.

Then in the next shot, I see what's in his hand.

I dash for the internet, desperate to confirm that I didn't see what I thought I just saw. And lo and behold, Shinji did what I just saw. I'm stunned and despite my new found observation being fact, I still didn't believe it. So I changed the audio track to the Japanese and it makes even more sense because of his increased breathing second-by-second.

So I get up and I start pacing. I feel like Roger Ebert after watching Pulp Fiction. This is either the best thing I've seen Shinji do in this effing series or the worst thing. Contrary to Ebert's conclusion on Pulp Fiction, I declared that this was, in fact, the worst thing Shinji has done. But there's a redeeming trait about that in the grand scheme of the movie. It's the sign of a pathetic boy becoming more pathetic. Very much in line with the final episodes of the TV series. I brace myself and press play. This is truly the End of Evangelion.

The End of Evangelion (The Rest)

That was a whole lot of movie for something that didn't really need to be
regurgitated. Between people blowing up into LCL Tang and the goddess Rei showing off her goods to the world, that was a lot of pretty images for what was essentially Shinji's repeat rejection of instrumentality. Then I started laughing at the live-action portion while the movie lectured on about existentialism and self-worth once more.
So between this and Yuru Yuri S2 1, it's been a nice day for comedic anime.

That being said, there must have been subliminal messages up the wazoo present in the TV series and movie. I do not regret watching EoE in the slightest. And I also have a desire to watch Rebuild, which I'm sure I'll loathe but still eagerly look forward to the final two because DEEP down in my heart, I actually really like Evangelion, but the mech-critic inside me doesn't want to admit it. Either that or it's because I love Asuka that much.

Find the cut live action scene from the movie and watch it!

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yetaDgjpSS4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93V9Xv-m-XY

Amazing. lol

qcf x2

And I also have a desire to watch Rebuild, which I'm sure I'll loathe but still eagerly look forward to the final two because DEEP down in my heart, I actually really like Evangelion, but the mech-critic inside me doesn't want to admit it. Either that or it's because I love Asuka that much.

The recent Eva movies are worth seeing, thus far. Especially the second.

(Asuka > Misato > > Rei)

Defuser

Tari Tari 1
It's got the usual PA Works look as well, although there's something about the visuals that is bugging me that didn't bother me in Iroha. It seems like in this there is a larger amount of purely CG objects rather than hand drawn ones or something. Or maybe its just that the show isn't as animated as Iroha was.

Yeah, that's what bugging me too. The whole thing just feel off.

Iroha this, Iroha that. PA Works still hasn't bested their first production: True Tears.

Damn straight. Hiromi ftw , fuck Aiko and fuck Noe.

Uchip

Banned
Haly gave me a bunch of shows to watch, and then told me Eureka 7 is bad.

I should stop listening to him, right?

depends if he meant the new one or the old one
the original is great
anime wishes it had the originality and soul of E7

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
While you're at it stop listening to Femmeworth. You can trust me though! :D

The light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you sir.

depends if he meant the new one or the old one
the original is great

I'm still waiting for him to clarify. I'm referring to the original as I have only watched the first episode of Ao so far.

jman2050

Yuru Yuri 11

A sobering look at what this show would be like without its main character. Fortunately Kyoko got back to normal so crisis averted!

Yuru Yuri 12

That was exceptionally absurd, especially for this show. Chitose and her sister are still terrible characters but they cut down on that shit as the show went along, so I guess it's alright.

Ending was pretty hilarious. I'm just glad every single person there got out in time!

I guess I can now watch episode 1, see how the silly adventures of our three Amusement Club members continues.

Calling E7 bad is a bit unfair, it's certainly a lot better than most of the crap out there. Er, that didn't come out right. The point is it's not a bad series.

The Sacred Blacksmith 10
nm4EO.png

I miss you smiling faces...
Looks like it's no longer fun and games over at the Luke household. The death of the lightning demon sword
Elesa
would have probably held more weight if they didn't introduce them just in the last episode. At the end with the reveal of who the cloaked Man in Black and what Lisa is, the show is gearing up for the grand finale. It will be interesting going forward.
Oh and Cecily being competent is great. The show should have started more like this.

You probably missed it when cosmic watched it for the first time and raged hard. It was fun.
How could he hate it? It even has "Shounen Haato" as one of the OPs!
Here's a duckroll approved list of people to listen to in no particular order:

Instro
Jexhius
hosannainexcelsis
Articalys
Mad Pierrot
Lafiel
Dresden
Articalys doesn't want to watch Avatar: The Last Airbender. He deserves no such approval!

Lain

Queen's Blade Rebellion 12

While I was hoping in something a bit more... resolutive, the end didn't disappoint and left it open for a nice sequel, which I hope will come.

Makoto

Usually the Asuka
'death' shocks everyone. Poor lass goes through hell, to end up with Shinji. How did you like the last scenes? The "How disgustin/I feel sick" line is always fun to discuss
I'm in total agreement with Asuka. The subtitles I saw had her saying, "How disgusting." Though in retrospect, I think "I feel sick," would have been just a tiny, tiny bit more fitting for the sole benefit of just sticking it to Shinji because I hate him.

Find the cut live action scene from the movie and watch it!

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yetaDgjpSS4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93V9Xv-m-XY

Amazing. lol
Oh wow.

That was supposed to Asuka at the end, as played by her voice actress? uuuuhhhh lol.
That's an odd thing to film, as fitting as it is for the theme of Evangelion. Imprudent shifts in atmosphere all around had it been put in the film.

The recent Eva movies are worth seeing, thus far. Especially the second.

(Asuka > Misato > > Rei)
Will do and I agree with what's in parenthesis.

Yuru Yuri S2 1
"Why can't I hold all these giggles" was basically my experience with this episode's Part A and some of Part B.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm in total agreement with Asuka. The subtitles I saw had her saying, "How disgusting." Though in retrospect, I think "I feel sick," would have been just a tiny, tiny bit more fitting for the sole benefit of just sticking it to Shinji because I hate him.

Oh wow.

That was supposed to Asuka at the end, as played by her voice actress? uuuuhhhh lol.
That's an odd thing to film, as fitting as it is for theme of Evangelion. Imprudent shifts in atmosphere all around had it been put in the film.

All the character in that segment were played by their respective voice actors, iirc. Even the "NTR" scene at the beginning, if I'm remembering that right. lol

Queen's Blade Rebellion 12

While I was hoping in something a bit more... resolutive, the end didn't disappoint and left it open for a nice sequel, which I hope will come.

I hope so too.
Never mind the fact I still haven't finished the first series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom