• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

MEGANE
MEGANE EVERYWHERE
eKBYk.png
There are of course glasses designs being sold for all five.
The article might have spoilers for those of you sensitive to Precure identity information, by the way, so you can just skip over that bit of text, read the following, and use this big picture for the safe version:
Kikuchi Megane, a Japanese retail eyeglasses store chain, started offering eyeglasses featuring the characters from the popular TV anime series Smile PreCure! at all its outlets and online store on August 4, even though none of them is wearing glasses in the show. The five types of frame are designed to match the five PreCure girls in the show, Cure Happy, Cure Sunny, Cure Peace, Cure March, and Cure Beauty. Each model has different color choices. The 11,000 yen (approximately US$140.28) set includes an eyeglasses case and a lens wipe decorated with the characters.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
oh so this was more like the way that people use #gamechanger on Gaming Side when some shitty Vita app gets announced :(
Hey, it's still a gamechanger. :p

Considering that Season 4 of Babylon 5 is my favorite season of any TV show ever, I'd say it was a very good idea.
See, I remembered the iconic line as: "GET THE HELL OUT OF OUR GALAXY". Cheesy, but quotable (in fact, they use it in the S5 intro).
In reality, the line is: "GET THE HELL OUT OF OUR GALAXY... THE BOTH OF YA!". JMS just killed it that that pointless follow up. lol
That said, G'Kar and Londo is probably hands down the most amazing relationship ever written in science fiction. Londo is such a damn coward, but even when he tries to apologize to G'Kar, it's heartbreaking when G'Kar turns down his drink.

Also, I really wish they filmed the Telepath War. I want to see Chekov Bester have his smugness punched out of him. lol

Nah, I'm sure firehawk12 would appreciate that Infinite Ryvius goes for submarine warfare, rather than standard naval warfare. There's even an in-universe explanation because something has happened to space which alters it's structure, meaning that different regions have different 'pressures' and if you sink too low your ship will implode.
Wait... what does it even mean to sink too "low" in space? There's no up or down! (or left or right for that matter)

There hasn't been good space anime for a while.
Space Battleship Yamato and Time Jam are genuinely fun shows if you are a fan of space-based science fiction.

You pretty much have no choice but to watch the whole thing. You owe me fucker, you didn't even respond to my responses to your posts before. Also I'm pretty sure you haven't watched the best parts of their relationship yet, I think it comes up in the next few episodes.
This is coming from someone that watches Kimi Ni Todoke.;p lafiel and jinto aren't suppose to be a "traditional" romantic couple anyway, and that's what makes them fascinating. Plus it's more similar to adachi stuff where they have a more platonic thing going on.
I watched two episodes. lol
And I don't really care about the relationship (inasmuch as it being an obstacle for me enjoying the show). I just thought I'd get... well, captains yelling "FIRE" to their crew and starships working each other over with phlasers and photon torpedoes not two episodes of exposition and zzzzz.

I just watched it at the wrong time. Maybe I'd like it later on after I get off my military science fiction kick (so close to rewatching nuBSG or the Dominion War arc... fuck). Or maybe I should just skip to Banner and assume they'll fill in the blanks.

MEGANE
MEGANE EVERYWHERE
There are of course glasses designs being sold for all five.
The article might have spoilers for those of you sensitive to Precure identity information, by the way, so you can just skip over that bit of text, read the following, and use this big picture for the safe version:
They should let you get a half-Sunny and half-March pair of glasses after the last episode. lol

Articalys

Like I said before, there just aren't enough cute-girls-doing-cute-things manga-to-anime adaptations.

Looks like this one is airing in the coming season as well.
The wraparound jacket band on the first volume of Roots and Piyo's Teekyū! gag comedy manga is announcing this month that the manga will have a television anime adaptation. The manga centers around a girls' tennis team. (The title is a wordplay on a Japanese term for tennis, teikyū.)

The anime will premiere on the television station Tokyo MX on October 7 at 10:27 p.m.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Or maybe I should just skip to Banner and assume they'll fill in the blanks.
Why would you skip the best part of the series?
I just thought I'd get... well, captains yelling "FIRE" to their crew and starships working each other over with phlasers and photon torpedoes not two episodes of exposition and zzzzz.
Well you get that in Crest / Banner but it's hardly the best part of the series, esp since the spaceship battles have terrible animation anyway.

Also if you are in the mood for that you should probably check out the first movie of LOGH instead. Watch that asap right now and post your impressions.

Articalys

It just won't stop selling.
Light Novel Sales July 30 - Aug 5 said:
*1, 39,647 191,069 Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki
*2, 30,532 *30,532 One Piece Official Animation Guide White!
*3, 21,712 *21,712 Rental Magica Vol. 23
*4, 21,446 310,161 Sword Art Online Vol. 1
*5, 19,123 459,762 Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou Vol. 3
*6, 18,411 260,140 Sword Art Online Vol. 2
*7, 17,170 236,150 Sword Art Online Vol. 3
*8, 16,053 227,795 Sword Art Online Vol. 4
*9, 14,960 209,578 Sword Art Online Vol. 5
10, 14,382 165,845 Sword Art Online Vol. 10

11, 14,143 201,688 Sword Art Online Vol. 6
12, 13,370 903,523 Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou Vol. 1
13, 13,317 *13,317 Hayo no Tsurugi Chapter 6, Part 13
14, 13,050 *40,508 Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki Kids Edition
15, 12,573 192,563 Sword Art Online Vol. 7
16, 12,562 192,412 Sword Art Online Vol. 8

17, 12,405 *12,405 Fujimi Nichome Kokyogakudan Series Chapter 7, Part 1
18, 10,900 189,074 Sword Art Online Vol. 9
19, *9,808 168,658 Kuroko no Basket Vol. 2
20, *9,650 634,173 Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou Vol. 2

duckroll

It's a movie, but let's not forget that Welcome to the Space Show came out just a couple years ago, and it was full of hand-drawn space adventure.

Speaking of that, the director is directing Magi, and the character designer is directing From the New World, both airing in Fall, and both produced by A-1 Pictures, the same studio which made that!

Lain

Accel World 15

8 minutes in, and I felt the need to pause and come here to bitch about what a useless piece of shit Haru is. Wah wah
he took my wings so I'll let him beat me and also get my points while saying this is all a dream like the fat dumbass I am and once in the real world I'll squeal like a pig while saying I'm useless without wings.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Orbital plane as defined by the northern and southern hemispheres of Earth.
Earth is a frame of reference for all of space in this universe? Or they just stick to the solar system or something like that?

Why would you skip the best part of the series?
The best part of the series includes an exposition-laden introductory episode? :p

Well you get that in Crest / Banner but it's hardly the best part of the series, esp since the spaceship battles have terrible animation anyway.

Also if you are in the mood for that you should probably check out the first movie of LOGH instead. Watch that asap right now and post your impressions.
It's not really about the animation when it comes to space battles - as Space Battleship Yamato can attest (and Babylon 5 for that matter. The CG just doesn't hold up) - just the writing, directing, and the acting.

Speaking of B5, watching War Without End and Sleeping in the Light is amazing. For all of JMS's craziness, this is just amazing series writing. This is what Lindelof and Cuse wish they did with Lost, or Moore wish he did with BSG... a series where events in one season play out a couple of seasons later... for a finale that was written in season 4 instead of season 5. Just amazing.

Branduil

I think he's talking about Sword Art Online. The furry novel is doing okay too, it's an adaptation of the movie, like those film adaptation books you see for every movie blockbuster in the US.

Are they just as universally terrible and the sole domain of hacks?

wonzo

Banned
Happy Magi time:

The Sinbad/Judal one looks kinda... off. Not sure why.
Hype train re-commissioned and cautiously moving forward.

Kamisama Kiss PV

My shoujo body is ready. I mean just look at those rave reviews of the manga by ANN. Anime of the fall season
This looks interesting, will keep an eye on it.

is this really a new Madoka character? Looks like a genderbent boythatsayakaliked.
Is this from the new movies or one of those dumb spinoff mangas?

Top 50 Anime of All Time according to Japan Cinema:

http://japancinema.net/2012/08/09/to...e-of-all-time/

This is gonna be gud :-/
eveoftime.jpg

"Eve of Time"

a real ann worthy list right here folks

Caesnd

I just got Kenichi Yoshidas doujinshi book "EST!". This guy seriously needs to do more stuff, preferably his very own series some day. I liked him before, but now I consider him to be at least on par with Miyazaki and Takahata when it comes to unique and classy layout designs and characters. He's one really amazing artist in a pure technical sense as well. It's really a shame that this book was a limited release only. It'll be very hard for someone outside of Japan to get this now :/

duckroll

I just got Kenichi Yoshidas doujinshi book "EST!". This guy seriously needs to do more stuff, preferably his very own series some day. I liked him before, but now I consider him to be at least on par with Miyazaki and Takahata when it comes to unique and classy layout designs and characters. He's one really amazing artist in a pure technical sense as well. It's really a shame that this book was a limited release only. It'll be very hard for someone outside of Japan to get this now :/

He already did two series - Overman King Gainer and Eureka Seven. :p

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
The best part of the series includes an exposition-laden introductory episode? :p
Eh, I like the first episode, but the real meat of the series is the second episode and onwards. And there's nothing wrong with exposition if it's good! you seem to think all exposition = automatically bad or something from your past history, I find it weird how a self-proclaimed sci-fic fan like you wouldn't tolerate it at least, I mean I pretty much haft to tolerate it when I read sci-fic / fantasy books.
It's not really about the animation when it comes to space battles - as Space Battleship Yamato can attest (and Babylon 5 for that matter. The CG just doesn't hold up) - just the writing, directing, and the acting.
BSG definitely has the best spaceship battles in that regard - the atmosphere, music and direction, visuals is all spot-on. The biggest problem is it doesn't have enough of them.

Imagine a series with the plotting and characters of B5 mixed in with the best parts of BSG (visuals, music, acting etc). That would be my dream sci-fic series I tell you.:p

Caesnd

He already did two series - Overman King Gainer and Eureka Seven. :p

Well, yeah, he was largely responsible for the look of those two, but he was still limited to the setting that was established by the script. He needs to do his very own work, completely free of any restraints. It doesn't have to make sense or anything like that (although I'm sure he could come up with some interesting narratives; you can tell he's a storyteller and not just a person who draws "nice pictures", if you get what I mean); I just want to see more of his work come to life!

duckroll

Well, yeah, he was largely responsible for the look of those two, but he was still limited to the setting that was established by the script. He needs to do his very own work, completely free of any restraints. It doesn't have to make sense or anything like that (although I'm sure he could come up with some interesting narratives; you can tell he's a storyteller and not just a person who draws "nice pictures", if you get what I mean); I just want to see more of his work come to life!

I don't think he was restricted at all, if you followed the development of those two projects. They were every bit as much his creations as they were of the writers and the director. He was very heavily involved in the process of creating and executing those shows, from the characters, the world, the layouts, down to the actual animation as well.

He's not a director and writer though, so I don't expect that he will ever do a narrative work solo. He has never indicated any interest in that. He expresses himself through art, which is what he did in the last E7 ED. He directed/storyboarded/drew all of it, but it wasn't even animation, just stills and layouts. That's the sort of "story" he wants to tell, and that's what he does on the shows he is most involved in - lots of designs and layouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom