• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Infinite Stratos 1-3

This actually might be a fun show after all. Partially from the English dub, which is...special. Cecilia especially. I actually kinda got used to it by the 3rd episode so I may just stick with it. Beyond that there's nothing especially bad here. Could use some more yuri, but I could say that about a lot of shows :).

So far, Cecilia = best girl :D.

Choosing the worst girl and substituting the word "best" is an interesting approach.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
As one who has not yet seen this episode, I would say the screenshots posted certainly show that it at least has beautiful art and layouts.
Oh, well yes. If you watch Hyouka for its art you will not be let down by its most recent efforts. It does a lot of interesting things with architecture and planned cityscapes.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
You will love these movies. Which Ghibli films have you seen?

Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, and Princess Mononoke.

Hyouka 09

TEAM MISAKI TEAM MISAKI TEAM MISAKI TEAM MISAKI TEAM MISAKI TEAM MISAKI

79pIm.gif

<3 <3 <3

This is why Cajun is my friend~

cajunator

Banned
Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, and Princess Mononoke.

This is why Cajun is my friend~

Princess Mononoke is well worth seeing if you don't mind the heavy handed environmentalism. Nausicaa is similar although it takes a different approach. It does feel like a proto-Mononoke. I guess you will have to watch both to see what I mean by that.
Oh and Kiki's Delivery Service is ridiculously adorable.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Princess Mononoke is well worth seeing if you don't mind the heavy handed environmentalism. Nausicaa is similar although it takes a different approach. It does feel like a proto-Mononoke. I guess you will have to watch both to see what I mean by that.
Oh and Kiki's Delivery Service is ridiculously adorable.

I guess I wasn't clear enough, I've already watched Princess Mononoke.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ah, so that's the problem, you want to see their relationship progress. You are right about that, this isn't the kind of franchise where such things happen. This is seinen, not shoujo... but that doesn't mean that they all actually have boyfriends. Certainly though realistically some should.
I know, but that's why I think it's fake yuri!

Aww, you want to break all of the BuCap fans' hearts, don't you... :)
They're the best pairing, next to Momo and Kobayashi (or whatever her character's name is. lol)

What, are most pop singers fake lesbians, or something? Because the Saki girls aren't just without men, they mostly show some degree of interest in other girls...
They're supposed to be single so that their sad lonely fans can imagine that they could somehow marry them or whatever. But one of the videos to one of the anime songs from this season featured fake jpop lesbians. It was actually posted here, but I can't remember the name. lol
(And let's not forget taTu)

I'm sure there's a subset of fans in Japan who prefer certain dubs over the native language.

"Russian Yui is the best!"
The only people in Japan who would get dubs are reverse-importers or Ghibli fans though!

oh god damn it.

one piece.

not one piece.

er..

yeah.

Gundam Age 44
tumblr_m90rrrs2qp1ru928co6_500.png

Gundam Legilis ftw
Zehearto better win against that mobile suit? guarding the exa db!
. Anyway they are really making the ending super obvious
understanding and such

Plot
With Zehearto incharge of Eden and Kio and Asemu on the same page, as well as Asemu and Zehearto's outstanding issues and actual abilitiy to work together, I think a peaceful solution will be found for the Vegan, Earth, and Eden issue. However Flit, well Flit may just die if he is that revenge focused

So... is gundam AGE get any good? Some of the mechs i see in your screenies look pretty nice.

cajunator

Banned
Hyouka 13

The Club tries to sell more Hyouka anthologies. Satoshi joins a contest to advertise.
Mayaka hangs out with the manga club and has a monocle/mustache battle with the club president. Things are stolen. But the real mystery is where the hell did Mayaka put that manga?
I can see why animeGaf likes these episodes. So lively. Things happen. There is actual movement and lots of color.

Well, I certainly don't dislike any of them, and she was worst until episode 3.

You are entitled to your opinion of course.

However incorrect it might be :p
But you haven't seen Charles yet either.

Hyouka 18
tumblr_m90lirTkBZ1r2mfiro1_500.gif

The first half, before they left to do the investigation, was awesome. It felt like something out of some rp/fanfic I read somewhere I think, especially Satoshi's comments and reactions and Ibara's. The mystery and investigation was alright, though felt like something any decent fanfic
Houtarou & Eru
writer could write, even the mystery, especially that ending moment
Houtarou owing her one...

So... is gundam AGE get any good? Some of the mechs i see in your screenies look pretty nice.

I thought its been good, definitely in my number two spot in terms of where it ranks of all the Gundams Ive seen. 2nd gen was the best, followed by 1st gen, and 3rd gen is the least superb. The Mobile suits designs in 2nd and 3rd gen are the best ones, especially most of the suits in the 3rd gen, and it has some really interesting main characters. I enjoy it, oh and the soundtrack is good.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
To Love-ru 6
Risabeingawesome.jpg

She's my champion for a reason y'know! :)

One Piece - 512-521

I've been marathoning the hell out of this show. So glad I'm finally at
the time skip. Robin looks amazing as always, Nami.... grew. Usopp got a little buff, Sanji just grew a beard (was expecting him to start crossdressing but I guess that would anger the fanbase), and Zoro with his uber character development of getting a scar over an eye.

Luffy
now having the ability to use Haki makes him overpowered as fuck. Like, that Pacifista got demolished in one hit. Here's hoping the girls were able to get a respectable power up that puts them on the same level as the boys.. because pre-time skip Nami was underneath Chopper in my eyes in terms of strength, and that's not cool.

One Piece - 512-521

I've been marathoning the hell out of this show. So glad I'm finally at
the time skip. Robin looks amazing as always, Nami.... grew. Usopp got a little buff, Sanji just grew a beard (was expecting him to start crossdressing but I guess that would anger the fanbase), and Zoro with his uber character development of getting a scar over an eye.

Luffy
now having the ability to use Haki makes him overpowered as fuck. Like, that Pacifista got demolished in one hit. Here's hoping the girls were able to get a respectable power up that puts them on the same level as the boys.. because pre-time skip Nami was underneath Chopper in my eyes in terms of strength, and that's not cool.

What did you think of the pacing in Marineford? Because that might affect your enjoyment of the upcoming arc. It doesn't seem like you're a manga reader, so you'd probably be more forgiving of it.

I thought its been good, definitely in my number two spot in terms of where it ranks of all the Gundams Ive seen. 2nd gen was the best, followed by 1st gen, and 3rd gen is the least superb. The Mobile suits designs in 2nd and 3rd gen are the best ones, especially most of the suits in the 3rd gen, and it has some really interesting main characters. I enjoy it, oh and the soundtrack is good.

what do you mean by gens? Is it like time skips or something?

Thoraxes

Hyouka - 18

y65w1.gif

Pretty episode. Boring episode. Pretty much was carried by the visuals, and for how the mystery ended up, the only real fun was the opening scene, and the ending scene, with the middle feeling like filler.

Hopefully the next arc doesn't end with a whimper.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu Final OVA 1

I think I was "tricked" into watching this series by Wikipedia, since a few years ago I found Genshiken and was looking for other nerd shows. I have no excuse for why I watched the second season though, other than OCD. It is about a nerd girl, but it really is just a shitty harem series with the perfect guy and the girls who all want his penis.

So, hey, they're releasing an OVA to wrap up the series, so I figure I should finish it up because... of OCD. :p

yRwvJl.jpg

So, I wonder who the Kanna is in this situation? lol

czxaQl.jpg

I totally forgot that the anime-within-the-anime is a Magical Girl Lacrosse show. One step closer to a Hockey anime! Come on Japan, you can do it!

7n5hIl.png

Dat bloom. lol

Anyhow, yep, just as dumb as I remember it, but it looks like to wrap it up, they're going to amp up the love triangle drama. I think it's safe to say that OTP will win, but I want to say that the harem end is also a possibility because all the girls want to stay as friends. :p

----

Moyashimon Returns 7
So the show is finally getting to the arc that the live action TV show covered in its finale. Let's see how it goes this time around! It's all set up this episode, but I thought this was cute for some reason. lol
KG4tFl.jpg

Firemind

Infinite Stratos 1-3

This actually might be a fun show after all. Partially from the English dub, which is...special. Cecilia especially. I actually kinda got used to it by the 3rd episode so I may just stick with it. Beyond that there's nothing especially bad here. Could use some more yuri, but I could say that about a lot of shows :).

My bro.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
What did you think of the pacing in Marineford? Because that might affect your enjoyment of the upcoming arc. It doesn't seem like you're a manga reader, so you'd probably be more forgiving of it.

I thought it was pretty slow. Like the battle itself went on for what felt like 20+ episodes, and it wasn't until they got to the part where
Akainu put his fist through Ace's body that it began to get interesting again.

I read the manga awhile back. From what I can remember I was at the part where
the crew were on their way to mermaid island/or they just got there. I could've sworn there was a mermaid there who's happens to be Arlong's sister. I believe that was the latest chapter out at the time, and after that I just didn't get back on it.

After I get caught up to where they're at in the anime, I do intend to go back and pick up where I left off in the manga.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Infinite Stratos 1-3

Poo. China is the best of the Tsundere-tier because she goes Yan (and they're already at the bottom!).

what do you mean by gens? Is it like time skips or something?

Yeah three different ones/ages, three different protagonists.

Eureka Seven 4 - 6
tumblr_m914z8GEZD1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Renton has been without clothes for almost as much as Holland, lol. I think he's starting to grow on me especially his attempts to do good and cool things, as well as what he did in the sixth episode for the kids. He really needs some same age companion or friend other than Eureka though as her bland personality is really awful, to the point where Id rather have Talho get way more screentime than her. Im still waiting for the anime to take off though.

Natsuyuki Rendezvous 5:
Well, this show has gone in a completely different direction from where I expected it to at the beginning (which is nice to see). Everything is shaken up this episode, so it feels completely different from the previous ones. Shimao's various backfires were pretty funny, but they only underlined the more tender moments.
The emotional reactions both he and Rokka show at various points (especially that dinner scene at the end) were really great.

The picture book stuff was also really nice looking. They did a great job bringing that to life.

trejo

Space Bros 21

While I was really enjoying this whole arc in spite of the very obvious budgets shortcuts I can't say I'm really going to miss the sealed capsules all that much.

I'm also glad that Furuya-kun got some much needed character development because, honestly, at some points he just came off as an obnoxious little bastard.

The OP and ED have also really grown on me now.

Cwarrior

SSO 20

This episode.... FUCKING OWNED!

Not only did they actually flesh out the back-story some more and actually answer some questions but they laid on a shitload of sakuga for one hell of a fight. This episode is a must watch!

How many times are going to do this to me? you fooled me twice already into watching ep11(tower one) and soma(fire ranger) vs evil female saint.

ep11- looked nice but it was your average enemy(gold saint) is way stronger then us combined but poorly executed in a boring uninteresting way.

soma vs evil female saint- you said sakuga but the episode mostly looked bad most of the time and the fight looked average but overall it was better episode then ep 11 even if it looked worse, the fight and the backstory of soma was a lot more interesting then more kouga deus ex machina.

Maybe it's my fault coming in expecting something of the level of toei 's other shounen animes like torkio's ep34.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
She has the honor of having the best personal theme at least.
Dat erhuuuuu!

But she's short. And flat. And twin tails. And fangtooth.
DFC and all that.

So you're allowed to add anything to Amazon? :p

For duckroll and SAO people.

the many faces of Batman

I'm BATMAN:
Space Bros 21

While I was really enjoying this whole arc in spite of the very obvious budgets shortcuts I can't say I'm really going to miss the sealed capsules all that much.

I'm also glad that Furuya-kun got some much needed character development because, honestly, at some points he just came off as an obnoxious little bastard.

The OP and ED have also really grown on me now.
Eh, he's fine. It's the "perfect guy" that's the blank-slate.

cajunator

Banned
Hyouka 14

Fun episode.
A little bit of manga. A little bit more cosplay. Subtle manipulation and a cooking contest.
Misaki just isn't in this show enough. That's the only downside. She is the best.
Mayaka and Chitanda were particularly cute in this episode though.
So good.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Smile Precure 27:

diCx0l.jpg
LP7Dwl.jpg

NZ4aWl.jpg
bRHKil.jpg

Nothing beats country livin'.

This was a super :firehawk episode and heavily reminded me of episode 19 (the episode about Yayoi's father) in that there was a focus on lush background art and a limited use of music in deference to more meaningful subject matter. The confrontation between Wolfrun and Miyuki's grandmother was actually really neat, not simply because of the
surprise invulnerability to the Bad End spell but that Wolfrun, in his frustrated attempt to get her to succumb, basically went so far as to tell her "you're old, you're going to die soon. How can you be this happy, especially in the face of your own mortality?" That's pretty heavy for this show.
The whole episode was an exploration of a more mature concept of "happiness" than what Precure usually deals with, and especially exploring
what happiness means to someone whose life is behind them
was really unexpected. The undercurrent of oneness with nature running through the episode and the winking references to Japanese nature spiritualism were really nicely-integrated into events.

Ltiypl.jpg

You can pinpoint the moment that Wolfrun sinks to joke villain status

Amusing that the big bad wolf actually tried to
blow someone's house down
. Wolfrun remains by far the most entertaining villain, even when he's just being a dumbass and
getting owned by defenseless grandmothers and what may or may not be several Japanese mythological creatures

Fight scene was short but oh so sweet this week.

Eureka Seven 4 - 6

Renton has been without clothes for almost as much as Holland, lol. I think he's starting to grow on me especially his attempts to do good and cool things, as well as what he did in the sixth episode for the kids. He really needs some same age companion or friend other than Eureka though as her bland personality is really awful, to the point where Id rather have Talho get way more screentime than her. Im still waiting for the anime to take off though.

Oh man, You're in for a fun ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom