• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Madoka is one of those shows that's best watched during it's airing date. It's not worthwhile if you approach it late.

I think a case could be made for approaching it with absolute ignorance to the show itself but I'd imagine a lot of the charm would be lost knowing much going in.

cajunator

Banned
I think a case could be made for approaching it with absolute ignorance to the show itself but I'd imagine a lot of the charm would be lost knowing much going in.

While that is definitely true for a first viewing, the show still works after multiple viewings simply because it is visually striking and entertaining to watch. It doesn't really drag or suffer from pacing issues.

Rurouni Kenshin: Shin Kyoto-hen part 1. Its like walking down memory lane. Surprised the original cast is back. Seen the original, the OVA, old anime film and now this. Don't even want to know anything about the live action one. Have absolutely no hope for that.

Grzi

Nana Toshi Monogatari

Pretty good. Based on a novel by the author of LOGH, I think this shit has the potential to turn out nice as a full series. I liked the premise, it has that old-school post-apocalyptic vibe but done in a non-trashy way. The world is pretty interesting and it gives opportunities for some great stories and conflicts. Too bad it's only 2 episodes long so we only get a small fragment of the story.
The animation was not bad, the art was great at times and I even liked the music, although it could be considered bad, it basically sounds like a soundtrack to a 16-bit shoot 'em up, or a 90's action movie. It does give a certain charm to the show though.

Fire Emblem OVA

This was meh all the way, not that I didn't enjoy it, I did in a way, but I have a thing for typical 80's and 90's fantasy anime, all following the same formula but still being charming in their simplicity.

Dresden

Hyouka - 17

41KeS.jpg

It's probably one of the strongest individual arcs in recent years, and will remain so for quite some time. One of those things where seemingly everything comes together in a very pleasing way, and where the payoff is as good as the setup. I've had my complaints about Hyouka, but the Festival arc is the best thing to happen this season.

Let's hope that the last few episodes can maintain this sort of fun and quality.

Final Score: 2.4/10

Defuser

Rurouni Kenshin: Shin Kyoto-hen part 1. Its like walking down memory lane. Surprised the original cast is back. Seen the original, the OVA, old anime film and now this. Don't even want to know anything about the live action one. Have absolutely no hope for that.

So you rather have hope in a DEEN anime written by Mari Okada instead of the a live action movie which is directed by the guy who direct Ryomaden the most popular drama in Japan? Ok.

So I can finally access Gaf again. I completed Gundam Seed Destiny, damn what the fuck was that. It was really good till episode 30 or so. Very confusing, one sided self righteous Kira, useless wars, useless repetitive antagonists.

6/10, only for the first half of the series, I might give it a lower score later on.

Kazzy

Tari Tari 7

tpW2F.jpg

Oh, Wien, I do love your naive ways.

More like drama drama, amirite? So it's Sawa's time to shine and it kind of validates her character design. It seems deliberate now, that nearly everyone appeared to be hyper-component at the offset. Its nice to see those preconceptions being turned around as the series progresses, but maybe that's just me.

VZu1S.jpg

Again, Wakana's dad is amazing.

It looks like its going through all the casts aspirations now, so I hope it does give equal time to delve into them all.

Nice touch with the closing slightly changing over time too.

BluWacky

It's probably one of the strongest individual arcs in recent years, and will remain so for quite some time. One of those things where seemingly everything comes together in a very pleasing way, and where the payoff is as good as the setup. I've had my complaints about Hyouka, but the Festival arc is the best thing to happen this season.

Which episodes do cover the festival arc? And do I need to have watched anything other than the first episode to understand anything about it? I didn't hate the first episode, but I tend to admire KyoAni works on a technical level these days rather than actually enjoying them so if it's not worth watching any of the rest of it then I might just give these episodes a go given how everyone's been singing their praises.

duckroll

Which episodes do cover the festival arc? And do I need to have watched anything other than the first episode to understand anything about it? I didn't hate the first episode, but I tend to admire KyoAni works on a technical level these days rather than actually enjoying them so if it's not worth watching any of the rest of it then I might just give these episodes a go given how everyone's been singing their praises.

Ep12-17. You don't really need to know anything. It actually feels like a movie in a way, or the start of a second season, where there's a short gap between what happened previously.

Dresden

Starts on episode twelve, I skipped ahead with little trouble.

So you rather have hope in a DEEN anime written by Mari Okada instead of the a live action movie which is directed by the guy who direct Ryomaden the most popular drama in Japan? Ok.
Live action movie adaption of animes haven't done well. Maybe I've been watching the wrong ones or haven't heard of ones that did.

BluWacky

I knew the whole story going in when I eventually watched the whole show and it merely makes it "good" rather than "great".

Madoka's main enjoyment comes from the plot twists -although the mishmash of art styles is interesting and there are some isolated moments where the show looks particularly good (towards the end, mainly), it's not a particularly interesting show visually and the characters outside Homura and Sayaka are quite flatly drawn (and Sayaka is an idiot, frankly). It is still a very entertaining story, though - just without any of the "OMG WHAT IS GOING ON PLOT TWIST HOW COULD YOU BE SO CRUEL" stuff that helped fuel the show's rabid popularity as it aired.

Dresden

accel world - 19

What a goddamn boss. Raises up a pair of lolis as his apprentices and everything. Cool ability as well, as situational as it may be.

It was pretty fun. Also the girls are always broken as fuck in this game. That magical girl reset the whole fucking map, man.

I knew the whole story going in when I eventually watched the whole show and it merely makes it "good" rather than "great".

Madoka's main enjoyment comes from the plot twists -although the mishmash of art styles is interesting and there are some isolated moments where the show looks particularly good (towards the end, mainly), it's not a particularly interesting show visually and the characters outside Homura and Sayaka are quite flatly drawn (and Sayaka is an idiot, frankly). It is still a very entertaining story, though - just without any of the "OMG WHAT IS GOING ON PLOT TWIST HOW COULD YOU BE SO CRUEL" stuff that helped fuel the show's rabid popularity as it aired.
Homu is very flatly drawn. Flat as a board.

BluWacky

Live action movie adaption of animes haven't done well. Maybe I've been watching the wrong ones or haven't heard of ones that did.

You'd be surprised. Given that most live action movie adaptations are manga adaptations (which is what Kenshin is, really), of the top ten grossing films in Japan so far this year, four are live action manga adaptations - Thermae Romae, Umizaru 4, Always - Sunset on Third Street '64, and We Were There.

At least they announced Naruto Shippuden movie, all viz did was just put it on sites and show its box art...not even giving it time at any conference.

Ah and Code Geass...hope someone in US got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom