• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
I like this more because it looks like it's putting the blob back into moe-blob, something Hyouka is missing.

It's done by the guy who did the Key art for KyoAni, so that comment is kinda surprising as it should be more reminiscent of KyoAni's old artstyles.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
It's done by the guy who did the Key art for KyoAni, so that comment is kinda surprising as it should be more reminiscent of KyoAni's old artstyles.

I guess he finally learned to draw.

Anyway, it was Toei's Key stuff that had the worst art, Kyoani tried, but couldn't leave the shadow of the horrible VN art behind.

Jex

So the Gyo OVA is getting released in the UK with very appropriate boxart:

TPzmX.jpg

Well that' exceedingly apt. Most anime wish they could have a cover that awesome.

Jex

SaiMecha Final Four voting is now ready.

http://saimecha.wordpress.com/2012/08/05/ragarok-round-2-final-four/

Gurren Lagann vs Turn A Gundam

Gunbuster vs YF/VF-19 Excalibur

You have to at least tell us which way you voted!

Gurren Lagann vs Turn A Gundam

Not exactly an easy choice. I have a sneaking suspicious that I'm just voting for the Turn A to be contrarian and because I know it's the underdog.

Gunbuster vs YF/VF-19 Excalibur[/B]

This, on the other hand, is easy peasy. I mean, it's the god damn Gunbuster.

Well, artwork is going to generally be better than what they have to anime, but it still looks pretty great:

gundam-00-25-gn-001-exia-is-back.jpg

Anyway, I'm just talking about the design.

yeah, i won't lie, that final fight in 00 s2 might have redeemed the 2nd season for me.

Exia > 00/00riser anyday.

You can't have too many swords.

Jex

This is one of those times where I'd consider the creator's intent mostly irrelevant. Maybe they were only aiming to shock and entertain, but what they actually made was more than that.

It's okay, you can call it death of the author if you want.
You've never watched something and thought to yourself "I can tell that this is all really well-done but I'm just not enjoying it"?

That's a pretty apt summation of a few early Hyouka episodes.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
It's okay, you can call it death of the author if you want.

That's a pretty apt summation of a few early Hyouka episodes.

Well, only one part of the early Hyouka episodes was well done. Visual medium and all that, but ignoring the boring stories and flat characters as a large reason they were uninteresting is just being obtuse. To say it was "all really well-done" is false.

Jex

Well, only one part of the early Hyouka episodes was well done. Visual medium and all that, but ignoring the boring stories and flat characters as a large reason they were uninteresting is just being obtuse.

Were they flat, though? I don't think so. Firehawk has certainly defended those episodes and numerous people enjoyed the show all the way through, so I think it's really a matter of opinion. You can make a perfectly reasonable argument by claiming that the show has been good throughout it's run.
Gurren Lagann/Gunbuster. I want my all-Gainax finale.

I'm pretty sure that the Gurren Lagann will end up curb stomping the Gunbuster when that happens, but I look forward to such a showdown.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Were they flat, though? I don't think so. Firehawk has certainly defended those episodes and numerous people enjoyed the show all the way through, so I think it's really a matter of opinion. You can make a perfectly reasonable argument by claiming that the show has been good throughout it's run.

I'm pretty sure that the Gurren Lagann will end up curb stomping the Gunbuster when that happens, but I look forward to such a showdown.

Despite any revelations that may have occured in later episodes, yes, for the first few episodes, the characters are very flat.

You didn't address the boring mysteries part, as I suspect you would fall on the side that says they were intentionally so to subvert expectations etc (or something along those lines), but the fact remains that most people who watched it agree that the first few episodes are rather boring and dull.

Thoraxes

Planetes - 01

Well, this was... something. To be honest, i didn't know what to expect. I thought it was something more akin to Space Bros, but it turns out it's pretty different. Not bad though.

I'm not a fan of "first episode, let's introduce every character to the MC!", but they handled it well.
Planetes is an incredible experience. So freaking good.

The faces look more... Rounded/Chubby? In Hyouka, everyone's faces seem a bit more angular, so maybe it's just me only comparing those two (instead of taking a more legacy route), but I thought Clannad (at least to use something that doesn't have completely derp faces) got a bit more "round" at times too, but for the females.

It's just a really subtle difference.

cajunator

Banned
1 day in the real world is 3 years in the accelerated world, so you can mentally live a VERY long time.

Yeah it kind of makes you wonder if people in the real world would starve to death if they are in Accel World too long.

I like this more because it looks like it's putting the blob back into moe-blob, something Hyouka is missing.

If you're going to moeblob, then do it right.

So the Gyo OVA is getting released in the UK with very appropriate boxart:

TPzmX.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ_QgB7bAnM

Cwarrior

The hype train is as strong as ever! The conductor may still be in training, but the head conductor is still keeping watch over him making sure he doesn't crash into any boulders.

There's no real reason to be worried, this train is destined for greatness, as long as it follows the tracks laid out before it(source material) all is well.

This is maybe the first new anime hyped train I've set foot on since joining here, why now you ask, cause this is the first time the source material is actually good.

Get hyped
ric-flair.gif

If you're going to moeblob, then do it right.

Never read the novels but I think it's possible that I will enjoy Chū-2 Byō Demo Koi ga Shitai! more than Hyouka, even I think the idea and the character designs pretty silly. But it can be still a funny light-hearted comedy.

Jarmel

Banned
Never read the novels but I think it's possible that I will enjoy Chū-2 Byō Demo Koi ga Shitai! more than Hyouka, even I think the idea and the character designs pretty silly. But it can be still a funny light-hearted comedy.

The premise should definitely be more entertaining if they go the full nine yards.

Jarmel

Banned
Ugh. Really considering preordering Fate/Zero from ufotable's website and importing here. That big box is so damn tempting and would be an amazing way to store both seasons of the show.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Penning up a mahou shoujo manga as we speak!

I'm sure you'll finish it far faster than I'll finish the one piece I"m working on right now.

And you're work will still be super awesome.

And I will be jealous. Very very jealous.

Can't wait to see it!

-Minsc-

Hmm, I thought there someone watching Texhnolyze? Did something happen to him? Did it become unbearable?

I was looking forward to more episode impressions.

I am 100% behind this endeavor.

You know this means you have to post it now!

I'm sure you'll finish it far faster than I'll finish the one piece I"m working on right now.

And you're work will still be super awesome.

And I will be jealous. Very very jealous.

Can't wait to see it!

Yes, you'll have to wait though. I'm on vacation and far away from any way to scan my work.
But I will, eventually.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sailor Moon S 107

All the Sailors sounded so cute speaking English
except for Usagi of course.

I noticed Ami joined in on the rock-paper-scissors face off, even she is not immune to hot English bishounens.

Hmm, I thought there someone watching Texhnolyze? Did something happen to him? Did it become unbearable?

I was looking forward to more episode impressions.
Hulu is a sack of chodes. They're missing episodes 12-18 with subs. They have the full series dubbed, but it feels all wrong switching the voices halfway through.

After I watch the first disc of Blassreiter, I'll put Texhnolyze back on my Netflix queue.
He's still going, don't worry.
Yup. I wouldn't imagine dropping it. So good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom