• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
The whole 'another variation on the same general concept' along the lines of the Escaflowne movie is an option that's rarely explored.
The Rahxephon movie would fall under that banner. E7 movie too I guess.

lol, guess the common thread accross all 3 of those movies.

Uchip

Banned
I hate the escaflowne movie so very much
it made absolutely no sense
*krusty: what the hell was that.gif* fits so very well

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Travelling Daru
cojqkl.png

Indeed!

I totally forgot to watch this, so thanks for the post. lol

I wish I understood the context for this OVA. I'm wondering if it was made as part of something larger or if it was just a simple idea that someone wanted to do on a whim.

Anyhow, it's a sweet story about a girl who loses a toy and how she finds it many years later. Most of it is from the toy's perspective, and that makes sense because other than two lines at the end, it is a what amounts to a silent film. And hey, just watching the characters act out their emotions was probably even more effective than if they had given the characters any lines.
The only other thing that's noteworthy is that the director is in love with the fisheye effect. lol

Also, like Dudu the Floatie, it almost makes me miss the old-fashioned 2d Disney adventure cartoon.

Branduil

I hate the escaflowne movie so very much
it made absolutely no sense

You didn't like
Jajuka ex Machina?

Folken: Well it is now completely obvious that you cannot beat me, Van. My victory is inevitable.

Jajuka: Behold, I have been hiding in this corner for who knows how long just on the off chance you would walk out here and get into a battle with your brother. I stab you.

Folken: Okay, I didn't see that one coming, but I don't think anyone can blame me for that.

And then the giant flying fortress crashes to the earth, killing thousands of people still inside the city. Hooray!

Uchip

Banned
You didn't like
Jajuka ex Machina?

Folken: Well it is now completely obvious that you cannot beat me, Van. My victory is inevitable.

Jajuka: Behold, I have been hiding in this corner for who knows how long just on the off chance you would walk out here and get into a battle with your brother. I stab you.

Folken: Okay, I didn't see that one coming, but I don't think anyone can blame me for that.

And then the giant flying fortress crashes to the earth, killing thousands of people still inside the city. Hooray!

LOL
I think the only part I enjoyed was with the cat sisters dancing
and then I felt sick because that was their only purpose in the movie

firehawk12

Subete no aware
GTO whatever

W0cULl.png

Nosebleed jokes in 3d don't really work as a visual gag. But I suppose it's not like it could come gushing out of his nose like in animu. lol

Branduil

She doesn't deserve anything though. The movie did justice to her character. Lol. Folken on the other hand... what a waste.

What do you have against naive tomboy princesses who are forced to learn the horrible truths of the world?

But yeah, not even making Folken look like David Bowie can make up for the murder they did to his character in the movie.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
PV for the Crazy Girl Anime
http://youtu.be/ud0fDdXHnYc

Still looks like a concept that can't be saved by good animation alone.

don't forget the evil mastermind

5a31a0ab39bb84a78eb57pjs07.jpg

Wow, a mascot that isn't evil? SHAFT is deep, subverting the Meguca subversions of mahou shoujo.
aka playing it straight ololol.

Even if everything is played straight, Prisma Nana still looks really fake as far as mahou shoujo goes, but it's 4:30 AM here and I'm going to wait until I'm not dead tired to expound on that thesis.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Guys, don't expect Chuunibyo to be an action series, or you'll end up disappointed, if the novel it's being adapted from is anything to go by.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Still looks like a concept that can't be saved by good animation alone.

Wow, a mascot that isn't evil? SHAFT is deep, subverting the Meguca subversions of mahou shoujo.
aka playing it straight ololol.

Even if everything is played straight, Prisma Nana still looks really fake as far as mahou shoujo goes, but it's 4:30 AM here and I'm going to wait until I'm not dead tired to expound on that thesis.

How is that mascot not evil? Did Kyuubi look evil? Not really!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
How does it look fake? Have you watched shows like houkago no pleiades?

Let's just say that mahou shoujo targeted toward otaku generally miss the point of the things that they're trying to emulate.

How is that mascot not evil? Did Kyuubi look evil? Not really!

I'm just trying to believe that SHAFT doesn't plan to rip off every single plot point from one of their own shows, but I guess I wouldn't put it past them at this point.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom