• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

uqyzP.png

Why didn't they ask Eba "What's wrong with your face?"

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Okay. Come on. Do yall think I'm really that stupid? Actually, don't answer that. Anyway, I wasn't being serious.

... Got like 40 pages to catch up on... gah.

Yuru Yuri S2 5

First segment was funny. Kyouko remains the best character. Sakurako and her little flavor of craziness has vaulted her up the standings this season. Wonder if she can keep this up.

I do take issue with the rather unorthodox decision of making the entire second segment a scenic look at an empty train station. Not sure what they were going for there.
Yeah, that sketch wasn't so good. The rest of the episode was great, but... Akari alone? Just didn't quite work, it got boring. The ending of the sketch was predictable, too.

Haibane Renmei 4

There not much to say about this episode. We get proper time between Kana and Rakka, as well as gain insight to Kana's passion while living in the run down Old Home. Kana shows herself to be the more "rough and tumble" Haibane from the Home though she has good intentions towards Rakka and wants her to get accustomed to the life they live.

I find myself wondering on probable conflicts that may arise in future episodes. Rakka
never did share that she had a crow "friend" in her birth dream, did she?
Heck, I was even wondering whether
the Old Home clock
would be of significance down the line because of its mark of previous curiosity in technological advancement. You know, the usual story. Anyways, my thoughts mirror the ones I had before. I don't find myself aggravated with the show, yet I wouldn't mind "something to happen." Not to greatly undermine character interaction with Rakka and humans from outside the Old Home, but an overarching event to actively keep me looking forward to the next week would add to the experience. It hasn't come yet, but once it does, I hope it's executed in an entertaining and thought-provoking fashion.
Haibane Renmei is of course one of the greatest tv anime series ever, but it's such a plot/character-driven series that it's hard to say much without spoilers I don't want to give... so yeah, just keep watching the show.

I'll catch up on the thread tomorrow, but...

Kannazuki no Miko 1 - 12

I have no idea why I did this.
Worst show I've ever seen. I want to die.
1/10

Oh, and for the new MAL users, add me.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Grzi

Good night.
1/10? Yeah, that sounds about right. But why didy ou keep watching it, after the start made it obvious what an atrocious series it is?

Also, I see 69.7% anime compatibility there... that's the highest number I've seen yet, even above the 69.1% I got with firehawk12.

Saki side A 7

STEALTH MOMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

boss team looks boss.
Yeah, Momo and Yumi's appearance was great. :)

And is it just me or does the 'main character' wears just a sweater and no pants?
You are correct, she wears only that sweatshirt and some shoes. Nothing else. It took you this long to notice? I guess that's Achiga-hen's somewhat less fanservicey tone at work, versus the main series.

Dog Days' 4

LqWWt.jpg

...yup. I am satisfied.
Good episode indeed, lots of fun. It was a haremey episode, but better than most such episodes in the first season. The insanely upbeat tone this season has held from the start continues too. Great stuff! :)

Sora no Woto - 01

Yeah, I think I'm gonna fall in love with this show.
It's one of the best.

Sora no Woto is super adorable squee happy funtime. During a war.
It's more than just that...

oda nobuna no yabou - 03

Probably the most progressive anime since ro-kyu-bu.

1huZ9.png
With praise such as that, makes me want to watch it today! (Not really)

Haibane Renmei is good stuff. you will discover a few answers to some of the mysteries, but it will also open up new ones, many of which are up to interpretation and how you imagine it to be. Its not a show that explain every little detail.
Indeed, and it's perfect exactly as it is.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Good thing it can be replaced by girls und panzer next season.

Nah, Pdot at least is going to have a Girls und Panzer avatar willingly so we won't be able to foist it on anyone as a joke. It has to be something that AnimeGAF universally deems beyond reproach.

Nanoha franchise post.
Nanoha 9

circles.jpg

So much magic circles <3

So from what i've seen so far, it does seem the movie hit most of the key plot points of this 'season'.

My opinion of this show is getting... a bit better over time. It's a lot better than it has any right to be.
You can't beat friendship-making via beam spam! So good... :)

Nanoha 13

So naturally nothing is resolved... and now Fate and nanoha are all bff?

Best friends are made through beam shooting at each other eh?

Anyhow overall show... SoL stuff is terrible everything else is kinda cool animation is kinda terrible too.

5/10 (average).

One of the rare instances where the movie adaption of a whole show is better because it cut out the crap.
Nanoha S1 is way better than average.

Nanoha A 3

That plot twist! It doesn't take a genius to realize that raging heart and the other one uses similar sound effects as the enemies stuff....

But man do i love magic tech.

And wtf why does only nanoha get completely naked when she henshins but not anyone else.

lore discrepancy.
The (first) Nanoha movie adds more nudity than the TV serieses ever had, which I found somewhat messed up. It was already maybe too much as it was, but the movie had to go and make it detailed... sigh. Anyway though, yeah, that is true.

Aruf is still one of the best names for anything ever. And her puppy form is adorable!
A's has great everything. Great cast, good plot, great action, great friendship-making, and more!

Nanoha A 4

Oooh new season = gear upgrade.

transformation sequence still requires these 3rd graders to get naked though, naturally.
Well yeah, think of the creepy fans they're trying to please! (Remember, Nanoha is shonen, not shoujo.)

Nanoha A 5

The plot... happens?

Shit is just turning into shounen fighter with lolis now. Good stuff. And naturally telling someone not to use the final ultimate mode because of high risk = them using it.
What are you talking about? The Nanoha franchise always was shonen. Where were you in season one? The whole concept was a magical girl show aimed at a primarily male audience and with action as good as anything you'll find in mecha shows. (got to love the beam spam!)

Nanoha A 7

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15581662/ouch.jpg
Mahou shoujo is serious business.

Great stuff with some surprisingly decent fight animation. tuxedo mask of this show is quite OP.

iAygLyZ3XYS0E.gif

And i love divine buster. yummy.
Ah beam spam, you're great. Nanoha's attacks are one of the best things about the show, really. :) They're so over the top...

Nanoha A 11

oh... so the next eps! Kinda? Loopholes in programming?

Like the 'final forms' of both weapons. Not a fan of ax/scythe being inferior to sword though.

that logic is flawed damn you!
This is anime, swords are better than everything, always! On that note, Sacred Blacksmith sword cutting animation.gif

Nanoha A 13

ah, and it ends with more death!

Ew everyone grew out of lolis into ugl- my god, what am i saying? i'm rotten!

anyhow, A is a ton better than first season in production, and nearly completely dumping the SoL shit. And fucking talking gun staffs. love the sound effects.

8/10.
I give the first season an 8, easily, and the second a 9 for sure. Great two seasons, some of the best of whatever genre you put them in.

And now you understand why A's is the best.

movie when
I'm looking forward to it.

Nanoha StrikerS 1

wow. shit is quite different now. Not really digging armor form nanoha as an adult. Twin tails on a grownup is a bit... not to me taste.

They did a fair job introducing the new gals, and i'm all for more folks having Revolver Stake style weapons.

Having magic circle on your grappling hook is a bit silly though.

But wow, how did nanoha end up in this show... i don't even. huh.
See below for my thoughts on StrikerS in detail. But yes, it was a huge, huge disappointment when it released. And the franchise (outside of anime) only went downhill from there, until the first movie.

Nanoha Strikers 3

ooh training time. And speaking of which, weren't the whole cartridge system considered dangerous and what not in A's? Now everybody is using it!

The pacing of this show is so weird... they sure like to take their time now that this show is twice as long as previous ones eh?
They have twice as many episodes, as either previous season, but manage to do a lot less worth mentioning with all that time. Yeah, it's not good.

I wasn't as fond of what I watched of StrikerS. Them being adults is OK, but yeah the series peaked at A's. You saw the best stuff.
Yeah. It's not a terrible show -- if you want worst Nanoha, go read the manga Force, it's atrociously stupid (and really is a harem show with a male lead, too) -- but StrikerS is way too close to that for comfort. It could have been so much better, too... the older character ages is fine, but they mess up so many things that the potential promise of that timeskip was completely lost, unfortunately.

For instance (problems with Strikers):
-The dog characters are never seen in human form, I'm pretty sure. The male one certainly isn't, at least. Why isn't he? There's no stated reason.
-Too many new characters -- the focus is divided too many ways, it just doesn't really work. Needed a narrower focus, more on Nanoha and Fate and less on the too-many new characters.
-On that note, the new characters are okay, but aren't as good as Nanoha and Fate.
-Having Nanoha having gotten hurt in the past so she can't use full power much anymore except for extremely short bursts was a terrible plot point. By taking away her power, it really ruined a lot of what made her so great in the first two seasons.
-Less interesting villain.
-Action is much less consistent than A's. StrikerS has one good part near the end, but most of the rest of it's very subpar.
Etc.

Oh I forgot to mention the yuri. Well that's one good aspect of StrikerS :D
That was one of the better things about the season, agreed. There wasn't enough of it though, and it doesn't outweigh the negatives for sure.

However, still,
Nanoha and Fate are raising an adopted daughter, and sleep in the same bed too. The implications are obvious.

Nanoha StrikerS 5

ooh finally, transformation sequences. And now everyone is adults, i don't feel uncomfortable with them stripping naked! Even got the good old boob bounce.

Don't get why the dude doesn't go naked when he transforms though. Sexist!
Probably so, yeah.

And baddy with face hidden. Oh noe!

Dragon girl is quite cute. Am pretty surprised that the same folks that do the show do the movies though.
The movie is right in line with the quality level of the first two seasons, but after how mediocre StrikerS was, and then how the serise went away for a while (apart for those subpar mangas) for several years, yeah, it was kind of surprising to see how great the first movie was (apart from the overdone fanservice early on in the film, as I said). I mean, they'd shown they could do that well before -- they did in the first two seasons, after all -- but it'd been a while... but fortunately, they did it. Too bad about StrikerS though, certainly.

The quality difference is quite jarring.
Very much so. :(

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

This is what we've got so far. Any more picks ladies and gentlemen?

I expected you guys to be a lot crueler with your choices.

I suppose there's something "funny" about an industry where the books makes more money than the anime. lol
By the way, I'm still not convinced this isn't the serial killer from Hyouka. Who is it (your avatar)?

Branduil

I suppose there's something "funny" about an industry where the books makes more money than the anime. lol

I don't know how that's funny, writing a book is insanely low-margin. You only have one creative person to pay and there's basically no material cost in terms of production of the work.

I rate stuff way too highly to be compatible with anyone.
Probably my problem as well (why no one I've checked even hits 70%); part because my tastes are a bit different, part because I use 7 as average and have 8 as my most commonly used score.

Anyway, this post is about great animes.
Haibane Renmei 4

There's a common theme running through this episode.

Qd0I4.png

Crows are assholes.

Beyond that, this episode is about Rakka spending a day with Kana. Kana's an awesome spunky Makoto-type character, so I had a good time with this episode. Her boss is great too.

ZAxwc.jpg

Pictured: Kana dealing with asshole crows.

Everything has its place in the world of the show, and Rakka's still trying to figure out how it all fits together. The show is really taking its time in unfolding everything about the characters and what they do, so there's a lot of room for girls to do cute things while they talk about their lives. It's pretty nice to watch it once a week.

I wonder what else crows will do in episodes to come.
It's a show about the characters in a strange and unique world, so it makes sense to take some time in exploring who they are and what they're like. Once the plot moves, though, it will really move...

Sora No Woto 5

More cute girls doing cute things. The one thing I didn't really get was
why did Rio rummage through their bags and take their compass?
It's not just a series about cute girls doing cute things, though, and that episode's one example of why... and anyway, she did that
because the whole point of the test was to see how well they could do without such things.
SnW has a balance between the cute and the serious elements, and apart from one unfortunate episode manages that balance perfectly.

Saki 03

This show is miraculous. that is all.
Certainly is, yes.

SO. MUCH. BLUSHING.

HNNNNNGH.

Sorry Hito.
Nodoka's constant full-body blush is a sight to behold, sure.

Texhnolyze 1

Not sure if boners or disturbing... Wait what is she doi- fuck, Thoraxes said something about eyes didn't h- OH GOD WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT

wut...wut...aw shit. OW FUCK

What the christ am I watching and why am I excited to watch more
I know it's been said (and I've said it recently too), but Texhnolyze is horrendously depressing, bleak, and hopeless. It's also got some major unexplained plot elements; don't expect everything to make complete sense at the end. However, despite those things, it's absolutely brilliant, and is easily my favorite apocalypse anime ever. Of course the ABe character designs help too, but the story and writing (apart from those unexplained parts) are just as good. Texhnolyze is a serious, very high quality, and thoughtful series about the worst and most tragic of events. It's violent too, when it needs to be, but it's not pointlessly violent, I wouldn't say.

I never got more than a couple episodes in but that first episode was something else, it was really cool how they went like the first 12 minutes of that episode without anyone speaking at all. Should probably get around to catching this someday.
Yeah, you should. Don't watch it if you're feeling down, though... it will not help, to say the least.

Texhnolyze question: I just started watching the first episode and it's really dark. As in, half of the screen is pitch black in almost every shot(barring the fight). Is that normal?

Since the character is showering, I'm wondering if I got a censored version that's hiding the naughty bits.
I don't know if there's an uncensored version or not, but it is a somewhat dim series, yeah, lighting-wise...

Texhnolyze: the Misadventures of Hobo Caim and Cyborg Freddie Mercury 2-4

Oh man. This show. So many crazy people. So much sadomasochism. I love it. Even though I have only the faintest idea of what's actually going on.
It definitely is somewhat confusing, that is true. Some things are explained, but not everything.

One part that stood out was Hobo Caim
tying his severed arm and leg to his waist and then dragging himself to the city.
It was equal parts hilarious and agonizing.

Visually it isn't perfect, and I'm sure certain members of GAF would have a field day with the CG parts, but some of the art is still really striking. It's driving me nuts that I can't take screenshots since I'm watching it on my TV.

Hopefully there's more of psychotic doctor lady. That
mostly-implied sex scene
was super hawt. Thoraxes or anyone else who's seen this:
are there dongs in the uncensored version?
This knowledge is critical to my viewing experience.

Finally, fuck Netflix and its disc-by-disc method! I want more but now I'm stuck until Wednesday. :(
I don't know, I thought it was good to break up watching that series (I watched it a bit at a time too). I mean, yeah, the constant cliffhangers make you want to keep going, but that much depression all at once would get to be a bit much...

Nerima Daikon Brothers 1

Oh jeez, I thought this was a musical in the same sense as Red Garden. Wasn't expecting someone to break out into song literally every 10 seconds. Sorry Nabeshin, full musicals aren't my thing :/

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't know how that's funny, writing a book is insanely low-margin. You only have one creative person to pay and there's basically no material cost in terms of production of the work.
Well, in the grown up world, the IPs fuel the movies/TV shows that make the big money.

Certainly its the case in the comic book world, where I'm sure even Smallville has made more money than any of the Superman books over the same period of time.

By the way, I'm still not convinced this isn't the serial killer from Hyouka. Who is it (your avatar)?
It's Oreki's sister!

I know it's been said (and I've said it recently too), but Texhnolyze is horrendously depressing, bleak, and hopeless. It's also got some major unexplained plot elements; don't expect everything to make complete sense at the end. However, despite those things, it's absolutely brilliant, and is easily my favorite apocalypse anime ever. Of course the ABe character designs help too, but the story and writing (apart from those unexplained parts) are just as good. Texhnolyze is a serious, very high quality, and thoughtful series about the worst and most tragic of events. It's violent too, when it needs to be, but it's not pointlessly violent, I wouldn't say.
Yeah, it's excellent so far. And as far as violence goes, I'm a complete pansy. That I was getting genuinely excited when
the protag beat the katana dude into a bloody mess
says a lot to the show's credit.

I don't know, I thought it was good to break up watching that series (I watched it a bit at a time too). I mean, yeah, the constant cliffhangers make you want to keep going, but that much depression all at once would get to be a bit much...
I couldn't stand the wait so I've been streaming it on Hulu, and switched Boogiepop Phantom into the Netflix queue.

I marathoned School Days from the middle of the night to seven in the morning, when I was the most mentally unprepared. I can take this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom