• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Campione 6

The fight (or start of a fight) between the 2 Campione was good. Erica is as usual the motivator, but I like this main character that's not a spineless moron and that knows when it's time to do strategic retreats.
I also like how Godou doesn't try to not have Erica fight but instead is perfectly fine with letting her do her job as a knight, showing total confidence in her abilities and, again, not acting like a moron.

oh yes
Aside from her being too damned cute to care, I like that she has enough depth not to just be on the good side all the time.
I'm not sure if being off the deep end counts as depth.

Kidding. She's actually a neat character if you look past the waifu facade.
I was the first one who said that Green is the best! And I was right!
Sorry, but powerfist > Unlimited Bow Works.

I can't agree with anyone tonight. That dude wasn't an asshole, everyone was an asshole to him first, why the hell should he have bended over for everyone? Again?

Show sucked though, wish I never watched it.

thanks for reminding me of the plot of that shitty show.

Dude was still an asshole to the female lead if I remember properly.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
There were actually a couple decent action sequences from Hiiro no Kakera which showed up in the sakuga videos, which surprised me. I imagine most of the show looks terrible though.

I'm not exactly keen to sit through an entire series for a few moments of good action, but it's good to know that there was at least the effort made at some point. Come some future backlog season I may taste test it without committing myself to anything.

My whole body of course, have you seen how big those things are?

I've always thought that they looked fairly impractical for long-term comfort!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm not exactly keen to sit through an entire series for a few moments of good action, but it's good to know that there was at least the effort made at some point. Come some future backlog season I may taste test it without committing myself to anything.

I've always thought that they looked fairly impractical for long-term comfort!
A lot of people that sleep on their side prefer body pillows. You don't even need to have your head resting on it, you can use another pillow.

jman2050

How can you be sure that it isn't?

Kawaii Suki

"The story revolves around a young man named Cajun obsessed with cute things. A carefree spirit, his life is changed dramatically when a chance encounter with a mysterious kitten leaves him completely blind and deaf to the entire world around him with the exception of whatever he finds cute. He is hesitant yet accepting of this change, however it turns out that the world is being invaded by mechanical alien zombies masquerading as stuffed animals, and only Cajun's unique vision can somehow identify where these invaders are hiding and destroy them. Now, with his only link to the world being the cute boys and girls he communicates with, he must use his power to help save humanity from the threat of total destruction!"

Directed by: Shinichiro Watanabe
Character designs by: Buriki
Animation Studio: BONES

Lest I be misconstrued, I'm not recommending you watch the show.

cajunator

Banned
Kawaii Suki

"The story revolves around a young man named Cajun obsessed with cute things. A carefree spirit, his life is changed dramatically when a chance encounter with a mysterious kitten leaves him completely blind and deaf to the entire world around him with the exception of whatever he finds cute. He is hesitant yet accepting of this change, however it turns out that the world is being invaded by mechanical alien zombies masquerading as stuffed animals, and only Cajun's unique vision can somehow identify where these invaders are hiding and destroy them. Now, with his only link to the world being the cute boys and girls he communicates with, he must use his power to help save humanity from the threat of total destruction!"

You've really got something here!

Soma

Kawaii Suki

Anime News Network Review

+ One of the most ambitious works of art to date that takes storytelling to an entirely new level. A thought provoking tale of friendship, despair and hope. A must watch!
- The over abundance of cuteness is not for the faint of heart. The only other negative is that it's over all too quickly.

Grade:
Overall : A
Overall (dub) : A
Overall (sub) : A
Story : A+
Animation : B
Art : B
Music : A

Thoraxes

Hayate no Gotoku!! - 17

This is the weirdest most heartfelt epiosde i've seen.

oMjXL.jpg
gRJic.jpg

BDQDT.jpg
mKbJg.jpg

mAcOdIn

thanks for reminding me of the plot of that shitty show.

Dude was still an asshole to the female lead if I remember properly.
Well yeah but because she was a bitch just like his whole family was. Only person who stayed nice to him through everything was his little brother, why the heck must he be nice to people who shit on him?

He only truly went full asshole at the end, for the dramas.
If you wanted even more action watch Hiiro no Kakera
Are you saying this as an insult or does this show actually get some action somewhere? I sat through 4 episodes of this shit a few nights ago out of being too tired to stop Hulu from auto playing the next episode and there was only two action scenes spread out over those 4 episodes.

It didn't help that those scenes were shitty and every character sucks major ass. I hate every character in the show. I can't wrap my head around their actions because they're incomprehensible.
Like, if those are her guardians and they're all young and this is like their first field test then, uh, where's the previous princess's guardians? Why doesn't her grandmother just, I don't know, hand out some fucking guidance every once in a while or do something of her own? Of course it's going to be the terrible cliched plot line that she always trusted her granddaughter and felt she needed to work through the problems on her own for her to truly be a good princess but that shit's stupid. No one knows what their job is, no one has done their job, no one knows anything about anything they do and even when they find shit out they find out the stupid shit. When the barrier's being assaulted and has been steadily weakening instead of asking something relevant like how to fix it instead they fucking ask for a history lesson on where the thing came from. Who gives a rat's ass?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
JYB plays cajun in the dub.

But cajun's original voice track is removed from the DVDs to prevent reverse importation by Louisianans.

Lest I be misconstrued, I'm not recommending you watch the show.

Don't worry, I knew you weren't actively recommending it. After watching Miracle Train earlier this week, I think I may be developing a slight interest in trying to discover whether or not there's actually such a thing as a legitimately good bishounen anime. Even genres generally not typically known for producing good works will sometimes have their bright spots, but I've yet to find one with this particular type of series.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Kawaii Suki

Make the character designer Hidari and I'm all in.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
La storia della Arcana Famiglia 05:

KvDIxl.jpg

You are, how-a you say, Il Weeabooé.

So Nova was adopted by the Arcana Famliglia and raised alongside Felicita like a brother with the expectation that they'd marry someday? That's messed up.

I guess this whole conflict is going to come down to Liberta vs. Nova considering how much they're dominating screen time.

Don't worry, I knew you weren't actively recommending it. After watching Miracle Train earlier this week, I think I may be developing a slight interest in trying to discover whether or not there's actually such a thing as a legitimately good bishounen anime. Even genres generally not typically known for producing good works will sometimes have their bright spots, but I've yet to find one with this particular type of series.

I suppose that depends on what series you classify as "bishounen". Ouran High School Host Club, for instance, has a pretty boy cast and it's pretty good.

Nafe

Articalys got banned? What happened there, I thought he would be one of the last people I ever saw banned.

I didn't even know we could even change our names.

Or that often for that matter.

Yeah, I think you just contact a moderator like duckroll or Hitokage and request from them a name change and they can do it for you.
Doing it too often I believe is frowned upon though as it might be annoying or possibly just considered poor forum etiquette in general.

Also I'm still not sure how Van falls like a thousand feet and is okay.
My theory has been that Van is really some sort of ant man. An ant reaches terminal velocity pretty quickly and can survive a fall at this rate. Essentially then, an ant won't die from a fall no matter the height it falls from.

Obviously if this is taken to the extreme such as the upper atmosphere then it might not work. You'll also have other factors to possibly include, such as, forget wind resistance is there even enough air for it to breathe in the first place?

iU2lz8Pdv1IVR.gif

Man, I hate it when kids with those little wheels in their shoes zip past me on the sidewalk. Scares the shit out of me.

Ah, that makes more sense now. I forgot some children's shoes have small wheels in them so while I didn't mind the animation, her movements seemed too fluid based on the surface she was on. I was going to describe it as "like figure skating on concrete."

My my my .. what a first rate *ssh*le ... i have high hope for this arc , especially the climax but this episode did a good job of placing some thing in the right context ( considering the liberties they took last week in the adaptation )

In fact as to where i am in the LN , every campione/god is always a first rate asshole save for 2 exceptions ... but THIS ONE will stay as one of the most *ssh*les of the lot

Well yeah but because she was a bitch just like his whole family was. Only person who stayed nice to him through everything was his little brother, why the heck must he be nice to people who shit on him?

He only truly went full asshole at the end, for the dramas.

Are you saying this as an insult or does this show actually get some action somewhere? I sat through 4 episodes of this shit a few nights ago out of being too tired to stop Hulu from auto playing the next episode and there was only two action scenes spread out over those 4 episodes.

It didn't help that those scenes were shitty and every character sucks major ass. I hate every character in the show. I can't wrap my head around their actions because they're incomprehensible.
Like, if those are her guardians and they're all young and this is like their first field test then, uh, where's the previous princess's guardians? Why doesn't her grandmother just, I don't know, hand out some fucking guidance every once in a while or do something of her own? Of course it's going to be the terrible cliched plot line that she always trusted her granddaughter and felt she needed to work through the problems on her own for her to truly be a good princess but that shit's stupid. No one knows what their job is, no one has done their job, no one knows anything about anything they do and even when they find shit out they find out the stupid shit. When the barrier's being assaulted and has been steadily weakening instead of asking something relevant like how to fix it instead they fucking ask for a history lesson on where the thing came from. Who gives a rat's ass?

Theres more action scenes a bit later on (ep 6, for example) considering Monado, the whole thing with what is actually sealed and more. I could imagine for people not entranced by the characters it probably takes great patience especially since Tamayuri-hime
takes lots of episodes to finally awaken
but i think the final two episodes more than made up for it, especially everything with
Takuma

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I suppose that depends on what series you classify as "bishounen". Ouran High School Host Club, for instance, has a pretty boy cast and it's pretty good.

Is Ouran specifically targeted toward female otaku? I think that this is my main criteria in determining what constitutes bishounen/reverse harem anime to me.

Ah, that makes more sense now. I forgot some children's shoes have small wheels in them so while I didn't mind the animation, her movements seemed too fluid based on the surface she was on. I was going to describe it as "like figure skating on concrete."

I was actually joking about the skate shoes. Unless I'm mistaken, most of the action sequences in that trailer
aren't actually happening and are just figments of her imagination

Narag

Maverick Hunter X - Day of Sigma

Expected something campy and didn't really get that. This is a loose prequel 25 minute OVA from that came with the PSP version of Mega Man X that plays the whole Maverick hunting thing straight. While you have all these bright & cartoony characters, this is more or less straightforward police drama with the usual tropes of dirty cops, tampered investigations, and "Take the shot, X. TAKE THE SHOT." nonsense that permeates the OVA. I didn't particularly enjoy it but I'd think it's fine fanwank for franchise fans and the serious presentation is something of a novelty.

rMBKPl.png

bM8Jnl.png

GZGvQl.png

The usual cast.

Nafe

I was actually joking about the skate shoes. Unless I'm mistaken, most of the action sequences in that trailer
aren't actually happening and are just figments of her imagination

Ah, Okay, I can see that. That ways more interesting too, so let's go with that.

Gundam Wing 39 - 40

Actually seeing things on the side of the leaders of the Romefeller Foundation proved to be really entertaining. Relena gave me some laughs with the way she gained support while the Duke got all emotionally flustered.
Terrible that he ended up in space and what not, as he ought to have been able to at least stay with us long enough to see if Relena could unite space colonies and Earth

Eight episodes remaining is kind of sad though I expect big things
Trowa and Wufei getting Gundams found/fixed, Heero reuniting an Epyon v Wing Zero fight, Trieze doing something, Duo and Quatre with everyone else, even Noin, bringing down Oz and White Fang

Narag

Gundam Wing 39 - 40

Actually seeing things on the side of the leaders of the Romefeller Foundation proved to be really entertaining. Relena gave me some laughs with the way she gained support while the Duke got all emotionally flustered.
Terrible that he ended up in space and what not, as he ought to have been able to at least stay with us long enough to see if Relena could unite space colonies and Earth

Eight episodes remaining is kind of sad though I expect big things
Trowa and Wufei getting Gundams found/fixed, Heero reuniting an Epyon v Wing Zero fight, Trieze doing something, Duo and Quatre with everyone else, even Noin, bringing down Oz and White Fang

Show delivers so don't fret. Also you still have Endless Waltz!

cajunator

Banned

Check out a series called Saiunkoku Monagatari/Story of Saiunkoku.
It is pretty good and absolutely bishounen.

Narag

Kizuna Ichigeki

Figured I should check out the 2010 Young Animator's Project so here's this. It's a comedic piece about a martial artist family. It's cute and the family oriented interaction was very nice. There's also some decent action sequences which is fitting given the premise. Garish colors, sillhouettes, and the weird waveform stuff in the OP reminded me of weird 70s OPs. Various art shifts in the episode itself were pretty neat.

18eevl.jpg

HpSDsl.jpg

TOrjHl.jpg

This has nothing to do with the actual show as it was just a visual gag. That said, do want.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
La storia della Arcana Famiglia 06:

af6-2f8joy.gif

eh, I'll take it.

Arcana Duello is still nowhere in sight. The higher-ups seem to have a vested interest in Nova and Liberta powering up in time for the big fight, though. They're participating in the tournament too, so barring any ulterior motives it's at least nice to see characters that really just want to see the Arcana Famiglia fall into capable hands more than they care about realizing their own personal ambitions. I guess everyone's scared of creepy mad scientist guy winning the tournament, hahah.

Also Campione! dropped, just because. I don't have the patience to follow both of these shows, even with only 6-7 episodes left for each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom