• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Round 1, Group B, Day 2 Results:

B06
1st 417 Toki Onjouji @ Saki
2nd 192 Airi Sena @ Mashiroiro Symphony ~The Colour Of Lovers~
3rd 74 Tsumiki Miniwa @ Acchi Kocchi

-----------------------------------------------

she-does-want-pie.jpg

Once again yuri conquers all.

Soma

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita Episode 08

ihO0Mnhklz770.jpg

Okay.

Even though half the episode was a recap of the previous one.

I just wanna say I think it was all worth it just for that punchline in the end.
Talking
Assistant-kun was interesting to see. There was something pretty profound about the ending dialogue too. In any case I liked this arc and it's definitely my favorite next to the first one.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Fresh Precure Movie: blah blah blah Toy Kingdom:

Franchise that sends its entire cast of characters down the memory hole every year so that it can refresh its toy line creates a villain who wants revenge against Earth's children for the loneliness of discarded toys. Hmm...

Hidamari Sketch x365 4.1

s98aP.jpg

Cute cat? Cute cat.

Shin Oonuma brought his special directing touches to this half-episode about a cat who wanders into Miyako's life. What I liked most was the use of thick, bold, angular hiragana to represent the cat's loud, annoying snoring - it's a happy marriage of sight and sound and vividly portrays how bothersome it is to Hiro:

As you would expect from Oonuma, not everything he tries works, as a washed-out color scheme used to create a bit of poignancy
at the cat's disappearance
is a bit much; you have to squint to make anything out.

It's a nice idea though, and would have worked if deployed with more subtlety.

Hidamari Sketch x365 5

While not as strong as Tatsuya Oishi's episode, the direction of this episode was still above-average. I assume that the storyboarder, Michio Fukuda, was influenced by Oishi in the following framing:

as it is very reminiscent of Bakemonogatari in the way it uses physical objects in the foreground to block off and organize characters in the background, especially since this perspective reoccurs in various shots with the position of the books changing in each one. Fortunately this isn't just random nuttiness for the sake of it, as their position does indicate character relationships - for instance, this shot focuses on Sae and Chika and creates a diagonal line between them to symbolize the conflict that has arisen in their conversation.

Lastly, I find this visual style, used for a couple shots, very appealing with its simple pastel colors and thick outlines. I would welcome more of it.

Muv Luv Alternative Total Eclipse 8
tumblr_m90uqaAfIc1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Pretty nice episode for Yuuya Bridges and Yui especially for the 94 second
which hopefully we get to the see the rail gun in use, though I do wonder why Yuuya had those negative looks about it.

The USSR and Russia Cryska & Inia v those kids there and the negative relations they had was odd, arent they of the same country? Oh well, glad Yuuya stepped in

Narag

Muv Luv Alternative Total Eclipse 8
tumblr_m90uqaAfIc1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Pretty nice episode for Yuuya Bridges and Yui especially for the 94 second
which hopefully we get to the see the rail gun in use, though I do wonder why Yuuya had those negative looks about it.

I think he's excessively worrisome and was trying to bait Yui into an argument there and didn't know what to say when she didn't react as expected.

The USSR and Russia Cryska & Inia v those kids there and the negative relations they had was odd, arent they of the same country? Oh well, glad Yuuya stepped in

The kids were Kazakh and Georgian, not Russian. Most of the Soviet refugees were Russians that fled to Alaska so there's animosity between them and the ethnic groups left behind to defend the "motherland."

cajunator

Banned
Space Brothers 21

The candidates are finally free from those sealed environments. Those stupid capsules will not be missed.

I found the capsule episodes to be pretty fascinating. It allowed us to really see into the minds of each character and how the interacted as a unit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yes, I meant it quite literally. Ryuuka is Toki's pillow, as well as her yuri love interest and friend. (Toki's the sick girl, you see... she needs her rest.)
You mean faux-yuri love interest! lol
I think invisible-girl is really the only canon yuri-obsessed person!

From the P4 Arena thread:
Yu/Charlie looking swag. lol

---

ANNCast had a couple of voice actors as guests this week and the one thing I found interesting is that at least one of the guests was ready to say that he finds it awkward when people say they prefer the dub over the sub, since he sees the Japanese seiyuu as the "original" voice of the character. Which was a nice contrast to Zac, who was basically ready to shit all over the sub-only people.

It's still pretty rude for fans to line up just to tell the voice actors that they think the Japanese versions are better though. People are dicks regardless of their fandoms I guess. :p

wonzo

Banned
Chitose Get You! 8

chitose8.jpg

I'd be amazed if the guy's still allowed to work and the Welfare Department after that all the questions about him and Chitose...

... this show really is painfully unfunny at times.

Well in the manga
Nodoka and Yuki
were talking about becoming a couple :p

That's from before Nodoka met Saki, it's important to note. But yeah, one of the Saki Picture Drama episodes covers that same part too, if you haven't seen them.
Nodoka describes how thanks to science, through IPS two women can have a child together. Also, Yuki hits on Nodoka. Of course, she does stuff like that in the Saki series too, though mostly to Kyoutarou... which is why Yuki is mentioned as the only probably bi character.

You mean faux-yuri love interest! lol
I think invisible-girl is really the only canon yuri-obsessed person!
Some of it's faux, sure, but Saki/Nodoka is at least becoming legit too... Nodoka is obviously interested, with all those blushes, that tsundere moment in the last Picture Drama, etc. That conversation I mentioned above establishes her even more as a potentially legit lesbian, I think.

Also, Mihoko probably does have an unrequited crush on Hisa, as well.

But what, you're saying that Toki and Ryuuka are just close friends? Sure, could be. But regardless, Ryuuka is definitely Toki's pillow. :)

Code Geass: Nunnally in Wonderland

A dark hipster take on the Code Geass story.

Grade:

Overall : F
Overall (sub) : C-
Story : A
Animation : A
Art : D-
Music : D

+ Truly subversive, dark, and unique take on the magical girl genre. Wildly creative art direction.

− Limited episode count and high price of entry make the show inaccessible to an audience unwilling to shell out. No Pizza Hut references.

Did you rate the story an A in comparison to Code Geass season 2?

Instro

Space Family Carlvinson

jA2c845Yt9UKF.jpg
jbbPZ7eBrLzYss.jpg

This a pretty cute and entertaining OVA. The basic story is about a group of alien space actors who take in a orphaned girl after her parents die in a space ship accident. The anime follows the misadventures of the little girl, who they name Corona, and her new family. The character designs for the aliens in this are really neat I think, and rather unique as well. Plus they animate in cool ways sometimes during the show, or are doing silly things like playing guitar, which makes it pretty fun to watch. In general there are laughs to be had, so I had a good time watching it. Apparently the manga its based on was created by Yoshitoh Asari who is currently working on the Eva movies. A step down imo :(. Masahiro Sekino is somewhat notable and was apparently the animation directnor for this. He has done key animation on various anime like Macross Plus, FLCL, Gundams, Ninja Scroll etc. Not that it's particularly pretty or anything, but it does have its moments visually.

jbz3TOLO8IAFU1.jpg
jbrGjFjFaKvp5j.jpg

So basically, 80's moe with aliens, spaceships and mecha.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Space Brothers 21

The candidates are finally free from those sealed environments. Those stupid capsules will not be missed.
We're free, finally free! It really was Endless Eight 2.0.

I found the capsule episodes to be pretty fascinating. It allowed us to really see into the minds of each character and how the interacted as a unit.
They were fine, just - and I can't believe I'm saying this - visually boring for the most part. The fact that they completely ignored the third group made it a bit pointless as well.

Some of it's faux, sure, but Saki/Nodoka is at least becoming legit too... Nodoka is obviously interested, with all those blushes, that tsundere moment in the last Picture Drama, etc. That conversation I mentioned above establishes her even more as a potentially legit lesbian, I think.

Also, Mihoko probably does have an unrequited crush on Hisa, as well.

But what, you're saying that Toki and Ryuuka are just close friends? Sure, could be. But regardless, Ryuuka is definitely Toki's pillow. :)
Is it really legit though? lol Picture Dramas don't count!

And I think Mihoko is just being shipped hard with Hisa. That's probably unofficial.

I think the dirty secret is that every character in the Saki-verse has a boyfriend. lol

Most of the Picture Drama stuff was also in the manga, though, so at least most of it's official... IPS was in the manga too, anyway!

And I think Mihoko is just being shipped hard with Hisa. That's probably unofficial.
Oh no doubt, most of their "relationship" is fan shipping. I see no sign that Hisa has any feelings for Mihoko, certainly (if she likes anyone, which isn't clear, it's more likely Mako than Mihoko...). But Mihoko? She might. She certainly was very interested in Hisa, that's what set off the speculation to begin with...

I think the dirty secret is that every character in the Saki-verse has a boyfriend. lol
Unlikely. :) (Yuki might be bi, but she's the only one ever shown with even teasing interest in a male...)

cajunator

Banned
Space Family Carlvinson

jA2c845Yt9UKF.jpg
jbbPZ7eBrLzYss.jpg

This a pretty cute and entertaining OVA. The basic story is about a group of alien space actors who take in a orphaned girl after her parents die in a space ship accident. The anime follows the misadventures of the little girl, who they name Corona, and her new family. The character designs for the aliens in this are really neat I think, and rather unique as well. Plus they animate in cool ways sometimes during the show, or are doing silly things like playing guitar, which makes it pretty fun to watch. In general there are laughs to be had, so I had a good time watching it. Apparently the manga its based on was created by Yoshitoh Asari who is currently working on the Eva movies. A step down imo :(. Masahiro Sekino is somewhat notable and was apparently the animation directnor for this. He has done key animation on various anime like Macross Plus, FLCL, Gundams, Ninja Scroll etc. Not that it's particularly pretty or anything, but it does have its moments visually.

jbz3TOLO8IAFU1.jpg
jbrGjFjFaKvp5j.jpg

So basically, 80's moe with aliens, spaceships and mecha.

HOLY :Cajun

Lurky

Yeah, as I say above, that's from before she met Saki.
Actually i'd be okay with this pairing. It's the best of both worlds!

Like I said before, It was in the manga. As for Mihoko I think she fell for Hisa when
they went up against eachother in middle school. She states that when she went into highschool, she waited for Hisa but eventually gave up and was excited when they met again in the nagano tournament.

Narag

Oh, that crap place. They gave Fate Zero straight D's. At least in their first review. Don't know what was wrong with that reviewer.

Looks right now at least:

Overall (sub) : B+
Story : B+
Animation : A-
Art : A-
Music : A-
+ Thrilling fight scenes, interesting characters, strong production values, does an excellent job of setting up Fate/stay night.
− Some key scenes are forced, cut short, and/or lack adequate explanation, too talky at times.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Most of the Picture Drama stuff was also in the manga, though, so at least most of it's official... IPS was in the manga too, anyway!
Well, they need to make out or it's just longing looks and finger sex!
(The dirty secret is that the three Rinne girls all have secret boyfriends as well.)

Oh no doubt, most of their "relationship" is fan shipping. I see no sign that Hisa has any feelings for Mihoko, certainly (if she likes anyone, which isn't clear, it's more likely Mako than Mihoko...). But Mihoko? She might. She certainly was very interested in Hisa, that's what set off the speculation to begin with...
They're probably just buchou-bros and nothing else. lol

Unlikely. :) (Yuki might be bi, but she's the only one ever shown with even teasing interest in a male...)
These girls are like jpop idols. They have to pretend to be single lest they lose their lonely fans. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom