• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
YuruYuri♪♪ - 7

Well since this stars the character everyone has been waiting for I guess it's best to let everyone have a chance at watching it first before spoiling it with screenshots/gifs.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hyouka 17
QXRMV.jpg
An excellent close to events that leaves everything tied up in as satisfactory a manner as possible. I feel as though my affinity to this arc lies in its light ties to film noir sensibility, and this episode was no exception with its intense attention to detail as the puzzle pieces were coolly reassembled into place. This is an exceptionally special piece of work that keeps things entertaining while having things of genuine importance to say without being preachy or trying to push any sort of agenda.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Minami-Ke YuruYuri 7
Gmp2Vl.jpg

Man, I really want that fourth season to happen sooner rather than later.

Otherwise, a standard episode of the show dealing with
sisters. And of course, Akari's sister Akanen is a creepo.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's why I'm waiting for them to get out before I catch back up. Trapped encuronmrnt would drive me batshit without knowing when it would end.
Yeah, but I don't think I could marathon the whole arc in one go without reaching for the fast-forward. For me, that's at least the one "good" thing about watching things live. lol

---

UtaKoi 7

This episode was a bit freaky to me because my parents have one of the flowers that is featured prominently in the episode (I know it as the "tan hua"). It's a flower that only blooms at night and only blooms for a day before it withers and dies.

So, of course, the cuts to the flower during certain dialog makes perfect sense:
8rSLMl.jpg

kPesel.jpg

I suppose in internet meme terms, this was a #yolo episode and that's the official flower of #yolo. lol

I do find it an amusing coincidence that my parent's tan hua bloomed a few days ago, allowing me to fully understand the reference being made here. I mean, western art/poetry is so rose-obsessed that I really don't understand the meaning of any other flowers, so it was interesting to see that other cultures have other flowers that have symbolic and metaphorical meaning.

As for the episode itself, I'm sensing a theme of men from the 1500s being pieces of shit and women being forced to suffer through their dumb desires. I suppose it makes sense that the women who managed to find good lives became poets... or the men that were okay with treating women as people and not property at least.

Kare Kano is THE poster child example of how a bad ending can ruin an otherwise awesome series.

Huh, here I was thinking that title belonged to Evangelion.

COME AT ME, BROS.

Words cannot express how I bitter I was after finishing that, and I even got suckered into watching the movie!!! What the fuck.

Phi Brain s2 19

I liked this sequence:

Nice way of displaying altered memories.

Anyway, looks like
Freecell is back to being the villain.
Everyone else in the Oprheus Order is fucked. Speaking of which, seems like Melancholy had a bigger role in the organization than she was leading on.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

COME AT ME, BROS.

Words cannot express how I bitter I was after finishing that, and I even got suckered into watching the movie!!! What the fuck.
Evangelion has one of the most thematically satisfying endings to a scifi series though...

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I do find it an amusing coincidence that my parent's tan hua bloomed a few days ago, allowing me to fully understand the reference being made here. I mean, western art/poetry is so rose-obsessed that I really don't understand the meaning of any other flowers, so it was interesting to see that other cultures have other flowers that have symbolic and metaphorical meaning.

I know that Japan is pretty crazy for red spider lilies and I usually see them used in conjunction with themes of fate, separation, and death in anime, but other than that I don't know much about the flower language of other cultures or even the majority of the flower language of my own culture. The tan hua seems like an especially meaningful bit of flower language as its meaning actually matches its biological function, unlike other flowers which I assume to be largely arbitrary in their relation to what they represent.

you should watch Heartcatch Precure if you haven't already; each episode teaches the meaning of a different flower in flower language!

COME AT ME, BROS.

Nah, Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom blows every other series out of the water in this regard.

Although I could understand an argument for Kare Kano or any other romance series without having seen them; romance more than any other genre has the viewer emotionally invested in a particular outcome from the very beginning so I imagine that if there's no payoff the impact can be exceptionally infuriating.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I know that Japan is pretty crazy for red spider lilies and I usually see them used in conjunction with themes of fate, separation, and death in anime, but other than that I don't know much about the flower language of other cultures or even the majority of the flower language of my own culture. The tan hua seems like an especially meaningful bit of flower language as its meaning actually matches its biological function, unlike other flowers which I assume to be largely arbitrary in their relation to what they represent.

you should watch Heartcatch Precure if you haven't already; each episode teaches the meaning of a different flower in flower language!

Funny enough, there's a Chinese Chengyu (idiom) that uses the flower to refer to a "flash in the pan", so it's biological function seems to be the one thing people find interesting about the flower. I personally wonder why a flower that only blooms once and dies immediately after could survive in nature, but I don't know jack about flowers. lol

And yeah, other than roses, I know jack all about flowers and what they mean either. I suppose it'd be easy to look up, except of course, you'd need an expert to identify the proper name of a flower in a picture/film/tv show before you can even look it up in the first place. (Google needs to invent reverse-flower-image search).

Also, I'd watch Heartcatch, but I think Smile has convinced me that having the team set up from the very beginning is superior to having two girls lead the show for half the series. lol

Thoraxes

I literally know nothing about this show other than this image, but goddam I want to experience it now.
The more people I get watching Texhnolyze the better! KO Traveling Hobo was a champ!
image.php

I should watch this again.

Meme > *
There's lots of good reasons to watch this show. Miss Silky Smooth is definitely one of them.
Never change Shaft.

(a tad NSFW)

http://i.imgur.com/lLWFO.jpg
The masters of their craft, easily.
Rinne no Lagrange - 10

You're going to love the end.

Kuromajo 01

Ok this is completely adorable. I will continue watching.
Yeah, it is a cute show, and entertaining too. There's a second season upcoming in the fall, too.

Drillhair girl's great, she should be a more regular character... :)

First anime character art for Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA☆ILLYA:

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo289/Un-known_Soldier/s1_31253s.jpg

There are so many variations of Rin's character appearance that yet another one isn't much of a surprise. Prisma Illya and Prisma Miyu are wearing their Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA☆ILLYA 2wei costumes, which hopefully means they are planning to cover both the first series and 2wei. They would probably need 2 cours for that though. I wonder if they will bother with a longer series length for this. Judging from how well the first two series sold and the third series (Drei) has begun publication, I'm hoping for 2 cours.
What, no mention of how the art there's not as good as it is in the manga? But yeah, they will need two cours if they want to get through the first two manga series, I agree.
Texhnolyze 6

Alright,
killing the hooker and then pumping a fully loaded gun into her pimp
wasn't a terribly swell thing to do, but Cyborg Freddie Mercury is really starting to give me the heebie-jeebies now. I still find myself liking him, but I expect I will come to regret that.

Suddenly: fuck YES! FINALLY! PAYBACK'S A GENDER-NEUTRAL PERSON OF SIGNIFICANT FRUSTRATION!

WHY

(I think this is the first time I've been thrilled by
someone getting their face savagely beaten into a bloody pulp.
Well played, Texhnolyze.)
Texhnolyze does violence better than most anime I can think of, yeah.

Texhnolyze 7
This part of his plan was pretty obvious, but it seems there's more to it, and I really want to see how far he takes this.

Caim appears to be the very embodiment of Freddie's desire:
man reduced to its most primal, chaotic nature
. The end of the episode seemed to indicate that their paths are now crossing, but it seems a bit early for that.

Ran tends to be creepy, but she's pretty moe when she's asleep~

As an aside, I've suddenly become intensely aware of how often I use the word "seem." This is going to drive me crazy.
I think it's an appropriate word to use while watching Texhnolyze, though.

Yeah, it's excellent so far. And as far as violence goes, I'm a complete pansy. That I was getting genuinely excited when
the protag beat the katana dude into a bloody mess
says a lot to the show's credit.

I couldn't stand the wait so I've been streaming it on Hulu, and switched Boogiepop Phantom into the Netflix queue.

I marathoned School Days from the middle of the night to seven in the morning, when I was the most mentally unprepared. I can take this.
I'm wondering what you think about some of these things now that you've finished it... I mean, about the violence and whether you could take it, specifically. That ending has to have a big impact on both of those points, to say the least.

Dog Days 1

Finally caving and it seems like I should have sooner. I adore the light fantasy setting and aesthetic (beyond the animal ears & tails!) and this just seems so lighthearted and cute. Bait & switch with the war was damn funny.

Dog Days is your usual utterly nonsensical anime fantasy setting, exactly the kind that I've repeatedly complained about at length... but somehow when watching or reviewing the episodes, I rarely mention it. I mean, it's there, all the usual completely idiotic stuff that makes absolutely no sense that you see in anime fantasy... but I like the show too much to think that it drags the show down much.

But seriously, the shows world really doesn't make sense. So it's sort of medieval and they fight with swords and, for the squirrel/chipmunk faction 17th century styled guns (which, of course, aren't really better than swords), but they have magic televisions, magic radios, modern 21st century style underwear, idol concerts with glowsticks and speakers and the works, etc... isn't it convenient that magic technology is just like modern-day stuff, except that people live in old-fashioned buildings? :p It's an incredibly random mishmash of stuff. It only "works" because the series spends no time trying to justify any of it... that it's, it's just there, without comment. Of course that's how it often is in anime, and this kind of thing IS an issue for me, but at least here a lot of it is specifically mentioned to be magic. That's slightly better than having no explanation at all, I guess. The stuff that would be harder to justify they simply don't attempt to explain at all, of course (again as usual for the genre).

... But overall Dog Days is a lot of fun, so while the above stuff is there, it's not really a problem in this case, I think. It's kind of stupid that way, but oh well, that's okay sometimes. The TV announcers at the wars are entertaining... :)

Dog Days 2

zzzz no one cares about the real world. Stay in the fantasy land.
This is such fluff yet so fun to watch.
Dog Days is so much fun when it's good... and the second season's even more fun, so far. :)

Dog Days Dash 4

I thought cats didn't like water.
Depends on the kind of cat. Tigers like water... I don't know about lions offhand, but they do more than housecats I think.

I will shoulder his burden in this time of need.

Manyuu Hikenchou 1

That's ... uh some secret sword style and that's ... uh some sort of punishment for Kaede. I suppose jealousy is quite the ugly thing. This is simultaneously more and less graphic than I expected too.

This whole premise is ridiculous though.
The ridiculous premise is the whole point, of course. This series is about as blatantly ahistorical as is possible (never mind the rest of it, large breasts weren't even considered that beautiful in premodern Japan, I think...), but the writers must know that, because the writers basically go full speed in the opposite direction. Well, why not.

I mean, the show isn't that great; I never did get back to it, after stopping a few episodes in; but it is kind of amusing in some ways.

Striker S 6

Yeah, i'm probably gonna put this show on hold. Shit is just too slow. Nothing happening.
The last third of Stirkers is kind of good, but there's a lot of tedium to get through before you get to the good part... there is at least some payoff eventually, though.

Right and they're really kinda here and there with the technology. The technological advancement doesn't really make sense. As I said, certain stuff is really advanced and other stuff is around modern times. It's all over the place and is kinda handwaved. You have motorscooters/regular homes existing in a universe where someone can summon a mech anywhere via teleportation out of thin air. Not to mention the loss of certain technology, which I find hard to believe considering how crucial it was in the original, which is rediscovered for necessary plot points.
I hate that kind of thing...

That's just how science fiction works though. People don't bother to work out how everything works most of the time. lol
That's how poorly conceived science fiction works, sure. I mean, yes, there's probably no way to avoid some modern-day elements -- sci-fi is usually a work as much about the time it was made in as it is about the time it's set in, and the same is true for fantasy -- but stuff like that? That would not be hard to do a better job of.

I've seen this image posted a thousand times and every time I look at it, I'm still not sure what problem I'm supposed to be seeing.
Invented issues with people obsessing over overanalysis and Keyhate, I think... I don't see much of a problem there. Maybe she's holding the gun slightly wrong, but it's certainly nothing major. And one of those other pics that got posted a lot, the one of the stairs, I still see absolutely nothing wrong at all in that pic, it looks just fine.

Looks like his face, how she's not looking into the scope, and how she's holding the gun.
Minor stuff, barely even worth mentioning.

ibiQlsNrcdJtSk.jpg

Not the one you were expecting, was it?
Um... the shadows are off, or something, I guess? Nothing I'd notice the first time I look at the picture, it looks pretty good apart from that.

They have to make up for people like me who rate on an 8-10 scale.
Excepting things I really dislike I grade on a 7-10 scale myself, so yeah, pretty much. :)

It is, though. I learned more about English grammar in a single week at language school than I ever did in 12 solid years of primary & secondary school.
Probably depends on which school you went to, then. Mine was okay...

The whole Noir, Madlax, El Cazador "Girls with Guns" trilogy isn't all that great, per se, but there's a certain flavor to them, I think.
Noir is great, at least. I loved that series. El Cazador might be too. I never have liked Madlax as much though... And of course, you forgot to mention the girls with guns spinoff Avenger, which I'd put in between Madlax and El Cazador.

Noir, Madlax, El Cazador De La Bruja. I like these. .Hack//Sign I did not like. Too boring.
Bee Train also assists with many other shows. I think they are a decent studio.
Plus they work with Yuki Kajiura a lot and that gets brownie points from me.
Hack Sign is Bee Train's best series ever.

It's mildly amusing, but why would this get a second season over so many more deserving shows...

jman2050

Yuru Yuri S2 7

An extended segment with the two horrible Chi- sisters is not a good way to endear me to your episode. Fortunately we have Sakurako and imouto antics to offset it.

Oh hey Akari's sister finally shows u--
SvNRL.gif

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Funny enough, there's a Chinese Chengyu (idiom) that uses the flower to refer to a "flash in the pan", so it's biological function seems to be the one thing people find interesting about the flower. I personally wonder why a flower that only blooms once and dies immediately after could survive in nature, but I don't know jack about flowers. lol

And yeah, other than roses, I know jack all about flowers and what they mean either. I suppose it'd be easy to look up, except of course, you'd need an expert to identify the proper name of a flower in a picture/film/tv show before you can even look it up in the first place. (Google needs to invent reverse-flower-image search).

Also, I'd watch Heartcatch, but I think Smile has convinced me that having the team set up from the very beginning is superior to having two girls lead the show for half the series. lol

I gave the Wikipedia article for the tan hua a brief glance, and (it figures) there's not a word about how it's able to successfully reproduce with such a short window for pollination. Apparently it's actually native to the Americas where it's known as "Dutchman's Pipe" or "kardable" and it's technically a flowering cactus!

re: Heartcatch, you vastly underestimate Erika and Tsubomi's chemistry and charisma, hahah.

Narag

Dog Days is your usual utterly nonsensical anime fantasy setting, exactly the kind that I've repeatedly complained about at length... but somehow when watching or reviewing the episodes, I rarely mention it. I mean, it's there, all the usual completely idiotic stuff that makes absolutely no sense that you see in anime fantasy... but I like the show too much to think that it drags the show down much.

But seriously, the shows world really doesn't make sense. So it's sort of medieval and they fight with swords and, for the squirrel/chipmunk faction 17th century styled guns (which, of course, aren't really better than swords), but they have magic televisions, magic radios, modern 21st century style underwear, idol concerts with glowsticks and speakers and the works, etc... isn't it convenient that magic technology is just like modern-day stuff, except that people live in old-fashioned buildings? :p It's an incredibly random mishmash of stuff. It only "works" because the series spends no time trying to justify any of it... that it's, it's just there, without comment. Of course that's how it often is in anime, and this kind of thing IS an issue for me, but at least here a lot of it is specifically mentioned to be magic. That's slightly better than having no explanation at all, I guess. The stuff that would be harder to justify they simply don't attempt to explain at all, of course (again as usual for the genre).

... But overall Dog Days is a lot of fun, so while the above stuff is there, it's not really a problem in this case, I think. It's kind of stupid that way, but oh well, that's okay sometimes. The TV announcers at the wars are entertaining... :)

Dog Days is so much fun when it's good... and the second season's even more fun, so far. :)

I think I'm sort of acclimated to the setting as it's like some unabashed jrpg setting and it does a wonderful job by not worrying about the details so to speak. You're either with them or you're not and they don't really care either way.

The ridiculous premise is the whole point, of course. This series is about as blatantly ahistorical as is possible (never mind the rest of it, large breasts weren't even considered that beautiful in premodern Japan, I think...), but the writers must know that, because the writers basically go full speed in the opposite direction. Well, why not.

I appreciate part of it for the parody nature of the premise. I mean I've seen this sort of thing before. Rogue whatever from some clan absconds with their secrets and the clan chases them to tie up the loose end. It's just that secret is ridiculous at face value but sort of makes sense given the the extra mile they went with the setting.

Narag

Mazinkaiser 1

• JAM Project OP and ED ✓
  • Mazinger Z vs Great Mazinger ✓
  • Ashura hamming it up✓
  • Awesome twist or two ✓
  • Not one but two hot blooded super robot pilots ✓

Yeah, this ought to be good!

But yeah, cutting out any sort of counterattack and just going straight to the finisher was shameful. Worst fight? Worst fight.

Indeed it was bad ..the idea of a ennemy with multiples attacks was good but they cut it the finisher without any sense of tact.

Another proof smile is a season that is totally random when it comes to the fights.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Yuru Yuri ♪♪ - 07

I CALLED IT

I SO CALLED IT

YEAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

I don't know what makes me happier, the fact that
Akane is a hardcore sis-con, or that Chinatsu's older sister is in love with her. I. LOVE. ITTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

Phi brain S2 - 19

Excellent episode ..with some revelations and some twists !!

Freecell realizing his mistake and finding the real memories was a nice thing , especially in this situation and that became a delicious power-up !! Can't wait to so the final showdown..

Melancholy hiding her status within the order was a nice suprise as hoist being a bad guy was way obvious ..i wonder who is really behind this order now

The music during the "i've become the real deal " was spot-on ..

cajunator

Banned
Just when I was starting to get sick of Usagi...

Sailor Moon 8

AMMMMIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Sailor Moon 10

REEEEEIIIIIIIIIIII

IT GETS BETTER! But sadly, Usagi hasn't yet (episode 25)

Rinne no Lagrange - 08

Another excellent episode. Asteria is awesome!

Lan's naivety is adorable, Muginami is a pro at ruining moments between Lan and Modoka.

Scissors? You don't mean that kind of scissors do you?!!

tumblr_m8f7wxmuA11rucfrho1_500.gif

I wonder if SDBurton will :SDburton to death before I :Cajun to death?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
You didn't gather that from episode one?

If you're talking about the
giant Valentine's choco, there's a big difference between that and wearing your little sis' panties on your head!

I mean the first thing could be scene as something cute and sisterly, the second one... you have no excuse!

giant Valentine's choco, there's a big difference between that and wearing your little sis' panties on your head!

I mean the first thing could be scene as something cute and sisterly, the second one... you have no excuse!

But the second one is what makes Akane a top-tier char (still not as awesome as Yui).

wonzo

Banned

I think BGBW's talkin about the first episode of the first season.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

I mean the very first episode of the very first series where we get a glance of her room.

I will admit I have read a few manga chapters so I also knew what to expect

Who's #1?

De Metrio
Izo > Array > Kirius

Lan > Madoka > Weakinumi

Apparently, K is going to be only 13 episodes.

Darn, thats so little for something with potential.

Kingdom 11
tumblr_m8psp8mxkQ1qbxqfpo1_500.png

The previous episode and this one were pretty epic, and definitely serving as a great buildup to the first of hopefully many big fights. Im surprised by Yang Duanhe who is really proving to be quite well considering, our man Bi, and other elite characters in Zhengs crew.

when she rallied her troops and they rose from being "dead" I was like wow and then shocked and amazed when they all managed to retaliate. The mountain folk are powerful indeed

I do wonder what new skills Xin will unleash, since Zuo Ci looks a bit stronger than Mutta. and if Zheng will get in on the action.

I can also never unhear Ichigo in Xin and even more in battle he definitely acts like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom