• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go_Ly_Dow

Hana Kimi 1

Based on the super popular shoujo manga (also titled Hana Kimi), this is a classic tale of love, drama, and plenty of comedy.

Ashiya Mizuki, the main character, decides to crossdress and join a boys only highschool to follow her beloved. of course, the reasons why are a lot more complicated than just love.
sports, injury, rapists, drama, etc, etc

The important part of all this so far is that

A. She's a girl

B. She's at a boys only Highschool

C. the school is filled with colorful personalities

Hijinks are bound to ensue.

Also of importance is that everyone attending the school has to live in the school dorms, which is divided into three houses, each with it's own style.

Upon arriving, Ashiya naturally chooses the dorm of her beloved (who's named Sano, for future reference), and joins the second one. Probably a good choice, considering how extra insane the other two are. Of course, she ends up being Sano's room mate.

Ashiya is also an exceptionally fast runner, which is what the the first episode is about. As standard protocol for any anime featuring a boy's highschool, there are naturally regular competitions between the dorms, with varying prizes for the winners.

Ok, that's enough boring summary that isn't doing that great a job of getting anyone interested in this, now on to the fun parts.

The characters are all very funny and distinctive, the three dorm leaders all have varying amounts of influence over their respective underlings.

Since practically every character in Ashiya's class is named and given a few standard character traits,
there's the gay guy, the pale psychic guy, the flamboyant drama club guys, the troop of martial artists, Sano fills the male tsundere role, the conflicted-about-feelings-for-main-character guy, and so on
I'll just skip going over them, it would take to much effort. The important part is that Sano is clearly tsundere.

Of course, there's also the female counterpart school, complete with bitchy female leader who will be ashiya's rival and fail spectacularly, and her cohort of underlings.

Somehow that ending up being more summary, but I don't care, let's move on, it's not like anyone is going to read this anyway.

Ashiya's hazing upon entering the classroom was great, complete with CG balls and falling washpans reminiscent of NISA's Prinnies, they even managed to fit in the "you've got no boobs" moment in the first few minutes of the series, they're clearly going all out on this.

How hard is it to get fake blood? It looked like they realized 2 minutes before the shoot, "Damn, we forgot to pick up fake blood from walmart, quick director-san, let's use your extra hotsauce".

As is requisite for these kinds of shows,
the doctor finds out that she's a girl! How will it end? Will be she be expelled on only the second episode? Of course not, I already know that much.

There's quite a few comparisons that could be made between this and Ouran Host Club, both featuring short haired cute girls masquerading as cute guys, albeit for very different reasons. The humor also seems quite similar to me, the washpan moment really did feel like it could have come straight out of Ouran.

Well, it sounds pretty dull the way I've put it, but it was really quite fun, stilted acting and soap-opera tier camerawork and all.

excellent write up. everyone should check this show out. just so fun!

Jexhius should switch back to his Kirino avatar and post in that Atelier thread.

you called?

vVusk.jpg

Dresden

natsuyuki rendezvous - 05

see

it's a good thing that both Hazuki and Shimao are learning to empathize with the other

because when the inevitable happens

the sadness will be more profound

QPDqz.jpg

so far

she's all getting cornered and shit

Shimao can't connect with his waifu ;_;

wonzo

Banned
LOGH 15

WHOA. This episode was absolutely incredible. Everything from the great animation and background work to the engaging back-and-forth strategy and Dvorak's Symphony No. 9 were all put together so masterfully I was literally stunned with awe. Holy shit.

logh15e.jpg
logh15f.jpg

Rinehard certainly doesn't fuck around.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
LOGH 15

WHOA. This episode was absolutely incredible. Everything from the great animation and background work to the engaging back-and-forth strategy and Dvorak's Symphony No. 9 were all put together so masterfully I was literally stunned with awe. Holy shit.

This reads like a DTL post.

cajunator

Banned
Bandai tends to fuck up a lot of things by my experience.
Geneon fucked up very little. Both of them are out of the US market and they took very different creative paths to get there :(

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Bandai tends to fuck up a lot of things by my experience.
Geneon fucked up very little. Both of them are out of the US market and they took very different creative paths to get there :(

Sadly I think what really killed Geneon USA was the music division. I think that's why the talks between ADV and Geneon broke down after they initially announced a partnership.

Thoraxes

Hayate no Gotoku! - 34

This episode, according to the show, features the True Japanese Culture Festival Experience!

Truly, something for everyone could be found at this one including a fierce doujinshi-writing competition!

cajunator

Banned
I stay ever vigilant.
On the constant lookout for Cute. It can come at any time and place. Manifesting hnngh and then disappearing quietly into the night. To miss such an event is a travesty worse than the befouling of a kingdom.

I believe Hitokage was referring to this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422808&highlight=avatars

A selection:
People who judge poster by their avatar only have missed the point of internet ...

If someone ignores you because of an anime avatar did you really want to converse with them?

NO ... their loss really .. I hope they keep this attitude IRl , for every hobby they don't like .. It must be funny living in their own world.

Gintama 25
Hot pot has been so violent.

Woo, season 3! New OP, which isn't as good as the first OP.

I do love the new ED.

The first of gintama Godly episodes ..those episodes that made gintama go from "very good" to " legendary " status IMO ..

LOGH 15

Be prepared for what comes at the end of season 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom