• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nafe

I don't know who that is. Probably because they keep changing their name.

Do you remember the name Guillo? Well he/she then changed names to Arks and now they're _Keiichi_.

They had this as their first avatar:
images

I would be more interested in this show if it didn't have a girl with absurdly large breasts getting molested.

If it's any consolation, that's pretty much the only scene like that. Most other fanservice is so tame that it's easy to miss sometimes. It's a survival action series first and foremost, not a sexy island retreat. It's pretty much Battle Royale with a video game theme.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
See my edit! You were so blinded by the harem stuff that you didn't notice everything else, hahahah.
By that measure, Jormungand is a pretty terrible show when it's only somewhat terrible to average. lol

Yes, which is why I'm saying it's in the intro phases. 3 or 4 episodes of different takes on the same formula should not be enough for it to feel old. This is to ease you into the premise and get a feel for the character's personalities. Yeah, it gets better when the cast gets larger, but that's how it is with most long-running comedies (at least until it jumps the shark). Gintama wasn't a quarter as funny as this in the same time period.
I appreciated that Gintama did a character intro episode upfront before doing its manga thing later on. Not that I necessarily remember what happens in episodes 2-6 of the show I suppose.
Still, after the first episode you have 10 characters and their personalities to go off of and do your own thing.

Anyway, it feels old to me. Having her do yet another story with the "poor in wealth, rich in family" guy was pretty much overkill, don't you think?

Articalys

Of course, this is the most important bit:

6DzLK.jpg

Director: Akiyuki Shinbo

Granted, it's a given for any Shaft show, but still nice to know.

I appreciated that Gintama did a character intro episode upfront before doing its manga thing later on. Not that I necessarily remember what happens in episodes 2-6 of the show I suppose.
Still, after the first episode you have 10 characters and their personalities to go off of and do your own thing.

Anyway, it feels old to me. Having her do yet another story with the "poor in wealth, rich in family" guy was pretty much overkill, don't you think?

Well they did skip 2 chapters, so at least it was more spread out in the manga.

But the thing is episode 3 was merely Keita's introduction and Ichiko being an overall bitch after entering their apartment for 5 minutes. This 2 parter actually had her experience that lifestyle, furthering her loneliness and also nurturing her feelings towards Keita. These are important as separate stories.

Another PV you can watch right now: BTOOOM!, thanks to animeinakon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDtW4D7uLTI

I think these anime are really harming themselves by including these awkward scenes (dude ripping her shirt off and then gripping her like that). I thought it was some survival action game not some fanservice anime...dont know if I may stick around for it. There are cool characters on the cast but only one was really shown in the trailer. The song is hot though and nice explosions.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Shaft is confirmed to be the studio behind Sasami-san@Ganbaranai, with Hiroki Harada (Romeo X Juliet) doing character designs and Katsuhiko Takayama (Natsu no Arashi!, Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru) doing series composition.

Arashi/Soredemo influence? I suddenly care.

By that measure, Jormungand is a pretty terrible show when it's only somewhat terrible to average. lol

But Jormungand had plenty of redeeming qualities even if you don't personally care for the subject matter! It's probably downright amazing if you're a military otaku. Imagine yourself watching Brave 10 if you don't care about bishounens or shoujo romance, hah.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well they did skip 2 chapters, so at least it was more spread out in the manga.

But the thing is episode 3 was merely Keita's introduction and Ichiko being an overall bitch after entering their apartment for 5 minutes. This 2 parter actually had her experience that lifestyle, furthering her loneliness and also nurturing her feelings towards Keita. These are important as separate stories.
Why not just combine them somehow? Or if you had to repeat them, why not push it to later and introduce a new idea before repeating a story?

Gundam Wing 32 - 33

EVIL
gundams are actually pretty cool and unique. Duo's encounter was fun and that
hallucination was almost quite scary, I was so glad it wasnt real as we cant have another character destroy an entire colony with the Wing Zero
Zechs is great to have back in action, everyone is slowly coming back!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sengoku Collection 17:

Let me start off by getting this off my chest:

AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY DID IT BUT THEY ACTUALLY DID. I KNEW THEY COULDN'T RESIST TAPPING THE WELL OF THE THREE KINGDOMS. My poor beloved Sangokushi, now forever tainted.

The historical Liu Bei was the emperor of Shu, one of three kingdoms locked in a struggle for supremacy over China in the 180s-240s A.D. after the fall of the Han Dynasty, 1400 years before the Sengoku era. Sengoku Collection Liu Bei is a maid-for-hire that transforms into a pig at night.

Yeah, you just read that.

Just take a moment to bask in the reality that this is actually a thing.

Finished yet? Here's the plot of the episode, completely unvarnished: Liu Bei is hired out as a maid to a grumpy shut-in elderly lady who used to be an actress. She uses her nightly pig transformations to soften her client's heart by being an adorable pet so that her maid work becomes easier in the day. That's it.

Sengoku Collection can get pretty deep, yo.

And considering that this is actually a girl transformed into an animal, this is pretty lewd.

Why not just combine them somehow? Or if you had to repeat them, why not push it to later and introduce a new idea before repeating a story?

I'll blame Sunrise for that. Keita's introduction was originally chapter 2 while this mini-arc was chapter 7. That's 4 self-contained stories in-between them instead of just 1.

If it's any consolation, that's pretty much the only scene like that. Most other fanservice is so tame that it's easy to miss sometimes. It's a survival action series first and foremost, not a sexy island retreat. It's pretty much Battle Royale with a video game theme.

I like the idea, I want to like the series, but I don't have faith that it'll deliver. Perhaps I'll try the manga one of these days.

wonzo

Banned
Travelling Daru

*pops cloud boner*

Brave 10 is just an average reverse-harem though. It even ships two the harem members together for maximum fuji bait.
It's superbly bad.

If you haven't seen it, find a day in your summer (winter?) to squeeze it in and you can assign me a show in return. It doesn't have to be now or any time soon.

It might be an average reverse harem, but pretty much everything else about the show is either terrible or insane! Lovers of bad anime would appreciate Brave 10 just on the merits of its laughably horrid fight choreography, much less the presence of memorable characters like hammy psychopath Kamanosuke.
Yes, Isanami is in fact that bad. Brave 10 grew on me over time. Fun standard plot for the genre and some cool characters.
Madpierrot screencapped Isanami for me just so I didnt have to watch it.
Hmmm, I guess I'll keep it mind for when I run out of notably bad stuff to watch.

wonzo

Banned
Natsuyuki Rendezvous 6

I figured that
the ghost dude was gonna finish off the sketchbook story as soon as it was introduced last episode (or maybe it was the episode before that, i don't really remember).
Either way, this and Joshiraku continue to be the stand-out shows of the season.

Texhnolyze 12
You made the loli sad, Caim. :( Will you ever learn to control your Hulk rage?

I really like Haruhiko, if only because he's being such a bro to Caim. It's nice that Caim has someone he can relate to and vice versa.

Assistant Lady was super slick with that "You need to rest. In my apartment." I can't imagine why Oni-san would decline such a scintillating offer. It's not like
his wife was just murdered
or anything.

Jex

Do you remember the name Guillo? Well he/she then changed names to Arks and now they're _Keiichi_.

They had this as their first avatar:
images

That must be approaching some kind of record for name changes. Can't they just decide already?

Jex

Well from what I heard, they are indeed going to have new Witches in both movies apparently, and Inu Curry have apparently designed more stuff for the movies. So they're not straight edits at least.
How the hell did I not know this? I thought that it was at least going to be re-animated.

Is it too late to join Team Anti-SHAFT? Somebody tell pizzaroll to get me an application.
I assume they're going to be like nearly every single anime movie that recaps a TV series (apart from the Utena movie) and feature a lot of old footage with some new scenes sprinkled in from time to time.

Jex

sounds pretty bad so clearly it's a perfect fit for Shaft

What are you saying about SHAFT, wonzo? I don't like what you're implying about their range of works.
But you commented on the premise as well. And it's not like Gonzo has any history of being better than SHAFT.

Well, Gonzo did make The Counte of Monte Cristo so that makes them marginally better. However, it's not like they did that consistently.

Branduil

I assume they're going to be like nearly every single anime movie that recaps a TV series (apart from the Utena movie) and feature a lot of old footage with some new scenes sprinkled in from time to time.

Don't forget completely messing up the pacing and plot development of the original work.

The Time of Eve movie is the only one I wholeheartedly endorse over the original, and that's because it's actually the entire series with bridging material added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom